Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Massacre on the Northeast side « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Warriorfan
Username: Warriorfan

Post Number: 810
Posted on Tuesday, September 18, 2007 - 7:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Four people found shot to death in a house on Detroit's Northeast side, a fifth victim is in critical condition.

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20070918/U PDATE/709180411

Quozl
Username: Quozl

Post Number: 1461
Posted on Tuesday, September 18, 2007 - 7:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I guess Bully-Cummings and her new "neighborhood watch" program is not working as anticipated. Poor useless Police Chief Ella, back to the drawing board...

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 585
Posted on Tuesday, September 18, 2007 - 8:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

10 murders in detroit since saturday. Fucking ridiculous and unacceptable

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 4944
Posted on Tuesday, September 18, 2007 - 8:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This shit cant be random. I assume most of it stems from drugs or drug deals gone bad.

Vetalalumni
Username: Vetalalumni

Post Number: 742
Posted on Tuesday, September 18, 2007 - 8:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Has there been a (recent) mass release of "bad guys" to relieve overcrowding in the jails/prisons?

Monahan568
Username: Monahan568

Post Number: 222
Posted on Tuesday, September 18, 2007 - 8:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

anyone know the murder count for detroit for 07'

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 166
Posted on Tuesday, September 18, 2007 - 9:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Boy, great neighborhood response on the gun noise here

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 878
Posted on Tuesday, September 18, 2007 - 9:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

10? Thats nothing! Here are 25 at one time. And the up-shot: they were all bad guys.
http://www.torontosun.com/News /World/2007/08/24/4442927-sun. html

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 1329
Posted on Tuesday, September 18, 2007 - 9:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe there is something, going on here, that we don't know about. I'm sure there is all kinds of gang shit going on, all the time, that I don't know a damned thing about.
Whatever may be the case, I'm thinking that selling dope out of a house is, currently, even more dangerous than usual.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 6539
Posted on Tuesday, September 18, 2007 - 10:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Relax folks. It's just another Detroit violent crime. BROTHERS KILLING BROTHERS.

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 416
Posted on Tuesday, September 18, 2007 - 10:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Guess the love from downtown hasn't spread to the 'hoods.

Fareastsider
Username: Fareastsider

Post Number: 594
Posted on Tuesday, September 18, 2007 - 10:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Runyon Ave was a big street drugs for kids from my suburban high school in the late nineties. That is a rough street I have done some work on there before and was offered drugs without even looking for them.
My gripe with rap is that is glorifies the ghetto such as Eminem and D12 who make references to that street as some of them are from there. To bad what they are glorifying is a tradgedy and all of these kids think its cool. To bad the reality is nothing cool.

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 419
Posted on Wednesday, September 19, 2007 - 8:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stupidity seems to reign supreme.

Ferntruth
Username: Ferntruth

Post Number: 160
Posted on Wednesday, September 19, 2007 - 8:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Shootings in the D - imagine.

Iluvthad
Username: Iluvthad

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, September 19, 2007 - 9:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

287 murders so far, 13 under this time last year's count.

Bearinabox
Username: Bearinabox

Post Number: 269
Posted on Wednesday, September 19, 2007 - 9:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

...and was offered drugs without even looking for them.

And you found this surprising? Hell, that happens to me every time I walk down Cass. Maybe I just look like a stoner.

Clermont
Username: Clermont

Posted on Friday, September 21, 2007 - 1:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i grew up on teppert, one street over from runyon. did not know the street had become notorious for drugs and mythologized by local rappers. but it seems that if the shooting was on the 19000 block it would be below 7 mile, not near state fair.

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 882
Posted on Sunday, September 23, 2007 - 5:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here are some photos of the crime scene:
http://i148.photobucket.com/al bums/s22/bulletmagnet69/101_55 63.jpg?t=1190581044
http://i148.photobucket.com/al bums/s22/bulletmagnet69/101_55 60.jpg?t=1190581084
Even an iron gate and the serenity prayer didn't help them:
http://i148.photobucket.com/al bums/s22/bulletmagnet69/101_55 62.jpg?t=1190581222
My pal D'wan lost his best friend about a year ago, just around the corner from here .
http://i148.photobucket.com/al bums/s22/bulletmagnet69/101_55 68.jpg?t=1190581731
http://i148.photobucket.com/al bums/s22/bulletmagnet69/101_55 65.jpg?t=1190581767
This ghettohood is the real deal, hard core. To some, life means little. From what I understand the loveputtin got little to go on.

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 2196
Posted on Sunday, September 23, 2007 - 6:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"287 murders so far, 13 under this time last year's count."

that's shitty...I thought the body count had improved...

basically, nothing has changed since last year...but I supposed there was no reason the think that it would...

fucking disgusting animals...

Kathinozarks
Username: Kathinozarks

Post Number: 887
Posted on Sunday, September 23, 2007 - 8:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What makes a human cross the line between anger and murder?

