Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Cass Tech football field » Archive through September 07, 2007 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 30
Posted on Friday, August 31, 2007 - 10:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone know if they use that field? I seem to remember that they built it about 1 foot too short, but can't remember the details.

Did they fix the shortcoming? Or is it used only for practice?

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1567
Posted on Friday, August 31, 2007 - 10:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This web site is as of just a few weeks ago when the school had its 100th anniversary:
"Also, a huge amount of money was spent on construction of the football field behind the new building but because of construction errors, the football team does not use the field."

http://www.comehometocasstech. com/cthistory.asp

Wsu98
Username: Wsu98

Post Number: 12
Posted on Friday, August 31, 2007 - 12:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I recall that the length of the football field was built at 93 yards, goal line to goal line, making it seven yards short. I think it was a coach who caught the error.

I worked on a couple of football fields for DPS, and was told to always double check length for that very reason.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 1514
Posted on Friday, August 31, 2007 - 12:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought the reason they stopped playing on it was because there wasn't enough space to move the fences a safe distance from the field.

Rjlj
Username: Rjlj

Post Number: 385
Posted on Friday, August 31, 2007 - 12:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The fence is too close to the field.

Urbanoutdoors
Username: Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 571
Posted on Friday, August 31, 2007 - 12:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Its too bad, it is a beautiful field wish there was something that could be done to get it fully operational.

Winstin_o_boogie_iii
Username: Winstin_o_boogie_iii

Post Number: 82
Posted on Friday, August 31, 2007 - 12:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They should have have consulted Glenn Haege who would have told them to "Measure twice cut once"

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 826
Posted on Friday, August 31, 2007 - 12:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

At least they didn't spend 2.5 million dollars on it. Is it me or does that seem like a ridiculous amount of money to spend on a football field?
Multi-million dollar field and someone or multiple people had 10 cent brains.

http://www.detnews.com/2005/sc hools/0509/20/A01-320677.htm

Gnome

Post Number: 31
Posted on Friday, August 31, 2007 - 1:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm confused.

They built the field, but didn't pay the contractor because the fences were too close?

Was the playing field actually 7 yards too short? Or was the issue solely focused on the fences?

Couldn't they remove the fences?

Whose fault was it? The contractor, architect, building department?

Wirt
Username: Wirt

Post Number: 59
Posted on Friday, August 31, 2007 - 1:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I believe the pads are up in the end zones.
I haven't been by to verify.

Maybe that coach had a long stride..

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 3828
Posted on Friday, August 31, 2007 - 5:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And maybe a wide stance, to boot...

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 2371
Posted on Friday, August 31, 2007 - 6:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One of the safety issues with the field was about room behind the benches. Because there is no track, there's less room behind the benches and bleachers. However, not having the track is not a killer. I played football for Notre Dame HS and we didn't have a track, but there was decent room behind the benches. Moving the bleachers back at Cass is not impossible but it would be an added cost.

The problem with the fences behind the end zones is also a correctable problem. There's plenty of room behind the endzones, but they made all this room for huge sidewalks that aren't needed. Reduce the sidewalks width and they'll be able to move back the fences for more room. Also, they could add those missing seven yards and still have room.

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1400
Posted on Friday, August 31, 2007 - 10:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The new football field was going to be placed where the old building now stands. The field was moved to the present location to appease those who wanted to save the old high school. Now it stands empty, and the football field is useless.

Whoops!

Gnome

Post Number: 35
Posted on Saturday, September 01, 2007 - 6:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've tried to find the truth behind the stories and the web hasn't revealed much.

Unknown if true: the field is 93 yards long, the field was built on unstable soil which has resulted in sink holes on the field. The contractor was/wasn't paid.

Known as true: the fences were built too close to the field.

Unknown: was the fence moved? Is it padded? Is the field used?

Web Research did reveal that the swimming pool which is in the new/old annex was built for 50 yards ... not 50 meters.

I thought Cass Tech was the premier science/arts school in the city.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1578
Posted on Saturday, September 01, 2007 - 1:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wish that I could get out there to measure it. Probably the easiest way to know if that is true.

