Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Detroit to Ann Arbor Commute « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Rokk_krinn
Username: Rokk_krinn

Post Number: 57
Posted on Sunday, September 23, 2007 - 9:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am considering taking a job in Ann Arbor, and am wondering if there are any forumers that currently make the trek from metro-Detroit to Ann Arbor? I currently live in Ferndale, and am not excited about the thought of such a long commute. But, it is a good opportunity, and may be worth the commuting time spent until possibly relocating in a couple of years.

I am looking for tips, mass transit ideas, stories, or other suggestions/recommendations for those that have made the commute regularly. Thanks.

Jiscodazz
Username: Jiscodazz

Post Number: 60
Posted on Sunday, September 23, 2007 - 10:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rokk_krinn,

It's the best long commute in the area(at least from Detroit). I live in Woodbridge and it only takes my around 40 minutes each way. Sometime less if I'm really flying. I almost never hit traffic, although if you're coming from Ferndale, 696, 75 and 275 can really suck as you may already know.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 4022
Posted on Sunday, September 23, 2007 - 10:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From Ferndale, get onto I-96 westbound the easiest way and follow that until M-14 starts and then take that into Ann Arbor. It's a clear shot...

The traffic is fairly light until around 6:15 to 6:30 AM. The afternoon drive-time congestion varies. If there is no construction/accidents, it's OK.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 10290
Posted on Sunday, September 23, 2007 - 10:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The snow is pretty.

Some slow down to see it fall.

Many see TOO slow.

(workin' on my haiku on a Sunday moanin'...)

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1726
Posted on Sunday, September 23, 2007 - 11:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"mass transit ideas"

LOL

Best bet might be I-75 south to Davison west to I-96 west to M-14 west. This way (except for I-75 south) you would almost be reverse commuting and you would avoid the hotspots of M-10/696 and I-275/I-96.

Luckycar
Username: Luckycar

Post Number: 43
Posted on Sunday, September 23, 2007 - 11:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Went this way for 27 years.Take 7mile from west from I-275/Haggarty to Pontiac Trail to downtown A2.6Mile is more horse country,still very nice.5 Mile is still dirt going west most of the way,as is Warren Rd.Plymouth/Ann Arbor Trail is nice west of town and moves fast and is somewhat parallel to M-14.M-14 should be okay now that the Wayne County part is done.West of Gotfredson Rd. the road sucks and will be fixed one day.
Coming out of A2 in the 4/5 pm time to the M-14/I-275 interchange can be awful.If it it rains or worse yet snows,your commute can be extended by a half hour.Do a Google earth practice run and see what roads look best for you.Remember that some are still dirt and they can be rough 30mph runs in the best of weather.

Mbr
Username: Mbr

Post Number: 233
Posted on Sunday, September 23, 2007 - 11:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A good friend of mine made the commute from Midtown to Ann Arbor for several months without complaint. From Ferndale might be a different story if it involves 696.

Citylover
Username: Citylover

Post Number: 2641
Posted on Sunday, September 23, 2007 - 11:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where in A2? If on the south side i.e south of main/huron or state/huron 94 is best; anything north of those locales and m14 works_ of course there are any number of ways to go.

Why not just move and rent in the area?

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 4168
Posted on Sunday, September 23, 2007 - 12:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Audio Books. Learn while you drive. So good that sometimes you can't get out of the car when you get there.

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 31
Posted on Sunday, September 23, 2007 - 1:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You can also take I-75 to I-94, which I personally think is faster saving you all the freeway exchanges.

Rbdetsport
Username: Rbdetsport

Post Number: 384
Posted on Sunday, September 23, 2007 - 1:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There soon might be a commuter rail from Pontiac through Detroit too Ann Arbor. So in a few years you probably wont have to worry about relocation.

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 393
Posted on Sunday, September 23, 2007 - 1:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I second audiobooks - am loving my monthly audible membership, you get a book every month and also a discount on other audiobooks you buy on Audible. I also suggest getting into podcasts - they are on pretty much any topic you want and are free.

Have a client who commutes from Harrison Twp. to Ann Arbor - Now THAT is a haul... but the money's good (way more than worth the drive cost) and his wife doesn't want to move. I can think of four people I know, Rokk, who are in your situation as Ann Arbor seems to be the place that's hiring but people don't want to leave their homes or realistically can't or shouldn't sell right now.