Are we all one hair away from the ability to kill someone else?

I would never even consider it, it's beyond my comprehension, and yet so many people find it almost easy to kill another human. Maybe we should put some research money into trying to figure out what makes a person able to kill another person. Seems like a disease to me.

Ghetto_butterfly
Username: Ghetto_butterfly

Post Number: 746
Posted on Sunday, September 23, 2007 - 9:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kathi, you're really surprised? I'm not, with the American gun-worshipping attitude it's bound to happen this way.

Kathinozarks
Username: Kathinozarks

Post Number: 888
Posted on Sunday, September 23, 2007 - 9:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gb, I'm not surprised as much as wondering why some folks are more predisposed to killing than others.

I mean, I know a girl who did lots of speed drugs in her twenties and she never wanted to kill anyone. Although, she was tied up and almost killed by another speed freak during that time. She undid the knot and ran out of the house while he was in another room looking for money owed him.
So, what makes her different from him? It seems like something that could be looked into.

Redwingz
Username: Redwingz

Posted on Tuesday, September 25, 2007 - 12:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Clermont,

I grew up on Runyon just north of Greiner in the 50's/60's. Runyon starts at 6 Mile and the addresses begin in the 17000's, switches to the 18000's north or Greiner (which is really 6 1/2 Mile Road), then to the 19000's north of 7 Mile. The article I read didn't give the actual address, but since it was in the 19000's, it was likely between 7 mile and State Fair. The picture printed in the Fee Press showed a house with white siding. Homes in the block of Runyon just south of 7 Mile were all brick from my recollection.

There were 4 city blocks approximately every 1/2 mile, so for each block the address increased by 250. Runyon ends at State Fair at what used to be, if I remember correctly, an old Fischer Body plant. I can't tell you what it is now, but the body plant is long gone.

I really feel for the city. It was a wonderful place to live at one time. Now, however, the reality of mans cruelty to fellow human beings rears its ugly head. Thankfully I have many pleasant memories of growing up on Runyon. I'm proud to say I was born and raised in Detroit.

Lombaowski
Username: Lombaowski

Post Number: 55
Posted on Tuesday, September 25, 2007 - 5:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Welcome Red Wingz. It's kind of depressing to hear of these things happening in your old neighborhood but I too try to remember Detroit for the way it was and still see the beauty in it. The blight, the general condition of things, and the poverty are things I can accept. The violence isn't and it really pisses me off when I think about Detroit once being a safe place to raise a family.

Terridarlin
Username: Terridarlin

Post Number: 28
Posted on Tuesday, September 25, 2007 - 6:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great pictures Bulletmagnet. The last photo was especially poignant, was he aware you were taking his picture?

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 2736
Posted on Tuesday, September 25, 2007 - 2:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some people are more predisposed to killing others because they have no value for human life. Because their own life is virtually worthless, and they probably have few to care about or who care about them to put it into perspective for them. When I hear about stories like the 23 year old engaged girl in Hamtrack getting shot in the back of her head so someone could take her truck, I immediately think about the ones I love, and the possibility of that horror happening. If you don't have that to think about, and you have no respect for life, it is possible for you to be a worthless enough piece of shit to think you somehow have the right to take the life of someone else.

Jazzstage
Username: Jazzstage

Post Number: 120
Posted on Tuesday, September 25, 2007 - 6:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I heard a snippet about someone getting killed near Billeo's lounge. I can't find any info. That was one of the Trick or Treat spots as a kid. So sad.

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 9842
Posted on Tuesday, September 25, 2007 - 10:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So where is the outrage in the community? Where are the marches to take back the neighbourhoods.
The silence is deafening!
I saw more outrage about Mike Vick than I do about this crap. What a pathetic society we live in.

Clermont

Post Number: 3
Posted on Wednesday, September 26, 2007 - 1:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

redwingz,

yes, i stand corrected. the shooting must have occurred north of 7 mile. my family's house was on teppert just north of greiner and i grew up in that neighborhood in the 60's and 70's as well. it was really a great neighborhood to be a kid in at that time.

Southwestmap
Username: Southwestmap

Post Number: 914
Posted on Wednesday, September 26, 2007 - 2:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"So where is the outrage in the community? Where are the marches to take back the neighborhoods."

The marchers went down to Jena - that a kid with an assault record is still in jail is more important to many Detroiters than expressing similar outrage toward what happens at home.

Dissolvedgirl3
Username: Dissolvedgirl3

Post Number: 5
Posted on Wednesday, September 26, 2007 - 4:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I completely agree SWM. I think the biggest problem with Detroit is its lack of municipal organization and resources, and the citizens' acceptance of crime, violent and non-violent. People are complacent. No one cares when they should, because it's much easier to say, "Oh well, that's Detroit. What else do you expect?" than to actually DO something about it. The poverty and blight in Detroit DOES affect the crime rates, so really we shouldn't be accepting of any of it.

