Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » My favorite store in Detroit « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Pythonmaster
Username: Pythonmaster

Post Number: 97
Posted on Thursday, September 20, 2007 - 9:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://i195.photobucket.com/al bums/z214/justbeamensch/Hirtco py1.jpg

Kid_dynamite
Username: Kid_dynamite

Post Number: 225
Posted on Thursday, September 20, 2007 - 10:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

freakin' great cheese in that place.

Kathinozarks
Username: Kathinozarks

Post Number: 867
Posted on Thursday, September 20, 2007 - 10:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What a beautiful storefront! That pic made me very happy, so thanks for the post.

Where is it? I am in love with the people who run it. What a great looking place.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 10181
Posted on Thursday, September 20, 2007 - 10:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is in Eastern market

Detroitduo
Username: Detroitduo

Post Number: 865
Posted on Thursday, September 20, 2007 - 10:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

R. Hirt JR Co. is the BEST gourmet everything store around. I spend plenty of my extra cash there.....

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 10260
Posted on Thursday, September 20, 2007 - 10:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Funny, I just walked home from buying some coffee there...after a late breakfast at Zeff's.

They sell this Fair Trade Organic called Higher Grounds...I like their Water Carrier's Blend for espresso.

It is a Michigan company, too...way up in Leelanau...and it is less expensive than Starbucks at $9.75 a pound!

Hirts is a Detroit treasure...if only they would recognize the shifting demographic and start to stay open later than 4 o'clock at least ONE day of the week!

Detroitbill
Username: Detroitbill

Post Number: 327
Posted on Thursday, September 20, 2007 - 3:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hirts is a great place to shop, many many different products (over 300 cheeses, crackers, delicacies, pate, etc..) to choose from and no other place like it. This is an example of the stores we have in our area,, you know the place (Lafayette Park) where some people keep telling us on here we have no place to buy anything decent.<g>

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 2620
Posted on Thursday, September 20, 2007 - 4:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"<g>"

You BBSer!

Thank you for using T.A.G.! Goodbye...

NO CARRIER

Django
Username: Django

Post Number: 129
Posted on Thursday, September 20, 2007 - 7:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cheap Charlies, I can buy my Dickies, some used work cloths with the nametag "Sanchez" on it, all the classy dinnerware I could ever need, and a piggy bank in the shape of a woman on her knees and her head on the pillow with the coinslot being her coochie pop. I love that place. Theyve got the original piggy banks too with no hole in the bottom, you have to break the thing open to get the $$.

Lmr
Username: Lmr

Post Number: 101
Posted on Friday, September 21, 2007 - 12:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hirt's, WOW! I am SO glad to see that they are still there! I used to stop in there on the weekends back in the 1970's and up to 1983. That will be a must stop on my next trip back to Detroit!

Dave
Username: Dave

Post Number: 169
Posted on Friday, September 21, 2007 - 9:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have to go with Hirt's as my favorite too. But I do have a special place in my heart for Henry the Hatter. I think they have been in the Broadway location for 113 years. I make an annual pilgrimage to buy a fedora like my grandpa wore and imagine he was buying them in the same store eighty years ago.
dave

Oldestuff
Username: Oldestuff

Post Number: 46
Posted on Friday, September 21, 2007 - 11:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

my absolute favorite store. Food, baskets, imports
great staff, helpful, informed and friendly

Pythonmaster

Post Number: 98
Posted on Friday, September 21, 2007 - 1:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hirt's is a candy store for adults.

Bob
Username: Bob

Post Number: 1566
Posted on Friday, September 21, 2007 - 1:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That Higher Grounds coffee that Gannon talks about is awesome. There was an article on them in the Free Press about a year ago. Tried their coffee after that and have been buying via their website every since.

Jazzstage
Username: Jazzstage

Post Number: 114
Posted on Friday, September 21, 2007 - 1:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My father fought the fire that took down the other half of that store. I will have to ask him when that was but I am sure many of you know already.

Oldestuff
Username: Oldestuff

Post Number: 47
Posted on Friday, September 21, 2007 - 4:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

it was a bar/restaurant

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 10215
Posted on Friday, September 21, 2007 - 4:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know I'll take some flak but I prefer Rocky Peanut Company over Hirt.

Rrl
Username: Rrl

Post Number: 898
Posted on Friday, September 21, 2007 - 7:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm a little bummed at Hirt's 'cuz they don't carry Bruderbasel cheese anymore.

