Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Best and worst cities for business « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 10193
Posted on Friday, September 21, 2007 - 9:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From marketwatch.com

Now bear in mind it is metro area so this is saying that our entire area is not that nice for business. I am surprised that we are only spot beloew San Antonio - For some reason I thought that was a big draw for business.

Rank Metro area Score
1 Minneapolis-St. Paul 329
2 Denver 291
3 Richmond, Va. 287
4 Boston 283
5 Charlotte, N.C. 272
6 Nashville, Tenn. 263
7 Washington 261
8 New York 249
9 Birmingham, Ala. 248
10 San Francisco 247
11 (tie) Houston 245
Salt Lake City 245
13 Dallas 240
14 Columbus, Ohio 237
15 Atlanta 235
16 (tie) Kansas City, Mo. 233
Raleigh, N.C. 233
18 Milwaukee 226
19 St. Louis 225
20 Jacksonville, Fla. 216
21 Seattle 214
22 Cleveland 209
23 Chicago 208
24 Pittsburgh 207
25 Memphis, Tenn. 205
26 San Diego 199
27 Oklahoma City 198
28 Indianapolis 197
29 Providence, R.I. 195
30 Tampa-St. Petersburg, Fla. 192
31 Austin, Texas 191
32 Cincinnati 188
33 Portland, Ore. 185
34 Baltimore 183
35 Phoenix 182
36 Philadelphia 181
37 Orlando, Fla. 180
38 Miami 173
39 Louisville, Ky. 172
40 Hartford, Conn. 166
41 Las Vegas 161
42 Virginia Beach-Norfolk, Va. 157
43 San Antonio 153
44 Detroit 139
45 Los Angeles 137
46 Sacramento, Calif. 128
47 Buffalo, N.Y. 125
48 Tucson, Ariz. 120
49 Rochester, N.Y. 114
50 New Orleans 76

44. Detroit, 139 points: This one may seem predictable, but Motor City has a formidable presence on the Fortune 1000 and Forbes 400 lists.
You may have heard of a couple of the biggest players, General Motors; there is also a vast array of suppliers to the nation's big carmakers. Further, Detroit is a classic Rust Belt city that still has a number of manufacturers in its greater metro area.
Trouble is, growth has been stagnant. The region is next to last in job growth and unemployment measures, even though its population growth over this decade has been little more than one-third of 1%.
There appears to be little help from up-and-coming businesses on the horizon. Detroit was in the bottom half in the S&P, Russell and small-business categories.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 4002
Posted on Friday, September 21, 2007 - 11:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe the following business-related items might shed some light...

Michigan:
four straight years of net job losses
highest national unemployment @ 7.4%-- up 0.2% this month
still mired in recession
government facing shutdown
very high (highest?) foreclosure rate

auto & Tier industries:
still in continual recession since around 1998
several Tiers in bankruptcy or gone
MI Tiers fleeing the state for Indiana, Ohio, and Wisconsin for relocating their plants

Llyn
Username: Llyn

Post Number: 1864
Posted on Friday, September 21, 2007 - 11:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JT1, you may not have meant your closing comments this way... but I suspect that the list is not predicated on who is here and who isn't. It's probably a combination of taxes, land costs, construction costs, utility costs, labor force availability, labor costs, infrastructure, etc., etc.

I would have thought the area would rate a little higher, though. There's the obvious detractions - taxes and utilities are definitely out of line with other states and municipalities for one thing.

I'm guessing there's some flaws and misconceptions in studies like this, however.

For example, let's take labor costs for construction which I am very familiar with. A quick qualifier - I'm not particularly pro-union or anti-union. I think there's a place for unions, but I get frustrated with the amount of entitlement I have to experience.

That said, you can't just look at hourly rates. If I bid a job in New York it costs me three times as much money for the electrical or mechanical installation. In St Louis it's twice as much. The labor rates are not that different, say 20% or so. The difference is in how hard people work and the kind of work ethic they have. People in Detroit have a work ethic. People in the northeast spend half their day on break. Seriously.