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 1338
Posted on Wednesday, September 26, 2007 - 5:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wanted to take a picture of this, but always forget. There is a flyer on Stony Island on the South Side of Chicago that reads something like "Reward: Who killed Killah-K??"

I don't trivialize murder, but the irony was striking.

Redwingz

Post Number: 2
Posted on Thursday, September 27, 2007 - 1:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Clermont,

I'm guessing you and I are bout 10 years appart in age. My address was 18054 Runyon and I had friends on Teppert. We use to play baseball at the "park" on Parkgrove, bordered by Runyon and Teppert. Do you remember "park managers" and the "green box" at the park? You'd check out the stakes and horseshoes and have a game.

When I take my kids through the area where I grew up the say "Dad, let's get out of here". I was in Michigan last June for a memorial for my parents who passed away last December. I asked my younger brother to drive through the old neighborhood and he looked at me like I was crazy. He said he doesn't go into the city unless he absolutely has to. What a shame. Where is the outrage that the people are expressing for Jena? I LOVED MY CITY! WHAT HAS HAPPENED TO IT?

Redwingz

Post Number: 3
Posted on Thursday, September 27, 2007 - 1:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Clermont,

We used to walk to Lipke to enjoy their pool. When I got older, Heilman was the pool to go to. Deeper (at least 10 feet), and the "high board". Lipke was only 5 feet deep if I remember correctly.

We used to get a Double Cola at K-Trio Market at 7 Mile between Beland and Algonac. 11 cents and the chance to win a free pop if there was a "Double Cola" beneath the cork on the bottle top. I had a Detroit News Paper route that spanned Beland, Algonac, and Gruebener, between Parkgrove and Greiner.

Detroit was a wonderful place to grow up back then. Now, I don't think I'd want to live there. Good people still struggle to survive there, but the scum that surrounds them sucks the life out of them.

I hope someday the City will recover. I will ALWAYS BE A DETROITER! To hell with the people who have an unsafe place to live.

Redwingz

Post Number: 4
Posted on Thursday, September 27, 2007 - 1:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I men no harm to the people who live there. I want to see the city survive!

Redwingz

Posted on Thursday, September 27, 2007 - 1:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whoa, that didn't come out right. I meant to hell with the people who ruined a once beautiful city.

Warriorfan
Username: Warriorfan

Post Number: 817
Posted on Thursday, September 27, 2007 - 7:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Kathi, you're really surprised? I'm not, with the American gun-worshipping attitude it's bound to happen this way.

People worship guns out in the sticks as well, but there aren't murders on a daily basis. I think it has less to do with guns and more to do with DRUGS and a culture of silence (stop snitchin').

Clermont

Post Number: 4
Posted on Thursday, September 27, 2007 - 12:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

redwingz, I remember all the places you mentioned, such as k-trio's and the greenbox at "the park." i used to love running around the alleys on the streets on the south side of greiner. the people i remember from your block were the hepps (rick was our paper boy), the einowskis and the kosters. and just across greiner, the halatsis family.

Redwingz

Post Number: 6
Posted on Thursday, September 27, 2007 - 11:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Clermont,

Then you know me or someone in my family. I had a paper route at the same time Rick and Barry did. We were in the same paper station on 7 and Bradford. I lived one house south and across the street from the Hepps.

My parents moved from Runyon to Anchorville in about '86. They both passed away last December. Dad's kidneys and liver failed from a prolonged illness. My mother had a massive stroke. They both died on the same day in the same hospital 17 hours apart. Even the hospital staff had never heard of a couple going together like that, except for car accidents.

I'm curious to know who you are. If you care to let me know I'm at: redwingz@sbcglobal.net

I've been doing a lot of reminiscing about growing up in Detroit. The last time I drove through the old neighborhood with my kids, they said "Dad, let's get out of here". I'd always shake my head and think about how great it used to be. After the killings, maybe my kids were right.

I'm in San Jose now, been here since late '84, but I read the Detroit News online nearly every day. That's how I knew about the Runyon killings. And obviously I'm still a Red Wings fan.

Redwingz

Post Number: 7
Posted on Friday, September 28, 2007 - 10:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Clermont,

In case you're wondering who I am, I'm one of the Einowski's. John, to be precise.

Clermont

Posted on Friday, September 28, 2007 - 1:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

redwingz/john, very sorry to hear about your folks passing away. yes, i went to grade school w/ your brother chris. my parents moved from that neighborhood in the mid-90's. both my brother and sister continue to live on the east side of detroit but i've been in nyc/ brooklyn since the 1989. but pretty much every time i am visiting my family i drive thru that neighborhood. i guess everyone loves their hometown but i still think detroit is a special place

Clermont

Post Number: 6
Posted on Friday, September 28, 2007 - 2:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

redwingz, i also have a memory of playing hockey in your backyard rink and getting a stick in the face. not seriously injured but it was great the way some people used to make their own backyard ice rinks.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.