Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » WDET to bring back music on new HD Radio station « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 338
Posted on Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 9:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Got an email from WDET that this month they'll be launching WDET-HD2, that will provide music programming. I think this is great to try to bridge that divide - but HD radio isn't necessarily the most widespread of technologies. I'll post the excerpt text below - but first for Gannon - do you have recommendations on HD radio gear? From what I know of the format, it supposedly makes what was FM into CD quality and what was AM to FM quality, and requires a special HD radio compatible receiver.

---

The balance between "News" and "Music" on WDET is one that has shaped listener opinion
and perception about the station for years. Now, we're pleased to announce the initial
launch of WDET-HD2. WDET2 will begin as a music service that draws on WDET's history
as a leader in presenting diverse and progressive music from across the spectrum,
with a specific emphasis on Detroit artists. It will be available later this month
to all listeners equipped with an HD receiver (there are more than 25 different
models currently available). Internet broadcast of this service through wdet.org
is also under investigation. From an admittedly modest launch, we hope this service
will grow overtime to include live programming, provide volunteer and training opportunities
for budding radio producers and hosts, and provide a new platform for the exciting
and diverse music and experimental programming enjoyed by many WDET listeners through
the years. In the coming weeks, we'll provide additional informationabout WDET-HD2,
and HD Radio in general.

(Message edited by digitalvision on September 06, 2007)

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 5890
Posted on Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 10:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh happy happy joy joy! An inventive blend of radio in Detroit again? I can't wait!

Jelk
Username: Jelk

Post Number: 4573
Posted on Friday, September 07, 2007 - 12:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

More wonderful news! I think WDET is finally shaken the elephants off its back and moving in a positive direction. I've always believed that in these times WDET's primary programming focus must be news and information but hats off (and you all know I rarely take my hat off) to 'DET leadership for embracing technology to renew their music programming as well.

Of course they already brought back my two favorite people (Jerome Vaughn and Craig Fahle) so everything else is gravy. Now if only Michael Coleman could have a stroke...or at least really painful kidney stones. :-)

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 10017
Posted on Friday, September 07, 2007 - 6:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cheers to WDET for initiating more significant HD Radio content variety through Metro Detroit airwaves. Thank the good Lord their record library and live studio resources will be put to good use! Our enjoyment!

Smogboy, this inventive blend will only be hearable through a new HD Radio tuner. Think of HD like FM stereo was to AM, back in the day.

It is an enhancement available to broadcasters using digital technology to squeeze up to six channels in the space usually used for ONE regular FM or AM station. Consumers will need either to add an outboard "converting" tuner to their existing car and home radios or replace their current radios everywhere they want to hear these additional broadcasts.

Think of it like these new satellite radio services, but minus the monthly fee. Of course, the additional channels available are subject to the programming creativity and budgets of the personnel dedicated to this new information at each station...and so far in Detroit the majors have NOT chosen to advertise on their sidebands. So, no budget...no personnel, but instead a continual stream of curious music programming.

If WDET promotes both hardware conversion and enhanced revenue for the returning music programming...this will be a first in my perception, and a very welcome solution to the frustratingly slow rollout of this promising technology. I fully expect HD radio give-aways for certain levels of donations to the station, if they are NOT doing this they should...HD Radio has promotions to this end also.

Budget will equal personnel, so I would highly recommend that music lovers begin giving to WDET this pledge drive, with the specific mention that your dollars have returned because of the promise of local and other new music programming.

I'm in the midst of analyzing the marketplace for HD Radio tuners and receivers, pretty funny how easy it is because MOST of the majors have not caught onto the importance of this new free multi-channel digital enhancement.

I've currently got a stand-alone tuner in the testing studio from a firm called Sangean that is very promising for the money, and even adds remote control for station tuning. I've been waiting to see their 1.2 model with digital output, since the 1.1 model's voice clarity left some to be desired...which could be from a VERY poor Digital to Analog converter, so I want the $5k surround processor to be able to do that job instead of the $200 tuner.

Thought about it last night when I saw that HD Radio billboard on the Jeffries...it's been on the back burner until I read the title to this thread! (plus, I just got it back from a quickie loan to one of my best clients)

Cheers!

