Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » The tunnel under the packard plant. « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Buttholesurfer
Username: Buttholesurfer

Post Number: 1
Posted on Sunday, September 23, 2007 - 2:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Im pretty familiar with the old Packard Plant. Today I took some friends down in the tunnel that runs along the street between the two Packard buildings, Bellevue Street I believe. It has a bunch of rooms to explore, bricked up stairways, and Im sure it goes all the way from the far South side of the plant all the way to at least past Grand Blvd. but it was blocked off with rubble right below Grand Blvd. If someone really wanted to they could dig through, I would think the tunnel goes all the way to I-94. Its some pretty cool city splunking. Anyone know of any other tunnels to explore in the city. I know theres some short ones under the train depot but nothing spectacular. I havnt been on this site in a year or two, Im sure this has already been discussed, forgive me.

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 424
Posted on Sunday, September 23, 2007 - 11:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hope it doesn't cave in on someone who will now want to explore it.

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1432
Posted on Sunday, September 23, 2007 - 4:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ah, you've fallen into the enchanted land of the jockeys!

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1433
Posted on Sunday, September 23, 2007 - 4:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Love the handle, too. Butthole. Ever go see 'em? They even had a nod to Detroit on that one song with all the weird sound effects and barely intelligible blues lyrics: "Take me back to Detroit Town, yeah, boy!"

Bussey
Username: Bussey

Post Number: 597
Posted on Sunday, September 23, 2007 - 4:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

any pictures?

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 1773
Posted on Sunday, September 23, 2007 - 6:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the Packard foundry used to be where I-94 runs today

Buttholesurfer
Username: Buttholesurfer

Post Number: 3
Posted on Sunday, September 23, 2007 - 6:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The tunnels are pretty secure, Not much a chance of a cave in. They run along under the street that goes between the two main buildings, If it hasnt caved in by now I cant imagine it will anytime soon. It would have swallowed up a car by now.
Buttholes, oh yeah Ive seen them a few times. They actually lived here in detroit, I cant remember the record label, possibly touch an go, was here in Detroit, Hamtramack I believe. The guy who started the label would put them up now and then. I met Gibby Haynes last time they came through. Ppl. dont realize what an impact theyve had on music today, you hear their style of guitar from all sorts of bands now, that crazy, over the top guitar, sounds like the guitar is gonna break.
"pass me some af that dumbass over there, yeeaaaa bo"
Ive always refered to pot as dumbass since that song came out.

Ill try and get some pics next time im down there, My batteries ran out yesterday when I was down there.

Hpgrmln
Username: Hpgrmln

Post Number: 184
Posted on Sunday, September 23, 2007 - 8:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

who was in my room last night?
Who the hell was in my bed?

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1434
Posted on Monday, September 24, 2007 - 11:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The creep in the cellar... I let him in!

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 5545
Posted on Monday, September 24, 2007 - 1:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Buttholesurfer, welcome to Forum. Post your photos on this Forum and become an internationally recognized hero.

The Subway under The Blvd. of the Fisher Bldg. is worth the time.

Some folks have recommended the steam tunnels under downtown Detroit, preferably in summer.

There's a tunnel to Windsor for carryout ribs and Chinese.

There are huge tunnels at the Ford Rouge Plant.
Ride a conveyer along side hot ingots.

There's a tunnel under East Jefferson at the Belle Isle Bridge, just don't honk your horn.

Careful, there's a train tunnel behind the MCS to Canada.

Before exploring, get some fresh batteries.

jjaba on the Westside.

Toybreaker
Username: Toybreaker

Post Number: 55
Posted on Wednesday, September 26, 2007 - 1:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice work on the history of the tunnels, I wasn't aware.

Good luck with the photos - the dust is really REALLY thick down there (read: respirator, and a good one), you'll probably have to try some really long exposures with ambient hand-held lights, as when you fire off the flash, it reflects back the dust and ends up looking like you've shot little more than a blizzard.

Hypothetically speaking, of course.

Swgz31
Username: Swgz31

Post Number: 49
Posted on Wednesday, September 26, 2007 - 1:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How do you get into the tunnel by the Belle Isle Bridge?

