Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Paczkis in Detroit « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jjw
Username: Jjw

Post Number: 450
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 6:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone know where I can get some prune-filled paczkis in the Detroit area? My dad used to love them and he is in the hospital not doing well at all. I would love to bring him some while I am here. He used to buy them on Michigan Avenue near Lonyo somewhere but I drove around there and couldn't find a shop that sold them. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 3252
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 6:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You might try calling this place if it's not too far away. I'm sure others will get mention here too.

Utica Heights Bakery
46715 Van Dyke (south of 21 mile)
Utica, MI 48317
Phone: 586-731-8960
Polish Baked Goods

Their website was http://www.uticaheightsbakery. com/ but it's down.

Jrvass
Username: Jrvass

Post Number: 214
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 7:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are they sold at anytime except for Fat Tuesday? If they are, I never knew that.

Jjw, if they are being sold now, then you'll find them. If not, I would try to persuade a Hamtramck bakery to make a small batch for your father. It may cost some $$. But why not?

I hope he gets better.

Jjw

Post Number: 451
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 8:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He used to stop at some bakery and buy them every other Saturday morning and bring them home. I will try the Utica place. Thanks for that and also maybe give Hamtramck a shot. Maybe a Prune Danish could be a good substitute?

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 3254
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 8:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Be sure to call ahead. I think that Utica place only has them fresh on one day of the week. Maybe Wednesday? Sorry, I forgot.

Texorama
Username: Texorama

Post Number: 58
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 11:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looks as though Copernicus Grocery in Ann Arbor has them. See:

http://www.kitchenchick.com/20 07/01/copernicus_poli.html

This was posted well before Paczki Day. Phone number is on that page.

Dbc
Username: Dbc

Post Number: 76
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 11:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jjw, the following places have paczki year round:

1. New Palace Bakery (9833 Jos Campau - Hamtramck)

2. New Deluxe Bakery (11920 Conant - Detroit, but right on the Hamtramck border)

3. Sunnyside Bakery (5422 E. McNichols - Detroit)

4. New Martha Washington Bakery (10335 Jos Campau - Hamtramck)

5. West Warren Bakery (15708 W. Warren - Detroit)

Plus, you can get them at Polish Market, Stan's, and, I believe, Srodek's all on Jos Campau in Hamtramck.

I have been to the first three, all of which make an excellent paczek. No need to call ahead if you get there early, as the only reason they would not have paczki is that they sold out. (All three also make excellent kolaczki and chrusciki (angel wings).) Anyway, I would recommend going to Hamtramck to get the old neighborhood feel and, if you have any interest in doing so, to get anything else Polish you may want at Polish Market and Stan's. If you have a hankering for some great Polish food, you could also do lunch at Polish Village Café, Polonia, or Under the Eagle in Hamtramck and Krakus in Detroit – all within a mile or so of one another on Campau.

Also, if you are intent on going to the Michigan/Lonyo area, Markowycz's European Home Style Sausage at 8616 Michigan MAY have paczki. Never been there either, but I hear they make killer sausage.

Sorry for sales pitch-esque post, but I’m getting homesick and hungry out here in DC just thinking about Polish baked goods and Hamtramck. What I wouldn't give for a Polish Plate and an Okocim Porter right now.

Jjw

Post Number: 452
Posted on Saturday, September 15, 2007 - 7:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks all. I copied the page and will now have a mission.

Broken_main
Username: Broken_main

Post Number: 1296
Posted on Saturday, September 15, 2007 - 9:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good luck Jjw...I hope your father enjoys his treat. I am praying for him.

Jjw

Post Number: 456
Posted on Thursday, September 27, 2007 - 4:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I want to thank everyone who contributed. I ended up going to the West Warren Bakery. They make a prune Danish but you have to pre-order it and then pick it up. I bought one and brought him two slices daily. He has dementia along with heart failure and cancer but boy did his eyes light up when he bit into it. Then, I bought him another one. The folks in that place are great. He has since been transferred to a nursing home and my sister is handling it as I had to get back to work. By the way, Detroit, with all of its problems---looks great!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.