Gannon

Post Number: 10019
Posted on Friday, September 07, 2007 - 6:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just hooked it back into the main system, WDET does not have their HD2 channel broadcasting yet.

From a casual quickie survey of the other stations on the dial, they are basically using these additional channels to broadcast music outside the specific genre from the main channel.

It seems to be the music the engineers would rather be hearing...totally devoid of advertising. I've never been bored listening to any HD Radio co-broadcast!

Gannon

Post Number: 10020
Posted on Friday, September 07, 2007 - 7:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One wee correction Digital, though, to your analog/digital assumption.

Live music through WDET's analog broadcast will likely sound much better than the HD Radio digital sideband, even WITH a better D/A convertor.

CD only started approaching the sound quality of analog vinyl with over-sampling of the 44.1kHz data...the Integra Research tuner/preamp in my main reference system can double the sampling of the same data and finally makes CDs sound reasonable. That is rare technology that removes CD's harshness or hardness that makes some important frequencies glare while truncating shimmering harmonics and echoes.

Without it, even a relatively poor analog tuner will sound better with the WDET music broadcast overall than a HD radio...as with most digital 'enhancements', it is more about squeezing in more content than improving quality.

Everything in the analog broadcast electronics chain at WDET was chosen for best sound quality, their live music broadcasting has been some of the highest quality radio in Detroit for years and years.

But I'm a freak, I cannot listen to MP3s for any length of time. Analog rules.

Hope WDET has at least one live-music program broadcast simultaneously on both analog and digital so I can prove it.

Smogboy

Post Number: 5892
Posted on Friday, September 07, 2007 - 7:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gannon, I guess I'll have to step up to HD sometime soon then but in the meantime I'm hoping for internet radio. Ever since WDET ditched their eclectic music format, I've had to resort to the iPod in the car and listening to internet radio at home.

It isn't a technology frustration that I've had to deal with, it was the lack of new musical knowledge aspect that the fine staff of WDET spoonfed me back in the day. On WDET, I'm positive I wasn't the only listener that was turned onto some bit of new music that wasn't of the commercial pablum grade heard on most of Detroit radio now. What I thought was truly unique about WDET's old music format was that the people they hired to be hosts were knowledgable music people- they weren't just anonymous voices just hitting the play buttons on their decks. These people had an ear for combining different genres of music (some of which I loved and some I didn't) into a program. An ape can be taught to hit a button. True radio talent can weave music to be its own entity (think back to what the Electrifying Mojo did back in the early 80's).

Again, I'm looking forward to hearing a fun eclectic blend of some new music, some old favorites, and quirky oddities on the Detroit radio airwaves again.

Vic_doucette
Username: Vic_doucette

Post Number: 353
Posted on Friday, September 07, 2007 - 8:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You should note that there have been many complaints among broadcast geeks that HD reception is not as reliable or consistent as its makers and promoters claim.

Many of the claims do pertain to AM reception. I don't know if this is directly compatible to FM.

Here are a few links from another board I frequent.

http://mibuzzboard.com/phpBB2/ viewtopic.php?t=19780

http://mibuzzboard.com/phpBB2/ viewtopic.php?t=19839

http://mibuzzboard.com/phpBB2/ viewtopic.php?t=20485

If you have specific ?s that DYessers can''t answer, the Michigan Radio and TV Buzzboard is a good resource. Good luck.

Gannon

Post Number: 10034
Posted on Friday, September 07, 2007 - 2:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Vic,

I started doing a little survey today, and had trouble with drop-outs on WCSX, one 'just' happened in the middle of a cool Neil Young song...as I was typing this!

Their programming is much like the old AOR, Album Oriented Rock, where they will play the extended versions of songs with the weirder lead-ins and trail-outs.

Some stuff that I haven't heard on the airwaves in a long time, but I've been so stuck on NPR that anything would surprise me.

Cheers, to the Rockets...turn UP the radio!

Leading into Jimi Hendrix' 'Freedom'...this is some good shit.

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 2551
Posted on Friday, September 07, 2007 - 3:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is it time to pray for the return of Willie Wilson?

Gannon

Post Number: 10035
Posted on Friday, September 07, 2007 - 3:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Digital,

To answer your question, here is a page listing the firms that announced product including HD Radio tuners at the most recent trade show in the Consumer Electronics Industry...the CEDIA show in Denver.

