Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Century Club Building « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Billk
Username: Billk

Post Number: 112
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 2:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Workers installed signs on the Century Club yesterday advertising space for rent, the Grand Ballroom, and a web site, www.detroitcenturyclub.com
The web site doesn't really have any info yet, just a picture of the building.

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1101
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 5:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The link didn't work for me

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1673
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 5:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This century club?
http://www.gemdetroit.com/cent ury.html

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 5341
Posted on Saturday, September 15, 2007 - 9:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are you sure you're not talking about this other Chuck Forbes owned building called The Colony Club, over on Park Ave. & Montcalm? It has an opulent 2 story Louis XV style ballroom with chandeliers and an ornate plaster ceiling.

http://www.detroitcolonyclub.c om/

The Century Theatre over on Madison does not have a ballroom.

For some reason, people on this forum have gotten the Century and Colony buildings mixed up on quite a few threads over the last 2 years (I have as well!).

I'm still trying to find a pic of the wonderful 2 story ballroom that is the showcase of this building (behind the 2 story arched windows).

(Message edited by Gistok on September 15, 2007)

Rsa
Username: Rsa

Post Number: 1266
Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2007 - 2:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

here's two of mine, sorry they're not very high quality.
ballroom stage

ballroom entrance

Gistok

Post Number: 5350
Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2007 - 3:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks RSA,

Those 3 arches with railings along the mezzanine level have 3 matching arches on the opposite side with huge arched windows.

This room would make an elegant wedding reception hall, with all the gold gilded wall and ceiling details and chandeliers.

One of downtown Detroits nearly forgotten opulent interiors...

Rsa

Post Number: 1267
Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2007 - 3:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

your welcome gistok. here's a picture of the wall you're talking about, opposite of the second picture above:
west wall

i agree; it is one of the nicest forgotten spaces around. the forbes' should really be commended on keeping it in such a great state.

the only wart on this beautiful lady is that there was fire stairwell run directly thru the ballroom opposite the stage (not pictured). this was required when they converted the building to educational uses. unfortunately, it is cinder block construction, clad in mirrors, with a steel exit door and lit up sign. really spoils the space IMO.

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 1752
Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2007 - 3:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

this building was (for a while) the campus of the Detroit Institute of Technology, wasn't it?

(Message edited by 56packman on September 16, 2007)

Gistok

Post Number: 5351
Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2007 - 8:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes it was used as some sort of classroom space, which explains the weird fire exit with a mirror in front. IIRC, if you were looking that way from the middle of the room all you would see is a big mirror, and not the cinder blocks, et al.

Billk

Post Number: 114
Posted on Monday, September 17, 2007 - 1:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm an idiot. I meant to say the Colony Club (on Park Ave.). www.detroitcolonyclub.com

Gistok

Post Number: 5360
Posted on Monday, September 17, 2007 - 3:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rsa, I wonder if there were ever actual arched windows within the arched framework. Or were they always just rectangular. You know how mid 20th century rehabs did some modernizing that wasn't always in keeping with the original style or spirit of the building.

Those window frames scream for actual arched windows, which would really flood the interior with light.

Rsa

Post Number: 1268
Posted on Monday, September 17, 2007 - 3:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

they sure were gistok. here's a picture of the exterior taken shortly after construction was completed:
exterior

Gistok

Post Number: 5361
Posted on Monday, September 17, 2007 - 3:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks once again Rsa! As we can see a mid 20th century rehab was done on this building as well, which explains why some of the floors have different window sizes on the same floor.

When it first opened, it had many elegant architectural features (such as bay windows) that are gone today.

However, even back then, it was more of a hodgepodge of different architectural elements, and it was somehow lacking as a unified architectural ensemble.

It's as though someone took a pattern book of architectural ideas and put together a building where no 2 floors are remotely similar, and therefore lacking in cohesion.

Am I wrong?

(Message edited by Gistok on September 17, 2007)

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1705
Posted on Monday, September 17, 2007 - 6:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think that one could even argue Gistok, that the placements of some of those windows even on the original facade are somewhat obscure. This building always looked sort of odd to me. I had assumed that there was some 'face lifts' done to the building at some point, but even the original is quite a bit different really from any building in downtown Detroit. I guess this all was a result from function. Certainly it was not designed for office spaces, retail, etc. Therefore the smaller windows that might otherwise be nice on some buildings look far between and minute.

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 76
Posted on Tuesday, September 18, 2007 - 11:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone know what was the original use for the building? It's history?

Dannyoshow
Username: Dannyoshow

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, September 19, 2007 - 3:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Greetings..
Now up and running..
http://www.colonyclubdetroit.c om

Raptor56
Username: Raptor56

Post Number: 104
Posted on Wednesday, September 19, 2007 - 4:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looks like a pretty swanky place. interesting how when you click on the "wedding Book 2007" it only has info for the Century and Gem theaters. Nothing about Colony

Xd_brklyn
Username: Xd_brklyn

Post Number: 312
Posted on Wednesday, September 19, 2007 - 4:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There's an auditorium in there that functioned as a rock club, Clutch Cargo's, in the early 80s. Can't remember too many notable shows there though. Also remember there was a lot of Pewabic tile on the stairs and hallways. And isn't there an indoor pool all done in Pewabic tile as well? Nice place. The ground floor had a cafe for a short time.

That mirrored block in the Club's Louis XIVth ballroom certainly is imposing. Couldn't they remove it?