Fareastsider
Username: Fareastsider

Post Number: 616
Posted on Wednesday, September 26, 2007 - 10:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You will need a time machine for the Belle Isle Tunnel

IS this tunnel in Highland Park at Cortland still open?
http://dlxs.lib.wayne.edu/cgi/ i/image/image-idx?sid=0a86aa48 95c74686febbac477b764a95;med=1;q1=tunnel;rgn1=vmc_all; c=vmc;evl=full-image;quality=1 ;view=entry;subview=detail;las ttype=boolean;cc=vmc;entryid=x -43299;viewid=43299;start=1;re snum=10

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1445
Posted on Wednesday, September 26, 2007 - 12:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There's not a tunnel by the Macarthur Bridge, but there is an old sub-city rail line being reclaimed by nature. Used to dump out at the United States Rubber Company.

Transitrider
Username: Transitrider

Post Number: 22
Posted on Wednesday, September 26, 2007 - 12:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Cortland/2nd Ave tunnel was gated off when I rode by recently.

This link may work better, 2 pictures:

http://dlxs.lib.wayne.edu/cgi/ i/image/image-idx?sid=b8b997ef 640d536f994f3c99dd8969a4&q1=Co rtland&rgn1=vmc_all&op2=And&q2 =Highland+Park&rgn2=vmc_all&ty pe=boolean&med=1&view=thumbnai l&c=vmc

Belle Isle/East Grand Blvd tunnel under Jefferson:
http://internationalmetropolis.com/?p=334

(Message edited by transitrider on September 26, 2007)

Billk
Username: Billk

Post Number: 121
Posted on Wednesday, September 26, 2007 - 12:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

" There's a tunnel under East Jefferson at the Belle Isle Bridge, just don't honk your horn. "

Boy, Jjaba, you really don't get to the East Side much, do you...?

Old_packard
Username: Old_packard

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, September 26, 2007 - 8:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Also,when in the packard tunnel notice the yellow caution tape that reads (CAUTION RADIATION AREA).I have seen it in many places
down there over the years even though lots of it is gone now.

Ventura67
Username: Ventura67

Post Number: 158
Posted on Wednesday, September 26, 2007 - 9:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Under the former passenger platforms of the MCS, the vast baggage area below ground, there is what appeared to be a large entrance through the northeast wall that is solidly concreted up. I can only imagine that it must have led into the salt mines below Detroit, especially considering that the U.S. supposedly stored military equipment in those mines and the train station was such an importance point of transportation during WWII!

Anyone know about this? I always imagined going down there with a jack hammer and seeing where it went.

56packman

Post Number: 1788
Posted on Thursday, September 27, 2007 - 7:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Welcome to the forum, Old Packard. I'm a huge Packard fan, I have a '56 400 2 dr. HT. and used to have space rented at the plant back before the city started the pogram.

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1447
Posted on Thursday, September 27, 2007 - 10:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Any piece of urban lore involving the salt mine should automatically have 50 credibility points deducted from it.

That's still not the silliest myth I've heard. That was Henry Ford's "secret underground railroad underneath Livernois."

I would like to start a myth, if I may: Gar Wood was the inspiration for Tony Stark.

Bussey
Username: Bussey

Post Number: 598
Posted on Thursday, September 27, 2007 - 10:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I still want photos of the Packard Tunnel. I have been there many times and never ever knew it existed.

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 559
Posted on Thursday, September 27, 2007 - 12:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

amazing. i would love to go to the salt mines.

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 1952
Posted on Thursday, September 27, 2007 - 12:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"there is what appeared to be a large entrance through the northeast wall that is solidly concreted up"

thats the tunnel to the Roosevelt Warehouse.

Emuaaron
Username: Emuaaron

Post Number: 26
Posted on Thursday, September 27, 2007 - 1:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

- What'cha doin'?
- Chewin' chocolate
- Where'd you get it?
- Doggie dropped it

Love the Surfers

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1448
Posted on Thursday, September 27, 2007 - 1:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, well I been movin' down to Florida.
And I'm gonna bowl me a perfect game.
Well I'm gonna cut off my leg down in Florida, child.
And I'm gonna dance a-one-legged off in the rain.

Now, they say that Sidney Poitier was a blind man.
And they say that LBJ was a Soviet Jew.
When I go down Florida Way,
They're ain't no kind of sexual healing that I would not, could not, should not do, stick it right here.

Well I been movin' down to Florida.
I'm gonna potty-train the chairman Mao.
I'm gonna make the governor write my doo-doo a letter, child.
And I'm gonna grind me up a White Castle slider out of India's sacred cow.

Well, I been movin' down Florida Way,
And I'm gonna build me the atomic bomb.
Well, I'm gonna hold time hostage down in Florida, child.
Ain't nobody, said ain't nobody gonna tell me what to do. Right here.

