Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Chrysler hires Toyota Exec as new President « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 2026
Posted on Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 9:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just heard it on CNN...

Jim Press...They said he's going to be the new vice chairman and president

(Message edited by thejesus on September 06, 2007)

Craig
Username: Craig

Post Number: 340
Posted on Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 9:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No more Nardelli? What a shame.

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 2027
Posted on Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 9:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nardelli is CEO

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 1143
Posted on Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 10:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From the Free Press:
Now Press and LaSorda will share the titles of president and vice chairman. Each man will report to Nardelli.....

Press will oversee all sales, marketing, product strategy and service and parts around the world.

LaSorda, who has long ties to organized labor and a history with manufacturing, will oversee manufacturing, procurement and supply, employee relations and global business development and alliances.

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1798
Posted on Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 10:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

wow, that's a bit of a coup for chrysler, jim press was the first non-japanese person on the toyota board

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 2175
Posted on Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 10:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sounds like they've got a couple of good "car people" under Nardelli. Chrysler might just rebound.

Lt_tom
Username: Lt_tom

Post Number: 229
Posted on Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 11:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good for CHrysler. I wonder what kind of incentive package Cerberus gave Press. They probably paid an arm and a leg.

Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1799
Posted on Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 11:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

$40 million just for signing up

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 2703
Posted on Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 11:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

wow, hadn't heard about this other hiring ~

"Chrysler's other executive hire from Toyota was Deborah Wahl Meyer on Aug. 28. She had been vice president of marketing for Toyota's Lexus luxury division."

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/ news?pid=20601087&sid=aRJkGZPn Kh4E&refer=home

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 4900
Posted on Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 1:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Press wasn't paid millions by Toyota either, plus wasn't he the only "wide eye" on the board? Cerberus knows what they are doing.

Lt_tom

Post Number: 230
Posted on Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 1:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

$40M? Damn. Was that number from a newspaper article or did it come from Auburn hills? I think Press made about $1M a year in salary at TM. I dont know what sort of incentives he had. It looks like Cerberus is serious and in for the long haul with Chrysler, LLC.

Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1801
Posted on Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 1:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

well its just a rumor but...

http://forums.thecarlounge.net /zerothread?id=3429853

Lt_tom

Post Number: 231
Posted on Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 2:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Makes sense. Didnt the new guy at Ford get about $40M as well?

Lt_tom

Post Number: 232
Posted on Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 2:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Makes sense. Didnt the new guy at Ford get about $40M as well?

Darwinism
Username: Darwinism

Post Number: 664
Posted on Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 2:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The way things are run at Ford doesn't reflect the way things are run at Chrysler. Alan Mulally is way over-paid. Jim Press isn't paid that obscenely at Toyota, because even the CEO at Toyota doesn't get paid the way that Ford pays its chief executive.

Since Cerberus is private, they do not have to disclose anything to the public. Suffice to say it won't be as large a sum as rumored, due to the economics standpoint. Cerberus doesn't grow money on trees. Their investors aren't going to allow unreasonably obscene salaries to Nardelli + LaSorda + Press. Personally, I do not like Nardelli being brought on board, but Jim Press gets my two thumbs up.

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 1571
Posted on Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 2:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't like what I am seeing these days. All this money to lure in a few wiz kids, instead of being used to design an innovative product. I don't think this new age management gets it.

Lilpup

Post Number: 2706
Posted on Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 3:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mullaly gets $2 million a year. The upfront money he got was for what he was losing by leaving Boeing.

Bob
Username: Bob

Post Number: 1550
Posted on Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 3:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think Cerberus is really trying to make Chrysler successful. This is huge for them. Jim Press knows the auto industry. Now Chrysler just needs to build more vehicles that people actually want. They have their minivan, but their truck needs to be updated and they needs better cars besides the 300. Let's see what comes out the the relationship with Chery.

Rooms222
Username: Rooms222

Post Number: 32
Posted on Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 4:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jim Press gives a TPS report at the the Chicago Auto Show......

