Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Beaners changing its name « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Yvette248
Username: Yvette248

Post Number: 937
Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2007 - 11:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I didn't know about this.....

Beaner's Coffee, based in East Lansing, Mich., on Friday informed franchisees and employees at its 77 stores in Michigan and eight other states that it would become Biggby Coffee, effective Jan. 31.

"That just doesn't really fall within our mission to have a name that is derogatory," Bob Fish, 44, Beaner's chief executive, told The Associated Press in a telephone interview. "We felt it was important to do the right thing and change the name." According to the Oxford English Dictionary, the term was preceded by "bean-eater," a slur against Latin-Americans, particularly Mexicans.

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 2123
Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2007 - 11:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Next up...Cracker Barrel

Jazzstage
Username: Jazzstage

Post Number: 107
Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2007 - 11:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And I always thought beaners was a drug term for marijuana seeds. Who knew?

Michmeister
Username: Michmeister

Post Number: 248
Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2007 - 12:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Let`s go for a soda at crackers.

Yvette248

Post Number: 940
Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2007 - 12:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good one, thejesus. I cracked up laughing!

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 407
Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2007 - 1:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe they felt people might think it was Mexican coffee.

Dougw
Username: Dougw

Post Number: 1889
Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2007 - 1:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Have to admit I've never heard the term "beaner" used as a slur... maybe it's a regional (southwestern US) thing?

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 1313
Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2007 - 1:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Biggby? lol wtf.

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1954
Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2007 - 1:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does this mean that Billy Frogg's Bar and Grill in Omaha, Nebraska will have to change its name as not being sensitive to the French?
Limey's restaurant in Sheffield, MA will probably be next.
I draw the line at Jjaba's Place in South Maui, Hawaii.

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 4932
Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2007 - 1:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How about all the Honky Tonks around the country? There has to be several dozen bars with the word "Honky" (as in Honky Tonk)in the title. Hilarious.

Texorama
Username: Texorama

Post Number: 59
Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2007 - 1:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oddly enough, "honky tonk" as a bar/venue appears to predate "honky" as a term of ethnic endearment, and thus to be probably unrelated to it. See Nick Tosches's great book on country music, where he quotes a newspaper from 1894 that uses "honk-a-tonk."

As for Beaner's, I would have gone with "Full of Beans" if I were them.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 5347
Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2007 - 2:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

While he's trying to be politically correct, that Bob Fish guy should change his last name as well... "Fish" is a derogatory term in the gay community...

Jazzstage
Username: Jazzstage

Post Number: 109
Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2007 - 3:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gistok,

That stinks.

Granmontrules
Username: Granmontrules

Post Number: 164
Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2007 - 4:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I guess I am behind in my racial slurs...I never knew that? Glad they are doing the right thing. But "Cracker" Barrel really does fit! haha

Ladyinabag
Username: Ladyinabag

Post Number: 322
Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2007 - 4:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This has got to be the dumbest thing that I have ever heard. This guy is drinking too much coffee. Either this or he is so one-dimensional that he is reaching.

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 6187
Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2007 - 5:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Since I grew up in SWD, I heard that slur used all my life.

I was very surprised to see it as the name for the chain, I never went into one because of that name.

Shark
Username: Shark

Post Number: 284
Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2007 - 5:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The vast majority of people have never heard of that as a racial slur. Even if people had heard "beaner" used as a rude term, anyone with a brain knows that the coffee shop was named Beaners because coffee comes from beans. Beaners changing their name is essentially a validation of that word as a slur.

Jams

Post Number: 6191
Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2007 - 5:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Your point?

Remember "Sambo's" before the name change to "Denny's"?

Shark

Post Number: 285
Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2007 - 5:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I made my point Jams.

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 1202
Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2007 - 5:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Denny's bought 800 Sambo's restaurants as they were going out of business, but Sambo's did not change their name to Denny's.

Hooha
Username: Hooha

Post Number: 148
Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2007 - 6:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Honestly, the only time I've heard beaner used as a slur is by Carlos Mencia. And with how often he uses it, you think it'd be socially acceptable by now.

This is just Beaners being proactive and avoiding some headaches in the future.

Jams

Post Number: 6192
Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2007 - 6:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll accept that. I never heard of Denny's prior to the opening in AP on Southfield, loved the Denny's Deluxe with a Kona coffee after a night at Maury's.

I had been told that "Sambo's" became "Denny's'
years ago, I never looked further into it.

Despite that, to a portion of the population, "Beaners" is a derogatory name, and I, for one, am glad the corporation addressed it.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 3273
Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2007 - 6:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This thread is more fun than a barrel of crackers.

