Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Do we need a new zoo? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Little_buddy
Username: Little_buddy

Post Number: 27
Posted on Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 3:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was down in Columbus this past weekend and went to the zoo, it was really great! Big, I only was able to take in half of it. Toledo also has a nice zoo, small, but clean. I think we need a new zoo. Where would you put it? Would we just expand into the golf course that is next door? Any thoughts

Hans57
Username: Hans57

Post Number: 192
Posted on Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 4:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

asinine.

Jdkeepsmiling
Username: Jdkeepsmiling

Post Number: 297
Posted on Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 4:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would argue that instead we need to focus on a new aquarium. We are a very large city on the Great Lakes. Why can't the city and various stakeholders get together and raise enough to open a world class aquarium?

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 10010
Posted on Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 4:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Until we can get regional support for the zoo, DIA or any other attraction there is no way that we can do anything better.

We live in SE Michigan where most people think supporting the arts is watching a show on PBS once a year.

Michigan
Username: Michigan

Post Number: 1080
Posted on Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 4:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

no

Deandub11
Username: Deandub11

Post Number: 148
Posted on Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 4:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What's wrong with our zoo? I agree with the aquarium.

Motorcitydave
Username: Motorcitydave

Post Number: 88
Posted on Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 4:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why would you want to move it??
If anything just keep improving it (as they have been the past few years) in it's current location.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 2708
Posted on Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 4:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Until we can get regional support for the zoo, DIA or any other attraction there is no way that we can do anything better."

Those institutions that have had administration privatized are getting more support. The DIA might not be rolling in cash, but it's substantially better off than it used to be. The DHS and the zoo have been more recently turned over. DHS seems to be doing better, the zoo is going to take more work just due to the nature of it.

Danindc
Username: Danindc

Post Number: 3208
Posted on Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 4:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

More bread and circuses?

Michigan
Username: Michigan

Post Number: 1084
Posted on Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 4:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why Dan, do you think Detroit needs more "Ghetto Bars"?

Southen
Username: Southen

Post Number: 262
Posted on Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 4:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just improve what we have. They have been updating and building nicer exhibits over the years and they should continue with that trend. No point in building new when the foundation is already there it just needs some nicer exhibits thats all.

I too am a fan of getting an aquarium for the region. I think it would be a great asset just like it is for cities like Chicago.

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 385
Posted on Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 5:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They have a hard enough time paying for what we have right now. The city is trying to unload the golf course so that won't fly.
I say fix up what they have and get it on solid financial ground.

Drjeff
Username: Drjeff

Post Number: 6
Posted on Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 5:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Detroit Zoo is great as is! It really has been improved a lot of the past few years.

Hpgrmln
Username: Hpgrmln

Post Number: 140
Posted on Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 5:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I worked at the zoo (security) 5 years ago. It was going downhill then. Exhibits were growing increasingly emptier and more overgrown with weeds.I visited a year later and it was even worse.Way too many unused exhibit spaces.It was looking pretty shabby.
a new zoo? No. But definitely a lengthy makeover and more animals

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 1565
Posted on Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 5:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Build it at 32 Mile!

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 3643
Posted on Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 7:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Move it to a vacant area in the city proper. That's the only way you could improve on it. I would not be averse to a consolidation at Belle Isle, but you'd have to part with a lot of nice buildings and landscapes there at the current location.

If we truly are falling behind places like the Columbus Zoo (that hurts), then we need to get the zoo some more money, and we can't let it go the way of the Belle Isle attractions. This is best done through increasing private donations.

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1402
Posted on Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 8:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What the zoo needs:

- More benches
- Additional shade trees
- Picnic Tables (Its called the Zoological Park for petes sakes, let folks picnic!).
- Better signage.

What we don't need:
- An expensive public works project that duplicates something we already have.

Ray
Username: Ray

Post Number: 992
Posted on Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 8:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would say improve the zoo but keep it. its very charming

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 91
Posted on Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 8:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's the the New Zoo Review coming right at you...
from Skipper:
Hey Little_buddy. Only if you finance it.

Ccbatson
Username: Ccbatson

Post Number: 3259
Posted on Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 9:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They don't need more space, they need a better design and layout that is more visible to the visitors.