Toyota Production System

http://youtube.com/watch?v=uw9 vl5NjFl4

Yvette248
Username: Yvette248

Post Number: 915
Posted on Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 5:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi everyone. Just wondering... You guys can't really believe that someone on a message board really knows how much money a person makes, can you?

And Cambrian, I think it takes a little more than "an innovative design" to make a company successful, don't you think?

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 1574
Posted on Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 5:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

True, money brought in from an innovative design can do little good if the company is mis managed. Just look at AMC in the 80s, they had a hit with the Eagle, but it did little for them. However a company ran by skilled accountants would seem to be poor formula too. Bean counters would never spend money on Design, and in a competitive market, the car company that builds the cars people want wins.

Hpgrmln
Username: Hpgrmln

Post Number: 141
Posted on Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 5:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Everyone I've talked to who had a chrysler van said the transmission gave out.The Intrepids also suffer engine and transmission failure early on. I haven't heard that complaint from Toyota owners.Perhaps product quality will go up with a Toyota guy on board.I would like to think that obtaining him will lead to more reliable cars being built.Im not holding my breath just yet, though.

Yvette248

Post Number: 917
Posted on Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 6:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Agreed, Cambrian. It seems like Nardelli's goal is to bring in the best to run the functions they are best at. Wow, what a concept!

I was skeptical at first, but I'm starting to think this guy may be the real deal.

Wazootyman
Username: Wazootyman

Post Number: 255
Posted on Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 7:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hpgrmln, that problem might have ultimately been the fault of someone at the top.

I work for an automotive supplier, and amongst other pressures, one of the greatest is to cut costs. As an engineer, it is VERY frustrating to bring an excellent design to the table, only to have it stripped because it's too costly. Small decisions, such as using nylon screws instead of the originally intended metal screws may save pennies per unit - but cost millions when a major failure is discovered years later due to that decision. It's not usually the engineers who make that call.

While quality is huge, so is quick time to market. It's a balance that sometimes ends unfavorably for the consumer.

Unfortunately, sometimes you can't predict a failure until it's been out in the field, and by then you've got millions of units that have failed or may soon fail. While the supplier of the transmission is mostly at fault, it is Chrysler that decides what to do; in the public's eye, it's THEIR product that failed. Recalls can help and hurt a reputation at the same time. They cost Chrysler and the supplier a LOT of money. Recalls can entirely bankrupt smaller suppliers.

I would say that the head guy can make or break a company, as he has the biggest say in how resources are directed.

Lilpup

Post Number: 2711
Posted on Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 7:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You think Nardelli brought him in or the honchos at Cerberus did?
IIRC the guy who founded Cerberus grew up blue-collar, son of a steelworker, not some Wall Street who knows nothing but numbers. He's a former paratrooper & one article I read says he drives a Chevy pickup to definitely non-fancy offices in NYC. Sounds like he might be a little hands-on.

Yvette248

Post Number: 920
Posted on Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 9:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Lexus lady was picked by LaSorda. Nardelli is running the show.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 3837
Posted on Friday, September 07, 2007 - 6:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

And Cambrian, I think it takes a little more than "an innovative design" to make a company successful, don't you think?

Yeah! A successful company might just need another marketing schmuck lying around the place.

Lilpup

Post Number: 2741
Posted on Saturday, September 08, 2007 - 8:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They got GM's former top exec in China, too!

quote:

Chrysler Hires Chief for Asia

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/09 /08/business/08auto.html

HONG KONG, Sept. 7 — Chrysler has named Philip F. Murtaugh, perhaps the best-known auto executive in China, to be its chief executive for operations in Asia.

Mr. Murtaugh, who is still followed by crowds of Chinese reporters at public appearances, spent nearly a decade building General Motors into the second-largest automaker in China. He resigned in March 2005, when a corporate reorganization took away much of his autonomy.

He has spent the last year as executive vice president of G.M.’s main joint-venture partner in China, the Shanghai Automotive Industry Corporation, overseeing that company’s effort to build its own domestic brand.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.