Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » GM quietly drops Toyota, Honda comparison test-drives » Archive through September 11, 2007 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 2217
Posted on Friday, September 07, 2007 - 6:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Saturn test drive program had always been intended as a summer promotion to boost awareness of the Aura, Armstrong said, which was an entirely new vehicle and name for Saturn.

"We made the decision to shift our resources over to Vue," Armstrong said.

GM gave no specific reason for dropping plans for the similar program involving the new Chevrolet Malibu.

"It's really been off the table for quite some time," said Nancy Libby, communications manager for Chevrolet.

Hmmm. Puzzling. I actually thought this was a good strategy...

Unless the Malibu doesn't measure up.

http://money.cnn.com/2007/08/31/autos/gm_vs_camry_accord_not/index.htm?postversion=2007083117

(Message edited by Fury13 on September 07, 2007)

Sstashmoo
Username: Sstashmoo

Post Number: 361
Posted on Friday, September 07, 2007 - 7:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quote: "Unless the Malibu doesn't measure up."

Or they finally realized regardless of the results, some of the "anti-American mfr." demographic here could care less and will buy a tin can over an automobile no matter how many people it puts out of a job.

So, why bother?

Hpgrmln
Username: Hpgrmln

Post Number: 143
Posted on Friday, September 07, 2007 - 7:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Any way someone can post pictures of these vehicles, in and out, for comparison?
I always believed the Accord was a bit more modern and had better interior components (seat leather, etc)than a Malibu.It was a good strategy, except it can backfire. If you test a Malibu, then go to an Accord or Camry, find it more comfortable and better-designed inside,then GM just turned a shopper away from their product.I have a hard time believing GM didn't suspect that inevitably happen.
Again-anyone have pictures for comparison, as well as information like trunk dimensions,that buying decisions would be based on?

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1097
Posted on Friday, September 07, 2007 - 9:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

www.autosite.com

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 2734
Posted on Friday, September 07, 2007 - 9:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ford went about it a little differently Ford Challenge

Fury13

Post Number: 2220
Posted on Friday, September 07, 2007 - 9:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sstashmoo, I sold my American-made tin can. I don't miss its defects in the least.

Newport1128
Username: Newport1128

Post Number: 125
Posted on Saturday, September 08, 2007 - 12:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I bet GM made Honda and Toyota happy by buying all of those Accords and Camrys. Wonder if they're trying to sell them now on the Saturn used car lots?

Hagglerock
Username: Hagglerock

Post Number: 449
Posted on Saturday, September 08, 2007 - 5:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fury,
you must of missed this defect with the new Toyota FJ.

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com /forums/problems-dealer-servic e/33440-engine-bay-body-rips.h tml

We all know too well that if this was a domestic platform, there would be MAJOR news coverage and widespread bashing.

Domestics have done this in the past with dealerships that would sell, say, Dodge along with Honda. That didn't work, why put the competition in the showroom, do you see this kind of ploy in other industries?

I don't think GM needs to boost Toyota and Honda sales (by showing test cars) in order to sell Malibus. The car with good marketing should sell itself. That is, if the reviews are good, which I think will be.

Jiminnm
Username: Jiminnm

Post Number: 1407
Posted on Saturday, September 08, 2007 - 7:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hagglerock, the American car makers lost the market 20-30 years ago and, despite great improvements in quality, there's a generation or more of people out there who don't have confidence in American cars and aren't coming back. I've even had folks tell me that they don't trust American cars and afraid to rely on them.

The car companies have a serious problem, because it's not likely that the children of those who are now locked into Toyotas and Hondas are going to go American. Also, constant rebates, employee pricing and the like are just another way of telling consumers that your cars aren't worth what you charge for them (which further hastens their loss of value after purchase).

When you leave the midwest and go west, American cars are a smaller share of the market. Here in NM, Korean and Japanese cars rule, but Ford and Chevy still sell a lot of pickup trucks here.

I look for the American share of the market to continue to decline unless they can find the magic pill that will change the American public's perception of American cars.