Hybridy
Username: Hybridy

Post Number: 142
Posted on Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 11:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

zoos are pointless. me n the lady friend took a date there last year-worst smelly date ever. i love to support the arts and culture, but its a dying endeavor. i'm no animal rights activist but its depressing to go to a zoo and see an animal living in captivity like that. to them, we look like the fat fanny-packing fools in white shoes that we are when we go to europe. so they're supposed to act all happy to see us? they'd be better off in a protected area/preserve type area or their native lands for christos sake. go to the state fair and see the domesticated animals that we commonly eat-yum. conservatories and places like the mitchell domes in milwaukee are an endeavor of higher caliber and learning. the rest can be seen on planet earth on high def-nough said

Sstashmoo
Username: Sstashmoo

Post Number: 358
Posted on Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 11:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"We live in SE Michigan where most people think supporting the arts is watching a show on PBS once a year."

LOL

Pete
Username: Pete

Post Number: 95
Posted on Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 11:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have an annual family membership to the Detroit Zoo and take my daughter about once every couple of weeks. I love it, and really couldn't ask for anything more.

Have you been to the zoo lately? It's well-landscaped, the displays are very nice, and it's a great place to spend an afternoon. And there are plenty of benches and picnic tables.

And by the way, aquariums are so 1980's economic development projects. It would be a financial white elephant (as most are) and community resources could be focused on so many other ideas.

Oakmangirl
Username: Oakmangirl

Post Number: 276
Posted on Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 11:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"they'd be better off in a protected area/preserve type area or their native lands for christos sake."

We're getting a Christo?!? Hot dog! Wonder if he'll swathe Belle Isle for us...

Er, seriously, I believe wild animals should roam free too.

As for Toledo; it's way overrated. Our penguins kick butt!

(Message edited by Oakmangirl on September 07, 2007)

Ccbatson

Post Number: 3337
Posted on Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 11:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Check out Toledo, and San Diego to see what could be.

Citylover
Username: Citylover

Post Number: 2611
Posted on Friday, September 07, 2007 - 1:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Toledo? Please! The Toledo zoo is about half the size of the Detroit zoo;it(Toledo zoo) is simply not the level of zoo that Detroit is. In fact the Detroit zoo was very innovative being the 1st when it was built to create an environment that wasn't just cages and spectators but rather to mimic a more natural setting_ and this was in the 1920s.

This is a dumb thread.No we don't need a new zoo. Go and support the one you have it is a pretty damned good zoo.

Lombaowski
Username: Lombaowski

Post Number: 49
Posted on Friday, September 07, 2007 - 5:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chicago Tribune did a ranking of six midwest zoos and the Detroit Zoo came in 5th. Very subjective ranking but the Detroit Zoo used to be one of the best in the nation and I'm pretty sure it would have a difficult time making that kind of claim now. The zoo in Cincinnati is definitely better IMO but that said I have probably only seen two better zoos in my life and the other is the San Diego zoo. I think improvements could be made but it's still a great place to spend a day.

Tompage
Username: Tompage

Post Number: 37
Posted on Friday, September 07, 2007 - 6:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sell the existing suburban zoo property for millions. Use that money to build a new first class zoo in the City. I suggest the old derelict Packard plant site for a new zoo.

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 840
Posted on Friday, September 07, 2007 - 6:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^ That would only cover a fraction of the cost of building a new zoo. The polar bear exhibit at the zoo alone cost around 15 million dollars. Even if the city had the money they have more pressing needs.

(Message edited by rjk on September 07, 2007)

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 6476
Posted on Friday, September 07, 2007 - 7:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Do we need a new zoo?

NO! I like the zoo where it is in Huntington Woods. Barless and open nature to all animals.

Rb336
Username: Rb336

Post Number: 2010
Posted on Friday, September 07, 2007 - 7:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have been to many zoos, both the chicago zoos, all the NYC zoos, the national zoo to name a few. I hadn't been to ours since well before I moved to NYC, and when I returned, i was very pleasantly surprised. Ours stacks up fairly well, it is better than any of the NYC facilities (I worked for them for a couple of years) or chicago, not quite as good as some others

Motorcitydave
Username: Motorcitydave

Post Number: 89
Posted on Friday, September 07, 2007 - 9:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Check out Toledo, and San Diego to see what could be."

I've been to San Diego, and all I can say is SMALL EXHIBITS!!! I felt bad for the animals they we're so small. San Diego is way over rated.

That is definitely one thing Detroit has over any of the zoos I have been to, is large exhibits.

