Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Hercules « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Ed_golick
Username: Ed_golick

Post Number: 804
Posted on Saturday, September 08, 2007 - 11:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anybody remember Hercules on CKLW-TV, circa 1964-65? Check it out!
http://www.detroitkidshow.com/ hercules.htm

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 1714
Posted on Saturday, September 08, 2007 - 12:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for that, Ed. I was a huge fan back in the 60s. My son stumbled on the later 70s re-edited versions on our cable system's free-on-demand menu. They wrote a new theme that mut of been very current at the time, but nothing like the original. Now when I watch those old cartoons I start craving coney islands for some reason.

Ed_golick

Post Number: 805
Posted on Saturday, September 08, 2007 - 12:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Johnny Nash (I Can See Clearly Now) recorded the original Hercules theme, arguably the greatest TV cartoon theme ever.

I grew up with the Hercules cartoons, but whenever I see one today I think of SNL's Ambifuously Gay Duo. And what was up with the lyrics in the original? "Softness in his eyes. iron in his thighs???"

Sstashmoo
Username: Sstashmoo

Post Number: 366
Posted on Saturday, September 08, 2007 - 5:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ed, thanks for the memory jog. I had almost forgot about Hercules. Just barely remember watching him.

Along the same lines, do you remember a show that used live animals, like hamsters? They would put them in like model airplanes and boats and of course dubbed in voices. I absolutely loved that show when I was a kid. MAybe they were short segments on like Poopdeck paul or Hercules.

Ed_golick

Post Number: 806
Posted on Saturday, September 08, 2007 - 5:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sstashmoo,
That was "Tales of the Riverbank," which aired on Hercules.

Sstashmoo

Post Number: 367
Posted on Saturday, September 08, 2007 - 5:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ed, Thanks..

Any chance of any of that old video surviving?

Ed_golick

Post Number: 807
Posted on Saturday, September 08, 2007 - 5:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you're talking about Tales of the Riverbank, there are episodes on the web. All of the CKLW Hercules shows are now landfill.

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 1296
Posted on Saturday, September 08, 2007 - 6:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ed, thank you very much for that link, specifically, and thank you very much, generally, for being such a great resource in matters like this one.
I have very warm memories of going to my grandmother's house, after school, and curling up on her bedroom chair to watch cartoons (I was a faithful devotee of Jerry Booth's Fun House, with Clyde uh-huhhing) and-- when they showed "monster movies"-- The Big Show on channel 7. My Snack Of Choice-- didn't all of us have one?-- was Cinnamon Crisp.
I am wondering if you might have any links, or other fun stuff, about two of my other favorites, "Gigantor" (The Space-Age Robot!!) and "Supercar." (I am guardedly proud to say that I actually remember much of the theme song from "Supercar," but it would be a kick to hear it again.)
Thanks, again, for being you and for being here.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 3175
Posted on Saturday, September 08, 2007 - 7:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ravine: Supercar

Ed_golick

Post Number: 809
Posted on Saturday, September 08, 2007 - 7:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ravine,
Here's a link to the official Gigantor web site.
http://www.gigantor.org/

The complete Supercar is on DVD and available at Amazon for 22 bucks! And if you order it thru my Amazon store,
http://www.detroitkidshow.com/ Sagebrush_Shortys_General_Stor e.htm, I get a small cut.

Jimaz

Post Number: 3176
Posted on Saturday, September 08, 2007 - 7:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fireball XL5

Jimaz

Post Number: 3177
Posted on Saturday, September 08, 2007 - 7:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tales of the Riverbank

Sstashmoo

Post Number: 370
Posted on Saturday, September 08, 2007 - 8:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jimaz,

Thanks for posting that link, actually googled it earlier. It was amazing seeing those again.

Another character I remember from back then and I can't recall exactly where at on TV was "Crazy Gugenheimer" or something like that? Was that a Detroit thing Ed?

Ed_golick

Post Number: 810
Posted on Saturday, September 08, 2007 - 8:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sstashmoo,
That was from Jackie Gleason's American Scene Magazine. Frank Fontaine played Crazy Gugegnheim in Gleason's Joe the Bartender sketches.

Sstashmoo

Post Number: 372
Posted on Saturday, September 08, 2007 - 8:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ed, thats impressive. I had forgotten about Jackie Gleason's show as well.

This thread sure brings back some great memories.

Jimaz

Post Number: 3178
Posted on Saturday, September 08, 2007 - 8:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey, there's a whole lot more on youtube than what few I've posted!

Ed_golick is the expert though. Thanks, Ed! :-)

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 1715
Posted on Saturday, September 08, 2007 - 9:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

XL5--wow, that brings back memories. I watched that faithfully. Back then we used to go to my aunt and uncle's house in Union Lake from our house at 7 mile/Evergreen, and went up telegraph rd to (I guess) northwester hwy. all civilization ended at about 10 mile along telegraph then. I used to think that the congregation Sharey Zedek synagogue was the launch pad for the XL5 rocketship!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.