Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Metroparks were going to buy Belle Isle « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

French777
Username: French777

Post Number: 232
Posted on Saturday, September 22, 2007 - 4:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought in like the 70's the Metroparks system wanted to purchase Belle Isle but the city voted it down or something

wouldn't Belle isle look nicer now if the Metroparks system owned it??

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 545
Posted on Saturday, September 22, 2007 - 5:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

this is an old argument in detroit that at it's core revolves around aesthetics v. utility...

i think what should happen is charge everyone who drives in... if you walk or bike, you get in free... maybe you could allow seniors and handicapped free as well... would cut down on cruising... AND locals... (the ones who would be walking and biking) would get in free...

Bearinabox
Username: Bearinabox

Post Number: 270
Posted on Saturday, September 22, 2007 - 5:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I suppose that'd keep the westsiders out...

Granmontrules
Username: Granmontrules

Post Number: 174
Posted on Saturday, September 22, 2007 - 5:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok. so how much would the infrastructure cost to build the system that would charge people? You have to pay booth attendants with benefits, and you would then have an ugle booth that is on a bridge or island that was meant as a public space for people to enjoy free. Charging is stupid.

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 19
Posted on Saturday, September 22, 2007 - 5:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL Bearinabox, that would be wonderful. They can get their own park!

Hudkina
Username: Hudkina

Post Number: 59
Posted on Saturday, September 22, 2007 - 5:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Granmontrules, have you ever been to a Metro Park? The booths probably cost a few thousand dollars to construct and the people who work them are young college kids who probably make less than $10 an hour without benefits. The costs to build, maintain, and operate them would probably be recuperated in a week.

I think that charging an entrance fee for vehicles would be the best thing for Belle Isle at this time.

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 547
Posted on Saturday, September 22, 2007 - 5:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

charging may not be ideal, granmontrules, but neither is closing the stable, zoo, boat club, canoe livery, and aquarium... ALL GONE... bye bye... what's next? the conservatory or the nature center... your guess is as good as mine...

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 864
Posted on Saturday, September 22, 2007 - 5:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not 100% sure about this, but I believe the city voted to make BI part of the MP system in the early 70's, maybe 1972. The MP's needed more money and a vote was put to the people in the MP region that was voted down, including in the city of Detroit.

Deteamster
Username: Deteamster

Post Number: 45
Posted on Saturday, September 22, 2007 - 5:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I work for HCMA seasonally.
Hands down, I think Belle Isle would be ten million times better off as a Metro Park. Have you seen how pristine they're kept, compared to, say, any city park?
Someone mentioned kids working there. You bet. That's how I started. It helped me pay for college and live on my own, coming from a family of modest means. Most of the jobs are seasonal and recurring. Detroit kids could earn a good $3000 over the summer, and where else in Detroit does that happen? Better than fooling around all summer.

Granmontrules
Username: Granmontrules

Post Number: 175
Posted on Saturday, September 22, 2007 - 5:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It would take millions to open those things. You think you are going to get millions by charging two bucks a car? Lets assume it would take 10,000,000 to open all those things. You would need 5 million cars - can BI handle 5 million cars? And would the racist region even come down to Detroit - yes a few people would. Charging a toll isn't logical to re-open all that is closed. We need another half million tax payers in Detroit.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 1681
Posted on Saturday, September 22, 2007 - 7:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Belle Isle needs a conservation group.

Hudkina
Username: Hudkina

Post Number: 60
Posted on Saturday, September 22, 2007 - 7:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

$10 million to open two plastic and plexiglass booths? How the heck do you figure that? I would say that it would probably cost a few thousand per booth for materials, labor, etc.

Mdoyle
Username: Mdoyle

Post Number: 214
Posted on Saturday, September 22, 2007 - 8:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree with a modest charge, and the turning over to the metro parks. We charge for places like the DIA,The Historical Museum, The New Science Center. No one cries the race card there, and they also dont complain to enjoy something thats well maintained. I treasure Belle Isle as much as I do he museums, it would only benefit to have money dedicated to its upkeep, restoration and preservation.

Rjk

Post Number: 865
Posted on Saturday, September 22, 2007 - 8:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Doesn't Detroit 300 Conservancy take care of Campus Martius? A conservancy runs Central Park, why not Belle Isle?

Under the heading of 1980-Present.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C entral_Park

http://www.centralparknyc.org/ site/PageNavigator/aboutcon_cp c

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1731
Posted on Sunday, September 23, 2007 - 1:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I swear this thread is from two months ago...

Fishtoes2000
Username: Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 296
Posted on Sunday, September 23, 2007 - 2:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just don't think the answer is all that clear cut.

Typically for parks, the user/gate fees cover operational costs while grants and other funding covers infrastructure costs. Of course, Belle Isle needs a lot of the latter.

I don't know how much money the City pumps into Belle Isle today, but if it were an HCMA facility, that likely would become zero. (Bonus: possibly lower taxes for Detroiters.) The gate/user fees would need to make up that difference. The HCMA also has a perpetual millage, so that brings in additional funding to help with infrastructure improvements. Still, there would need to be substantial money from other sources to restore all of the island's grandeur.

Another point is grants are often a little tougher to get for public facilities that charge entrance fees.

Then again, how can one argue against conservancies given their recent successes in Detroit?

Professorscott
Username: Professorscott

Post Number: 780
Posted on Sunday, September 23, 2007 - 10:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is an interesting discussion, but in order for HCMA to run Belle Isle, two things would have to happen, and neither are likely.

1. The City would have to agree to let HCMA run it.

2. HCMA would have to agree to run it.

So despite the benefits, I don't see it, unless some of you know something I don't know.

Miketoronto
Username: Miketoronto

Post Number: 666
Posted on Monday, September 24, 2007 - 12:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Belle Isle Conservatory is already operated by a non-profit consevancy, and they are doing a great job. They have restored the greenhouses, keep them running, and everything else. They do with fundraising, volunteers, and gov grants.

Now you just have to expand that to other parts of the park.

Check out the Olmstead Conservancy in Buffalo that manages all the Olmstead Parks in Buffalo and is restoring them. All done by fund raising, etc.

Cybersanford
Username: Cybersanford

Post Number: 33
Posted on Tuesday, September 25, 2007 - 1:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is a great idea! It would help keep out the riff raff. You know the 24" spinners with the boom box! A lot less chicken bones thrown in the parking areas. I thought the island looked great during the Grand Prix, but when I left I drove a couple hundred yards east of the race site and was disgusted! Scummy people and trash all over the place! What a Detroit high buzz kill for my family!

Professorscott
Username: Professorscott

Post Number: 792
Posted on Tuesday, September 25, 2007 - 3:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For those of us that ride the bus, it was a sad day this April when DDOT ended service to Belle Isle after over 100 years. Now, if you aren't driving a car, you have to walk from Jefferson, which is an ambitious little walk if you're not in good shape.

I was surprised not to see any news reports of this when it happened.

Rjk

Post Number: 876
Posted on Tuesday, September 25, 2007 - 3:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^ It was a sad day for me when I heard about it also. When I visited my grandmother as a child we would take the bus to BI. I have great memories of our visits.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.