Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Frank Lloyd Wright inspired homes « Previous Next »
Archive through September 07, 2007Rsa30 09-07-07  2:08 pm
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Ericdetfan
Username: Ericdetfan

Post Number: 167
Posted on Friday, September 07, 2007 - 10:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That would suck for those with Closterfobia....lol

I took a few pics of FLW inspired homes in my area today. I named them based on the names of the streets that they are on.
http://img.photobucket.com/alb ums/v339/ericexp/FLW/Bonair.jp g
http://img.photobucket.com/alb ums/v339/ericexp/FLW/Bonair2.j pg
Even though FLW rarely used angled roofs, I can certianly understand why someone building an FLW inspired house like The Boniar house would. I think that was one of the biggest problems with his houses and its something that for the most part, he refused to compromise on. I have noticed that FLW seemed to prefer carports over garages on ones that he actually designed, so The bonair house is a good example of one. The Bonair also features pronounced angles, deep eves, custom doors, and stonework that FLW was famous for. The bonair house is off a ravine, which seems to be pretty popular in this area. The entire back on the house is windowed and the basement opens into the ravine. the only thig that ruins it for me is that someone covered up the woodwork with tan vinyl siding.

http://img.photobucket.com/alb ums/v339/ericexp/FLW/Rosetta.j pg
http://img.photobucket.com/alb ums/v339/ericexp/FLW/Rosetta2. jpg
The Rosetta house is closer to a 60's or 70'sranch than an FLW inspired house. The most noticeable reason is that the walls are stucco and painted white. FLW would have used wood, brick, stone. It caught my eye because it does have some FLW influence. The carport with the wood storage built-ins. Also the Stone wall that joins the breezeway to the house, and the large oddly shaped windows are FLW all the way.

http://img.photobucket.com/alb ums/v339/ericexp/FLW/Hillcrest .jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/alb ums/v339/ericexp/FLW/Hillcrest 2.jpg
The Hillcrest house is probably the best example of a FLW inspired house within 20 miles of me. It has a flat roof ,many deep eves and overhangs, and the stone and wood exterior that FLW was famous for. It is also a ravine lot house that the basement opens into the ravine. It does have a dormer 2nd floor that would not refect FLW's work, unless it a loft. Even though it does have a garage, its probably the original wood door, complete with custom wood trim. I also don't believe that FLW would have liked the sea foam and cream paint, either. lol

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 1712
Posted on Saturday, September 08, 2007 - 5:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you enjoy FLW houses take a look at the work of one of his apprentices, John Lautner.

http://www.arcaid.captureweb.c o.uk/Architects/Lautner.htm

Hpgrmln
Username: Hpgrmln

Post Number: 144
Posted on Saturday, September 08, 2007 - 7:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Im having breakfast right now. It almost came back up after seeing that green paint!
The styling of the rosetta house really isn't that uncommon.Seems like I recall seeing a few houses like that in the Bloomfield area.Its a prime example of 50's contemporary.There were a few houses like it in the aforementioned, demolished FLW cooperative homes. I took photos of that area right before demolition. No guarantees, but if I can find them, I MIGHT be able to scan them and post them.Again, no guarantees.

Miss_cleo
Username: Miss_cleo

Post Number: 857
Posted on Saturday, September 08, 2007 - 10:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe if we had more FLW in the city proper, we'd have more white people. Oh, can't forget the House of Blues must be close by....

------------------------------ ------------------

what the heck kind of comment is that????

Oakmangirl
Username: Oakmangirl

Post Number: 288
Posted on Saturday, September 08, 2007 - 11:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Related to other threads you perhaps didn't read.

Miss_cleo

Post Number: 859
Posted on Saturday, September 08, 2007 - 12:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh I read fine, I notice all your throwing out the race card to suit your needs.