You will notice the leaders in the marketplace battling it out...Denon, Onkyo, Marantz, and Yamaha...and one surprise, Rotel.

I specifically asked their PR agent about it before the show...she's in trouble. Honestly, though, she didn't even know what HD Radio IS, so I cannot fault her for missing it on the spec sheet.

Also, iBiquity (the parent of HD Radio) lists the Sangean HD tuner in their promotional products page.

WDET 'could' include it in a new $300-350 level of returning music pledgers, who would get the $299 tuner as a gift...like those sweatshirts...but still retain the $200 or so tax write-off because the station gets a discount on the tuners.

It is a solid product, comes with all connections necessary and a neat little remote control.

Digitalvision

Post Number: 340
Posted on Friday, September 07, 2007 - 3:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You're a great resource, Gannon, and your comments are much appreciated.... you still have my email address? We should re-connect.

I never would of considered buying an HD radio before now because yes, our market IS behind in pushing the technology but may do it. I need a portable one though - what would be even better is an HD radio adapter that is iPod compatible - they have radios that plug in (I own one), why not an HD radio :-)

Gannon

Post Number: 10037
Posted on Friday, September 07, 2007 - 3:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It would make sense, even have the iPod include an AM/FM/HD radio tuner that could record your own samples of a song for later reviewing and possible purchasing.

Makes too much sense.

I've been listening to WCSX's HD content for the last hour, with a wee bit of difficulty from dropouts, but they are currently playing Frank Zappa. All that effort is worth it to hear this over the airwaves, kudos to WCSX for putting forth some great content.

WDET has their work cut out for them.

Digitalvision

Post Number: 341
Posted on Friday, September 07, 2007 - 4:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Problem with that is that the record companies sue or pressure to oblivion anyone trying to do that - they put large muscle on the satellite guys to not include recording you could take off the machine. Of course, there is the analog hole :-)

Now, what is coming out along those lines is Clear Channel is now supporting iTunes tags on HD radio to "bookmark" songs and then purchase them on iTunes. What this also will do is force any of the limited holdouts to iTunes, as it is now THE platform for digital music, superseding Amazon.com recently to become #3, as well as 1/3 of all record releases are now digital-only. And, since the iPod Touch and the iPhone already have deals with Starbucks to purchase songs (a button's going to pop up while you're in iTunes in Starbucks) while you're in the store, it only reasons that they'll have an HDRadio add on to activate that feature with the upcoming tags.

Link to story: http://money.cnn.com/news/news feeds/articles/prnewswire/CLTH 16106092007-1.htm

I buy my music, and iTunes is my and most people's platform of choice - so all good news. What will be interesting also, to go on a slight rathole here, is now that video is on the Nano, you can get a PVP for $149 the size of a credit card - and for $50, you can get component out on every iPod including the iPhone. With the videos ever so slowly increasing quality, it could make the whole HD/Bluray debate moot quite soon.

Just thought of this too - the iPhone has a couple kinds of antennas within it, and the iPod touch has one too. I wonder if through a software upgrade they could turn it into an HD tuner... because the way they're engineered, it's basically a little mac with a touchscreen, meaning you could do a lot with it. Now that's speculation worthy of Apple rumour sites, and I apologize to the forum for the severe and deep rathole.

(Message edited by digitalvision on September 07, 2007)

Bob
Username: Bob

Post Number: 1552
Posted on Friday, September 07, 2007 - 5:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is good news that WDET is going back to having some music. One wish coming true, now they need to make my other wish come true, get rid of Amy Miller.

Digitalvision

Post Number: 358
Posted on Tuesday, September 11, 2007 - 10:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bumped this back up because of new info...

According to the Detroit News, WDET is supposed to be flipping on the HD-2 channel possibly this weekend but Monday is the goal. Apparently they have a new station manager, too.

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20070911/U PDATE/709110449

Gannon

Post Number: 10105
Posted on Tuesday, September 11, 2007 - 11:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Their HD-1 isn't even broadcasting right now...nor are WRIF's HD channels, which must be a co-incidence.

I'll be as diligent as I can be to notify y'all when I discover it!

