Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » The problem with strays « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 2776
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 1:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

didn't happen in the city, but does that really matter?

until the last few years I was never afraid of strays...

http://www.clickondetroit.com/ news/14109300/detail.html

Ohudson
Username: Ohudson

Post Number: 282
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 8:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is revenge of the dogs! They've come together and they are not going to be abused anymore!

Woof Woof

Dds
Username: Dds

Post Number: 338
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 9:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

At least they help keep the pheasant population from overrunning the city.

An acquaintance who was a dog catcher on the east side once told me the dog problem in the city is out of control, and this was probably 5-7 years ago.

(Message edited by dds on September 14, 2007)

Benjo
Username: Benjo

Post Number: 32
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 9:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Investigators confiscated 10 pit bulls from a nearby residence."

These were probably not pet pit bulls, they were trained to be viscious.

Clark1mt
Username: Clark1mt

Post Number: 92
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 10:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Michael Vick would be proud.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 2423
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 11:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've yet to be convinced that Pit Bulls are not inherently aggressive creatures. I know there are many who insist it is all about how you raise them, but I really think they are dangerous animals, and that there is no reason people can't find a different breed of dog they could be even more happy with.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 1621
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 11:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sounds like they might have stumbled upon a dog-fighting ring...

Jfried
Username: Jfried

Post Number: 1069
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 12:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Doggy do’s and doggy don’ts
Doggy will’s and doggy won’ts
You know you want to do it
Do the Doggy Bounce

Craig
Username: Craig

Post Number: 365
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 12:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bad news, but then there have been packs of wild and vicious dogs roaming unchecked for a long time. Brightmoor-types can back me up on this one.

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 846
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 12:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So much for pit owners saying that the dog only attacks other dogs and is friendly towards people.
I wish I had a dollar for every time I heard that line.

Abracadabra
Username: Abracadabra

Post Number: 74
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 12:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have been around Pits that are actually pretty damn nice. That being said, I still don't trust them. They aren't the only aggressive breeds, either. I do believe that a lot of dogs, including Pits, Rotts, Dobermans, and Akitas, are like owning a gun. Some people are not responsible enough to handle it. I do believe they have their place in the world, so long as it isn't attacking my family or my dogs.

Unclefrank
Username: Unclefrank

Post Number: 96
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 12:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a Pit that lives next to me. She seems nice and all and I give her treats all the time, but there is still something about her that makes me nervous.

Steelworker
Username: Steelworker

Post Number: 986
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 12:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My GF has two pit bull's and they are the sweetest animals ive ever seen in my life. They just wasnt to cuddle and give kisses all day. Though I can't necessarily dispute that they (and others) can be an aggressive breed, I stand firm that these dogs are not to blame for there behavior. Pit's were originally bread to be animal aggressive and people friendly/loyal. I can't speak for all pit owners but the ones that I know aren't even real aggressive towards animals (they live with three cats and play with other non-agrressive dogs). I realize that it's natural for people to put that negative stigma on these dogs (we do it to people too) and to blame the breed for the bad things they do but I believe that all to often you all forget that much like raising a child, the environment and the influence of the dog's owner has more to do with it's temperment than anything else. Furthermore, you can't won an aggressive dog and NOT know that it's aggressive. If anyone should be held accountable for ANY animals sh*tty behavior it's the person who is responsible for the. Also, people should keep in mind that the people out there that are breeding these bad tempered animals are NOT reputable breeders. The more you all push for a ban on this loving and loyal breed, the more likely you will be to see the more aggressive and poorly bread versions of these dogs on the street.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 3241
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 1:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Although the odds of this happening to any particular individual is low, it wouldn't hurt to carry a knife. Knives are handy tools too. Postal carriers carry pepper spray.