Perfectgentleman
Username: Perfectgentleman

Post Number: 2801
Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2007 - 7:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Next up...Cracker Barrel

LOL

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1106
Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2007 - 7:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S ambo%27s

Ddmoore54
Username: Ddmoore54

Post Number: 331
Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2007 - 7:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've had friends come visit from out west and want to take pictures with the Beaners signs because they can't believe there is a coffee place named after such a slur.

Kslice
Username: Kslice

Post Number: 154
Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2007 - 8:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ever watch mind of Mencia? I don't but I know he uses the term Beaner all the time for Mexicans.

I heard this story a while ago. They tried to move down south but all the Mexicans were in an uproar.

Political correctness run amok.

Jimaz

Post Number: 3277
Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2007 - 9:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't think I'd ever heard the term used in Phoenix but then I didn't hang out with the kind of people who would use such terms. I do recall hearing it used by Cheech & Chong though.

You would think they would have routinely caught this before naming the place, which brings to mind the urban legend about Coca Cola's Bite the Wax Tadpole. :-)

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 138
Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2007 - 10:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i was actually thinking about this two days ago when i bought a cupojoe, it would be hard to expand in KaliFornIa
Spic & Span. Again, a nice way to have the Hispanic community all up in your s t.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 5354
Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2007 - 10:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, and on TV in the 60's they should never have named that town next to Pixley.... Hooterville!

And by the same token I wonder how many folks were aghast in the 1950's when June Cleaver uttered those shocking words... "Ward weren't you a little hard on the Beaver last night?" :-)

Goose
Username: Goose

Post Number: 44
Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2007 - 11:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Beaners = Bean Eaters????

since when did it become a bad to be a bean eater???

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 5932
Posted on Monday, September 17, 2007 - 2:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The eating of beans is fine. What comes forth (literally) afterwards can be offensive. Someone queue up that scene from "Blazing Saddles" please.

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 383
Posted on Monday, September 17, 2007 - 10:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hilarious - a fellow forumer and I were talking about this same subject last week.

Smart move.

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 2341
Posted on Monday, September 17, 2007 - 10:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just know that I wouldn't want to be called a "biggby."

Irish_mafia
Username: Irish_mafia

Post Number: 1036
Posted on Monday, September 17, 2007 - 1:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://whiteysbarandgrillia.sa msbiz.com/

Irish_mafia
Username: Irish_mafia

Post Number: 1037
Posted on Monday, September 17, 2007 - 1:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.littlekraut.com/acc laim.html

Waz
Username: Waz

Post Number: 199
Posted on Monday, September 17, 2007 - 2:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kind of awkward for the Biggby/Beaners company in that they're currently opening a location on Woodward south of 13 Mile. I don't believe they have any permanent signage up yet, though.

This reminds me of the story (not sure whether it's true or not)of why Chevy had such a hard time selling the Nova in Mexico until they realized it loosely translated into Spanish as "Won't go".

Professorscott
Username: Professorscott

Post Number: 750
Posted on Monday, September 17, 2007 - 2:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not loosely; put a space in and it's exact. "No va" in Spanish is a sentence, the precise meaning of which is "It doesn't go", which actually turned out to be a pretty good description of that car.

I'm not hispanic at all, but I knew the first time I saw a "Beaner's" that it was a stupid name. Never mind there's another innocuous coffee-related meaning; it's still stupid.

Shark

Post Number: 286
Posted on Monday, September 17, 2007 - 4:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.snopes.com/business /misxlate/nova.asp

Waz
Username: Waz

Post Number: 201
Posted on Monday, September 17, 2007 - 4:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, Shark. I always approached the Nova story with a bit of suspicion.

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 151
Posted on Monday, September 17, 2007 - 6:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That is a bad mane.
If I had a Franchise and they told me they were changing the name to Biggby's; I would sue to get my money back knowing I would lose at least 10+% of my business.

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 2379
Posted on Monday, September 17, 2007 - 7:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did they just pull "Biggby" out of a hat? I hope it has some significance.

Thecarl
Username: Thecarl

Post Number: 1040
Posted on Monday, September 17, 2007 - 7:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Kind of awkward for the Biggby/Beaners company in that they're currently opening a location on Woodward south of 13 Mile. I don't believe they have any permanent signage up yet, though.

This reminds me of the story (not sure whether it's true or not)of why Chevy had such a hard time selling the Nova in Mexico until they realized it loosely translated into Spanish as "Won't go".

drove by the beaner's in r.o. tonight. they *do* have "permanent" signage. oops!!!

also, the buick lacrosse has a different nameplate in canada...it's the "allure." gm execs figured out a little too late that "lacrosse" is canadian slang for, um, "self-love."

let's just hope "biggby" isn't a derogatory term for someone with a bariatric disorder.

