Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Cody....Cody Comets! « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Chuckjav
Username: Chuckjav

Post Number: 40
Posted on Monday, September 17, 2007 - 10:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Come on now...all you defenders of the Green and Silver...step up and tell us about yourself!

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1420
Posted on Monday, September 17, 2007 - 2:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

<-- attended summer school at Cody to get ahead in math one year, also driver's ed.

I also attended there for kindegarten when everett elementary was part of the building. I still can't believe that at five years of age we walked to and from school unsupervised!

Chuckjav

Post Number: 45
Posted on Monday, September 17, 2007 - 3:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh yes, Detroitplanner - I know what you mean.
As an eight year old, I would walk from our home near old Miller High School to Tiger Stadium; this was in 1966.

I loved the Tigers...what can I say.

Fredgarvin
Username: Fredgarvin

Post Number: 60
Posted on Monday, September 17, 2007 - 3:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Chuck, don't personally know a lot about Cody (except that my parents taught me the fight song when I was a kid, and remember it to this day). They both went to Cody, and were graduates in the mid '50s.
Actually, my grandparents owned a malt shop called Flips at Plymouth and Burt rds. My Mom used to work behind the counter after school. If you remember that, I'm sure you knew my family.

Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1421
Posted on Monday, September 17, 2007 - 3:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Flips sounds familiar, was that a Daley's for a while?

Winstin_o_boogie_iii
Username: Winstin_o_boogie_iii

Post Number: 91
Posted on Monday, September 17, 2007 - 4:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I took driver's ed there in the mid 70's. The teacher's name was Cosgrove, I think. Can anyone confirm this? He ruled like a former Marine Drill Sgt., although fair.

Ericdetfan
Username: Ericdetfan

Post Number: 183
Posted on Monday, September 17, 2007 - 4:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

both mom and dad graduated from Cody

Yaktown
Username: Yaktown

Post Number: 227
Posted on Monday, September 17, 2007 - 9:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My mom graduated from Cody in January 1966. I guess she was kind of a goof-off,she was supposed to graduate in June 1965! She grew up on Burt Road, just a few houses north of Joy Road.

Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1422
Posted on Monday, September 17, 2007 - 9:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cosgrove was a driver's ed teacher. Nearly everyone I knew (including the kids who grew up in Redford) were taking driver's ed classes at Cody in the mid-80's. I was in Mr Brawn's class.

Ramcharger
Username: Ramcharger

Post Number: 458
Posted on Monday, September 17, 2007 - 10:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Come on now...all you defenders of the Green and Silver

I thought the school colors were gray and green, as in...

"Go get em' Cody, fight for gray and green.
We're right behind you, loyal to our team. rah, rah, rah.
Step up there Cody, try to bring us fame.
But, win or lose we're with you, there's honor in our name."

Of course, I'm sure silver works out much better for things like prom decorations.

Sbradke
Username: Sbradke

Post Number: 28
Posted on Monday, September 17, 2007 - 10:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't remember which drivers ed teacher I had, but he was definitely like a marine sergeant. He had a point system and I almost didn't pass because the first day apparently I made rolling stops every time so I was demerited, say, 19 of the 20 possible points before flunking. And of course he didn't tell you or correct you until the three hour day was done.

I attended Cody 79-81.

And there were metal detectors then ;-(

Ericdetfan
Username: Ericdetfan

Post Number: 184
Posted on Tuesday, September 18, 2007 - 12:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dad was class of '74
Mom was class of '75

Renfirst
Username: Renfirst

Post Number: 47
Posted on Tuesday, September 18, 2007 - 1:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mom's currently a chem teacher at Cody H.S.

I look at that building and just imagine what it must have been like 30 years ago. It's a beautiful building and I wish they'd do more to it.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 6531
Posted on Tuesday, September 18, 2007 - 6:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes I'm a Cody Comet. Cody High still remains the the Best Detroit Public High School in the West Side. C.H.S. graduate '03

Danny

Post Number: 6532
Posted on Tuesday, September 18, 2007 - 6:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fredgarvin,

That Flip's Malt Shop on Plymouth Rd. near Burt Rd. That building could be there, now a coney island.