Also, Michigan has had a mysterious spike in rabies cases this year -- mostly in the bat population. If you find a bat in your house and there's any chance it bit someone, don't just shoo it out. Instead, capture it with a blanket or something so it can be tested for rabies. Again, the odds of any particular individual being bit by a rabid animal are very low.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 2434
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 1:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Steelworker, thank you for your contradicting opinion. I figured somebody would have one.

That being said, I am still skeptical of the breed. I had a Britney Spaniel, which is a bird dog. I never taught that dog a damn thing about hunting birds, yet when it would go out in the backyard and see a bird, it would stop, raise one front leg, and point at it with it's nose. Standing perfectly still like a statue, waiting for me to come shoot it or something. Apparently that was just in the dog's genes. Another friend had a Collie that would herd geese around the pond near her house. Nobody taught these animals anything, yet they behaved on their instincts. I think any domesticating of pit bulls requires forcing them to act AGAINST their instincts, which makes me say, JUST GET A BETTER DOG!

Dabirch
Username: Dabirch

Post Number: 2397
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 1:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One of the reasons we moved was that my wife was walking our infant in the stroller and was cornered by 2 'hood dogs at Kerch and Seminole.

Luckily somebody in a van drove by and came to their rescue.

That all but sealed the deal as to our relocation.

When a mother is walking her baby, and gets attacked by wild dogs, there ain't nothing that a husband can do to keep her in the neighborhood.

Jimaz

Post Number: 3242
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 1:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just remembered: Rabies is particularly bad around Pontiac this year.

Unclefrank
Username: Unclefrank

Post Number: 97
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 2:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Amen Johnlodge. Why take a chance?

Frumoasa
Username: Frumoasa

Post Number: 60
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 3:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Although I personally know responsible owners of well socialized pits and pit mixes, the fact that one owner had that many aggressive dogs on site is really scary. If a responsible pet owner were to own a pit bull, that would not frighten me, although I would take extreme caution around children (as was recently illustrated with the tragedy in Warren involving a rottweiler ) as I would with any animal. For goodness sakes, I am going to be very careful socializing my childhood pet, a 12 year old miniature poodle that has been nothing but gentle his whole life when my child will be born in October. I find it hard to say that a whole breed is "bad" because I know there are exceptions to the rule, but "number of pets" restrictions and pet licensing that gives a huge discount to spayed/neutered pets that are evenly and strictly enforced should help all of us and not affect a few breeds that have a rep.

Wfw
Username: Wfw

Post Number: 298
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 8:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, pitbulls can be loving and friendly, I've seen it too. However, never forget that they've been bred to be killers. What happens when one day the beast gets accidentally startled and decides to chew your face off? Not a chance I'm willing to take. I say leash them and muzzle them, or better yet, don't get one. (I'm not sure about Detroit/Michigan, but muzzles are now mandatory up here in Toronto).

Steelworker
Username: Steelworker

Post Number: 988
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 11:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I use to always agree with everyone untill i met these two dogs. And got to see it for me self everyday how wonderful they are.

Treble484
Username: Treble484

Post Number: 37
Posted on Saturday, September 15, 2007 - 8:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All dogs in a pack are not aggressive, thay follow the leader which is almost always aggressive (that's why he is the leader) Dogs do act differently when separated from the pack.
In the Livingston Co. case it would be difficult to survive a pack attack from strong large breed dogs. In the Warren case Bad dog sees crying baby (translate "wounded prey") and pounced. Just my spin.

Jimaz

Post Number: 3262
Posted on Saturday, September 15, 2007 - 9:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This alternate view showing a polar bear playing with a husky has been floating around email lately:
http://speakingoffaith.publicr adio.org/programs/play/audioga llery/soundseen.shtml.

Jazzstage
Username: Jazzstage

Post Number: 110
Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2007 - 3:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In the mid 90's I taught on the Sacred Seminary Campus (elementary school-I am not nearly that holy). I remember watching packs of dogs over on the field by the old 90.9 building. Dogs would roam Boston Edison etc. I haven't really heard much about the packs in a while. Is it still a problem like it was?