Oakmangirl

Post Number: 289
Posted on Saturday, September 08, 2007 - 1:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Miss_cleo,

It was meant to be in jest. A reference to middle - upper middle class "white" tastes for certain arts like British blues musicians, demi-god architects, and the like. Yes, I'm guilty of generalizations, but I'm white too, so it's self-deprecating humor, not a race card. Get it?

Please try to move beyond this silly, over-simplified, knee-jerk reaction. I think you need to read some of the other, even more stereotyped rants on white culture before singling me out. Then, if you really do have issue with *just* me, bring it on. As to my "needs", please elaborate as you know me so well. If you really have something to say, please do go on.

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1409
Posted on Saturday, September 08, 2007 - 10:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

About 14 years ago I the 'opportunity' to stay in a property designed by Wright. The building was refined by an associate of his and built after his death. I was on I-94 heading to Chicago and the snow forced me off the road for the night. (When you pass by several big trucks that are flipped over you know you got to get off the road).

Well the Snowflake Motel was oddly designed, and not very well maintained. Our room was cold all night in spite of the furnace never going off. When we woke in the morning, I opened the shades and found several feet of snow that had come through the gaps in the poor-fitting doorwall. It did have a bar and a coffee shope which was sort of cool as we were pretty much stuck there.

This was one of the few Wright buildings with an angled roof. It also had lots of buil-in furniture. Here is a link with some pics. The building looked very much like this when I stayed there.

http://www.michiganupperpenins ula.com/out/hotelinfo/89163.ht ml

Every few years or so I'd drive by the place and check it out. It kept getting worse. A few years ago, it was wiped off the map.

Ericdetfan

Post Number: 168
Posted on Sunday, September 09, 2007 - 12:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well lets just say that was the worst of his work..lol

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 54
Posted on Sunday, September 09, 2007 - 8:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Miss Cleo-

Spreading joy again are we? So nice to read your blissful words.

Ericdetfan

Post Number: 169
Posted on Sunday, September 09, 2007 - 11:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://img.photobucket.com/alb ums/v339/ericexp/58_1.jpg
Mystic Valley House in Bloomfield

Miss_cleo

Post Number: 864
Posted on Sunday, September 09, 2007 - 11:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How about if I say We would have more black folks up here, if we only had more liquor stores and fried chicken shops?

oops! it was only meant as sarcastic!

Oakmangirl

Post Number: 306
Posted on Sunday, September 09, 2007 - 11:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cleo,

I'm white; poking fun at myself. Yeesh, how many times DOES a person have to explain things to you?

If you find it offensive, "boofuckinhoo", as you so eloquently like to say.

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 842
Posted on Sunday, September 09, 2007 - 11:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What is it with you people that have to get in these little pissing matches? I'm reading through a thread about FLW and I have to go through posts that seem like they're written by little kids.

Oakmangirl

Post Number: 307
Posted on Sunday, September 09, 2007 - 12:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

True, Rjk. Apologies. I was (somewhat) peacefully letting everyone worship the FLW legacy and let Miss C push my buttons. It's so interesting to read too when their is no real debate over his failed designs beyond a few people who dare question the cult of FLW. Just more of the same blind worship.

Let's see...instead of posting a link to a home or building with no questions or thoughts on it, or taking part in a childish pissing contest, let's try actually stating what we think is genius about the design, faulty, or both.

For example, Goethe called architecture "frozen music"- do FLW's designs embody this poetic viewpoint? I think that on paper, they do; aesthetically, the parts harmonize together beautifully. Is that enough, or should a structure, to be truly magnificent, also be soundly engineered? Any other thoughts?

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 108
Posted on Sunday, September 09, 2007 - 7:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

FLW was far ahead of his time for some projects and some available materials and couldn't last long enough to support his designs. Anyone here is free to try to design a building that will stand the test of time of form+function+creativity. You could become Rich!

Danindc
Username: Danindc

Post Number: 3234
Posted on Sunday, September 09, 2007 - 7:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

FLW was far ahead of his time for some projects and some available materials and couldn't last long enough to support his designs.