Norwalk
Username: Norwalk

Post Number: 124
Posted on Sunday, September 23, 2007 - 6:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My favorite store in Detroit is Showtime

Downtownguy
Username: Downtownguy

Post Number: 61
Posted on Sunday, September 23, 2007 - 7:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^Rocky's isn't the same since Rocky retired. The daughter seems to want to run it into the ground. I pointed out to her a while back that one of the items she carries was significantly more expensive than it was at Harbortown. She got all indignant and huffed that she didn't know what Harbortown was. "I live in Rochester Hills," she sniffed. Good to know your competition!

(Message edited by downtownguy on September 23, 2007)

Ghetto_butterfly
Username: Ghetto_butterfly

Post Number: 743
Posted on Sunday, September 23, 2007 - 7:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I also like it how they still hand write the receipts listing everything you bought and add it up old-fashioned way on a calculator. But then, instead of paying with old-fashioned cash, you can still pay with your card. This store has been on my favorite list for years. I agree with Jt1 though, Rocky Peanut is right up there too. Once I was in that store, looking for something specific, and a clerk offered to challenge her, saying "if it exists, I will find it, buy it and offer it here for sale".

Dialh4hipster
Username: Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 2194
Posted on Sunday, September 23, 2007 - 7:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My favorite store in Detroit is Mezzanine! They still write up your receipt by hand too!

Toybreaker
Username: Toybreaker

Post Number: 56
Posted on Wednesday, September 26, 2007 - 1:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hirt's is absolutely amazing though I prefer Rafal Spice for coffee - Rafal has been a little low on their bulk coffees and teas lately, I can't wait for them to stock back up.

http://www.cranbrookart.edu/si te/images/life/detroit09.jpg

http://www.cranbrookart.edu/si te/images/life/shop1.jpg

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 5411
Posted on Wednesday, September 26, 2007 - 1:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There used to be a building to the left of Hirt's was known as Fronterra Bros. It also had nice Victorian brickwork, but not quite as fancy as Hirt's.

Sadly Fornterra Bros. burned down about 15 or so years ago. I wish they would have saved the arched brick facade and rebuilt, but alas they never did.

Hirt's has the best cheeses and breads around!

Gannon

Post Number: 10391
Posted on Wednesday, September 26, 2007 - 7:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Toybreaker,

I only discovered that Hirts HAD coffee after Rafal had their difficulties with that Scrapper-stolen powerline, and their supplier-interruptions in the coffee/tea department.

Seems their tea distributor went out of business...the coffee mess started happening after that one gent who worked there passed away. I don't know if he was responsible for it, or if the person who WAS simply dropped the ball wrestling with grief...or if it was purely co-incidental.

I still buy from them first, but if they are out...it is Higher Grounds at Hirts.

Lately, I've been stocking a few flavors...Free Trade Espresso and Jamaican Blue Mountain from Rafal, and that Higher Grounds WaterBearer Blend from Hirts. That Jamaican bean is like coffee crack!

Espresso time is always a special event in my loft...it is almost time NOW!

A little sweetener from the blue-collar working bees of Metro Detroit, courtesy the Green Toe Gardens...and we've got our synapses firing again!

Oliverdouglas
Username: Oliverdouglas

Post Number: 130
Posted on Wednesday, September 26, 2007 - 10:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dailh: is your expansion finished?

Rb336
Username: Rb336

Post Number: 2552
Posted on Wednesday, September 26, 2007 - 10:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just am not impressed with the freshness of coffee at either hirts, rafal or rocky. I would like to find a place in the D as good as empire coffee in nyc. that is why i started roasting my own

Revolutionary
Username: Revolutionary

Post Number: 136
Posted on Wednesday, September 26, 2007 - 11:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

FYI: Rafal carries Great Lakes Coffee Roasting Company's coffee: http://www.greatlakescoffee.co m/

They were again closed this past Saturday. The week before the coffee choices were slim, especially the Fair Trade varieties.

I understand Hirt also carries the same brand of coffee, but perhaps that's changed.

Swingline
Username: Swingline

Post Number: 906
Posted on Wednesday, September 26, 2007 - 11:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why is Rafal's not open on some Saturdays? (This may have been mentioned elsewhere but I missed it.)

