Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Salvation Army store-resale in Detroit area « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Terryh
Username: Terryh

Post Number: 487
Posted on Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 10:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

On my latest outing today I took a trip down Fort St. taking snapshots of the old buildings and stopped at one of the salvation army stores. There are two-the newer looking family store and a smaller spot that sits next to shoe fair. I stopped at the smaller place and picked up a Christopher Cross album (ride like the wind;sailing) for fiddy cent and a nice casual like new long sleeve shirt for 3 bucks. Value world on Woodward north of the Blvd. has some goody goodies with a nice selection of clothes. There is a new-used spot on Woodward in Pleasant Ridge that I havent checked out yet,and by the way now is the time to catch the end of season sales at the mall. The smells and the griminess dont seem to be as bad as they are in the Zug Island area and the area of Fort St. I was in today seemed to be a little nicer than several years ago.

I know there are some resale shops in Hamtramck but where are the other resale and for that matter new clothing stores in Detroit that arent hip hop oriented? There is a casual store on Livernois north of Seven mile that has some nice displays in the window.

Urbanoutdoors
Username: Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 584
Posted on Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 11:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.showtimedetroit.com /pages/1/index.htm

Frumoasa
Username: Frumoasa

Post Number: 51
Posted on Friday, September 07, 2007 - 3:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Salvation Army family store on Fort St. is fun stuff if you are in that direction, but the Salvation Army on 8 mile and Mound is smaller but I have found some surprisingly nice things there, including a gorgeous Escada dress (That was about 8 years ago when I was in junior high school :-) )My mother found a vintage Stickley-esque small cabinet that she used in my father's Stickley themed office for $20. And we also found a full set of vintage Rookwood dinnerware (I didn't even know they made dinnerware!) for 15.00 (half off 29.99 for about 80 pieces). There's also a nice Value World at 8 and Beech Daly on the Southfield side, they tend to get things with the tags still on them so great for back to school shopping with the munchkins at a good price. Within their first week of opening, I found an excellent quality (presumed to be an excellent fake) Hermes Eperon d'Or scarf). I love poking around those resale shops, you can find such cool things as long as you are selective and don't fill your cart with stuff. Quality, not quantity is my adage and it keeps my house pretty uncluttered and my budget intact :-)

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1804
Posted on Friday, September 07, 2007 - 3:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

my friend's wife found a real deal vera wang dress at the fort st. salvo, for 6 bucks

Southwestmap
Username: Southwestmap

Post Number: 900
Posted on Friday, September 07, 2007 - 3:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I always buy from the Salvation Army: old white platters, feather comforters (have professionally cleaned and fluffed), all-cotton sheets and pillowcases, zippered pillow slips, down-filled sofas and chairs (I have seen and bought several), two buffets of a shabby/chic style, camel hair coats, ottomans to be recovered, bright-colered La Creuset pans, sterling bowls to give away Christmas cookies in.
I have and treasure from the SA: a vintage Kitchen Aid mixer from the 1940's that works great (I mean to have it painted jadeite by on on-line restorer someday),a NWT camel hair coat from NM, a satin covered down comforter with a J. L Hudson's fabric tag.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.