Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Fine Arts owner found dead « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 2808
Posted on Sunday, September 23, 2007 - 11:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In the "Wonderful night in the D!" thread, Dialh mentioned a death at the Fine Arts.

Turns out it was the owner - http://www.clickondetroit.com/ news/14183651/detail.html

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1609
Posted on Sunday, September 23, 2007 - 11:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

man what an f'ed up town

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 2194
Posted on Sunday, September 23, 2007 - 11:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lovely

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 10293
Posted on Sunday, September 23, 2007 - 11:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Two shots to the head.

She really pissed somebody off.

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 423
Posted on Sunday, September 23, 2007 - 11:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Seems a little extreme to get even that way.
Guess subtlety isn't someone's strong suit.

Gannon

Post Number: 10296
Posted on Sunday, September 23, 2007 - 11:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is our new whodunnit.

I wonder who those she had 'public fights' with are...it surely must be someone with a huge ego or much to lose...or both.

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 868
Posted on Sunday, September 23, 2007 - 11:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If I were one of the people who was feuding with her I'd be expecting a knock on the door.

If I were one of the people who found her I think I'd have large amounts of alcohol in my system. How do you get over finding someone with two bullet holes in their head?

Themax
Username: Themax

Post Number: 842
Posted on Sunday, September 23, 2007 - 11:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why wasn't the woman named in the news article? Saying she owned the Fine Arts Theatre should identify her to family. And what is the Fine Arts Theatre?

Cambeaux
Username: Cambeaux

Post Number: 11
Posted on Sunday, September 23, 2007 - 12:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought the owner was Shahida Mausi of the Right Productions - the people who operate and book concerts for Chene Park. I hope this is not true. It would be a HUGE loss if it is.

Mbr
Username: Mbr

Post Number: 234
Posted on Sunday, September 23, 2007 - 1:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't believe Right Productions owns the building.

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2487
Posted on Sunday, September 23, 2007 - 1:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That explains why a Fox2 cameraman was shooting photos outside the Fine Arts Theatre building around 12 noon today. We were checking out the Crystal Lofts development after breakfast downtown and saw the camera guy filming the building. Thought he was just taking stock footage for an event.

(Message edited by Kathleen on September 23, 2007)

Mbr

Post Number: 235
Posted on Sunday, September 23, 2007 - 1:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's a State of Michigan Court of Appeals decision regarding ownership of the Theatre:

http://www.michbar.org/opinion s/appeals/2007/051007/35901.pd f

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1728
Posted on Sunday, September 23, 2007 - 1:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"They said they are not surprised she was killed because she had been in several public fights with people."

"One witness, who did not want to be identified, said she had been threatened publicly. She was even driving a rental car because she said she was being followed, according to the witness."

Yikes! What kind of theatre business was this?

Paulmcall

Post Number: 425
Posted on Sunday, September 23, 2007 - 4:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just business as usual in Detroit. Guess someone hasn't had a class in conflict resolution.

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1430
Posted on Sunday, September 23, 2007 - 4:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Remember, folks, use "I" statements.

Example: I wish you'd step back a bit. I feel uncomfortable.

Don't use "YNT" statements.

Example: You need to back da phuck up!

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 1688
Posted on Sunday, September 23, 2007 - 4:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^LOL!

But seriously, this sounds like a hit. Any divorces or estranged husbands in her past?

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 5389
Posted on Sunday, September 23, 2007 - 5:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Isn't Shahida Mausi the daughter of the late Joyce Garrett, long time "companion" of Coleman A. Young?

Chow
Username: Chow

Post Number: 426
Posted on Sunday, September 23, 2007 - 5:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ah, i was wondering why the police presence outside the building last night. now i know...

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 883
Posted on Sunday, September 23, 2007 - 5:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Charlottepaul did it!

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 190
Posted on Sunday, September 23, 2007 - 6:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From my limited observation, I deduct that someone was owed money, maybe from a junior lien or other interest in the building, or wanted control of the building. The people who have a interest as future owners or benefactors may be looked at , but this is just a guess.

Sstashmoo
Username: Sstashmoo

Post Number: 419
Posted on Sunday, September 23, 2007 - 6:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This sounds like somebody didnt pay for their drugs.

Dialh4hipster
Username: Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 2192
Posted on Sunday, September 23, 2007 - 7:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK we have two guesses. Anyone else want to play armchair Columbo?

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 88
Posted on Sunday, September 23, 2007 - 8:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As the facts come in use this cheat sheet:

Back 'o head is from Western UNion: it sends a message to someone else.

Frontal, is debt collection.

First shot is for dead, second is for insurance on the first. More than two and you either are mad or afraid. Multipal shots denote emotional involvement.

Anybody know where Joel Loving, er, Coleman Jr was last night?

Mrsjdaniels
Username: Mrsjdaniels

Post Number: 251
Posted on Sunday, September 23, 2007 - 10:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hope it is not Shahidi either...I know her son and I do not want to see im loose his mother.

please let me know before I call him

Mbr

Post Number: 236
Posted on Sunday, September 23, 2007 - 11:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The article states it was the "owner" of the building. Shahidi is not the owner as far as I know. There have been some ownership disputes in court in clearing the title as posted earlier. The link above from the Court of Appeals lists several names of owners, none of them being Shahidi. I would hate to speculate on such a matter and it's probably best to wait until more facts are known before calling anybody.

