Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Rugby World Cup « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Frenchman_in_the_d
Username: Frenchman_in_the_d

Post Number: 168
Posted on Wednesday, September 05, 2007 - 2:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello all,

the Rugby World Cup starts September 7th and will be held in France. It's an almost month long competition.

Do you guys know any bars, restaurants, pubs, that would show the games on TV in Detroit or Ann Arbor (preferably, that's where I am now)?

Waz
Username: Waz

Post Number: 191
Posted on Wednesday, September 05, 2007 - 2:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Check out Four Green Fields at 13 Mile and Woodward. A big rugby contingent hangs out there.

Michigan
Username: Michigan

Post Number: 1067
Posted on Wednesday, September 05, 2007 - 2:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Irish Rugby is still suffering from injuries thanks to Bayonne, those b-st-rds

Rotation_slim
Username: Rotation_slim

Post Number: 58
Posted on Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 5:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Waz is correct... info from From Detroit Rugby.org

Detroit RFC and Four Green Fields will be hosting live coverage of the 2007 Rugby World Cup that starts Friday, September 7th. Four Green Fields is in the strip mall at the southwest corner of 13 Mile Road and Woodward Ave. For better directions, enter the address at www.mapquest.com (30919 Woodward Ave., Royal Oak, MI 48073) or call the pub at 248-288-2088.
The dynamics of rugby broadcasting in the US continue to change, with Setanta getting bigger globally and demanding ever higher rates for broadcasting to pubs, and also getting into the domestic market, with the big games on tape delay, and options to purchase them live via Pay-per-View. For the past two 6 Nations tournaments, and now the World Cup, we've had to sit down and think hard about whether we can cover the cost of the feed at Four Green fields after the latest Setanta increase. The cost for live feeds for all the World Cup games is $9,000, and we've decided that we think we can cover it. The basis is that enjoyment of the games in the pub at a reasonable price, with a crowd of good people and a bit of friendly rivalry, is much more enjoyable (and less expensive) than watching at home. I hope you agree and will support us, so we can continue to have a fun and communal rugby experience.

We've decided to provide a couple of different options this year, that are focused on our regular attendees. We were very sorry at the 2003 World Cup Final, to have to turn away a few of our regular and loyal rugby supporters, because the building capacity limitations had been exceeded. This year we're going to offer season tickets that will allow entry to all the RWC games for a fixed price, or alternatively just the knock-out rounds. The key feature of both tickets is that you will get guaranteed entry to the final, so long as you arrive no later than 15 minutes before the kick-off (we can't hold places longer than this if people are queuing outside). The second feature is that for those who attended regularly, the season tickets will be cheaper than normal entry at each game.

Door charges to cover satellite feed:

Saturday and Sunday games - $10/game, maximum $20 regardless of number of games
Live Friday games (k.o. 3 p.m.) - $10
Replayed Friday games (6 p.m.) - $5
Live or tape delayed midweek pool games (Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday) - $5/day, regardless of the number of games
RWC Season ticket (entry to all games, including guaranteed entry to the final*) and RWC t-shirt - $125
RWC knock-out ticket (entry to all games from the quarter-finals onwards, including guaranteed entry to the final*) and RWC t-shirt - $75
* must arrive at least 15 minutes before kick-off.

You can pay for season tickets at the door, or by credit card at our web site:
Go to http://detroitrugby.org/mcart/ index.cgi?code=3&cat=10 and select the appropriate shopping cart item.

Schedule:
We have a live feed for all games but a very few are played in the early morning in midweek or on Sundays, when the bar cannot open. These games will be shown later the same day.

You can also download a PDF version of the schedule here - 4 Green Fields Rugby World Cup 2007 schedule

Andyguard73
Username: Andyguard73

Post Number: 244
Posted on Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 8:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm sitting here smiling because I'm wearing my 2007 World Cup shirt I picked up last week on our rugby tour of Ireland. (We played Tralee and Abbeyfeale, both in Munster Province.) Go Ireland! (And US do the best you can! lol)

Rugbyman
Username: Rugbyman

Post Number: 121
Posted on Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 8:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

$5 replays? Man, it's rough beating that. Even though the Tradesman in me will be in agony for supporting RFC, I'll still be there...

Ball's Out!

Michigan

Post Number: 1088
Posted on Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 8:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good sides Andy, how'd you do

Andyguard73

Post Number: 245
Posted on Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 10:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We were up on Tralee 26-24 about halfway through the second before we started subbing in some of the old boys who wanted a cameo on the pitch. We ended up losing by 2 or 3 tries, I think. Abbeyfeale was a hard fought game, very chippy, and we lost that won, 17-7 I think. Out of the two, I'd say Tralee was the better club. They're ball handling across the board was amazing. Even their props and second rows could make some incredible passes. By the way Michigan, how is it you're familiar with two small Irish amateur clubs?

Michigan

Post Number: 1090
Posted on Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 10:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just got back myself from Clare, Kerry, and Cork. Lots of cousins play.

Andyguard73

Post Number: 246
Posted on Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 10:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I actually met a couple of Detroiters over there. One was at the Brazen Head in Dublin, and the other was a woman from California who said her husband was from Detroit. You didn't happen to stop in at the South Pole Inn in Kerry, did you?

Michigan

Post Number: 1091
Posted on Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 10:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No sir, but I ate Coneys in Dingle from a Detroiter/Marquetter

Andyguard73

Post Number: 247
Posted on Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 10:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ha, I wish I'd found him. I had some fish and chips in Dingle that weren't what they were hyped to be.

*edit* On second thought, was he vending from a cart? If so then I know who you're talking about, and they looked great. I wish I'd found him before we found the fish!

(Message edited by andyguard73 on September 06, 2007)

(Message edited by andyguard73 on September 06, 2007)

Michigan

Post Number: 1092
Posted on Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 10:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Exactly, right in town center across from the harbor. Very good chili, interesting guy

Frenchman_in_the_d
Username: Frenchman_in_the_d

Post Number: 169
Posted on Friday, September 07, 2007 - 11:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow,
Detroit Rugby is doing a great job for the world cup. I think I will be there at 3PM.
However, do you guys know if there is anything similar in Ann Arbor. I'm taking 5 classes this semester and driving back to RO 4-5 times a week (that's a minimum) will take a lot of time and a lot of class skipping...

Tkelly1986
Username: Tkelly1986

Post Number: 406
Posted on Friday, September 07, 2007 - 12:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is one of the times I am glad I live in England now......its all over the news here and in the pubs for free....GO Ireland!!!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.