Turns out the owners of WRIF, WCSX, and WMGC are in tune with this whole HD-Radio thing as well...CSX's HD-2 channel playlist always grabs me and won't let me go, the perfect array of music for this 40-something (who basically believes there hasn't been an interesting new music find through corporate media in thirty or so years).

It is way better than their main channel, probably because they don't have to worry about Arbitron's just yet.

Larryinflorida
Username: Larryinflorida

Post Number: 1027
Posted on Tuesday, September 11, 2007 - 11:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You may find that the digital channel is less compressed or squashed than it's analog counterpart on many popular stations. The way many station engineers have their analog FM processing chains set up is so overwhelmingly loud, that it creates as much listener fatigue as edgy AAC compressed digital does. Back in AM, when that gave you more transmitter power, it may have been relevant, but these days, there is a backlash against over-squashed CD's and stations.

I particularly can't listen to metal programming thru a typical FM station's razor-blade-adder, lol. The cymbals are deadly.

Smogboy

Post Number: 5914
Posted on Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 12:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Any news if WDET is broadcasting this "new" format online at all?

I was hoping for that at least to hold me over until I begrudgingly have to go out and get an HD receiver.

Gannon

Post Number: 10106
Posted on Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 12:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Other stations have put their HD-2 station on-air, and it would behoove WDET to do this for their legion of ex-patrons who are usually very computer literate even IF they won't rush out to buy a new radio.

Phaggood
Username: Phaggood

Post Number: 5
Posted on Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 10:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One wish - bring back Mick Collins' "Night Train"

Digitalvision

Post Number: 375
Posted on Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 10:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well Gannon, those three stations you mention and broadcast out of the same location. Their owner is Greater Media in Ferndale. Makes sense - they're a smaller operation and obviously see the potential. Family, and I believe, locally owned.

Gannon

Post Number: 10184
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 2:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yay!

HD-1 is finally back ON at WDET...and I heard Craig Fahle's voice over the airwaves here again this morning.

This is indeed a good day in Detroit radio...and I'm not talking about the HD stuff, either.

Craig rocks...it is really, really great to have him back in town.

Cheers!

Craggy
Username: Craggy

Post Number: 281
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 3:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mr. Gannon...

I think you'll be pretty happy with the HD service. Enjoy...now maybe we can find a way to convince folks to get the equipment!

Anyway...thanks for the kind words. Monday's subject is going to be something I'm pretty familiar with, moving. Who's leaving, why...what folks should expect when they do move, how folks who have left feel about their decision, and what they miss about Detroit.

Basically..."is the grass greener elsewhere?"

Hopefully, we'll give folks some things to consider if they are indeed thinking about leaving.

My experience away was quite mixed. Some good, some bad. However...I can say that so far, despite the issues this area faces, I'm really glad to be back. Frankly, I missed it.

I invite all of you to call in or email any questions or suggestions you have on this or any other show. I will read them all, and know this: I need all the help I can get! :-)

Craig (craggy)

Gannon

Post Number: 10192
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 6:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That'll be the last time you address me as Mr., mister!

Heh. Talk to you soon.

Burnsie
Username: Burnsie

Post Number: 1154
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 7:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

AM radio stations that broadcast in HD use "IBOC" (in-band, on-channel) to force a digital signal into the existing frequency. This is (if you live very close to the station) decoded by HD radios.

Unfortunately, if you only have a standard radio, a digital/analog hybrid IBOC station won't sound as good as the former, straight analog signal did. The frequency range is cut, and an underlying hiss ("digital hash") is heard. Interference bleeds into adjacent stations, and nighttime reception is a nightmare. Nighttime IBOC transmissions were approved by the rubber-stamp, clueless FCC and started today, coincidentally. IBOC is being pushed by an outfit called iBiquity.

Simply for the novelty of it, regardless of the programming, I enjoyed listening to WJR's former C-Quam AM stereo format. WJR was one of the best-engineered AM stations in the country. Now WJR is in IBOC. AM stereo is a technology that might be practically standard today if the FCC hadn't completely bungled the issue in the '80s.

On my '89 LeSabre, WJR sounded spectacular on the Delco AM-stereo radio. Last year WJR started running IBOC, and now the sound is crap on standard radios-- really flat and mushy. The programming was already crap, and now from a technical standpoint the sound matches it.