Hybridy
Username: Hybridy

Post Number: 154
Posted on Sunday, September 23, 2007 - 1:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

take livernois down to the davison
u can jump on 96 right where the express lanes start-then 14
i can make it from udm to jackson in 1 hour-no traffic
ann arbor not so bad at all

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 4027
Posted on Sunday, September 23, 2007 - 1:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

There soon might be a commuter rail from Pontiac through Detroit too Ann Arbor. So in a few years you probably wont have to worry about relocation.

Soon? Or is that soon might?, meaning when Hell freezes over?

Jiscodazz
Username: Jiscodazz

Post Number: 61
Posted on Sunday, September 23, 2007 - 1:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tons of people I work for in Ann Arbor do the opposite commute, which is much worse. I like
Charlottepaul's idea about 75 to the Davidson to M14. Anything to avoid 696 or 275.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 1685
Posted on Sunday, September 23, 2007 - 1:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The shortest route is I-96 to M-14. Going I-94 will add about 10 miles onto your commute...

Dialh4hipster
Username: Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 2191
Posted on Sunday, September 23, 2007 - 1:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I commuted to A2 from Ferndale for a while about eleven years ago. Honestly, it wasn't really that horrible. 45 minutes most days, going 696 - 275 - 14, final destination off Main Street. There are always slowdowns at the Lodge and Orchard Lake Road heading out, it seems, and 275 and the Lodge heading home.

If you want to cut over to 96 West before 275 - which may not be a bad idea - don't do it on 75 to Davison. That takes you too far east on 96 and you'll just be doubling back, plus traveling on Davison from the Lodge to 96 is surface streets with lots of lights.

I always prefer the M-14 route because there are fewer trucks than I-94, generally fewer cops, especially once you are out of Wayne County (watch it around Beck Road), and the drive on 14 is really quite beautiful, in contrast with the badlands heading west on 94.

Oakmangirl
Username: Oakmangirl

Post Number: 418
Posted on Sunday, September 23, 2007 - 2:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I made a similar commute in the recent past. Some tips:

Every year there is construction on M-14. Right now it narrows down to one lane around Ford Rd. Buy a good atlas to learn a back road route.

Mass transit? Create your own. AA provides several commuter lots with bus service or you might carpool; I did that for two years.

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1732
Posted on Sunday, September 23, 2007 - 2:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Buy a good atlas to learn a back road route."

Generally once you get out m-14 way, Plymouth-Ann Arbor Road is a good alternate. The road is called Ann Arbor Road in Plymouth and Plymouth Road in Ann Arbor and Plymouth-Ann Arbor Road in between.

Downtown_remix
Username: Downtown_remix

Post Number: 497
Posted on Sunday, September 23, 2007 - 2:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Havent heard much lately about the proposed ann arbor-detroit (new center) Amtrack commuter line, but i believe they were originally hoping for operation to begin by years end, but later sayed more like early next year.

Oakmangirl

Post Number: 419
Posted on Sunday, September 23, 2007 - 4:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Plymouth-Ann Arbor Road can be a decent alternative; however, it's one lane for a long stretch and traffic is bumper to bumper Westbound during the AM rush. I'd consider I-96 to US-23 South or learning other back routes like N. Territorial or Pontiac Trail.

Zephyrprocess
Username: Zephyrprocess

Post Number: 469
Posted on Sunday, September 23, 2007 - 4:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Best routes may also depend on where in Ann Arbor your destination lies. Getting to the industrial park on the south end near the Ann Arbor airport is a different game than Dominos Farms, or Stadium & Liberty.

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 3474
Posted on Sunday, September 23, 2007 - 4:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The worst part will be the traffic in Ann Arbor. You'll spend half the commute getting to US-23, and the other half driving through Ann Arbor.

Oakmangirl

Post Number: 421
Posted on Sunday, September 23, 2007 - 4:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Uh, something tells me that at this point, he might just not take the job %-)

Yeti
Username: Yeti

Post Number: 1
Posted on Sunday, September 23, 2007 - 9:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I always take 23N to 14E/96E to M39/Southfield North when I have to Work in Southfield. Which is about twice a week. I live on the South Side of Ann Arbor. I can make it to the the Lodge and Lasher in 30 min going that way, 14-275-696 always takes 45+

Trainman
Username: Trainman

Post Number: 528
Posted on Sunday, September 23, 2007 - 9:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You could take the SMART bus to Wayne and use the bike rack. Then bike to Ypsi and take the bike racked AATA bus to AA.