Or, if you are a company that needs mechanical or structural materials engineers, where else are you going to go that has such a concentration of talent available? And we have a variety of other skills in the region including more technology than we are given credit for...

This area has problems with high costs for taxes and utilities (although I think we're becoming more competiitive on utilities (?) and beat out some areas of the country - not to mention that we weren't having blackouts like California).

However, the Detroit metro area also has a skilled hard working labor force overall (not to mention cheaper land and construction costs). I think Detroit is underrated in many ways. For all their cachet, I don't see New York or Boston (or St Louis!) as being a better place to do business than Detroit.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 10196
Posted on Friday, September 21, 2007 - 11:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My bad - The closing paragraph is a quote form the article.

Mrsjdaniels
Username: Mrsjdaniels

Post Number: 246
Posted on Friday, September 21, 2007 - 11:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Charlotte here I come...serioulsy - June 08

Llyn
Username: Llyn

Post Number: 1865
Posted on Friday, September 21, 2007 - 12:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

P.S.

LY, I'm not sure how much those factors play into the mix. When you think of starting a business that could locate anywhere independant of the state of the local economy (non-retail for example), you're looking a business expenses primarily. How much will it cost me? When business leaves this area, it's because of higher costs for doing business, not the general business climate.

Except for Comerica, of course.

Who cares if the unemployment rate is high? Maybe that just means cheaper abundant labor...

P.P.S. Actually the Tier 1 suppliers are starting to come out of bankruptcy. Federal Mogul and Tower Automotive are out now, for example, and Delphi is almost out. There's still problems in the supplier industry, but I think most of the shakeout has already happened.

Not sure who you are referring to that has moved. The only big move lately is VW. Suppliers tend to move here, not ther other way around... unless you're talking about supplier plants, and I can't even think of many of those that have moved. Did you have some specific examples in mind?

Novine
Username: Novine

Post Number: 156
Posted on Friday, September 21, 2007 - 1:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just goes to show how little low tax rates matter to the overall score.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 4003
Posted on Friday, September 21, 2007 - 2:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nobody really requires an MBA in order to assess that the following local companies or branches (among others...) are not performing well.

Collins and Aikman--bankrupt and already mentioned that it will not remain in business when it concludes its reorganization.

Tower Automotive--went bankrupt; subsequently sold to Cerberus.

Rouge Industries in Dearborn (formerly part of Ford)--bellied up; subsequently sold in bankruptcy court to the only bidder, Severstal NA (a Russian company) and recently sold again to yet another foreign firm.

Chrysler--Daimler sold a majority interest at a huge financial loss with respect to its purchase price.

Delphi--formerly the components division of GM and once the 51st largest US company in itself in 1999--still in bankruptcy after almost two whole years already...

Visteon--formerly Ford's R&D facility and later stuck with the components division of Ford --teeters with bankruptcy itself; had to be bailed out by Ford in order to stave off bankruptcy; halted its formerly planned move of its headquarters to downtown Detroit.

GKN Sinter Metals (another foreign-owned Tier) will shutter all three of its Michigan facilities (yet will replace them with new plants in either WI or IN) that produce auto components, such as connecting rods, etc.

Ford: Due to its extremely poor bond ratings from all three major bond-rating firms, Ford has mortgaged its assets (including its blue oval) in order to acquire cash so as to run their businesses.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 6556
Posted on Friday, September 21, 2007 - 3:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit could be the best for business if people put away their xenophobic race cards, create safer neighborhoods, lure in international jobs, provide better schools and having a good political leaders. Without these things, there can be no better business in Detroit.

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 183
Posted on Friday, September 21, 2007 - 9:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The wealthiest people in the world didn't think of how not to make money or recessions, only how to grow their business. Work around the negatives.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1722
Posted on Saturday, September 22, 2007 - 11:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Charlotte here I come...serioulsy - June 08"

Well Mrsjdaniels, Charlotte really isn't all that great; you will definitely miss much of what Detroit is about and has to offer. Sure Charlotte is great for business and families, but is otherwise lacking in basically every other category that you can imagine. Anyways, feel free to hit me up: paulfretz@ls3p.com

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 588
Posted on Sunday, September 23, 2007 - 6:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

livernois,

visteon NEVER planned on moving its HQ to downtown detroit. Get your damn facts straight before you spew your crap all over the forum.