Gingellgirl
Username: Gingellgirl

Post Number: 45
Posted on Friday, September 07, 2007 - 10:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Move all the carnivores to the Silverdome. Charge people 20 bucks a piece to "interact" with the animals a la Jurassic Park. Then, sell their cars when they don't claim them within three days.
It's a win-win! ;-}

Paulmcall

Post Number: 388
Posted on Friday, September 07, 2007 - 10:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Plenty of wild animals in Detroit. Many of them should be behind bars.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 10029
Posted on Friday, September 07, 2007 - 10:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Plenty of wild animals in Detroit. Many of them should be behind bars.

Way to stay on topic with more of your wonderful 'insights'

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 2032
Posted on Friday, September 07, 2007 - 10:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lol gigellgirl

Upinottawa
Username: Upinottawa

Post Number: 936
Posted on Friday, September 07, 2007 - 10:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Metro Detroit could use more tourists. These tourists would then go to the zoo, the DIA, etc. adding more money to those institutions' coffers thus allowing them to improve, expand, renovate.

Of course, any increase in tourism is dependent on a revived Detroit.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 3644
Posted on Friday, September 07, 2007 - 11:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tourism is often hindered by the sprawl of our area, and, more so, the lack of transit. Are we to assume that all visitors come with cars? And even when they do, do we assume that they want to drive even more around the area once they get here. What I'm getting at is that the Zoo, though a great place, has been in the wrong place since its conception. The Belle Isle Zoo was centered around numerous other attractions in the city; the Central Park Zoo and Philadelphia Zoo in the enormous Fairmount Park are also in perfect locations.

Even in the best case scenario-- when a tourist stays downtown-- a 20+ minute car ride is neccesary to go to the zoo. Add this to all the other preferred "tourist" attractions outside the city like the Henry Ford and Cranbrook, and you have people doing a lot of driving once their here, and if they come w/o a car, they'll miss out.

So, this is not so much about moving the zoo to the inner city, but it would really be grand to get a streetcar or similar clean, appealing transit from downtown to Royal Oak. This would actually help the zoo a lot by enabling more visitors to go there, and allowing metro residents for that matter to enjoy a daytrip that includes the zoo and downtown without the hassle of a car.

Paulmcall

Post Number: 389
Posted on Friday, September 07, 2007 - 12:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You can take a bus from downtown to Woodward and Ten Mile now then cross the street and you are at the zoo!

Little_buddy
Username: Little_buddy

Post Number: 28
Posted on Friday, September 07, 2007 - 5:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My son lives outside Columbus and he took us to the zoo, I enjoyed it alot and it is big and expanding. I haven't been to the Detroit Zoo in a couple of years and it just seemed to be run down, old and dirty. Maybe it has cleaned up, I don't know. With close to 5 million people in the metro Detroit area it seems that the zoo should be world class, with aquariums.

Rrl
Username: Rrl

Post Number: 891
Posted on Friday, September 07, 2007 - 6:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Buddy-
Apparently, from your own statements, you're not supporting the current zoo. Who do you expect to pay for this new park?
I agree w/ Citylover on this one, go support the one we have. Many more pressing issues than to build an expensive new attraction.

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1949
Posted on Friday, September 07, 2007 - 7:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Now the only zoo in Columbus that I have ever visited is the Ohio State stadium, but I have been visiting our Detroit Zoo in RO back when they had two Detroit News-donated black steam engines pulling attendees to Africa and Joe Mendy was a big-time attraction.
I say our zoo is a gem, and ranks very low on the radar screen as far as replacement is concerned. In fact, I say we don't need to consider replacement at all.
Next question, please.

Raggedclaws
Username: Raggedclaws

Post Number: 45
Posted on Friday, September 07, 2007 - 7:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sadly, the Detroit Zoo is no longer in the same league as the Toledo Zoo. Took my kids to both this summer - Detroit's is shabby, run-down, and badly in need of a makeover.

Detroit could not sustain an aquarium. Belle Isle Aquarium has been "shuttered" and won't reopen without the hard work of volunteers. Shame on the city leaders for allowing the zoo to slowly go the way of the aquarium. Such is the state of affairs in Detroit...

Hpgrmln
Username: Hpgrmln

Post Number: 142
Posted on Friday, September 07, 2007 - 7:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Its 2 miles from the detroit city limits in a different county.It doesn't make sense to me that they use the Detroit building dept, etc. when they aren't even in the same county as Detroit.And Im tired of arrogant, egotistical mayors in Detroit putting their name on a tower in Royal Oak. Give the land to Oakland County, Royal Oak, whoever.It'll be a lot less complicated and practical jurisdictionwise. Re-open Belle Isle, let Detroit run that. Let the Detroit Zoo become either state or county-run, relieve the city of the financial burden, and hopefully there will be no more threats of it closing.Now you'll have a functioning zoo no longer being run by the government of a city located several miles away and municipal workers/departments that have no power or clout just beyond the enterance gates.