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 4913
Posted on Saturday, September 08, 2007 - 8:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fury hates American cars. Pay no attention to him lol

Sstashmoo

Post Number: 371
Posted on Saturday, September 08, 2007 - 8:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quote: "I look for the American share of the market to continue to decline unless they can find the magic pill that will change the American public's perception of American cars."

On it's way. As soon as enough people are unemployed and flat broke, they'll realize we really do need car companies here. And it's important as Americans to patronize them.

The problem is people out west don't realize how many jobs the auto companies actually support.

Fury13

Post Number: 2224
Posted on Saturday, September 08, 2007 - 8:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Patrick: No, I don't hate American cars. Just those with poor fuel economy, which covers about 90-95 percent of them.

If the US automakers would make fuel efficiency a priority -- NOT styling, NOT ride, NOT size, etc. -- they'd sell more cars.

And then the domestic auto industry wouldn't have to die.

Patrick

Post Number: 4915
Posted on Saturday, September 08, 2007 - 8:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Would you buy a Volt when it comes out?

Fury13

Post Number: 2225
Posted on Saturday, September 08, 2007 - 8:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll bet Sstashmoo said this in 1970:

"As soon as enough people are unemployed and flat broke, they'll realize we really do need electronics and television companies here. And it's important as Americans to patronize them."

Gee, we're doing just fine with Sony, Toshiba, etc.

If the US auto industry dies, people will find other jobs. Maybe not as good, but the economy will shift.

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1098
Posted on Saturday, September 08, 2007 - 8:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^^^ lol...

In regards to the part about finding other jobs,I agree 100%. Automakers as well as other industries are not in the business to provide jobs. The sooner people realize and accept that, they will get off the "the products suck but we will keep them in business to provide jobs" kick

If a product sucks, don't buy it and the makers will get the hint eventually... This is a global economy and we are so freakin scared to accept the fact that companies from around the world are coming here and opening up shop. This is the same thing we have been doing in other countries around the world for decades....

I come from a GM/Chrysler family... but quality and reputation lead my decisions... not jobs. It's my money after all.

Sstashmoo

Post Number: 373
Posted on Saturday, September 08, 2007 - 8:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The loss of the electronics industry wasn't felt because we really never had one to lose.

Another problem is folks like Fury feel that the Auto industry is so enormous and they won't miss his sale, and there is so much other industry that losing the autos is no biggie. Do they take into consideration that all the "other" industries rely on the automotives for business? Either directly or from the folks who are employed by them? Do they realize alot of the little mom and pop stores/mfr's all over the US are supported fully or in part by the automotives? If/When they fall it will be a domino-effect of failures throughout the whole of North America? Don't believe it? check the foreclosure numbers all over the US.

Fury13

Post Number: 2226
Posted on Saturday, September 08, 2007 - 9:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sstashmoo: as America in the 21st century relies more on mass transit, all the automobile companies could simply start making equipment for light and commuter rail systems. Their suppliers could follow suit.

See, just shift to another industry.

That's what Detroit did around 1910: stoves to autos.

For the last time: I WON'T BUY AN AMERICAN PRODUCT JUST TO KEEP A COMPANY OR AN INDUSTRY IN BUSINESS. They'd better make a product that I want, period.

Or die, suckers.

(Yeah, yeah, we'll all feel the pain for awhile, but like I said, we'll find other jobs.)

Ccbatson
Username: Ccbatson

Post Number: 3465
Posted on Saturday, September 08, 2007 - 9:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They just decided against the negative ad style...a good idea.

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 1151
Posted on Saturday, September 08, 2007 - 9:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, everyone knows that the light and heavy truck market is very vulnerable to competition from light/commuter rail - and the auto dealerships in the UP will all be closing their doors as soon as the M-28 light rail corridor project gets finished.

Peachlaser
Username: Peachlaser

Post Number: 118
Posted on Monday, September 10, 2007 - 10:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Writing was on the Wall at the Belle Isle Grand Prix. Detroit, learn how to design, build and distribute advanced autos for the 21st century or continue the status quo.

Germany, England, Japan and Italy understand the technology of advanced automobiles. As I have said before, Corvette is the lone bright star in advanced U.S. auto design capable of competing against the world's best and winning.