Fortunately, CFCO in Ontario still broadcasts in AM stereo, and with its oldies format you can hear a lot of stereo music-- always stunning coming from an AM station. AM stereo does not degrade the quality of reception on non-AM stereo capable radios. IBOC does degrade the sound on standard radios, and the FCC either doesn't give a damn or is completely clueless.

Digitalvision

Post Number: 379
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 8:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great info Burnsie. No wonder WJR sounds worse than I remember it (I left AM radio a long time ago for podcasts - commercial radio for iTunes and Magnatune). Is WWJ the same way with this IBOC you speak of (I left them too - I can go online and get much better traffic info with a mobile device than WWJ ever provides).

The only FM radio I willingly listen to is WDET (I have one other station I secretly listen to on occasion but won't admit it publicly). Guess it and I'll buy you a beer.

And in my opinion, WDET's full frequency range is so much easier to listen to than the over-compression everyone else seems to do - part of why I donate. That, and because Quinn and Craig rock.

Gannon

Post Number: 10199
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 9:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Burnsie,

iBiquity is the company behind the whole HD Radio rollout on both AM and FM.

Thank you for that observation on the degradation of AM quality after the introduction of the digital sidebands. They probably never associated the term with that broadcast type, but you've obviously enjoyed 'quality' before through the AM band.

Cheers.

Burnsie

Post Number: 1155
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 11:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Digitalvision- WWJ does run IBOC, but on standard radios it sounds a lot better than WJR-- clearer and louder in volume.

Gannon- Do FM HD stations degrade the sound when heard on a standard FM radio? It seems like most of the horror stories about corrupted audio quality are coming from the AM side.

Gannon

Post Number: 10212
Posted on Saturday, September 15, 2007 - 12:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am not ready to make that claim with the current HD Radio tuner I'm using.

It's going through an amazing reference system...with one of the best affordable Digital-to-Analog convertors, and some pretty cool speakers...and I'm waiting on the version that has a digital output so I can see if it's internal D/A is any good.

I'm reserving judgement until then.

Burnsie

Post Number: 1156
Posted on Saturday, September 15, 2007 - 10:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gannon-- I was referring to AM HD signals having degraded sound when converted to analog on a non-HD receiver. What I don't know is whether FM HD signals also have worse sound when converted to analog on non-HD receivers.

Bob
Username: Bob

Post Number: 1557
Posted on Saturday, September 15, 2007 - 5:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Still want them to get rid of Amy Miller, but Quinn and Craig do rock.

Gannon

Post Number: 10232
Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2007 - 10:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Burnsie,

Caught that, the only way we'll tell is those rare times that the HD signal goes down. Since the FCC already approved it all, I guess it would take complaints to reverse or improve it.

As for the quality at the tuner end, the other part of my reply was I hadn't compared the internal tuner of the surround preamp and the external HD one.

The NEW version of that external HD tuner allows the user to FORCE the analog reception, which may be helpful in a few a/b comparisons.

All of those tools will help answer what you seek!

I'm kicking myself for NOT recording this past week when both WRIF and WDET had their HD broadcasts down for some reason...would've been a perfect time to take a before sample, if it could be captured faithfully.

Gannon

Post Number: 10269
Posted on Saturday, September 22, 2007 - 5:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Woke up this morning...right around 3:40...to the sound of my absolute all-time favorite Rolling Stones song on the radio.

The one Rolling Stones song that doesn't get Rock-n-Roll airtime...The Girl with Far-Away Eyes from Some Girls...their best Country and Western song.

On the radio...the HD2 channel from WCSX. I'm growing increasingly fond of their mix...right now they are playing the extended lead-in to Pink Floyd's Shine on You Crazy Diamond. Heaven in a Groove.

This whole HD Radio thing is bringing back my love of music...I'd have to say I'm becoming very fond of this purchase.

WDET is going to have their work cut out for them, winning me BACK from this station. I keep checking to see if their HD2 is up yet...

Gannon

Post Number: 10272
Posted on Saturday, September 22, 2007 - 6:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OMG, they are playing the Who, Boris the Spider, now.

