Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Jeff Montgomery stepping down from Triangle Foundation top spot « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 1336
Posted on Thursday, September 20, 2007 - 3:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Triangle Foundation director to step down

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/a pps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/2007 0920/REG/70920004/1026/FREE

This organization has always impressed me as a well-run entity that is ahead of the curve on so many issues in Metro Detroit. Hopefully, it will be able to keep that momentum going with new leadership.

6nois
Username: 6nois

Post Number: 505
Posted on Thursday, September 20, 2007 - 10:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wish Jeff the best of luck moving on and I hope they find someone just as great to fill his shoes.

Supergay
Username: Supergay

Post Number: 89
Posted on Friday, September 21, 2007 - 1:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jeff Montgomery is a true Detroit gay hero. He founded the Triangle Foundation from the ashes of personal tragedy and is one of the longest-serving gay leaders in the county. He continues to fight for the rights of ALL gay, lesbian, bi, and transgendered persons, no matter how unpopular their cause may be.

Affirmations in the suburbs may be a nice little gay republican oasis and provide services that are entirely helpful but are entirely in the mainstream safe zone. Triangle Foundation fights for every gay person's rights. They are the ones who fight the anti-gay harassment of a lesbian couple from downriver. Or the married Grosse Pointe businessman caught having sex with another guy in a minivan along the riverfront (who, incidentally, called for help then but doesn't support the organization at all now that those troubles are past).

Jeff has occupied an unpopular spot for an inordinantly long amount of time, and I hope this transition lets him have a personal life free of scrutiny and a much-deserved chance to explore new avenues for his passions.

I'm a fan. I wish him the best.

(Message edited by supergay on September 21, 2007)

Detroitrulez
Username: Detroitrulez

Post Number: 420
Posted on Friday, September 21, 2007 - 3:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whatever happened with that whole Schoenith-in-the-van-affair??? Don't recall hearing much about the denouement.

Dds
Username: Dds

Post Number: 345
Posted on Friday, September 21, 2007 - 3:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well said, SG. In my opinion, Jeff does more in a week for this city than many of us can dream of doing in years, and I admire him a lot.

(Message edited by dds on September 21, 2007)

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 10208
Posted on Friday, September 21, 2007 - 3:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

He founded the Triangle Foundation from the ashes of personal tragedy

SG - What happended assuming that it is a story that isn't too personal for Jeff to be on a forum.

Supergay

Post Number: 90
Posted on Friday, September 21, 2007 - 6:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DETROIT NEWS, May 1, 1998
Hate crime led to man's lifetime crusade
By Deb Price / The Detroit News

On a night in late November 1984, a bright, funny 30-year-old Detroit man tried to drive away from someone who was hassling him outside a gay bar.

Instead, he was shot, point-blank, through the closed driver's-side window of his car. He died immediately.

The dead man's name was Michael, and Jeffrey Montgomery loved him. They'd been dating, getting serious. Michael's murder devastated Montgomery. But news he received soon after Michael's funeral proved even more shocking: The
Detroit police had dismissed the homicide as "just another gay killing," he recalls a friend in the prosecutor's office had told him. There would be no investigation.

Montgomery, who'd grown up in the posh suburb of Grosse Pointe, was then the public relations dynamo behind restoration of Detroit's Orchestra Hall. He circulated in a cultured crowd that treated his sexual orientation as irrelevant.

So, he recalls, he was floored to hear that "gay people are just regarded as expendable. Our deaths are not important. And nobody cares."

Montgomery had never belonged to gay groups, never been an activist. But the grotesquely inhumane governmental response to his lover's murder kept gnawing at him even as years passed. Finally, he began to channel his anger into making the Detroit gay-rights group now known as the Triangle Foundation a national leader in tracking and publicizing anti-gay hate crimes.

These days, gay killings don't go uninvestigated in Michigan. Under Montgomery's leadership, the Triangle Foundation has successfully pushed for arrests and convictions in all 14 of the slayings it has identified as anti-gay since 1992. And in an encouraging turnabout, homicide investigators now seek Montgomery's advice on how to spot clues that a crime was motivated by anti-gay prejudice. Montgomery also serves on the police chief's crime prevention panel.

Yet, as Montgomery tirelessly points out, anti-gay violence continues to pervade our nation. It can happen anywhere. Homophobic thugs wielding bottles, knives or shotguns are sickeningly commonplace. They'll remain so until decent Americans send an unmistakable message of "zero tolerance" for gay bashing.

What could be more basic than the freedom to live without constant fear of being assaulted?

We desperately need to ensure that hate crimes laws specifically target anti-gay attacks. But President Clinton's proposal to expand the federal hate crimes law to include crimes based on "sexual orientation" is languishing in Congress. Likewise, legislation that would make Michigan the 20th state with a hate crimes law covering anti-gay violence appears stalled.