It's not Wright's choices of materials that were faulty. Most of the issues with his houses relate to poor detailing, especially with regard to channeling water away from the building. You'll note I stated above that the cantilevers at Fallingwater had one-quarter the amount of reinforcing steel that would be required to properly limit deflection--a major serviceability issue--that Wright conscientiously ignored because of his massive ego.

His Kentuck Knob house has the kitchen located in the center of the house. The only window is a skylight. Because of this design decision, the kitchen is the hottest room in the entire house.

Any structure requires proper maintenance, no matter what materials are used. Wright just made a lot of terrible design decisions because his ego was more important to him than the practicality of the building or the cost, which counters everything good architects are trained to do.

(Message edited by DaninDC on September 09, 2007)

Oakmangirl

Post Number: 318
Posted on Sunday, September 09, 2007 - 7:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lefty2,

FLW was a visionary designer, but I think your argument about materials being unavailable holds little weight (no pun intended). As Danindc shared earlier:

Through investigation, it was found the original design called for approximately one quarter the reinforcing bars that would be required under modern design standards to limit deflection. The original contractor expressed this concern to Wright, and he more-or-less told them to "go to hell." The contractor, without Wright's knowledge, doubled the amount of reinforcing bars.

As for designing a creative structure that does not ignore function, many others have done so. See Greene & Greene for a great example. I think they may have even influenced FLW in furniture design, as all were taken with Asian forms.

The Gamble House

http://www.gamblehouse.org/

Ericdetfan

Post Number: 171
Posted on Monday, September 10, 2007 - 12:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They should be soundly engineered, but thats not always the way it happens. Most of FLW's homes are ok in both form an function. like most artists FLW loved to experiment with different concepts and designs...Not 2 houses are completely alike that he designed..Thats the way he wanted it and thats the way it should be.

Danindc

Post Number: 3240
Posted on Monday, September 10, 2007 - 9:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^Still doesn't excuse crappy detailing and glaringly bad design decisions!

56packman

Post Number: 1725
Posted on Monday, September 10, 2007 - 11:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Correct me if I'm wrong Scotty, but if the house isn't on a sound foundation (a metaphor used for everything else from marriage to business) and the structure can't support itself all of the look and style of the house doesn't mean much........for long

Quozl
Username: Quozl

Post Number: 1369
Posted on Monday, September 10, 2007 - 11:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anybody have any information about Robert Silman Associates and their use of Non-Destructive Evaluation (NDE) techniques for existing and historic buildings?

Danindc

Post Number: 3248
Posted on Monday, September 10, 2007 - 11:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

*AHEM* What would you like to know?

Ericdetfan

Post Number: 174
Posted on Monday, September 10, 2007 - 1:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

56packman,
Agreed, but most of flws structures have withstood the test of time quite well. I think that if FLWs were created in mass, we might have less issues with houses that were built 100 to 50 years ago falling apart. If that were the case thought this topic prolly wouldn't exist. lol

I think, much like odd cars; that FLWS styles wow us and open our imaginations. When we see one we just cant help but stop and take a look.

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1354
Posted on Monday, September 10, 2007 - 1:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For those who appreciate FLW's architecture from a distance it opens their minds. But those who would own one must open their wallets whenever it rains.

56packman

Post Number: 1730
Posted on Monday, September 10, 2007 - 1:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quote: "I think, much like odd cars; that FLWS styles wow us and open our imaginations. When we see one we just cant help but stop and take a look."

Funny you should say that--FLW owned and drove a Cord L-29, the first mass produced (not really mass produced per se) front wheel drive American car from 1929 until his death in 1959. It is literally the automotive equivalent of his homes--nice to look at, another thing all together to live with every day. The L-29 is one of the worst cars I have ever driven. The three-speed transmission has straight cut gears without synchronizers, you double-clutch and still crunch every gear change. Weird steering (adjusted for the norms of that era), push n' pray brakes.