You can cry wolf all you want about people buying other countries' products (because they are better designed and built) all you want and you will still not get back a huge segment of the U.S. buying public. Design and build advanced automobiles and you will regain that segment. It is very simple logic, but challenging to achieve.

There is a huge opportunity for post-petroleum and flex-fuel auto designs. Even with our current propulsion systems, there is a lot of room left for improved efficiency through electronics and lighter builds with safety crush-zones.

Dump the SUV (Stupid Urban Vehicle).

There is a very large segment of the U.S. auto-buying public that wants to buy American products...if they are well designed, efficient and reliable. The challenge is for Detroit, not the buying public.

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 1303
Posted on Monday, September 10, 2007 - 10:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Or they finally realized regardless of the results, some of the "anti-American mfr." demographic here could care less and will buy a tin can over an automobile no matter how many people it puts out of a job.

Haha, are you really going to look me in the eye and tell me that when comparing an Accord and a Saturn, that the ACCORD is the tin can? Bwahaha. SATURN!!!

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 111
Posted on Monday, September 10, 2007 - 11:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Buy what you like!
Chrysler's new Pres. Jim Press has it right. Look at Consumers Reports and JD Powers and see what the CONSUMER wants and needs and build it. The jap cars are on top of the list for twenty years for a reason. Follow this formula and you too can be no. 1

Bigjeff
Username: Bigjeff

Post Number: 119
Posted on Monday, September 10, 2007 - 11:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is it because of my my young and naive mind. But is it not amazing that people have the same misconception of the american car, as suburbanites have for their safety in Downtown Detroit.

Fury13

Post Number: 2245
Posted on Monday, September 10, 2007 - 11:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Is it because of my my young and naive mind..."

You got it right.

Two-ton cruisers that get 14 mpg don't cut it anymore.

Patrick

Post Number: 4925
Posted on Tuesday, September 11, 2007 - 12:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If people wanna pay for 14 mpg cruisers so be it.

Newport1128
Username: Newport1128

Post Number: 126
Posted on Tuesday, September 11, 2007 - 6:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

But the people who are getting 14 mpg are creating increased demand for gasoline for all of us, thus driving up the price of gas. I'll keep my 30 mpg (mixed city and highway) Corolla, thanks. By the way, my Corolla is 5 years old, and has not given me one bit of trouble. If that's a tin can, I'll keep buying tin cans.

Dnvn522
Username: Dnvn522

Post Number: 279
Posted on Tuesday, September 11, 2007 - 8:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

There is a very large segment of the U.S. auto-buying public that wants to buy American products...if they are well designed, efficient and reliable.

You say that as if there isn't a single American car that is well designed, efficient and reliable. And that couldn't be further from the truth.

Fury13

Post Number: 2247
Posted on Tuesday, September 11, 2007 - 9:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"You say that as if there isn't a single American car that is well designed, efficient and reliable. And that couldn't be further from the truth."

OK then. Examples, please. And keep your examples under about $18,000 base price (so that we're certain to be talking about cars most people can afford -- in other words, cars purchased for transportation purposes, not as toys or status symbols). Also: "efficient" is the key qualifier here, so we're talking about at least 27-28 mpg combined city/highway (really, 30 mpg should be the minimum benchmark).

There might be one or two... the Pontiac Vibe comes to mind, but that's essentially a Toyota Matrix. Maybe the Chevy Cobalt...

Peachlaser
Username: Peachlaser

Post Number: 119
Posted on Tuesday, September 11, 2007 - 9:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm talking about people that are buying Accords, Camrys, Civics, Corollas, etc. rather than buying Fords, Chevys and Chryslers. My point was that these people buy these cars because of perceived value and not because they are un-patriotic. Fit and finish, ergonomics, reliability, high mpg and styling are why these people buy. All I am saying is beat Honda and Toyota on fit and finish, ergonomics, reliability, MPG and styling and you will gain sales. Don't demonize people who are trying to get the best value for the buck.

Rrl
Username: Rrl

Post Number: 892
Posted on Tuesday, September 11, 2007 - 9:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pontiac G6 - 4-cylinder. 22MPG City, 30MPG Hwy
Base price $18,400

Eat it.