(Message edited by xD_brklyn on September 19, 2007)

Rsa

Post Number: 1277
Posted on Wednesday, September 19, 2007 - 5:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

nope xd, you're getting it confused with the women's century club down the street. this building is not the one that held clutch cargo's.

Gistok

Post Number: 5374
Posted on Wednesday, September 19, 2007 - 6:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If I remember correctly at some point in the past Chuck Forbes offered the building up for sale at just over $1 million. That ballroom alone is worth that price. Glad no one snatched it up.

Perhaps the SuperBowl revenue generated from renting out that glorious space allowed Mr. Forbes to further renovate the building. I'm glad he kept it!

If that emergency exit behind the mirror must remain for fire codes, maybe they could jazz up the huge mirror a bit with a fancy picture frame type framework or other ornate architectural embellishments.

Xd_brklyn
Username: Xd_brklyn

Post Number: 313
Posted on Wednesday, September 19, 2007 - 6:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok, thanks clearing that up. Always thought the Century Club on Park & Elizabeth was used as a Police Academy, but looks like I got it confused with the Colony.

Will have to check out the Colony next time I'm in town and get my buildings straight.

Rsa

Post Number: 1278
Posted on Wednesday, September 19, 2007 - 6:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

everyone confuses the two xd; we've had quite the debate on previous threads. they're easy to mix up: the women's colony club on park held the DPD police academy, while the women's century club on park held the DPD recruitment center.

the latter was built by matilda dodge wilson after all of the other women's clubs refused her entry. stylistically (craftsman), it is very similar to meadowbrook and music hall.

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1716
Posted on Wednesday, September 19, 2007 - 7:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Damn that really is quite an extensive photo gallery on their web site. I was thinking there might be like ten at most, but there is like 40!

Gistok

Post Number: 5375
Posted on Wednesday, September 19, 2007 - 7:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rsa, why was she refused entry? I'm assuming it was because she (born Matilda Rausch) was John Dodge's "lowly born" secretary before he married her?

I guess she had the last laugh, with not only that club, but also the fact that she built the Wilson Theatre (later Music Hall), as well as the largest mansion in Michigan (Meadowbrook Hall).

Irish_mafia
Username: Irish_mafia

Post Number: 1041
Posted on Wednesday, September 19, 2007 - 9:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Very cool.

That whole Park Avenue district just keeps getting better and better.

My grandmother used to hang out at the Colony Club I believe.

BillK, can you edit the name of the thread so that it reads the right building name?

Thanks

Rsa

Post Number: 1280
Posted on Thursday, September 20, 2007 - 10:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

gistok; i don't know too much about why detroit society didn't approve of her much. i think, in part, some of it was what you mentioned. i also think the other parts of it were that she got remarried, was pretty head-strong, and cantankerous. i know the latter two are what led her to build music hall, but it would lead me to believe that the more "moral" aspects of her life had the ladies up in arms. basically, in other words, i've heard that she just simply pissed a lot of people off.

Sknutson
Username: Sknutson

Post Number: 945
Posted on Tuesday, September 25, 2007 - 2:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Highlighted in today's ModelD

http://www.modeldmedia.com/dev elopmentnews/colonyclub11207.a spx?utm_campaign=Reinventing%2 0Traditions&utm_medium=Email&u tm_source=VerticalResponse&utm _term=Colony%20Club%20ballroom %20restored%2C%20ready%20to%20 host%20swanky%20Park%20Ave%2E% 20events

Billk

Post Number: 120
Posted on Tuesday, September 25, 2007 - 3:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How do I edit the name of this thread ?

Gistok

Post Number: 5409
Posted on Tuesday, September 25, 2007 - 6:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the link Sknutson... now I have to figure out how to tell the difference between Louis XIV, Louis XV and Louis XVI styles! :-)

Of course they cover 150 years (6 generations) of history (1638-1789), since Louis XV was the greatgrand son of Louis XIV, and Louis XVI was the grandson of Louis XV. (3 generations died off before they could make their ascendency.)

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1743
Posted on Tuesday, September 25, 2007 - 7:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"How do I edit the name of this thread ?"

Pretty much not doable. If you edited it after it was already started, then how would we know what happened to the thread. Can start a new one and link the threads together...

Krawlspace
Username: Krawlspace

Post Number: 323
Posted on Tuesday, September 25, 2007 - 9:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DPD was in the Women's City Club Building on Park at Elizabeth, not the Women's Colony Club. I believe they still have a presence there. All the horrible metal paneling over the first two floors has been removed, revealing much of the window structure, and a view to the lobby, with what appears to be a Pewabic tiled wall on the stairwell.

I have not seen where the Colony Club was referred to as a women's club. My research indicated it was primarily a men's club with couples functions.

One item from the Women's City Club I came across while working at the State Theatre was a plaque ca. 1930 listing participants in the Club's swimming league. There were approximately 24 names listed, every one of which was obviously a woman, and not a one actually named the woman. All the names listed were entries such as Mrs. Charles Jones, Mrs. James Wade, etc. It struck me as to how acceptable, and almost expected, this was for that era.

I have about 200 photos of the Colony Club interior from a tour we took of the building about 3 years ago, when Mr. Forbes initially listed it for sale. My company passed on the building for two reasons. The primary issue harming the property from a bar business standpoint is parking. It's already a mess there on any weekend from the Pump crowd, let alone a game night. Secondly was the hacked in, mirrored stairwell on the west side of the ballroom. WSU did this to comply with fire code. It was horrible. I have no idea if this has been removed or not during the recent renovation.
I will try to post some pics tomorrow.

(Message edited by krawlspace on September 25, 2007)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.