Civilprotectionunit4346
Username: Civilprotectionunit4346

Post Number: 505
Posted on Monday, September 17, 2007 - 8:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We should rename T.G.I.F. to H.S.I.O.W(Holy Sh-- it's only wednsday)...Make people drink alot more thinking it was wednsday.

Yvette248

Post Number: 944
Posted on Monday, September 17, 2007 - 8:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I really think the worst part was the decision to rename the store Biggby's. What in the hell is that? I wouldn't go there simply because I wouldn't know what in the hell they were selling.

Coffee Beanery for me.

Nyct
Username: Nyct

Post Number: 72
Posted on Tuesday, September 18, 2007 - 12:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

stuff like this happens all the time. burger king was originally known as "i hate mexicans" before they realized the name was bad for business ... and look what they've become now.

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 2139
Posted on Tuesday, September 18, 2007 - 12:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I really think the worst part was the decision to rename the store Biggby's. What in the hell is that? I wouldn't go there simply because I wouldn't know what in the hell they were selling."

Starbucks didn't seem to have that problem...

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 2513
Posted on Tuesday, September 18, 2007 - 12:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.imdiversity.com/Vil lages/Asian/civil_human_equal_ rights/archives/aoyagi_chinks_ steaks_philadelphia.asp

"When Susannah Park, 21, first learned there was a restaurant in Philadelphia called "Chink’s Steaks" she thought her friend was joking around with her. Unfortunately her friend was serious. Established in 1949, "Chink’s Steaks" is a popular eatery famous for its cheesesteaks right in the small Philadelphia town of Wissinoming."

Rb336
Username: Rb336

Post Number: 2312
Posted on Tuesday, September 18, 2007 - 1:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

more:
"Groh took over the business in 1999 after working at the restaurant for 25 years, ever since he was 16 years old. The restaurant was voted Best of Philly for cheese steaks by Philly Magazine in 2002 and was a winner in the 2003 Best of Citysearch Philadelphia. Groh bought the business from its founder, the late Samuel Sherman whose nickname was "Chink.""

Beaner's reminds me of Cheech and Chong

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 532
Posted on Tuesday, September 18, 2007 - 1:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yep, there is a place in the Wisconsin Dells called Nig's Bar, since 1947.

Not to mention all the squaw places.

As for Biggby's I heard it pronounced like 'the Big B's.'

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 2514
Posted on Tuesday, September 18, 2007 - 1:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tasty asian snack.

Treelock
Username: Treelock

Post Number: 219
Posted on Tuesday, September 18, 2007 - 1:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Biggby Coffee — ugh. This could prove a Herculean rebranding effort.

Guess there were no more available patents for coffee shops that want to use some kind of "Bean" derivative.

Jimaz

Post Number: 3294
Posted on Tuesday, September 18, 2007 - 1:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Creap

A sweet little Japanese lady gave me a jar of this. It's pretty good stuff.

Zephyrprocess
Username: Zephyrprocess

Post Number: 464
Posted on Tuesday, September 18, 2007 - 5:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I really think the worst part was the decision to rename the store Biggby's. What in the hell is that?

http://www.answers.com/topic/b eaners-gourmet-coffee-logo-jpg

Arc312
Username: Arc312

Post Number: 46
Posted on Tuesday, September 18, 2007 - 5:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

just as we still sometimes call macy's hudson, I will continue to call beaners...beaners.

"Biggby's" does not have enough vowels and it is much more dificult to pronounce it than "beaners". beaners flows off the top of my tounge much better.

ugh.

Newport1128
Username: Newport1128

Post Number: 131
Posted on Tuesday, September 18, 2007 - 7:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can't believe that White Castle hasn't come under attack from the PC crowd. They could always change their name to "Sliders'R'Us".
Back in the early 60's White Tower (another politically incorrect name) had a burger called the "Big Whitey".

Scottr
Username: Scottr

Post Number: 765
Posted on Wednesday, September 19, 2007 - 12:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

also, the buick lacrosse has a different nameplate in canada...it's the "allure." gm execs figured out a little too late that "lacrosse" is canadian slang for, um, "self-love."

what i never understood is why they never used similar reasoning to rename Hummer.

I agree with Arc312, 'Biggby's' just does not flow right. I understand why they're changing the name, just not why they chose that as the replacement.

Larryinflorida
Username: Larryinflorida

Post Number: 1036
Posted on Tuesday, September 25, 2007 - 7:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think all the non-goofy names have been taken.
That one is goofy, for sure.
Beaners is a well established slur in the south and southwest.
I was always wondering when they would catch hell.

Dabirch
Username: Dabirch

Post Number: 2414
Posted on Tuesday, September 25, 2007 - 7:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nyct -- some delayed kudos for that one.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.