Professorscott
Username: Professorscott

Post Number: 781
Posted on Sunday, September 23, 2007 - 10:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's a shame that AATA doesn't meet up with SMART. Not unheard of as a concept, even around here: SMART meets up with Flint MTA at that big shopping center in Auburn Hills. (What the hell is it called?) It seems it would make even more sense in this situation. You can get from Flint to metro Detroit by bus, but not Ann Arbor to metro Detroit.

Train's right, if you're willing to make that bike ride you're OK, but there are weather conditions under which that would be moderately unpleasant. The biggest concern I would have is the bike racks are frequently all full up, unless you get on near the beginning of a route.

As far as that commuter rail thing goes, maybe, but think: is somebody going to take a job based on how they might be able to commute a year or two, or six, from now? Doubtful.

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 192
Posted on Sunday, September 23, 2007 - 10:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i guess the solution is move closer to work.

Professorscott
Username: Professorscott

Post Number: 782
Posted on Monday, September 24, 2007 - 12:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lefty,

I know that sounds reasonable but moving is an enormous pain in the ass, and just try selling a house around here nowadays. As it is, Rokk said he might relocate eventually. The problem is, what does he do for the time being?

In a volatile job market such as we have around here, it's frequently necessary to consider changing jobs, but you can't expect everyone to move every time that happens. I'd like to work closer to home myself, but there aren't any opportunities near where I live. Times are tough, in case you haven't been reading the papers.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 5393
Posted on Monday, September 24, 2007 - 1:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It used to take me 1 hour to drive I-94 from SCS to Ann Arbor (Hoover Rd. near State Street & Washtenaw).

Ann Arbor has great services, except for 1 thing... they don't like to salt their roads (or if they do, they really scrimp on it). I remember one time after a winter snow storm where it took me 1 hour just to get to State Street on a Monday morning (I-94 was salted). And then it took me another 45 minutes just to make the 2 1/2 miles up State St. to Hoover. The snow turned to slush the previous day (Sunday), and Ann Arbor roads froze overnight to a Monday morning sheet of ice. Even by Monday afternoon it was still a sheet of ice.

Someone was really asleep on the job that day, because State Street and Eisenhower Street were like parking lots the entire day.

You also might notice that once you leave Wayne County, the freeways are often more ice and snow covered in Washtenaw County.

P.S. They really need to add a 3rd lane to I-94 between US-23 and State Street.

Hpgrmln
Username: Hpgrmln

Post Number: 186
Posted on Monday, September 24, 2007 - 7:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not to be discouraging but I left a job after getting tired of the commute every day for over a year.
Hazel Park to Belleville. 696 to 275, keep going south.
75 miles round trip every day.
Got a job in Downtown Detroit. 20 minutes. Im spoiled.
just my 2 cents worth.

Citylover
Username: Citylover

Post Number: 2643
Posted on Monday, September 24, 2007 - 7:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good points gistock

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 92
Posted on Monday, September 24, 2007 - 8:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dear Rokk-

You have received a lot of great advice about the best route to travel, personally Livernois to the Davison/ 96 to 14 sound interesting, but below are a couple of links to find a rideshare partner.

good luck

http://mdotwas1.mdot.state.mi. us/public/rideshare/map.cfm?id =

http://www.semcog.org/Services /CommuterPrograms/RideShare/

http://www.erideshare.com/carp ool.php?dstate=MI

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1734
Posted on Monday, September 24, 2007 - 8:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I-96 to US-23 South"
Yikes! That is way out the way!

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 2412
Posted on Monday, September 24, 2007 - 9:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I drove from Huntington Woods (near Ferndale) through Ann Arbor and on to Jackson a couple days a week for 8 years or so, through all kinds of weather, construction projects, etc. I have tried lots of routes and schemes.

Generally the best bet is to leave by 7:00am or so, maybe 7:15 and take 696, to 275, M-14 to where ever in AA. Once you get past the Telegraph/NW Hwy mess it was pretty much clear sailing. The problem with the Southfield Fwy is if anyone had a flat, got pulled over or there was an accident - it turned into a parking lot. Not enough lanes to absorb any obstruction. That is in the AM

In the PM, I would take m-14 to 96 to either the Southfield or I would take Schafer (Coolidge Hwy) from i 96 to Huntington Woods

Applesauce
Username: Applesauce

Post Number: 86
Posted on Monday, September 24, 2007 - 2:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've been making the trek to A2 from Harper Woods for about 14 years. Like most people say, it's not that bad. I've had an iPod for the last 5-6 years which definately helps! I drive 94-96-14 most days, & some days 94 depending on which has more construction/delays. Most trips take 45-50 minutes.

