Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Who's Buying the 200 Homes of Top Comerica Executives Moving To Texas? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 5288
Posted on Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 10:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

On the VW HQ moving to Virginia thread, Quinn brought up an interesting question about who will buy their houses.

Well that got me to thinking, who is going to buy the mansions and large homes of the top 200 Comerica officers moving to Texas?

Will Comerica buy them up and hold on to them until the local economy improves? I'm sure that won't sit well with Comerica stockholders.

Taking a bath on reduced home sale prices would be too "Schadenfreude" to be true for Comerica's top brass, so I wonder what will happen with those residences?

If the top brass homes averaged $400-$500 thousand (and up), that's nearly $100 million in home values (and moving costs) that won't be moving any time soon.

Just wondering?

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 4904
Posted on Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 10:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eh, who is gonna buy the homes of several hundred more Comerica employees who will be silently transferred to Texas in the next 5 years?

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 2716
Posted on Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 10:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

wouldn't be surprised if some of the top brass was already commuting from Texas

Wolverine
Username: Wolverine

Post Number: 364
Posted on Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 11:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Will Comerica buy them up and hold on to them until the local economy improves?"

It wouldn't surprise me.

Rustic
Username: Rustic

Post Number: 3153
Posted on Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 11:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

sic scrappers on those piles of bricks ...

Novine
Username: Novine

Post Number: 107
Posted on Friday, September 07, 2007 - 12:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If they're priced to sell, they'll sell.

http://mioaklandcounty.com/blo g/2007/08/15/oakland-county-ho me-sales-up-in-july/

Crawford
Username: Crawford

Post Number: 121
Posted on Friday, September 07, 2007 - 1:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^
LOL, that blog is written by a broker. I guess times are hard and she has lots of time on her hands.

Soomka1
Username: Soomka1

Post Number: 36
Posted on Friday, September 07, 2007 - 1:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The big guns probably have the typical relocation deal. They can try to sell it on their own, or they can accept a price that is set by Comerica's relocation people. Usually people try to get more on their own for a while, and if they don't sell it, then they take the price the company set. With the way things are with Michigan real estate though, Comerica is going to have a lot of places to sell off. They are going to have to raise everyone's service charges for a while to catch up.

Rocket_city
Username: Rocket_city

Post Number: 383
Posted on Friday, September 07, 2007 - 12:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This question is like asking (in the 1940s): who will buy all the luxury mansions in Boston-Edison/Indian Village/Palmer Park/Rosedale Park/Brush Park when the entire city empties out in the 1970s?

This is nothing new to the Detroit area. Oakland County, maybe, but OC is Detroit, just separated by an imaginary line that was suppose to be designed so that the people north of it never have to suffer from their created disaster.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 10041
Posted on Friday, September 07, 2007 - 12:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know a few people that are being discussed and they have sold their homes. Comerica ate a large chunk of the price and allowed them to sell considerably below market value.

It is easy to sell a home when you can discount the heck out of it then get a check from your employer for the difference.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 5290
Posted on Friday, September 07, 2007 - 1:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Jt1, that scenario makes the most sense to me. It didn't make sense for Comerica to just sit on 200 or so empty McMansions.

Zephyrprocess
Username: Zephyrprocess

Post Number: 458
Posted on Friday, September 07, 2007 - 1:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just like what happened in Ann Arbor with Pfizer buying out the homes of those folks whom they transferred to Groton, Connecticut

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.