Danindc

Post Number: 3252
Posted on Monday, September 10, 2007 - 2:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

More Wright stuff--this time, the Guggenheim.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/09 /10/arts/design/10gugg.html?_r =2&oref=slogin&oref=slogin

Oakmangirl

Post Number: 325
Posted on Monday, September 10, 2007 - 3:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"But those who would own one must open their wallets whenever it rains."

LOL. So Goethe's description of architecture as frozen music does apply to FLW, except in his case, it's actually more "fluid".

Ericdetfan

Post Number: 176
Posted on Tuesday, September 11, 2007 - 12:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thats an interesting observation, prolly why most of the FLW tribute homes chose to go with angled roofs instead of the Flat ones. The Mystic Valley house was for sale when I went to look at it. I was able to speak with the owner and she told me that the roof was brand new. I guess I should have asked her how often she had done that... lol

I posted my FLW findings on livejournal in my detroit community. I got some pretty cool responses, including this:
http://www.sellmodern.com/sear chresults.html

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1363
Posted on Tuesday, September 11, 2007 - 11:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like Wright for his showmanship, but his ideas just didn't hold water. (mwah-mwah-mwahhhh)

Reportedly, when paid by Detroit for advice, he proposed demolishing the city of Detroit entirely and starting over, and even presented the idea before City Council. Now that takes some stones! (And it looks increasingly as though they took his advice to heart!)

Swingline
Username: Swingline

Post Number: 895
Posted on Tuesday, September 11, 2007 - 11:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The FLW/flat roof thing should be a complete non-issue in the 21st Century. For some time now, roofing technology has eliminated the disadvantages of flat roofs in all but the harshest of winter climates. If you have a flat roof on your historic house and continue to add on inch after inch of rolled roofing every seven years and haven't upgraded to one of the single-ply vinyl systems, you deserve your leaks. Heck, if your house is in a historic district in Michigan, you can get a tax credit for doing the work.

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1367
Posted on Tuesday, September 11, 2007 - 12:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Swing: Is that what you call a "built-up" roof?

Oakmangirl

Post Number: 334
Posted on Tuesday, September 11, 2007 - 2:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Vinyl on a FLW? Blasphemy! It's like desecrating a shrine.

Speaking of man-made materials, does the Detroit area host any Lustron homes? I think of what could be if Guyton had a hold on one of those.

http://home.earthlink.net/~ron usny/

**Answered my own question; there are several in Oak Park.

(Message edited by oakmangirl on September 11, 2007)

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1368
Posted on Tuesday, September 11, 2007 - 3:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I saw a pretty good documentary on Lustron houses a few years ago. The 1930s and 1940s were the last decades with such experimentation in U.S. housing. I think after that the building industry locked us in with the wasteful, uncreative building codes we have today. Though I don't have a lot of love for old FLW, he was part of an exciting time when people were shedding old architectural habits and striking out in new directions. And, for all of the building codes' practicability (I can already hear contractors grumbling about how many people would die each year if not for standardized building codes bla bla bla), these codes were mostly written by the industry that savored every chance to write their own profits into law, and as such they have had a regressive effect on our quality of life in the United States.

Oakmangirl: Took me a few reads to get it, but you've twisted the line from Goethe into quite a joke! E-mail me at detroitsnerd at gmail.com to get your free Lustron video!

Oakmangirl

Post Number: 335
Posted on Tuesday, September 11, 2007 - 3:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ahem, yes I guess I am a little twisted. Video? What kind of word play earns a genuine, vintage Lustron home brochure? That would be the cat's pyjamas!

Agreed on your latest post. I often wonder what historians will make of our preference for "ticky tacky" boxes and our disregard for preservation.

