Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Save-A-Lot and Aldi's Making Up For Lack of Decent Markets Within Detroit « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 7
Posted on Saturday, September 22, 2007 - 1:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Interesting, Save-A-Lot and Aldi's both over the past 5 years have been expanding throughout the city of Detroit with new locations and everything, while all the top National Brand stores have either went out of business or just left.

I do think it makes up for the lack of grocery stores if you can live with off-brand foods. Their foods are generally fresh and Save-A-Lot has fairly good quality meats with reasonable prices.

However, does it have to do with the fact that these 2 stores are only expanding in Detroit because the general demographics satisfy their off-brand food pricing, unlike the higher priced, national brand stores?

Comments?

Granmontrules
Username: Granmontrules

Post Number: 173
Posted on Saturday, September 22, 2007 - 2:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We love Aldi. It is like a lower-end Trader Joes.

Bob
Username: Bob

Post Number: 1572
Posted on Saturday, September 22, 2007 - 3:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There are Aldi's locations all over Metro Detroit. They put one on the Sterling Heights/Clinton Township border a year or two ago. If you do a search for locations, there is one in Troy, Shelby Township, etc. I think they are just looking at markets where they find growth and there definitely is a market for grocery stores in the city. Aldi's does a wonderful job of keeping costs down while offering decent products.

(Message edited by bob on September 22, 2007)

Detroitrise

Post Number: 12
Posted on Saturday, September 22, 2007 - 3:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bob,

I wasn't speaking of necessarily Metro Detroit, just within the city limits of Detroit.

However, I do agree they keep a balanced expense-price ratio

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 4010
Posted on Saturday, September 22, 2007 - 3:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Aldi (German for all discount) is a German company--just like Daimler. So, do the buy American types shop there?

Detroitrise

Post Number: 15
Posted on Saturday, September 22, 2007 - 3:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Aldi (German for all discount) is a German company--just like Daimler. So, do the buy American types shop there?"

I would Imagine they shop at Save-A-Lot :-)

Bob
Username: Bob

Post Number: 1574
Posted on Saturday, September 22, 2007 - 4:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Aldi does have a large distribution center that is only a couple years old right next to I-96 at the Stockbridge exit.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 4014
Posted on Saturday, September 22, 2007 - 4:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It took some time for Aldi (1997) to have their first MI stores. They were in IL and WI since 1976.

The Wiki says Albrecht Discount, but their stores used Alles instead of Albrecht back thirty years ago in WI.

(Message edited by LivernoisYard on September 22, 2007)

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 6562
Posted on Saturday, September 22, 2007 - 6:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Both Save-A-Lot and Aldi's have save our old supermarkets in the ghettohoods and keeping low-income folks for going to the suburbs to shop at some giganto-marts containing giganto-prices. The two chains are keeping up the good work and providing lower prices at the same time.

Softailrider
Username: Softailrider

Post Number: 67
Posted on Saturday, September 22, 2007 - 9:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There's a Save - A - Lot on the Northwest side , I think it's on Fenkell near Wyoming .. I stopped in there once on my way home from work . Store wasn't very clean . I've been in Chaldeon markets that were in better shape

Detroitrise

Post Number: 29
Posted on Saturday, September 22, 2007 - 9:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, but the Save-A-Lot Store on Warren and Conner is possibly the best store I've been in. Everything was right to me.

I've been in Chaldean markets that are worse (Thrifty Scot, Del-Pointe and Dallas over here in EEV/Morningside/Chandler Park rings a bell).

(Message edited by Detroitrise on September 22, 2007)

Rooms222
Username: Rooms222

Post Number: 49
Posted on Sunday, September 23, 2007 - 12:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Save a Lots are independently run, but they buy the groceries from Save-A-Lot (a division of SuperValu). Fresh Meat and Produce are handled by the store owner and vary tremendously from store to store (as does general cleanliness).

Aldi USA is owned by one of the Aldi brothers. Trader Joe's is owned by the other Aldi brother. They have divided up the world as to which Aldi has the rights to open Aldi in it. They have stores all over the city of Chicago. and have for ages. Aldi has gone more upscale over the years, which means they offer a fuller variety of products, including a much fuller produce selection. In the past, produce was seasonal and limited, which is realistic, but not to the expectations of people today.

Look for certain products sourced in Germany or Europe which are good. They have German Coffee (mild or regular) for 3.99 a Kilo. This summer they had wonderful ice cream cups from Italy that were spectacular.

Nainrouge
Username: Nainrouge

Post Number: 253
Posted on Monday, September 24, 2007 - 2:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They also have excellent German Beer (Wernesgruener) for about the same price as bud.

I love Aldi's. Too bad there aren't more in the 'burbs.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 5395
Posted on Monday, September 24, 2007 - 2:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nainrouge, which burbs are you talking about?

On the east side, there's an Aldi's at 8 & Gratiot (in Detroit), at 9 Mile & I-94 (Eastpointe), and at 14 1/2 & Gratiot (Clinton Twp). So they are popping up everywhere.

As to the "Buy America crowd" comment, anyone with half a brain knows that those folks mainly try to buy American cars, and other goods when possible. Ever try buying American grown bananas?