Django
Username: Django

Post Number: 130
Posted on Thursday, September 20, 2007 - 8:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ive found that the strays are usually more scared of us than anything else (or maybe just me). Two of my three best dogs came from the stray pop. here in the city, Farnsworth and Marlo. They both are or were completely dedicated to being a part of the family, both extremely intelligent also. Ive found many purebreds to be pretty stupid, Apparently from inbreeding. Im waiting to find another dog right now that I feel right about and often try and find a stray that will even let me close to them, almost always with no luck. I come across so many pitbulls and mixes that are in need of a home, but who needs a pitbull as a companion, I wont just because they make ppl uncomfortable, including myself.
The dogs in Livingston County were not strays
get your dog spayed or neutered.
The dogs in Livingston County were not strays

Django
Username: Django

Post Number: 131
Posted on Thursday, September 20, 2007 - 8:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Important to know that dogs, especially strays not used to humans, DO SMELL FEAR. If you feel threatened by a dog, DONT RUN, face them dont look at them. Ive gotten myself out of more than one bad situation by either comletely ignoring a charging barking dog (he ignored me once he saw I wasnt scared of him it seemed)or facing him and yelling at him to kiss my ass. My second suggestion ist carved in stone but its workd for me.

Jimaz

Post Number: 3325
Posted on Thursday, September 20, 2007 - 9:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This morning there was a cute video on TV showing three black bear cubs playing on a hammock. The lady who shot the video was later shown chasing the bear off her property. Apparently they had become pests in the neighborhood lately.

I don't see much danger in playing with wild animals so long as you keep a trump card in your holster.

Detroithabitater
Username: Detroithabitater

Post Number: 39
Posted on Thursday, September 20, 2007 - 9:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I found a dead dog in my crawlspace when I bought my house and I threw it out.

Every once in a while I see a stray dog that looks exactly like it cut across the lot next to me....

Jb3
Username: Jb3

Post Number: 239
Posted on Saturday, September 22, 2007 - 6:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Idiots shouldn't be allowed to own dogs. Any dog. So many people i see can hardly take care of themselves, yet they happily own dogs that they can't take care of.
All i have to say is if you own a dog, you better spay/neuter it!

Warriorfan
Username: Warriorfan

Post Number: 811
Posted on Saturday, September 22, 2007 - 8:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Idiots shouldn't be allowed to own dogs. Any dog. So many people i see can hardly take care of themselves, yet they happily own dogs that they can't take care of.
All i have to say is if you own a dog, you better spay/neuter it!

A better solution would be to spay and neuter the idiot humans.

Jb3
Username: Jb3

Post Number: 243
Posted on Saturday, September 22, 2007 - 9:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lol! Actually, i wouldn't have such a problem with the rampant illegitimates running around if we had a decent education system in place. But that would require some innovative thought and planning, too much for Detroit to handle i'm afraid. So instead we'll just sheckle out welfare money.

Dustin89
Username: Dustin89

Post Number: 134
Posted on Sunday, September 23, 2007 - 8:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This subject reminded me of something that's been discussed around our house this week. I live in Brandon Twp. at the end of a small dirt road, and in the past few months, the neighbors on both sides of our house have both gotten pit bulls. One is an English Pit Bull, but the one guy has 4 ( pit bulls; 3 are puppies and their mother is a rescued fight dog. They've been escaping on an almost daily basis and walking through our yard. Especially because I have a 7-year old sister and we have a small "toy" dog, this is obviously not a good thing. My Dad has known quite a few people who went through the "my pit bull is nice" routine; in one case, his friend's pit bull proceeded to maul the guy's son, who needed several hundred stitches. This debate has been brought to my front door because I'm now dealing with pit bulls on a daily basis. It just seems to be an unacceptable risk to me, especially b/c the dog is a rescued fight dog.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.