Dbc
Username: Dbc

Post Number: 69
Posted on Saturday, September 01, 2007 - 1:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cass Tech is a premier school. Unfortunately, the students are probably more intelligent than the decision makers in the school board, etc.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 5259
Posted on Saturday, September 01, 2007 - 3:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitplanner, you make it sound like it's the fault of the folks who want to save the old high school building. How do you know the contractor wouldn't have made the same mistakes on the site of a flattened former high school?

Ed_golick
Username: Ed_golick

Post Number: 798
Posted on Saturday, September 01, 2007 - 3:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I believe Jenkins Construction is responsible for the mistake. Their track record isn't very good. That's what you get when you go with the lowest bidder.

Wilus1mj
Username: Wilus1mj

Post Number: 221
Posted on Saturday, September 01, 2007 - 3:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hint....don't pay contractor until job is done right and finished!!

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 6429
Posted on Saturday, September 01, 2007 - 5:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What a AWFUL planning from Jenkins Construction. Whoever in that construction company plan this useless football field didn't barely pass engineering school.

Mayor_sekou
Username: Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 1423
Posted on Saturday, September 01, 2007 - 5:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not only is the field useless and the location terrible but they essentially took out 3rd street in that aread for no reason. Bad move on DPS part and the city.

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 829
Posted on Saturday, September 01, 2007 - 5:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I believe Jenkins Construction is responsible for the mistake. Their track record isn't very good. That's what you get when you go with the lowest bidder."

Yeah, I hear the baseball diamond that they constructed had to be called a baseball hexagon. The extra bases makes for a lot of excitement with all the base stealing.

If it wasn't such an unfortunate situation for the football players and the tax payers this would be absolutely funny. The whole story is really hard to believe.

Timmym
Username: Timmym

Post Number: 2
Posted on Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 3:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lets first do a little history as to why the football field is the way it is. The artsy fartsy Cass Tech alumni got involved which stopped the demolition of the old building. Now, recently, it was vandalized and partially set on fire because some people were trying to steal copper cabling out of the building, which now stands vacant. The football field, and the proposed baseball field, along with additional parking, would have been placed where the old building currently resides.

The building has served it purpose. It has a long legacy, which now lives in the new school. Any attempt to somehow convert the building into a multi-use loft, arts building is wishful thinking, the building's poor design and cost to run would prevent this from being a profitable venture. It would have to be gutted of all asbestos, vented for air conditioning, and properly heated for individual room and living areas. A huge and expensive task. But, perhaps you could find someone who would love the view of the freeway and the soon to be torn down Tiger stadium ( and that's another story).

Preserve the northeast archway, raze the rest of the building ( by the way, I learned the word raze in my English class there), and sell bricks to the alumni for 10 dollars a piece. The proceeds would go to the new school to purchase science equipment, books, or give the money in scholarship form to deserving students.

The football stadium should not have been shoehorned in its current location. It almost meets the MHSAA's guild lines for distance from the end of the field to the fence, but, I wouldn't send my receiver on a corner route in the endzone. The field is dangerous and unusable in its present condition. The visiting stands need to be moved back another 15 feet, and there is barely enough room to do it. The actual length of the field is short, and fences on the ends of the field are too close. Another 10 feet on each end of the field will solve the problem. The Jenkins Construction company should be made liable and correct these changes, on their time/materials/and money. I believe Royce mentioned above that not having a track was no big deal. You must be living in a dream world. We use to have to run up to Wayne state, do a full track workout, then run back.... that was ugly.. trust me.

How do I know all of this? I went to Cass Technical high school. I played football there, was an all-city running back there and also ran track.

On another note, what's up with the football team anyway????

(Message edited by TimmyM on September 06, 2007)

Danindc
Username: Danindc

Post Number: 3206
Posted on Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 4:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Any attempt to somehow convert the building into a multi-use loft, arts building is wishful thinking, the building's poor design and cost to run would prevent this from being a profitable venture. It would have to be gutted of all asbestos, vented for air conditioning, and properly heated for individual room and living areas. A huge and expensive task.

How do you figure it's a poor design? Any numbers on what it would cost to renovate?