Scruffy
Username: Scruffy

Post Number: 16
Posted on Sunday, September 23, 2007 - 7:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Visteon's troubles did scuttle its plans to move about 600 IT workers downtown. Fortunately, the highly favorable lease it signed in OKS allowed it to sublease to another suburban company - Marketing Associates.

Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 589
Posted on Sunday, September 23, 2007 - 8:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was not 600 employees either. Also, a large chunk of them were going to be IBM employees doing IT work for Visteon, not actual Visteon employees.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 4036
Posted on Sunday, September 23, 2007 - 8:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not trying to deflect attention away from Visteon's financial woes, aren't we now?

And Visteon's doing great, right? How many profitable years has it had during the past seven years? Is zero the correct answer?

The following article dealt with Visteon up through 2005. It lost another $163 million in earnings for 2006, and their stockholders' equity took an even bigger hit at losing another $188 million that year...

Visteon Posts 4th-Qtr $1.34 Bln Profit Citing Facility Sales to Ford
quote:

Visteon Posts 4th-Qtr $1.34 Bln Profit Citing Facility Sales to Ford
Nancy Syverson
Manufacturing.Net - February 10, 2006

Visteon Corp., the second-biggest U.S. auto-parts maker, posted a fourth-quarter profit of $1.34 billion because of a gain from transferring plants and offices back to former parent Ford Motor Co.

Net income was $10.25 a share, compared with a net loss of $138 million, or $1.10, a year earlier, Visteon said in a statement today. The Ford transaction added $1.8 billion. The results also included $335 million to write down the value of some U.S. and U.K. production lines. Sales fell 39 percent to $2.87 billion from $4.68 billion, reflecting the plant transfers.

The fourth-quarter results left Visteon with a loss of $270 million in 2005, its fifth-straight year without a profit since being spun off from Ford in 2000. Visteon's sales to Ford suffered as the automaker trimmed North American auto production last year by 5.7 percent as its U.S. auto sales fell.

``They can't restructure fast enough to reflect what's happening with their key customers,'' said Argus Research analyst Kevin Tynan in New York, who has a ``sell'' rating on Visteon.

Visteon, of Van Buren, Michigan, said more than a half of its sales came from outside Ford during the fourth quarter, up from 33 percent in the fourth quarter of 2004. Visteon transferred 23 North American facilities to Ford on Oct. 1 to cut costs.

The operations included plants employing 18,000 employees represented by the United Auto Workers, who are paid about twice what parts-plant workers receive at competitors. Ford has said it intends to sell most of those factories.

Visteon is trying to make its North American operations profitable while relying more heavily on business overseas. The company said on Jan. 11 that it expects $800 million in costs under a restructuring plan that includes closing at least three plants this year. Visteon in a U.S. regulatory filing today revised the figure to $650 million.

Visteon intends to close factories in Puerto Rico and Mexico this quarter and a Buffalo, New York, plant in the third quarter. The company said in January it's also trying to sell six ``non-strategic operations'' and working to improve 12 ``underperforming plants,'' which it didn't identify.

Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 590
Posted on Sunday, September 23, 2007 - 9:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Umm, no. Visteon is in financial shambles, and it will likely get worse.The point is that you just made shit up. And you know it.

Lmr
Username: Lmr

Post Number: 102
Posted on Monday, September 24, 2007 - 8:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I live in #1 on this list. According to the local paper here, a big part of that was because of the diversity of business here - the medical device business is huge (Medtronic, St. Jude Medical, and others), food processing is huge (General Mills and others), there is also financial services (banks and insurance), retail (Best Buy), manufacturing (3M and many smaller places), a large number of small businesses (often started by Asian and other immigrants), plus several large hospitals and colleges/universities.

I think a lot of that is more by accident than planning. Still, I think a variety of industries instead of concentration in one is the key to success.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.