As for Aldi's being a German owned company, they do sell USA (as well as imported) food stuffs. And they employ LOCAL folks to work there.

With the demise of all the major chain grocery stores (Chatham, Great Scott, Wrigley's, A&P, Farmer Jack's), they help fill a niche that is greatly lacking, especially within the city of Detroit.

And their no frills approach helps keep costs down. Their "bring your own bags and bag it yourself" approach is very common in German grocery stores.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 4047
Posted on Monday, September 24, 2007 - 3:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Aldi--Wyoming & 8 MI (Ferndale). Been there over ten years.

Another on Ford Road in Garden City?--been there also ten years

another first-crop Aldi at Telegraph and Van Born in Dearborn Hgts.

6nois
Username: 6nois

Post Number: 515
Posted on Monday, September 24, 2007 - 3:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like Aldi, Save-A-Lots are just scary to me. Does anyone know how many Aldi's there are in Detroit?

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 2715
Posted on Monday, September 24, 2007 - 3:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Save-A-Lot doesn't Mop-A-Lot or Clean-A-Lot. At least not from what I've seen.

Waxx
Username: Waxx

Post Number: 271
Posted on Monday, September 24, 2007 - 4:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ALDI's rocks! I've more shopping there this past year than I have Kroger, Meijer, WalMart, A & P/Farmer Jack combined! And Aldi's is clean and in stable neighborhoods (some 'hoods anyway). I very seldom shop @ SAv-A-Lot (for the reasons Johnlodge stated). I, too, am curious as to how many Aldi's are in Detroit.

Susanarosa
Username: Susanarosa

Post Number: 1691
Posted on Monday, September 24, 2007 - 4:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, instead of being curious, how about you go to their website and use the store locator...

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 2720
Posted on Monday, September 24, 2007 - 4:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I only see 2 Aldis listed in Detroit on their store locator. 14708 Mack Ave and 15415 Gratiot.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 5398
Posted on Monday, September 24, 2007 - 4:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My mother used to bake her own Christmas Stollen (a German style fruit cake but not as dense). But she now gets it at Aldi's every holiday season for a cheaper price ($2.99) than she can buy the ingredients for to make it herself.

Their coffee is very good, because the Europeans seem to have a superior way of roasting their coffee, compared to American companies.

Aldi's also has a good selection of Eurpean chocolate at cheaper prices, which doesn't have that "waxy" consistency that a lot of USA chocolate seems to suffer from.

And ya gotta love their way of handling grocery carts (25 cents to release a cart). Keeps cart pilfering to a minimum. I hate those ugly metal cart barriers found in many other Detroit markets.

Ericdetfan
Username: Ericdetfan

Post Number: 193
Posted on Monday, September 24, 2007 - 8:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

aldi is awesome been shopping since the store in Garden City opened.

Detroitrise

Post Number: 38
Posted on Monday, September 24, 2007 - 10:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I only see 2 Aldis listed in Detroit on their store locator. 14708 Mack Ave and 15415 Gratiot."

They're building one in Highland Park as well (well technically isn't Detroit, but I consider it Detroit). Then of course a lot of Detroiters shop at the location on 8 Mile and Wyoming (again, not technically Detroit, but close enough).

Bob_cosgrove
Username: Bob_cosgrove

Post Number: 574
Posted on Tuesday, September 25, 2007 - 6:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Another Market on the East Side, which does a very good job is the Indian Village Market on East Jefferson Avenue at Iroquois.

Located in the what was once an Allied Super Market c.1958 building, it was the Riviera Market until about eight years ago.

Jimmy, the new owner, completely redecorated the store and had architectural photographer Glen Calvin Moon provide large photos of Indian Village homes mounted high around the walls creating a very nice setting in which to shop.

The prices are reasonable and the produce and meats very good. I still reluctantly use Krogers in the Grosse Pointes for a few products, but could live with the IV Market alone.

The Kroger's in the City of Grosse Pointe sucks. They lack shelf space so carry only small cans of many products. Then when they enlarged taking over the store space next door, all they did was fill it with wine and beer, not groceries.

The former Farmer Jack's on Mack just west of Vernier (8 Mile) is a decent Kroger store. The assistant manager there is an Indian Villager and former Farmer Jack manager.

Kroger and the other major chains have abandoned the City in what certainly is a prejudicial move not in keeping with civic resonsiblity. Yes, I know their are problems with running inter-city stores, but that when the CFO"s and bottom line rules, civic duty fails.

I haven't shopped at the Harbor Town Market since Jimmy opened the Indian Village Market. But, Tom George did a fairly good job there too. It is on East Jefferson just west of Mount Elliott.

I have shoopped a couple of time at the Aldi's on Mack on the edge of Grosse Pointe Park, but find it no where near as good of Indian Village Market nor Harbor Town.

Bob Cosgrove

Detroitrise

Post Number: 40
Posted on Tuesday, September 25, 2007 - 7:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Only bad blood I have against Indian Village is that their Shelf Items (frozen and dry) were outdated. Otherwise, great, full serrvice market.

My choice has always been either Save-A-Lot or Glory's.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.