Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Gay & Lesbian in metro Detroit » Archive through September 14, 2007 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Lobsterpots
Username: Lobsterpots

Post Number: 53
Posted on Thursday, September 13, 2007 - 6:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I drove out to the D a couple of weeks ago with my partners sister. We did a road trip. It was the weekend that it was pouring rain. we looked at a bunch of homes. We found the leakers! The prices have gone down more even since then!
I got my partner good..I have a picture of the house that I want as a screensaver on the computer.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 2404
Posted on Thursday, September 13, 2007 - 7:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"OK first of all let's set the record straight, as it were: Ferndale, while adorable, is the suburbs and it feels like the suburbs and it thinks like the suburbs, so let's not confuse the concept of a gay city neighborhood with that. It's about as diverse as my family reunions, but if a bungalow of indeterminable pedigree or a loftominium is your idea of gay urban living then have at it! "

I would like to say, though I myself am not gay, that Ferndale would be a very nice place for you to live Lobster. And I am about 90% sure we will have a gay mayor after the upcoming election. Who is also, incidentally, the head of the Midwest Aids Prevention Project, and does many, many gay friendly events here. There is a GLBT community center here, too. I only quoted the above to say I don't think Ferndale thinks like the suburbs that much. Ferndale is all about a mass transit system, and they narrowed one of their main streets, 9 mile, in order to provide better parking and larger sidewalks! Not too many suburbs think of people before cars.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 2405
Posted on Thursday, September 13, 2007 - 7:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

However, thinking about it more, if you do want to buy a bunch of houses in Detroit, and get people to move in that care about their property, don't let me stop you! Hell, I'll come swing a hammer for you now and then.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 2406
Posted on Thursday, September 13, 2007 - 7:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thinking about it even more than that, if you do want to move to Palmer Woods, and fix up the area directly on the other side of 8 mile from Ferndale, that would be even better, as it would probably make my property value increase. Ok I'm done now!

Lobsterpots

Post Number: 54
Posted on Thursday, September 13, 2007 - 8:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

how about this one?
http://www.mirealsource.com/cg i-bin/google-MJ03?LM_MST_mls_n oYYNT=30546409&LM_MST_prop_fmt NNNL=1

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 1620
Posted on Thursday, September 13, 2007 - 8:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I drove out to the D a couple of weeks ago with my partners sister. We did a road trip.

I thought you were the one who visited with your daughter?

Lobsterpots

Post Number: 55
Posted on Thursday, September 13, 2007 - 8:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I did, she loved it. we looked at homes. I didnt tell you that part.
Then I was so impressed, I returned! hehehe

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 2589
Posted on Thursday, September 13, 2007 - 8:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lobster- How about this house?

http://homes.realtor.com/prop/ 1079642999

Lobsterpots

Post Number: 56
Posted on Thursday, September 13, 2007 - 8:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

too much $$$. I wish.

Hudkina
Username: Hudkina

Post Number: 56
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 2:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Arden Park, Boston-Edison, Indian Village, etc. all have large historic houses for a fraction of what you'd pay in other cities, but they are basically "islands" in the city.

You might want to look in the Midtown area, particularly near Wayne State University. It is a much more diverse neighborhood and I would assume more open-minded than most other neighborhoods in Detroit.

Here's a fixer-upper in the Cass Park area:
http://detroitmidtown.com/05/m idtown.php?offset=20&type=S&li d=242

Cass Park is definitely Midtown's least desirable area right now, but I'm sure that in a decade or so that $130,000 townhouse will be worth $1.3 million.;)

You could also check out the North Corktown/Woodbridge area (particularly along Trumbull).