Neilr
Username: Neilr

Post Number: 582
Posted on Wednesday, September 26, 2007 - 11:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Rafal family observes the Jewish holydays.

Tarkus
Username: Tarkus

Post Number: 384
Posted on Wednesday, September 26, 2007 - 11:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Went to Hirts, a long time favorite, for some cheese and other things. I had purchased a case of canned vegetable their a while back. They didn't have any on the shelf and I asked will they be getting some more in. The clerk on the floor replied "oh your the one who took that off of our hands. We won't be getting that again." I asked could I special order a case and prepay for it so they wouldn't get stuck with it and was told "no way no how."
I went over to Rafaels and asked the same thing and was told" yes sir should be a few weeks, no need to prepay we will give you a call when it comes in if we can get it."
Bye Bye Hirts

Gannon

Post Number: 10399
Posted on Wednesday, September 26, 2007 - 11:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rb,

Could you tag me at jjgannon (at) earthlink (dot) net? I've got a few questions about roasting coffee beans and sourcing raw ones.

I've only had fresh-roasted coffee ONCE...in Los Angeles at an Oriental fellow's home...I was too overwhelmed by his wall-full of bean buckets labelled with choices from around the world to fully enjoy the cup he made! I think I was in shock.

They say each hour from the roaster to your tongue is another huge drop in tastebud acrobatics...but I've never tried to prove it, since it would mean a huge change in my morning behavior...and I have trouble enough keeping to THIS current two-hour escape-from-dreamland protocol!

Toybreaker
Username: Toybreaker

Post Number: 57
Posted on Wednesday, September 26, 2007 - 12:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gannon - Thanks for the scoop on the coffee (no pun intended) heh....my interns are so sad about me not serving up my usual "crack coffee" and their productivity is going down as a result. Damnit. ;)

I still mourn cafe Detroit. That was the real deal too.

Gannon

Post Number: 10405
Posted on Wednesday, September 26, 2007 - 1:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Toybreaker,

We're still working on Cafe de Troit's (a pun on Cafe of the Straights, something Itsjeff used to joke about) replacement...a few years late, but we'll have to blame the FDA for the delay. (long story)

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 5412
Posted on Wednesday, September 26, 2007 - 5:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rb336, for some reason European coffee roasting seems to be superior to that of the USA. That's why I buy JACOB'S Coffee, the most popular variety in Germany.

You can find it at places such as Nino Salvaggio's and Whole Foods. Hirt's may even have it, but I'm not sure. It comes in a green and white foil lined vacuum packed package. Ever since I've tried it, I don't bother with coffee beans again (although a great Kona or Jamaican Blue Mountain is always worth a try).

Gannon

Post Number: 10422
Posted on Wednesday, September 26, 2007 - 5:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

M-m-m-mm--n-n-n, Kona.

Forgot Kona.

Rafal would usually have that, too. Good stuff.

Downtownguy
Username: Downtownguy

Post Number: 67
Posted on Wednesday, September 26, 2007 - 6:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gannon and other coffee freaks: Do yourself a favor and buy a home roaster for $150 or so. You'll never look back. Google "home coffee roasters" for suppliers of beans and roasters.

Pgn421
Username: Pgn421

Post Number: 144
Posted on Wednesday, September 26, 2007 - 8:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

gannon- have you ever had coffee brewed from a french press?

Gannon

Post Number: 10425
Posted on Wednesday, September 26, 2007 - 8:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh yeah, that was one of my regular alternates, especially when travelling and camping...but I recently broke mine. UGH.

Pgn421
Username: Pgn421

Post Number: 146
Posted on Wednesday, September 26, 2007 - 8:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i like mine, just dont use it enough

Bearinabox
Username: Bearinabox

Post Number: 276
Posted on Wednesday, September 26, 2007 - 10:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't understand the appeal of french presses. I've used them, and ended up with no perceptible improvement in flavor and a nasty layer of sediment on the bottom of the cup. My porcelain Melitta cone caffeinates me quite nicely, and I don't feel like I'm drinking out of a swamp. Maybe you just have to be an ultra-connoisseur to appreciate these things.

(What were we talking about again?)

Pythonmaster

Post Number: 102
Posted on Friday, September 28, 2007 - 11:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

God knows there are many great places in our town to get great beans, but I had some of this on a trip to Chicago and it made my socks go up and down.

http://www.intelligentsiacoffe e.com/roasting

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.