Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » LIFE Magazine « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Chuckjav
Username: Chuckjav

Post Number: 84
Posted on Saturday, September 22, 2007 - 2:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The July 05, 1943 issue of LIFE Magazine is currently available on eBay; details in pictures/words, the 1943 Detroit Race Riot

Crumbled_pavement
Username: Crumbled_pavement

Post Number: 19
Posted on Saturday, September 22, 2007 - 4:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was a race riot in 1943? Can you give me more information about this because I never heard about it.

Thanks

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 18
Posted on Saturday, September 22, 2007 - 4:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://info.detnews.com/histor y/story/index.cfm?id=185&categ ory=events

Crumbled_pavement

Post Number: 20
Posted on Saturday, September 22, 2007 - 6:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Detroitrise. I knew about the 1967 riot but not the 1943 riot. It seems nothing has really changed much in Detroit since 1943. So sad

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 10275
Posted on Saturday, September 22, 2007 - 7:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We've had at least three and maybe five race riots periodically throughout Detroit's history, enough for me to recognize that it's roots are spiritual...not physical.

Anyone ignoring the spiritual affects and effects of these events will never get to the point of healing.

Cheers!

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 1191
Posted on Saturday, September 22, 2007 - 8:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

It seems nothing has really changed much in Detroit since 1943.

Huh?

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 28
Posted on Saturday, September 22, 2007 - 8:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He's speaking in our region socially, not in terms of society

Crumbled_pavement

Post Number: 21
Posted on Saturday, September 22, 2007 - 8:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Detroitrise. That's basically what I'm saying. There is still so much senseless division. Yes, everybody smiles on the outside, but on the inside many people still want everything seperate. Many people have no complaint when they can profit off of the labor of others, but once that labor is no longer needed the hostility heats up. No one will be able to convince me, considering Detroit's history, that a lot of the division between the city and suburbs isn't racial. And I am not blaming any one side, I'm blaming all sides!

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1730
Posted on Sunday, September 23, 2007 - 1:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I swear that there was a race riot in Detroit in the 1800s too, but I can't remember what year.
http://www.metrotimes.com/edit orial/story.asp?id=5041

English
Username: English

Post Number: 579
Posted on Sunday, September 23, 2007 - 2:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yep, our grandfather always talked about the riots of 1943. He experienced both (moved to Detroit in 1919), and said that '67 had NOTHING on '43.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.