Here's one for less than $200,000:
http://yahoo.idx.prudentiallan dmarkproperties.com/details.as px?firstrecord=2&searchtype=2& propertytype=1&searchminprice= 0&searchmaxprice=200000&search bedrooms=-1&searchbathrooms=-1 &sort=5&sortacdc=desc&miles=5& searchgeo=Detroit%2c+MI

This one is under $126,000:
http://yahoo.idx.prudentiallan dmarkproperties.com/details.as px?firstrecord=6&searchtype=8& propertytype=1&searchminprice= 0&searchmaxprice=10000000&sear chbedrooms=-1&searchbathrooms= -1&sort=5&sortacdc=desc&miles= -1&searchgeo=48208

And if you *really* want to get your hands dirty, this one costs you $60,000:
http://yahoo.idx.prudentiallan dmarkproperties.com/details.as px?firstrecord=9&searchtype=8& propertytype=1&searchminprice= 0&searchmaxprice=10000000&sear chbedrooms=-1&searchbathrooms= -1&sort=5&sortacdc=desc&miles= -1&searchgeo=48208

Lobsterpots

Post Number: 57
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 8:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gannon:
I was thinking making trips in a uhaul trailer.
I spoke to customs the last time through and I can travel through Canada as long as I have a final destination address in the US. I have to line item each item to show when I pass through customs. No plants they dont want any plants going through the border.

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 1743
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 8:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lobsterpots--that's about how it goes with Canadian customs. A friend of mine goes Duck hunting in canada every year. They take several guns and their dogs (bird dogs) The Canadian custom officials don't care much about the rifles, but the dogs get the third degree!

Detroitduo
Username: Detroitduo

Post Number: 849
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 8:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Johnlodge: I completely disagree with you and agree with Supergay. Ferndale, while a nice little corner suburb that happens to be gay, is NOT a GAYborhood in the traditional Urban sense of such places. Yes, it is "gay oriented" and friendly and all that stuff, but it needs to develop a MUCH more urban feel before it can truely be considered a Gayborhood! (In my humble gay opinion)

However, Ferndale is the best Detroit has to offer, sadly. (BTW, I love living in the City of Detroit and can say our experiences have been VERY positive.)

Detroitbill
Username: Detroitbill

Post Number: 318
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 9:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lobster, I like the idea of some areas around midtown,, on the outer reaches more towards downtown, this area is still neglected yet in between two areas that are doing fairly well ( Midtown and Downtown). This would be a great linking neighborhood. Youd be surprised actually, its seems that even some of our own suburban residents do not know how many gay people live in Downtown presently, they seem to think they have all moved to Ferndale or Royal Oak, not true by any means. Good luck in your endeavours, done properly and reasonably, I think it would work well.

Detroitduo

Post Number: 850
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 9:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We live in Brush Park. :-)

Lobsterpots

Post Number: 58
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 9:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was talking to the bartender last nite, he just moved to the South End, Harrison ave. an up and coming area kind of still gritty, on outskirts of the south end. One Bedroom one bath 5th floor apt. NO elevator, on street parking w/ resident sticker (car must be moved away during snowstorms) take a guess how much for rent?

Lobsterpots

Post Number: 59
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 9:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

(Boston)

Detroitduo

Post Number: 852
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 10:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

$1,600?

Lobsterpots

Post Number: 60
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 10:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

$2400.00

Dhugger
Username: Dhugger

Post Number: 185
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 11:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lobsterpots: just a quick note on the reality of renovating in Detroit. At the present time there is a real rash of copper thefts in our city. So you may want to consider having some one live in your house while it is under renovation or you may find the pipes missing when you come home some weekend.

Please come and live with us in the D. We will have a forum welcome party for you when you move in!

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 10178
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 11:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow.

Lobster,

Unless you can find a sheet of sorbothane to line the floor of that trailer, I'd suggest a U-Haul truck with an actual suspension instead...dragging your car on one of those front-wheel carriers, or a full trailer if you cannot just drag the rear wheels (some cars don't allow that).

You don't want all those fragiles bouncing with a spring-only axle underneath a simple trailer...even IF you pack it perfectly, that would give Murphy room to influence both sets of border guards to make you disturb your packing artistry and screw up the margin of safety.