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1371
Posted on Tuesday, September 11, 2007 - 4:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The film is called "Lustron - The House America’s Been Waiting For". It's not bad, but probably great for somebody who's really into it! (HINT)

Yeah -- hopefully, future historians will not be so reluctant to examine how people have had their housing "choices" artificially restricted by codes, lobbies, broad-brush zoning, automotive subsidies, etc. Essentially, energy-saving houses are for people with deep pockets (the government, the well-to-do), and -- unless you're an engineer who can file papers on everything -- the best housing designs can not be lawfully built! Meanwhile, the industry just keeps churning out the same old fuel-hogging houses with water-hogging lawns in gas-hogging subdivisions. And nobody dares question it.

Ericdetfan

Post Number: 177
Posted on Tuesday, September 11, 2007 - 8:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was in chicago this past summer and went to the sears Tower skydeck. There was some writing on the wall that described a FLW designed skyscraper that was one of the original concepts for the the tower. I remember it sayin that his concept was too tall to build and had nuclear powered elevators that could carry 1000 people at a time. FLW certianly had some big ideas..lol

Oakmangirl

Post Number: 339
Posted on Tuesday, September 11, 2007 - 9:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eric, that's just downright creepy- a disaster waiting to happen. I can understand the excitement of innovatively using materials and energy, but if he suggested this post WWII...that's just plain stupid. I'm really beginning to cement my suspicion this man was a megalomaniacal twit. And this would meld with the Chicago building vernacular how?

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 119
Posted on Tuesday, September 11, 2007 - 10:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i worked for frank ghery in santa monica, ca and he awed flw's work. he saw the genius and used some of it in his work.
again, if you can create anything like flw did, people will pay you handsomely

Ericdetfan

Post Number: 178
Posted on Tuesday, September 11, 2007 - 11:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I must agree with you on that. Your thoughts are prolly exactly what everyone else thought and thats why none of FLW's influence made it into the Tower. He was much better at designing homes..

Lahinch
Username: Lahinch

Post Number: 2
Posted on Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 1:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's a local architect's personal residence for sale in Bloomfield Twp. The built-in furniture in one of the rooms reminded me a bit of FLW, as well as the public spaces looking over the woods.

http://www.realestateone.com/c ontent/PropertyBrochure.asp?li stingNumber=e27093755&agentNum ber=314199

Ericdetfan

Post Number: 181
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 6:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not quite a FLW inspired home, but I think it fits here.

http://img.photobucket.com/alb ums/v339/ericexp/Picture011-2. jpg

This home is downriver and the photo does not do it justice. I shall try to get a closer peak at it one of these days.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 5365
Posted on Tuesday, September 18, 2007 - 10:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For you FLW fans, see the Classified Ads... I'm offering 5 architecture books for sale, including a colossal 416 page full color Visual Encyclopedia on all of FLW's works.

Jiminnm
Username: Jiminnm

Post Number: 1424
Posted on Tuesday, September 18, 2007 - 10:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you're ever in wester Pennsylvania, take a tour of Fallingwater. It's an incredible house:
http://www.paconserve.org/inde x-fw1.asp

Danindc

Post Number: 3303
Posted on Tuesday, September 18, 2007 - 11:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And the almost-as-impressive FLW house Kentuck Knob is just four short miles from Fallingwater:

http://www.kentuckknob.com/

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2506
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 6:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Local Frank Lloyd Wright homes open for tour this Saturday through the 44th Annual Bloomfield Antique Show at the Cross of Christ Lutheran Church, 1100 Lone Pine Road (northwest corner of Lone Pine Rd. at Telegraph), Bloomfield Hills.

”Tour and Discussion: Frank Lloyd Wright,” Saturday, October 6, 2007, 1pm-4pm. In conjunction with the 44th Annual Bloomfield Antique Show, Frank Lloyd Wright scholar Dale Gyure, Associate Dean of Architecture at Lawrence Technological University, will discuss Wright’s work, and lead a tour of both Affleck House and Smith House in Bloomfield Hills. After attending the Antique Show and lecture, participants must provide their own transportation to and from the houses. Free with paid Antique Show admission, $6. Reservations recommended; call 248-646-5886 to register and for more information.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.