Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Sydney Bogg « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Tiberius
Username: Tiberius

Post Number: 40
Posted on Thursday, September 20, 2007 - 10:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did Sydney Bogg fold or locate to the burbs? They used to have the best chocolate around, the store was located on Woodward south of 7 mile.

65memories
Username: 65memories

Post Number: 468
Posted on Thursday, September 20, 2007 - 11:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://goliath.ecnext.com/coms 2/gi_0199-3820026/Sydney-Bogg- files-for-Chapter.html

Frumoasa
Username: Frumoasa

Post Number: 65
Posted on Thursday, September 20, 2007 - 11:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

*drool* Former employees of Sydney Bogg operate a candy shop on 12 mile in downtown Berkley called "Sweet Expressions." Their hand dipped nuts are of the same quality as Sydney Bogg. As for the family and name, the business is formally out of business, but an investor bought the rights to the name and the building on Woodward is currently owned by another investor that is just holding it. Quite a shame...my dad went there until the last days, literally.

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 2393
Posted on Thursday, September 20, 2007 - 11:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The building on Woodward is still in decent shape, relatively speaking.

Gdub
Username: Gdub

Post Number: 1143
Posted on Thursday, September 20, 2007 - 1:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They had a shop open at Lahser & Maple that closed a few years back. They always seemed to do good business there.

Gingellgirl
Username: Gingellgirl

Post Number: 56
Posted on Thursday, September 20, 2007 - 1:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I once met a wonderful lady in the elevator of Oxford Towers, Berkley's senior high rise. She introduced herself by saying, "Do you know who I am? I'm Mrs. Sydney Bogg." And damn if she didn't have a box of chocolates on her. From then on, I'd always greet her with "I know who you are!"

Fishtoes2000
Username: Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 289
Posted on Thursday, September 20, 2007 - 3:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That was my favorite cycling destination. Truly underrated. Before they closed, they had told me they were the longest continuously operating business on Woodward.

Frumoasa

Post Number: 66
Posted on Thursday, September 20, 2007 - 4:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gdub: The reason for closing the 15 & Lahser store according to the Detroit employees was that their business was too cyclical to afford the high strip mall rent year round. Their business boomed around holidays, but they just didn't have enough turnover during the down season. They also had another store at 15 and Orchard Lake that stayed open a bit longer than the Bloomfield branch, but its fate was the same. I am surprised that a local grocer like Nino Salvaggio or Hollywood Mkt. did not pick up the line and then just use their Woodward store as a factory/distribution center. According to an employee, one of the last straws at the end of the Detroit branch was that someone broke in and stole their 100+ y.o. copper kettles. What a crime!

Gary
Username: Gary

Post Number: 259
Posted on Thursday, September 20, 2007 - 6:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I used to visit the Woodward location at least once a week for my chocolate fix when I lived in Palmer Park. Their chocolate covered toffee with chopped pecans on top was the closest I've come to the perfect candy so far. The Rocky Peanut Co. has some stuff that makes me drool too, but Boggs was the best in my book.

Thanks, Frumoasa...I didn't know about the Berkley location until now, but I'm definitely going to check them out this weekend.

Jrvass
Username: Jrvass

Post Number: 221
Posted on Thursday, September 20, 2007 - 7:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I used to ride my bicycle to the 15 & Lahser store to buy rock candy in the early '70s.

Tigersfan9
Username: Tigersfan9

Post Number: 117
Posted on Thursday, September 20, 2007 - 8:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Walk into Sweet Expressions in Berkley, and the aroma will take you back to Boggs...

Jacaden
Username: Jacaden

Post Number: 39
Posted on Thursday, September 20, 2007 - 11:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

FYI, It is "Sweet Essentials" not "Sweet Expressions."

Yum.

Jenniferl
Username: Jenniferl

Post Number: 399
Posted on Friday, September 21, 2007 - 1:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the info about Sweet Expressions. I was having chocolate cravings the other day and it made me think of Boggs. I can't wait to smell the new store!

Frumoasa

Post Number: 68
Posted on Friday, September 21, 2007 - 1:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jacaden: You are right on the name...I only go in there to buy my dad's Christmas and Father's Day gifts..the name slipped my mind.

Ednaturnblad
Username: Ednaturnblad

Post Number: 19
Posted on Friday, September 21, 2007 - 4:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you're on the west side, let me suggest a couple of independent confectioners of good quality - both being in business for many years. On Ford Rd, just east of Outer Drive is Truan's Chocolates - they may also still have a store on Tireman...good stuff! On Michigan Avenue, just west of Inkster Rd. is Corden's Candy Caurosel...their Easter season chocolates are wonderful and the shop is wonderfully retro. Other than Alinosi's, are there any other such confectioners on the east side?

Jackie5275
Username: Jackie5275

Post Number: 9
Posted on Thursday, September 27, 2007 - 4:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Edna,
On the eastside there is a place called Stryka's that makes candy at their shop It's located in Eastpointe on the west side of Kelly just north of 8 Mile. At Christmas & Easter they make rum cherry cordials that are to die for.

Druckfehlerteufel
Username: Druckfehlerteufel

Post Number: 2
Posted on Saturday, September 29, 2007 - 7:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just wanted to thank everyone for the information about Sweet Essentials. My father-in-law is having a health scare, and we wanted to get him a gift. When I was getting involved with my husband, I brought a box of Sidney Bogg turtles to his parents' house when I first met them. My f-i-l loved them, and was unhappy when the store closed. I went to the Sweet Essentials today and the turtles are still great, so now he gets a nice surprise!

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 2000
Posted on Saturday, September 29, 2007 - 7:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chocolate is one of the primary food groups, y'know.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.