By this time I guess you've figured out about Florida.
Turn the muddy water into Vaseline stains.
They be makin' tadpoles the size of Mercuries in Florida.
That be tellin' Julio Iglesias what to sing, now.

Well, whoever said that Sidney Poitier was a blind man,
Knew the same of Elvis Presley, too.
'Cause all the sausages that dance like Ray Bolger on the hood of a car in a traffic jam
Know just exactly.. what to do. Right here:

CUT TO RIDICULOUS BRIDGE LIFTED FROM LED ZEPPELIN

Oakmangirl
Username: Oakmangirl

Post Number: 434
Posted on Thursday, September 27, 2007 - 2:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Would that be from Hairway to Steven?

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 5547
Posted on Thursday, September 27, 2007 - 2:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What, no more E. Jefferson tunnel at Belle Isle bridge?
jjaba was there for Leonard B. Smith concerts on Belle Isle. Other than that, once Lowell took jjaba for an Eastside tour. You are right, jjaba don't get East much.

If you can get in the tunnel, don't honk.

jjaba, Proudly a Westside Bar Mitzvah Bukkor.

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1450
Posted on Thursday, September 27, 2007 - 2:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Moving to Florida? That was Rembrandt Pussyhorse.

Old_packard

Post Number: 2
Posted on Thursday, September 27, 2007 - 11:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks..56packman
So you remember the good old days when all the windows were in.But I still go to the Packard 2 or 3 times a month.Still fun.This forums pretty
informative.Call me dumb,all these years and I thought I was the only one that knew about the tunnel.It was sealed pretty good till someone opened up sooo many doors.Almost everything is open now.From what I can tell there are still 2 company's still using 2 of the buildings.

Old_packard

Post Number: 3
Posted on Thursday, September 27, 2007 - 11:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Question..The Packard..Anyone no who opens everything up once in a while.Fire department?Private company?Maybe just the scrappers?
Some of those big doors weigh hundreds of pounds.Probably close to a thousand (lb).I have seen many times people cutting the doors with torch's, but I don't think there the ones opening everything up.But maybe.

56packman

Post Number: 1795
Posted on Friday, September 28, 2007 - 7:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Old Packard--I was in the president's office in 1982, it was still pretty much left as it was in 1956, when Jim Nance was the last man to occupy that position, and it was remarkably intact. The dark wood paneling of "mahogany row" had been all painted white by then, but the office building was remarkably intact. Our storage unit in the plant area (north section) was on the fourth floor in the building with the large drive-up ramps. After we all got "the letter" from Dennis Archer's minions the goons from Diamond demolition started taking out windows with a vengeance, and taking out wood-framed panels that filled areas that formerly held casement windows, and started making a total mess of the place. It was time to be gone.

Django
Username: Django

Post Number: 134
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 8:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

buttholesurfer IS NO MORE.
I had 2 usernames then realized I wasnt supposed to. I contacted lowell and had him delete buttholesurfer as my second username. Ill miss the name and all the posts from surfer lovers. I will now only be known as my original name "django"

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1468
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 10:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Django: Thanks for at least sparking some demented reminiscences!

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 1963
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 9:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How them rocks doin there, django ?

Etxray
Username: Etxray

Post Number: 4
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 9:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey 56,

My Dad us to share some space on the ground floor next to the ramp with a guy with a couple carribeans, was that you? Also, do you remember all the 60's Lincolns in the main building. My dad ended up with a real nice 63 hard top with low miles on it that was one of them.

56packman

Post Number: 1805
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 10:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, we were up on the fourth floor facing east (the windows looked out over Concorde ave.) the space was clean, and cars stayed perfect there because they were so high off of the ground/dew line. Beat the hell out of rural pole barns, which are moisture/critter havens.

Etxray
Username: Etxray

Post Number: 5
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 11:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My dad then moved up to the second floor right by the ramp.

Rchopko
Username: Rchopko

Post Number: 2
Posted on Friday, October 05, 2007 - 2:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember when I was a kid back in the 70's I went with my Dad to his office a couple of times. It was in the Packard Plant. My Dad worked as an inspector for the US govt and I remember going up several ramps and parking on what seemed to be a deserted plant floor. We would then walk up to a door with a card reader to gain access to offices. What was the status of the Packard Plant in those days? Did they lease space to individual businesses and agencies? Just trying to make sense of my memories...

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.