Chuckjav

Post Number: 46
Posted on Tuesday, September 18, 2007 - 6:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was enjoying all the Cody posts - have to admit - I should have known better than to substitute silver for gray. I work at a high school in SW Ohio; has the same colors as Mackenzie - blue & gray...but down here, they call it blue and silver.

Part of the reason why I talk-up so many different Detroit schools is because I life guarded at just about every Detroit school that had a swimming pool.

Sad story about life guarding at Cody....

One night in the spring of '76, I arrived at the usual time - only to find all my swimmers lined up at the locked entry door. Upon arrival of the lead lifeguard, we determined that the pool was to remain closed for some reason that I no longer remember. We informed all the children...they went their separate ways; a few minutes later, the lead guard and I took off for a nearby bar.

We made our way up to W. Chicago...there was a huge traffic jam & a freight train was blocking the road. Sadly, as the traffic cleared and the train backed up...we saw a mangled bicycle that I recognized as belonging to one of the children from the line at the pool. A little boy had just been killed while trying to beat the train across the tracks.

You know, to this day, I still think about how...if the damn swimming pool had been open that night - that little boy would still be alive.

(Message edited by chuckjav on September 18, 2007)

Fredgarvin
Username: Fredgarvin

Post Number: 61
Posted on Tuesday, September 18, 2007 - 4:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Detroitplanner and Danny, I checked on a map and Flip's was at Plymouth and Auburn. I know after my grandparents sold Flip's, it became a Rexall drug store. It was only a block away from my grandparent's house at Plymouth and Minock. It was on the NW corner of Plymouth and Auburn, and was part of a continunous building that stretched all along that block N of Plymouth rd.

Hope this helps.

Renfirst
Username: Renfirst

Post Number: 50
Posted on Wednesday, September 19, 2007 - 3:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Danny,

Have any kind words about Mrs. Jalili ??? Did you have her?

Pjazz
Username: Pjazz

Post Number: 86
Posted on Wednesday, September 19, 2007 - 4:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cody comet Class of 1979. I'm trying to recall a few of my teachers. English Mrs Gabrowski, Mrs Duncan History, Algebra Mr Frost,I think I had Cosgrove drivers training. Go Comets!

Rchopko
Username: Rchopko

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, September 20, 2007 - 2:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Class of 1978:
Mrs. Dinwittie (sp)for English, Greyson for Math, Frost for Geometry....

393bird
Username: 393bird

Post Number: 8
Posted on Saturday, September 22, 2007 - 3:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When we lived in Michigan, my Father worked on Burt Rd, just north of Plymouth. It was a small factory called Goddards, or Goddard & Goddard. I met some girls that lived near there while spending time at the pools at Rouge Park. They went to Cody. I had some of the best times of my teens there.

We moved to Tennessee around 1960. I have thought of those days often. Anyone know if the factory is there still? I heard the company was bought out several times, and last known as "Carmet", or something close. My Father worked for them for 45 years.

Stinger4me
Username: Stinger4me

Post Number: 53
Posted on Saturday, September 22, 2007 - 5:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can't recall the last of a girl who graduated in June '65. Her first name was Judy, she was blond, a swimmer. She had great looks and personality. She attended Highland Park Comm. College in fall of '65.

Danny

Post Number: 6561
Posted on Saturday, September 22, 2007 - 6:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cody High School, Class of 2003. YAY! I was a Comet to the end.

Repeater
Username: Repeater

Post Number: 21
Posted on Saturday, September 22, 2007 - 8:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1966 Graduate Go get em Cody

Stinger4me
Username: Stinger4me

Post Number: 56
Posted on Saturday, September 22, 2007 - 9:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey "Repeater" did you know any of the girls on the swim team?

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.