"I'm totally convinced," Montgomery says, "that almost all Americans believe it is wrong to act out violently against gay people. We have to take that belief and make them understand it's up to them to help us say, 'It's not just wrong; it won't be tolerated.' "

Violence researchers estimate 70 percent of anti-gay attacks go unreported to police. Yet thanks to groups like the Triangle Foundation and gatherings like the White House's Hate Crimes Summit last November, public awareness of the severity of the problem of anti-gay violence is rapidly growing.

No individual, no group, can end the assaults or make every police officer and prosecutor see the worth of gay lives. Yet Jeffrey Montgomery's work shows that one person -- touched by tragedy, powered by outrage -- can make our violent nation a bit more humane.

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 4163
Posted on Friday, September 21, 2007 - 11:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I will add my kudos to Jeff Montgomery and wish him well in his future pursuits. I have had the pleasure to know him for decades, before he went on to create Triangle, even before he came out. He was one of the first patrons of my art and encouraged me greatly in those uncertain days.

He is brilliant and forceful yet, in a bar setting, one of the most fun and jovial people you would ever want to know. I was very pleased watch him go on and create such a vigorous organization that defends our GLBT Detroiters. After all, the GLBT community along, with other minorities, are the front line soldiers in the defense of all of our rights. If the Hitlers of this world are allowed to crush their rights, the rest of ours are next.

Last time I saw him... at our ItsJeff's funeral.

Ferntruth
Username: Ferntruth

Post Number: 164
Posted on Thursday, September 27, 2007 - 5:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Affirmations in the suburbs may be a nice little gay republican oasis and provide services that are entirely helpful but are entirely in the mainstream safe zone."

We're all fans of Jeff. It's sad that the only way you could find to compliment him was by tearing down Affirmations. I'd love to hear you explain how Affirmations is a "republican oasis".
I suspect it's your anti-suburb bias showing through SG.

Eric_w
Username: Eric_w

Post Number: 347
Posted on Thursday, September 27, 2007 - 5:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Didn't agree with some of his stances but he always made a good argument for his positions. I heard him a lot on talk radio in the 90's he was true to his beliefs and a good debater without being a jerk.. Best of luck to him in future endeavors

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 225
Posted on Saturday, September 29, 2007 - 9:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i remember jeff when i was a kid, he told me to buy an al dimeola album, land of the midnight sun, loved al dimeola since.

Supergay

Post Number: 95
Posted on Sunday, September 30, 2007 - 1:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Total anti-suburban bias, representin'.

But that doesn't change the fact that the republican party is well represented on the Affirmations board. And being a gay republican is like being a jew for Hitler, IMO.

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 231
Posted on Sunday, September 30, 2007 - 11:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

come on SG, Republicans aren't as anti gay as Democrats. Most Reb's just don't think any group should receive superseded rights to current laws, constitution. And most aren't foaming mouth hate mongers.
I also haven't heard any US people advocating the extermination of gays, except maybe a couple of anti-social Christian freaks, oh and Iranian leaders.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 10283
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 12:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

come on SG, Republicans aren't as anti gay as Democrats

Funniest thing I have heard in a long time.

Supergay

Post Number: 96
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 12:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well see here's the deal. Gay people don't get equal treatment under law. And gay people are discriminated against based on their sexual preference. So passing laws that say "it's just as illegal to fire someone based on their sexual preference as it is to fire someone based on their religion or race" is simply a way of INSURING equal rights. Not granting special rights.

When someone uses the whole "no special rights" argument it just says to me how completely uninformed they are about the issue.

I find it particularly ironic that you use that argument in a thread about Jeff Montgomery, who has done so much to try to educate people about the very real anti-gay bias that exists, and to show that insuring such legal protection is necessary.

Dems, while hardly perfect on gay issues (as evidenced at the HRC Democratic candidate debate), have at least refrained from including an anti-gay agenda in their NATIONAL PLATFORM. With the (apparently very welcome) involvement of the religious right the Republican party has moved from a "government stays out of the lives of its citizens" stance to "government tells you how to live."

As for the nazi comparison, it's my opinion that gay republicans support a party that would at the very least deny them certain basic rights and in the extreme condemns them as agents of evil. What kind of self-loathing person behaves that way?

Ferntruth

Post Number: 166
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 2:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"But that doesn't change the fact that the republican party is well represented on the Affirmations board"

and you personally know the political affiliation of each board member?

"As for the nazi comparison, it's my opinion that gay republicans support a party that would at the very least deny them certain basic rights and in the extreme condemns them as agents of evil. What kind of self-loathing person behaves that way?"

No argument there. I have always scratched my head at Log Cabin Republicans. But I feel the same way about African-Americans, Jews, and other minorities who vote Republican. But isn't this just the same as self-loathing Black Gay and Lesbians who continue to attend their church and listen to the homophobic sermon?

Susanarosa
Username: Susanarosa

Post Number: 1715
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 3:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Girls, girls... let's not ruin the thread about Jeff with this stuff.

Thanks bunches!

Supergay

Post Number: 98
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 3:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

But ... but ... this IS Jeff's stuff!

Dds
Username: Dds

Post Number: 369
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 3:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I concur. Susanarosa should butt out.