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 891
Posted on Friday, September 07, 2007 - 8:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You can take a bus from downtown to Woodward and Ten Mile now then cross the street and you are at the zoo!

Yeah, tourists on our buses. Right.
That said, we definitely don't need a new zoo. I can think of 500 million better ways to spend tax money.

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1405
Posted on Friday, September 07, 2007 - 8:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The City has not been in charge of the Zoo for over two years now. It will not be run by Oakland County or Huntington Woods. It is run by the Zoological Society.

Tax money no longer flows to the zoo. Some may drip there to assist in maintenance, but it is up to the Society to keep everything in good repair. As for the Mayor's name? If the tower don't need painting yet, I can't see why it would be important to a non profit to spend money painting it. Once it needs a fresh coat, expect it GONE!

I have to agree with Paul. You can reach the zoo by bus. To the person who wants to move it because it is not within City limits. Remember it is not exactly out in the boonies like the Columbus Zoo. Tens of thousands of people live within walking distance of the current Zoo. There is also a nice link to Downtown Royal Oak and shopping along Woodward. It is not an island.

Ccbatson

Post Number: 3348
Posted on Friday, September 07, 2007 - 8:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So, make it a business for real. Retool it so people will want to go there. Patron friendly exhibits, where the animals are always in full view.

Citylover
Username: Citylover

Post Number: 2616
Posted on Friday, September 07, 2007 - 9:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Raggedclaws I don't know how else to put his but you are either blind or wrong. And since you did not say you were blind you must be wrong. Perhaps it is your attitude toward Detroit that makes you say it is run down. I have never heard anyone else say that.It is old and some areas may need maintenance but it is so far above the Toledo zoo that it (Toledo) hardly warrants a comparison.

Two examples: The chimps of Harambee and the Polar exhibit; both are of recent vintage and Toledo has nothing that come close. Also the acreage at Detroit is quite a bit more than Toledo and that means more room for the animals.

We are fortunate that we have the two zoos in the area. And the Toledo zoo is great for small children that can't walk alot before they tire out. The Detroit zoo is old.But it was perhaps the most innovative zoo of it's time.Perhaps that aint saying much considering the way animals were treated in the 20s when the zoo was built.But it actually holds up well and if supported would only get better........

Raggedclaws

Post Number: 46
Posted on Saturday, September 08, 2007 - 7:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Citylover: It's called an opinion. But thanks for bringing the blind into this.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 1579
Posted on Saturday, September 08, 2007 - 8:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Shame on the city leaders for allowing the zoo to slowly go the way of the aquarium. Such is the state of affairs in Detroit...

Do you live in Detroit?

Rfban
Username: Rfban

Post Number: 190
Posted on Saturday, September 08, 2007 - 8:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^ I agree Citylover "Shame on the city leaders for allowing the zoo to slowly go the way of the aquarium" What! Every time I have been to the zoo I thought it was unique, clean, and the size was adequate.

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 2539
Posted on Saturday, September 08, 2007 - 9:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Retool it so people will want to go there.

People do want to go there. I waited in a long line to get in there last year.

quote:

Patron friendly exhibits, where the animals are always in full view.

This isn't going to happen with large naturalistic exhibits, which are better for the animals. If you can't bother to spend a few minutes looking for the animals, stay home and watch TV.

Ccbatson

Post Number: 3431
Posted on Saturday, September 08, 2007 - 11:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is it better for the animals if the zoo fails financially?

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 841
Posted on Saturday, September 08, 2007 - 12:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Is it better for the animals if the zoo fails financially?"

If the only concern is just about being financially successful they could bring back the chimp shows where the chimps ran around and cycled in tuxedos and prom dresses.

There has to be a balance between what's going to bring in money but also what's good for the animals.

Raggedclaws

Post Number: 47
Posted on Saturday, September 08, 2007 - 12:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not sure how or why it is relevant but yeah, Iheartthed, born and raised.

More important, however, is that I've been to many of this country's major zoos, and to the Detroit Zoo every year and at least once a year for the last 25 years - most recently two weeks ago. I have seen a slow and steady decline.

I do continue to contribute financially. So let's see, I both frequent the zoo and help out often. Is that enough to warrant an opinion ?

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.