Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Motor city speedway « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Eastside_man
Username: Eastside_man

Post Number: 5
Posted on Monday, September 17, 2007 - 1:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

use to be at 8 mile an Schoener.Was tore down to build an Arlands.

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 1183
Posted on Monday, September 17, 2007 - 1:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

View old Motor City Speedway Information and photos here.

Eastside_man

Post Number: 6
Posted on Monday, September 17, 2007 - 3:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone remmember Jupiters I think it was at Gratiot just befor 10 mile. Drive thru there in my 65 Chevelle many a times.

Kville
Username: Kville

Post Number: 80
Posted on Tuesday, September 18, 2007 - 5:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We discussed this in another thread, but Jupiter's was the successor to a drive-in called Kozy Korner that had been on the west side of Harper between 7 & 8 Mile Rd and had been torn down when the expressway came through. Kozy Korner (along with the Rainbow Drive-In next door to it) advertised its foot-long hot dogs on its sign. When Jupiter's first opened, it said "Formerly Kozy Korner" at the bottom of its sign. My family ate there fairly regularly for a while until one time when my mom had some kind of insect inside the bun of her burger. She didn't know it until she bit into it and it sprayed something in her mouth. I remember that her tongue was all green afterwards. The waitresses were really upset and everyone apologized all over the place, noting that they should have toasted the buns. It offered little consolation to my mom and we never went back (obviously).

Drankin21
Username: Drankin21

Post Number: 119
Posted on Tuesday, September 18, 2007 - 9:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Very sad that this track is gone. I loved all of the old photos. Anyone have any idea where you could find some of the old advertising posters?

Is it just me or can you see the remnant of the northern short chute in the modern Google map photo.

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl =en&t=h&ie=UTF8&ll=42.451362,- 82.98301&spn=0.005304,0.010042 &z=17&om=1

Eastside_man

Post Number: 8
Posted on Thursday, September 20, 2007 - 2:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Excuse me Kville I am speaking of the Jupiters that was on Gratiot between 9 and 10 mile.

Kville
Username: Kville

Post Number: 81
Posted on Friday, September 21, 2007 - 5:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eastside_man - that's what I was talking about too. When Kozy Korner was torn down because of the expressway, it relocated to Gratiot out in East Detroit as Jupiter's.

Karl_jr
Username: Karl_jr

Post Number: 83
Posted on Friday, September 21, 2007 - 8:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Is it just me or can you see the remnant of the northern short chute in the modern Google map photo."

I noticed that a couple of months ago. You can compare it to the DTE maps and match it up! I am no where comp. savvy enough to post the pics, maybe some one can. I keep meaning to go there and check it out.

The "local.live.com" shows it better.

(Message edited by karl jr. on September 21, 2007)

Hornist9
Username: Hornist9

Post Number: 46
Posted on Sunday, September 23, 2007 - 9:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can remember as a small child being able to watch some of the races on TV. I think the announcer was Fred Wolf and they were broadcast on WXYZ.

We lived in Center Line, and on quiet nights, we could the racing. Too bad the track went belly up for a shopping center and a now gone Movie House (The Warren Cinema).

Goirish1966
Username: Goirish1966

Post Number: 27
Posted on Sunday, September 23, 2007 - 12:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

andy barto, the motor city speedway promoter, also tried his hand in promoting professional wrestling there in the summer of 1949.

the jupiter drive-in was located on the east side of gratiot, in the first block south of stephens (9 1/2 mile road).

the old building was recently torn down, but my mind is blank as to what is there now.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.