Jelk
Username: Jelk

Post Number: 4640
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 4:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In fairness to the Log Cabin Republicans, they have fought with and separated themselves from the GOP on issues relating to equal rights for the gay community. There is a difference between the Log Cabin Republicans and Larry Craig. LCRs are intellectually honest people fighting for gay rights within the Republican Party. The Larry Craig-type of gay Republicans are self-loathing worthless pieces of shit who fight against marriage rights for gays but enjoy gay sex in public places.

Susanarosa
Username: Susanarosa

Post Number: 1716
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 4:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You have a good point SG. It's just that it was so pretty and happy in here...

Anyways, carry on!

Jjw
Username: Jjw

Post Number: 460
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 4:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There's an old saying, "Know your enemy". And although I am not a Log Cabin Republican, I think it is good for gay folks to have them there for the above reason.

Ferntruth

Post Number: 167
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 4:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Absolutely - this thread was to discuss Jeff Montgomery and the great job he had done at Triangle. Everyone (for the most part) seems to agree that he has done a great job and that he will be missed.
My only point was that it isn't necessary to slam Affirmations in order to give Jeff and Triangle kudos.

Supergay

Post Number: 99
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 5:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They have different missions.

Triangle fights for gay rights, and Affirmations is a community center.

Affirmations is a nice spot for a gallery show, a cup of coffee or maybe some internet surfing. Kind of like Ferndale when you come to think of it.

There, I paid a compliment. I'm not sure it was the best use of all that money, but there you go. It's nice.

Jelk

Post Number: 4641
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 5:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

SG, How can anybody be sure that Affirmations money is going to the best possible use? They have a convicted embezzler running their development department after all. An embezzler whose special crime injured two local media institutions with track records of honest and fair coverage of gay issues and events.

As a straight person person supportive of gay equality issues, it's nice to know how Affirmations treats its friends.

Cheddar_bob
Username: Cheddar_bob

Post Number: 1331
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 6:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

When someone uses the whole "no special rights" argument it just says to me how completely uninformed they are about the issue.

Don't bother checking out the "Leftist" thread on the non-Detroit side then, Supergay. Rampant uninformation there.

Supergay

Post Number: 100
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 6:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't even look over in that section. It's a retardation station.

Cheddar_bob
Username: Cheddar_bob

Post Number: 1332
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 8:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Retardation: A Celebration"
By Wilford Brimley

Ferntruth

Post Number: 168
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 9:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"They have different missions.
Triangle fights for gay rights, and Affirmations is a community center. Affirmations is a nice spot for a gallery show, a cup of coffee or maybe some internet surfing. Kind of like Ferndale when you come to think of it.
There, I paid a compliment. I'm not sure it was the best use of all that money, but there you go. It's nice."

True enough. However I never accused you of being unkind. I asked you to justify your claim that Affirmations was a "Republican oasis" and that there was this Republican heavy board that you claim. I also accused you (accurately it would seem) of having an anti-suburban bias.
But I'm sure the Ferndale DDA appreciates your "compliment", so on behalf of them thank you. =)

Supergay

Post Number: 101
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 10:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually, Fern, you just asked me if I personally knew the political affiliation of each board member. I do not. But I know the affiliation of several. I know other things too that I have been asked to not repeat - I'm not just pulling this stuff out of thin air.

No "it would seem" about it, I totally have an anti-suburban bias. It doesn't mean I don't think they should exist and that they aren't a good fit for many people. I'm just saying I don't really enjoy spending time there and don't relate to many of the people who live there.

If my compliment makes the Ferndale DDA happy, then I guess I can sleep peacefully tonight!

Ferntruth

Post Number: 171
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 10:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"No "it would seem" about it, I totally have an anti-suburban bias. It doesn't mean I don't think they should exist and that they aren't a good fit for many people. I'm just saying I don't really enjoy spending time there and don't relate to many of the people who live there."

I can appreciate that. I feel that way about living in Detroit. Might be fine for some, not for me. I guess the difference is I can feel that way with having a "bias" against the city. For me, it boils down to a matter of opinion and taste.

"But I know the affiliation of several. I know other things too that I have been asked to not repeat - I'm not just pulling this stuff out of thin air."

As do I (including the one I have spent the last 17 years married to). But honestly, you cannot use the "I know but I'm not at liberty to say" argument and expect to be taken seriously. You either make a statement you can back up or you cannot. So, in this case you are pulling things out of thin air. I would like to take you seriously, but seeing that you had an admitted anti-suburban bias....

So, yes sleep peacefully tonight. Your kind words about Ferndale are much appreciated, even if they may be insincere.

Now back to the thread.....

Ferntruth

Post Number: 172
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 10:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

sorry, one more item:

In the interest of clarity, I should have said the FORMER boardmember that I have been married to for 17 years. He left the board a couple of years ago.

Jelk

Post Number: 4643
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 10:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

An insincere word from Supergay. Deary me, I am shocked. Heavens-to-betsy whatever shall we do?

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.