I cannot remember the last time I enjoyed radio as much as I do now...it was back before WDET went lamebrained, I'm sure.

There is hope yet...come ON WDET...oh shit, WCSX just seque'd into Bob Marley...Stir It UP!!

Craggy

Post Number: 282
Posted on Friday, September 28, 2007 - 5:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WDET's HD2 signal is up and running! Check it out.

Gannon

Post Number: 10510
Posted on Friday, September 28, 2007 - 7:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Craggy, you HAD to do it the one day I wasn't looking, huh?!

Civilprotectionunit4346
Username: Civilprotectionunit4346

Post Number: 514
Posted on Friday, September 28, 2007 - 7:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll keep listening to my Sirius Sat' Radio....Regular radio stinks now...The FCC has clamped down to much radio stations in the US. So much for freedom of speech.

Craggy

Post Number: 283
Posted on Friday, September 28, 2007 - 10:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Civ...what is it you feel you are missing?

Gannon

Post Number: 10512
Posted on Saturday, September 29, 2007 - 12:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Right now?

I'm missing a playlist of the amazing stuff I'm getting on WDET's HD-2 channel.

Even if it came through the RDS scroll on the tuner...I'd enjoy running up to the display to take notes.

It'll give me some exercise.

Seems things might get easier once they release those tuners with the Apple iTunes tagging and downloading feature.

But then again, I've never been about easier...

12:25 am This tune is just beautiful...could you check what it was, Craggy?! (heh)

Gannon

Post Number: 10513
Posted on Saturday, September 29, 2007 - 12:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

12:30 Very complex...enjoyable. This is a stretch for me, but I'd visit it again.

Yeah, need a playlist.

You should hear this with these subwoofers, Craggy. Lemme clean up around here first.

Gannon

Post Number: 10514
Posted on Saturday, September 29, 2007 - 1:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1:29 am This one, too.

I'm dyin' here...

...if only I could hit a record button.

Gannon

Post Number: 10515
Posted on Saturday, September 29, 2007 - 1:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Somebody needs to tell that TiVo dude about this.

Gannon

Post Number: 10521
Posted on Saturday, September 29, 2007 - 2:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

2:11 Summertime, with a kick.

This is some cool shit.

Craggy

Post Number: 284
Posted on Saturday, September 29, 2007 - 10:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll see what I can find out, Gannon.

Digitalvision

Post Number: 400
Posted on Saturday, September 29, 2007 - 1:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jump through the analog hole, Gannon - not perfect, but with the digital quality the device puts out you could get a decent recording - just need a little software and a cable.

However, if only the device below offered an HD option - that would be the perfect way around it.

http://www.griffintechnology.c om/products/radioshark2/

Gannon

Post Number: 10606
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 6:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, D.

Craggy,

I just heard Kevin Piotrowski call it "High Definition" radio, with some allusions to improved quality.

iBiquity never says the term means High Definition, it is a common misunderstanding...but a misunderstanding nonetheless.

High Density is much more accurate, but as far as they are concerned, still a guess!!

They DO say it is dramatically better quality, then quantify that comment with the tag in the same paragraph: "No more static, hiss, pops or fades."

Oddly, with the high-quality analog broadcast equipment the donors, sponsors, and university paid for over the years...the highest quality analog available, and we all know it...we've always had these benefits.

And...the vinyl in the record library wasn't degraded by digital sampling!

Thanks for looking into the playlists. After listening for a few days, I realize this is a daunting task...and will require bodies now dedicated to the pledge drive.

Priorities, priorities...I'll take a successful pledge drive over my knowledge-increasing convenience!

I think if management offered that 'returning music booster' $350 level, with an automatic Sangean tuner bonus gift in addition to being qualified to win that cool Polk audio desktop unit...they'd have some count who is a deep-pocket donor with GREAT interest in local music programming.

You might even find a few djs or sponsors of particular djs in that group to pitch the HD-2 development plan towards...so far the all-music channel is just an amorphous jumble of stuff I've largely not heard before...it isn't tickling me the way, say, some Audra Kubat or Thornetta Davis or the Sights would. The ONE local tune, and one of the few recognizable ones overall, was an old Motown song...so unremarkable that I cannot even remember which it was.