Swingline
Username: Swingline

Post Number: 900
Posted on Monday, September 24, 2007 - 10:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The victim at the Fine Arts was Valerie Atikian. http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20070924/M ETRO01/709240302/1006. She has been involved with the theater for several years.

While this is a terrible crime, there certainly exists the possibility that it was not random. The theater was involved in several sketchy transactions that resulted in some outside investors loaning several hundred thousand dollars for renovations and getting conned out of their money. The victim was personally involved in these transactions. (See the Court of Appeals decision.)

The Fine Arts has for many years passed through the hands of all kinds of upstanding Detroit citizens, including that famous Brush Park drug kingpin (whose name escapes me right now) who got gunned down outside his Brush Park party store about ten years ago. He laundered his money by buying up all kinds of property and the Fine Arts was in his "portfolio" at the time of his death. His "extended family" fought for many years over the scraps, which included some fairly large sums received for property condemned by the Stadium Authority.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 6572
Posted on Monday, September 24, 2007 - 10:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

An act of vengance in the ghettos of Detroit what a terrible waist of time.

Upinottawa
Username: Upinottawa

Post Number: 954
Posted on Monday, September 24, 2007 - 10:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

waste, Danny.

Spitty
Username: Spitty

Post Number: 616
Posted on Monday, September 24, 2007 - 11:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Incredible Waist of Time

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 873
Posted on Tuesday, September 25, 2007 - 8:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Another article.
http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20070925/M ETRO/709250375/1003/rss36

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 6580
Posted on Tuesday, September 25, 2007 - 9:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This could be a case of FOUL PLAY!

Paulmcall

Post Number: 426
Posted on Tuesday, September 25, 2007 - 9:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Paybacks are a bitch

Mrsjdaniels
Username: Mrsjdaniels

Post Number: 254
Posted on Tuesday, September 25, 2007 - 9:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thank you...I knew Shahidi didn't own the building - however, the news these days isnt the most accurate

Gnome

Post Number: 98
Posted on Tuesday, September 25, 2007 - 10:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, Albanians, er, don't know if a lot of people know this, but there is concept called the "Kanun of Leke Dukagjin", or "Code of Lek", that regulates revenge killings.

Leke Dukagjin was a 15th Century Albanian Prince that was getting tired of the willy-nilly murders and evil spells that were being done by - and to - his citizens.

Gosh, dear ol Leke invented a code of revenge that dictates the type, style and extent of revenge one can take against their neighbor. No longer can you chop off your neighbor's hand because he stole your chicken; no, you can kill his goat, nothing more.

Everything in the Albanian Lek Code is laid out. Adultary with your daughter-in-law? yep, there is a punishment. Accidental death of your cousin's son? Yep, it's covered. Stealing water, horses, coffee pots? yep, yep and yep.

For murder, there are even methods that are dictated. guns, knives, swords everything is covered. Even where you can inflict the fatal blow.

You can think of the Code of Lek as REVENGIPEDIA.

Whenever an Albanian is killed, it's best to break out your copy of the Lek Code. Oh, yeah, you can also bet that a few more trunks are going to be found with people inside.

Stand by.

Now, is it fair of me to imply that all Albanians live by the Lek Code? Is it fair to make a broad generalization across an entire ethnic group? Is it right, or PC, to cast aspersions without any facts to back up my theory?

No, but it's a good place to start.

Downtownguy
Username: Downtownguy

Post Number: 62
Posted on Tuesday, September 25, 2007 - 10:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^The owner was Armenian, not Albanian.

(Message edited by downtownguy on September 25, 2007)

Gannon

Post Number: 10365
Posted on Tuesday, September 25, 2007 - 10:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, we went from two to the front to ONE to the rear (in this latest News story)...

...what do each of those indicate in the Lek code of ethics?!

Gnome

Post Number: 99
Posted on Tuesday, September 25, 2007 - 10:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

gannon-

my code book is rather dusty, but since I mis-read the article, I must confess that my theory is completely wrong.

d-townguy -
thank you for setting me straight, and for calling me a "genius", that is so kind of you.

Downtownguy

Post Number: 63
Posted on Tuesday, September 25, 2007 - 10:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, that was snarky. I guess you saw it before I edited it. Sorry.

Gnome

Post Number: 100
Posted on Tuesday, September 25, 2007 - 10:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wouldn't call it "snarky" because snarky denotes a level of insight or cleverness that was absent from your editorial comment.

That is an example of "snarky".

Downtownguy

Post Number: 65
Posted on Tuesday, September 25, 2007 - 3:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, I guess you are a genius after all.

Rocket_city
Username: Rocket_city

Post Number: 405
Posted on Tuesday, September 25, 2007 - 8:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I crossed the sister before and noticed that her character was very forceful, tenacious and unappologetic...businesslike in that she would get what she wanted by working for it.

I feel for the family and am sorry this happened. Especially in our community that we're trying to glorify.

Spidergirl
Username: Spidergirl

Post Number: 314
Posted on Wednesday, September 26, 2007 - 6:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

While the Detroit News article claims she is from Southfield, she has(had) the unit next to mine in Merchant's Row. I always wondered what she did for a living - she never seemed to be here. Sad.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.