Even if you demo the building, you'd have to remove the asbestos first. And as far as HVAC upgrades go, I work on projects *all the time* that do exactly that. It's pretty standard work most anywhere else. Detroit is the only city I know that demolishes great buildings out of sheer laziness and lack of creativity.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 5287
Posted on Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 6:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Timmym, your Fartsy Artsy comment was all that we needed to know that your knowledge extends to football, but not to building restoration/renovation. Join a local historical preservation group, and be enlightened.

LOL.... yes it's the fault of all those misguided preservationists that are to blame for the football field fiasco.

With the vast empty spaces between Masonic Temple and the Fisher Freeway... that one building JUST HAS TO COME DOWN, doesn't it.

Dan, you and I often disagree (usually respectfully)... but I totally agree with you 100% on something that you just said... "Detroit... demolishes great buildings out of sheer laziness and lack of creativity." Not always, but often!

Cool cities don't come with huge swathes of empty lots near downtown... even if there's a football field on one of the many.

I applaud the alumni of Cass Tech to help preserve at least some semblance of what used to be the high density of lower midtown.

Timmym

Post Number: 3
Posted on Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 11:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To Danindc and Gistok... I'm glad I see I have created some brotherly love to two people who normally don't agree with each other. And Gistok, too bad you don't know me, because if you did, you would know I lived in the Boston Edison district for 10 years, the largest district of it's type in the United States. I was the fourth owner of my home, and continued in its preservation, which was originally built by a National bank of Detroit executive in 1923. While at undergraduate at Wayne State University, I took an Art in Detroit class, which was essentially a class about exactly what you mentioned, the celebration of architecture in Detroit, and the PRESERVATION of it.

To give you a little history, the preservation movement started in Detroit with the razing of old City hall. The building, which also had great architecture, face the old Wayne County build, to which Robert Ficcano want to leave because of exorbitant rent. The building was razed under great protest, but, lack of organization. People individually protested it, along with hand cuffing themselves to the building staircases in order to prevent its ultimate demise. That building would have been a treasure to have been kept and restored, given its long history from 1871 to the '50s.

But lets not go any further with what you deem as someone who is ignorant to the facts about preservation and the city of Detroit, since I only know football. I truly believe in preservation in the City, when it's economically feasible or historical. Current project like the restoration of the Book Cadillac are economically feasible, although it took a mountain to move as well as some questionable financing. I see the Statler Hotel did not have the same fate. Although a magnificent Hotel in it's own right, it fell to the wrecking ball, because of ECONOMICS, not because someone hates old buildings. Abandonment and neglect was its issue, not a dumb former football player who doesn't know about preservation or restoration. I watched the progress of the workers as they took out the asbestos, (yes Danindc I knew that as well) hoping that perhaps they would reconsider and try to restore it, to no avail.

Should the train station go as well? Now, I'm on the fence on that one, its a wonderful building, one which my uncle passed through on a train from the south in the late '40s. I also marveled at it's wonderful architecture while waiting to catch a train there. But once again, the economics are there. Either keep it as an eye sore and wonder what could be, restore it, or... raze it.

I believe the Wurlitzer building should be restored ( you know, that skinny building that stands on Broadway, that has been abandoned for over 35 years now) it has wonderful renaissance revival architectural style built in 1926.

Or, lets take in account the Gem theatre, which was a rated XXX movie house before its restoration into a wonderful entertainment center which now sits across Music hall. It was a gamble, but it was a ECONOMIC one, which paid off, and benefited the owner as well as the city.

What I'm getting at here is, you're seeking to preserve the old Cass Tech because of its past relevancy, and not tied to any economic engine that preserves the building and creates good use out of it. You want to preserve it be cause of what it was, not what it can be. You'd rather see it sit there, falling apart, talking about its once grand architecture instead of moving to mothball the building properly until some use can be found for it.

Tell me, if Ilitch didn't buy or isn't attempting to buy the Masonic temple, who in the preservationist society would step up to the plate and purchase it, take the monetary hit for buying it, then turn it around economically so that the building can survive and thrive well into the 21st century.

Frankly, it was the wholesale abandonment of Detroit both by corporate and individuals, racial polarization, and other systemic problems that this community - and that includes the suburbs, that has caused many of these beautiful building to go neglected.

