Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Eternally On Patrol « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 4960
Posted on Friday, September 21, 2007 - 2:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

C:

C:

Servicemen and women who paid the ultimate ssacrifice in the Afghanistan Theater, by state/territory (GCP West)

C:

Servicemen and Women who Gave their lives in the Iraqi Theater, by state/ teritory (GCP East)

C:

Iraqi civilians who have died in the midst of the choas in Iraq.

If we can have a moment of silence as we pass by GCP this weekend...

(Message edited by Detroit_stylin on September 21, 2007)

Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 4961
Posted on Friday, September 21, 2007 - 2:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We Will Never Forget

A somber reminder of the days we are in...

As I walked by GCP this afternoon I noticed that there are almost as many crosses sprawled across Grand Circus Park as there are casualties in the theaters of operation of Iraq and Afghanistan. On GCP East circling the Algiers Fountain, there are stair-stepping boards thay span from roughly 4 feet to as high as 15 feet that lists the names of all Iraqi civilians who have died also in this occupation/ conflict.

There will be a dedication tommorrow @ 1pm and I will be in attendance w/o question, but anyone that has some degree of patriotism should visit this traveling memorial. It will on display until the 24th. I highly reccomend everyone to go see it. It is like Detroit's Own Arlington cemetary...

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 10204
Posted on Friday, September 21, 2007 - 2:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Certainly a sobering experience. Certainly makes me appreciate the sacrifices that the soldiers and their families have endured.

My thanks to all who have served in the military and their families as they have to deal with the consequences as well.

Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 4962
Posted on Friday, September 21, 2007 - 3:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Man Jt these pictures cant even begin to do the scene justice. You just have to be be down at Grand Circus Park to see it for yourself...

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 10205
Posted on Friday, September 21, 2007 - 3:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I will check it out tonight. Reagrdless of any difference this has got to touch everyone.

Quozl
Username: Quozl

Post Number: 1514
Posted on Friday, September 21, 2007 - 3:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Were these pics from your cell phone Stylin'?

Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 4963
Posted on Friday, September 21, 2007 - 3:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yeah they were Q...forgive the poor quality of them but I PS'ed them as best I could..

Detroitrulez
Username: Detroitrulez

Post Number: 421
Posted on Friday, September 21, 2007 - 3:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

did the UAW fund this as well?

Quozl

Post Number: 1516
Posted on Friday, September 21, 2007 - 3:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

NP dude, pics I take with my RAZR phone look about the same. Thanks for taking them Stylin'.

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 2737
Posted on Friday, September 21, 2007 - 3:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for posting those DS. Very nice.

Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 4965
Posted on Friday, September 21, 2007 - 5:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is no problem at all. What I would ask though is for this to be kept at the top of the pile as much as possible, so that people can remain aware of the sacrifices that have been made in order for others to remain comfortable in front of their plasmas and continue to scream how 'we' need to stay the course...

Quozl

Post Number: 1528
Posted on Friday, September 21, 2007 - 6:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 4967
Posted on Friday, September 21, 2007 - 7:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL Thanx Q...

Barnesfoto
Username: Barnesfoto

Post Number: 4212
Posted on Friday, September 21, 2007 - 8:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

bump

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 4162
Posted on Friday, September 21, 2007 - 10:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice pics Stylin'; thanks. It reminds me of some of the Civil War battlefield cemeteries I have seen.

Broken_main
Username: Broken_main

Post Number: 1337
Posted on Saturday, September 22, 2007 - 12:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I went down this morning with the family and it was very sad. Having lost my father in Vietnam, things like this always hit me kinda hard.

This is a very good exhibit.

Detroitduo
Username: Detroitduo

Post Number: 872
Posted on Saturday, September 22, 2007 - 5:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks DS. I thought this was going to be some cheesy protest, but it appears to be VERY well done. Sadly, I can't make it to view it, so thanks for the picts, at least.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 10270
Posted on Saturday, September 22, 2007 - 6:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was eerie biking by there this morning, what a powerful statement...if we won't go to the cemetery to honor them, have it come to us in the middle of our town.

It is a testimony of man's inability to behave...and play well. So many things in life should've been learned in kindergarten.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 2807
Posted on Saturday, September 22, 2007 - 9:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

anyone Flickrd this yet?

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 2740
Posted on Saturday, September 22, 2007 - 10:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The ceremony is at 1pm today. Come on down.

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 2742
Posted on Saturday, September 22, 2007 - 3:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The dedication ceremony was very moving. I am glad I drove down there.

It was a non-political event. The names of the Michigan soldiers who died in Iraq and Afghanistan were read, Taps was played, a song was sung. Simple and beautiful.

It's too bad they couldn't get their approval from the city for such a long time, there wasn't time to get much publicity - and of course the papers and the tv stations couldn't be bothered to send anyone.

Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 4968
Posted on Saturday, September 22, 2007 - 6:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I saw a few people down at the exhibition today. I hope they have good numbers by the time the exhibit leaves. I willk be taking another trip to actually see it in it's entirety tonight after I leave the office...

Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 4969
Posted on Saturday, September 22, 2007 - 7:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

bump

Karl_jr
Username: Karl_jr

Post Number: 84
Posted on Sunday, September 23, 2007 - 2:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

bump again, may they rest in peace

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.