Darwinism
Username: Darwinism

Post Number: 668
Posted on Monday, September 24, 2007 - 3:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you've got to make a living, then you've got to get yourself there. Of course it would be nice to be able to hop on a rapid transit mode of transportation, like it is in NYC, Boston, SF, and other cities, but that is not an option here in our neck of the woods. I believe most of us would rather leave the driving to someone else, but we can't.

There is no doubt you will run into traffic congestion during rush hour, it is a sure bet in the 'Mixing Bowl' area of I-696 at Telegraph. There are often other points of traffic jam as well. Obviously, the more you can keep yourself occupied such as audiobooks, music, etc. - the less you will be tempted to succumb to 'road rage'. Start listening to AM950 for a few days now during the times that you expect to be on the roads - it should help you visualize the problem routes.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 2714
Posted on Monday, September 24, 2007 - 3:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stay out of the mixing bowl, especially for afternoon rush hour. Try this out, 8 Mile West to M-5. 8 Mile always moves along well, and the lights are timed. You can maintain a consistent 45mph all the way to M-5. You will not get a consistent 45mph on 696 during rush hour. Once you're there you can hop onto 96 or 275. This may shave a little bit off your commute time.

Rokk_krinn
Username: Rokk_krinn

Post Number: 58
Posted on Saturday, September 29, 2007 - 9:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks everyone for the stories & tips. I am going to do a trial run on Thursday, see for myself.

Goblue
Username: Goblue

Post Number: 407
Posted on Saturday, September 29, 2007 - 12:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rokk: If you're thinking about relocating to AA this is the time to do it...housing there is in a serious depression...a friend of mine just bought a house on the eastside of the city for $365K that had sold for $540K less than two years ago...I'm assuming that kind of price drop applies to all levels of housing and extends through the entire area.

Perfectgentleman
Username: Perfectgentleman

Post Number: 3079
Posted on Saturday, September 29, 2007 - 12:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What happened to the light rail system that was being studied to the tune of 100 million dollars? What a joke.

Danindc
Username: Danindc

Post Number: 3364
Posted on Saturday, September 29, 2007 - 1:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

What happened to the light rail system that was being studied to the tune of 100 million dollars? What a joke.

They're still studying the commuter rail line, with the intent of implementing a demonstration project (you know, to show that absolutely no one will ride it):

www.annarbordetroitrapidtransi tstudy.com

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 86
Posted on Saturday, September 29, 2007 - 2:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I mean what will be the purpose of a Ann Arbor line. Just like you deemed the Lansing line pointless, I will deem this one pointless.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 3371
Posted on Saturday, September 29, 2007 - 4:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sprout wings. Flap vigorously. :-)

No, seriously, would an ultralight be a viable commute option to A2? It sure would be fun!

Margaret
Username: Margaret

Post Number: 187
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 12:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LMAO! I am having visions of this poor commuter trying to fly an ultralight in a Michigan blizzard or thunderstorm. omg...just move! or perhaps rent a bedroom in one of those collegiate houses so you can stay a few nights each week...then only commute on weekends, something like that. holy #$%$# LOL

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 10286
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 12:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rokk - Have you checked into carpools? The distance and time (depending upon exactly where in AA and Detroit) aren't that bad.

To put it in perspective the distance from downtime to AA is about 25 miles on the freeway, the bulk of which is 70MPH. The 30 miles on the freeway is an easy drive but it is the time to get to the freeway and your office from the freeway that will really make or break your commute.

How did the trial run go?

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1122
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 12:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I commuted from Detroit to EMU daily and it wasn't that bad. On the bad days it took 1.5 hours, but if you know this going into it... it's not that big of a deal.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 10287
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 12:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How did it take 1.5 hours. Was traffic that bad during rush hour, construction, etc?

I can usually get there is about 35 minutes but it is never during rush hour times.

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1123
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 12:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It took that long @ @ 430-500 on my way to evening class.

I live @75 and 7 mile, so 45 minutes is normal for me.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.