Next time Danindc, ask me what I mean when you quote me, perhaps you have taken it out of context. The poor design I spoke of is not the exterior, but the way the building is designed with the hollow structures within. It's a great misuse of space. And please don't bait me with the weak argument, "where are your numbers of the cost of renovation". That's your responsibility, you are the one who wants to maintain the building. I'm sure if you came up with one, the economics may be staggering on such a large structure, and would mute the argument to keep it, In my opinion.

But, I'll applaud both of you with three claps from the last seat in the balcony of the auditorium of the old Cass Tech.

By the way, where were you when all those historical homes were slowly weathering away in the Brush Street District???? Those were some magnificent homes which, unfortunately are now almost gone....

(Message edited by TimmyM on September 07, 2007)

(Message edited by TimmyM on September 07, 2007)

Broken_main
Username: Broken_main

Post Number: 1277
Posted on Friday, September 07, 2007 - 12:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Timmy ,

I went to Cass Tech as well. I spent a lot of time with teachers that supported any type of building restoration. Edwin Cady and Mr Laborius were deeply involved with any restoration efforts in the city. My senior class was called upon twice to assist with the historical projects that would help preserve the history of two of Detroit's greatest historical area.(Black bottom and Paradise Valley). I am very pleased to see that the small efforts that were initiated when I was young are now coming to fruition TODAY.

Timmy, I may or may not know you(it depends on when you went to Cass). I may have even met you in passing. Your views on the Old Cass Tech are simply that, your views. I know a lot of people who think that it could be put to good use. I respect your opinion as well.

It seems that you have something against the Alumni Association and their efforts to save the building. Maybe we could chat over coffee about these differences. To lete you know where I stand as far as the building is concerned, let me just say that I am not against the demolition of the building. I am more interested in making sure that every option has been exhausted before we tear it down.

Since you are up to your third post on the post, give us a little background of who you are please. That would be very helpful. Thanks

Timmym

Post Number: 4
Posted on Friday, September 07, 2007 - 3:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

B_...Main....

Edwin Cady... I could tell you many stories about him. I had him many times for drafting on the first floor. Good teacher, interesting character, and truly a person of another era. Mr. "Lag" or Laginess was probably, one of the best drafting teachers there, on the 6th floor. Mrs. Musson was my counselor room 666. Unfortunately I never had Mr. Laborius.

My curriculum was DDT - Design and Drafting Technology.

WEll, I'm not sure if you know this or not, but, Black Bottom and Paradise alley, which consisted of Hastings street, was bulldozed, in what was one of greatest cultural losses for African American in the Detroit, all for the wonderful and amazing I-75 freeway.

Your next point is clearly correct though, it's my opinion. I should not and do not expect everyone to agree with me, but, a lively and logical debate about it is stimulating. A point about the old school could be brought up that could change my mind about it's demise or continued use. OK I may have stirred the pot by using the words "artsy Fartsy", but it did bring about some passion about someone's position about it, and I respect that...

But once again, you're wrong. I don't have anything against the Alumni Association and their efforts to save the building. I'm not even sure they have a position on it, and if they do, I'd like to be educated to that fact.

Finally read my third post again, I gave you plenty of detail as to who I am, some of my background and... I'm just as interested in hearing out other Alumni's view on the matter before any action is taken. But, as of this moment, I have not heard any compelling arguments to keep the old school up. Just a few cheap shots against my ignorance and intelligence. Coffee's cool, pick your spot Broken.....

Danindc
Username: Danindc

Post Number: 3211
Posted on Friday, September 07, 2007 - 11:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Timmy, I appreciate your comments, but you come off a bit ham-handed. A need for an interior renovation is a poor excuse to demolish a building. Aside from the architecture and historical relevance, where would you dispose of all the waste? And what good would another empty lot do for Detroit?

quote:

Next time Danindc, ask me what I mean when you quote me, perhaps you have taken it out of context.

I did ask you what you meant.

quote:

And please don't bait me with the weak argument, "where are your numbers of the cost of renovation". That's your responsibility, you are the one who wants to maintain the building.

You are the one who claimed the building would be "too expensive" to renovate. Obviously, you made this decision based on some information. If not, you're just guessing.

I don't think anyone is arguing *against* mothballing the building, or trying to preserve the building for nostalgic reasons.

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 2040
Posted on Friday, September 07, 2007 - 12:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

my god...what a disaster