So far, it grew from some novelty to some decent blase background noise. I caught myself keeping the system off during the first half of my workday in the loft...and that causes me to miss your excellent program. (a true loss to me)

Even if just some nag that the hour is changing...or a lead-in to change back to HD-1 for a particular program...anything to get me OUT of this damn 101.9-2 elevator!!

Cheers! (honestly, you KNOW I wouldn't complain if I didn't care, and this forum is more constructive to us all IF I can dredge some feedback from other as-passionate listeners!)

Gannon

Post Number: 10619
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 8:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As a matter of fact, if your sponsorship-peddlers aren't approaching EVERY music venue in the city with a proposal of $500-1000 annual contribution, paid monthly or even trade-in-kind promotions for the smaller venues with tiny, tiny cash flow...they aren't really promoting local music on HD-2. Hell, pony up another $200 on top of whatever level they buy into, and they get a tuner for their establishment...as long as they display placards to promote HD Radio from WDET!

BRAND IT, get it out there, and you will OWN it. It isn't just HD Radio...it's HD Radio from WDETROIT, the only local music source on the dial, er DIGITS...from the center of the most diverse music city outside New York.

I can see this becoming the hub of a 'Music City North' not unlike how Austin has grown in the South...with willing music venues that have common promotional capability to draw tourists to our fair town. That is part of my dreams to start a few hundred jobs in the city over the next couple years!

I really see the potential, no the probability, of WDET becoming the pioneer in this wonderful new technology. We can re-achieve the prominence previously held in the Detroit music community...and get some use out of those excellent live studios.

But WDET has GOT to get tuners into the audio racks of these early-adopter deep-pocketed previous listeners who may STILL be pissed about the previous format changes. They need to peddle 'em through the donor drive, daily!

More stuff about HD on the website, too...it is nearly non-existant outside that Polk advertisement. If you want me to write it, it is already mostly done...some of it in this very thread!! I was aiming for an article in the Metro Times, but Brian doesn't return my calls...so I'm still pissed at him.

And yeah, the more I talk about it, the more I want to be involved directly.

It would be even cooler to have an HD-3 channel with student volunteers from both the university AND Specs Howard...training the next level of professionals on real equipment in a real working studio...on deadline, with penalties for dead air...just like the real world. We could even train future advertising people and gather sponsors at reduced rates specific to the student population! NO reason why this HD-3 couldn't have advertising...only the previous Public Radio momentum...but we don't have to worry about pissing off and chasing away the standard NPR listeners...they will be 'stuck' on HD-1 or analog!!

I would love a venue for an hour-long program answering call-in questions helping cure the home entertainment electronics confusion...like a CarTalk, but with entertainment technology.

Plus, as mentioned earlier, it would be great to co-broadcast this on the internet...with mostly LOCAL music, the internet legal restrictions would be largely moot. I don't yet know if the iTunes tags can be broadcast over internet radio, but if they didn't make that work...that makes THEM the idiots!!

We're in a new radio age here...and like any new technology, the potential future applications are awaiting some serious imagination to bring them to life!!

Gannon

Post Number: 10643
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 10:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That IS a lot of stuff...sometimes I amaze myself in the re-reading.

Polk is sure getting the airtime for donating only TWO tabletop HD Radios to the pledge drive. I like them, but damn.

Gannon

Post Number: 10644
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 10:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I should donate FOUR Sangean tuners to the pledge drive and ask for TWICE the Web space and airtime...if it is truly that easy and cheap.

Chris_rohn
Username: Chris_rohn

Post Number: 336
Posted on Friday, October 05, 2007 - 1:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I made my donation to WDET --and-- ordered an HD component tuner for my home system today.

I made sure to tell WDET my donation was to support the new HD2 music service.

Gannon

Post Number: 10670
Posted on Friday, October 05, 2007 - 2:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cheers, Chris, very cool.

I finally called in today, too, despite the personal budget woes...which I have great faith will dissolve shortly...I committed to them also.

They already know it's for the music...but I'll make certain to keep up the noise.

It was pretty silly to compare the two Polk tuners to all the airtime and lipservice they're getting...I'm sure there was some money added to the equation! I left that up on the board to illicit some reaction from Craggy, but he probably knew it was a lob pitch.

Cheers!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.