I wish you the best, though.

Dougw
Username: Dougw

Post Number: 1885
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 11:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

At the present time there is a real rash of copper thefts in our city. So you may want to consider having some one live in your house while it is under renovation or you may find the pipes missing when you come home some weekend.

Dhugger is correct. One other option I'd recommend if you'll be away from the house for long periods is a house alarm. Many mansions you'll look at probably already have alarm systems anyway, so it's not a big deal. For $30/month it can be monitored by a security company... a smallish price to pay, but I can tell you that in my neighborhood, there have been virtually no successful B&E thefts in alarmed homes. Problem solved. (Although it certainly doesn't hurt to have someone living there too, especially if you can get a bit of rent from that. :-) )

6nois
Username: 6nois

Post Number: 498
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 11:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Overall there are not that many problems for gays in the city, no more than anyone else has. I have always been treated very well no matter where I have gone, I feel more at home in the city than many of the suburbs, :cough: Novi. Right now I live in the University District at 6 and Livernois, I do plan on moving closer to Downtown, for the more urban feel. Detroit is nice in the sense that gays are fairly evenly spread through out the region. Ferndale is a gay friendly community not a gayborhood. Its very important to note that, it lacks the urban fabric, as well as the feel of traditional gayborhoods such as the Castro, Boystown, etc. So my advice is find a home you like in a neighborhood you dig and go for it.

Ferntruth
Username: Ferntruth

Post Number: 152
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 1:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lobsterpots, as you can see from the posts the one thing we have here is an abundance of opinions! =) So, here's mine:

I agree with JohnLodge about Ferndale. My partner and I have been there for 13 years now, and would not want to live anywhere else in the area. Yes, Ferndale is not SF or Boystown but it is the closest thing to it that you will find in the Detroit area. The reality is that even if you move into the city, you will still have to come to the suburbs in order to shop for quality food, clothing, etc.

Lobsterpots

Post Number: 61
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 1:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, there taking copper out of the foreclosures out here, there also stealing catalytic converters out of SUV's parked in mall parking lots. Thats gotta be scary to start your SUV and it sounds like a tractor. Or worse yet, get home and use your toilet only to discover afterwards that the plumbing has gone missing.

Sknutson
Username: Sknutson

Post Number: 934
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 2:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In what major city other than Detroit would so many helpful online strangers be so encouraging to a potential new resident?

BTW, I have also always had a particular attraction to Arden Park. I like the small three block long scale.

Given the unbelievable values in Detroit, I would be hard pressed to decide where to buy my mansion if I moved back from the SF area.

Gannon

Post Number: 10186
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 2:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If?

You know you wanna be back here, S!

Sknutson
Username: Sknutson

Post Number: 935
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 2:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gannon: Yes I do.

Gannon

Post Number: 10190
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 3:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL, I just knew you had that Spirit, heh.

When are you coming back to town for a visit?!

Artistic
Username: Artistic

Post Number: 55
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 3:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Lobsterpots, I have enjoyed this thread. I'm a HUGE Detroit lover and I do not live there. I have for years went through the reasons of why I should and why I should not live there. So...I did what others have done, I lived in the suburbs...yikes...for me and my partner anyway it does not work, sold it. Moved to Saugatuck....lets just say this place is amazing....sold it....then to Florida....just sold it (thank God for that with this horrible real estate market)now back in Saugatuck....loving it. The reason for moving around is the desire for change and know I want Detroit -again. I've been through all the place's, Palmer Woods, Indian Village, Arden Park, Ferry Sub, Corktown...and of course Brush Park, which my company - Brush Park Studio - is named after. So for what it's worth I'm on your page and have been in many places in the last 2 months, even 1001 Woodward which is a hi - rise in downtown. There are gay people out there that do want the urban lifestyle in Detroit, we may have to look beyond the suburbs however to find them.