Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Update on GP Central Library designed by Breuer « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2490
Posted on Sunday, September 23, 2007 - 3:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

John Gallagher's column in today's Freep updates the decision to raze the Marcel Breuer-designed Grosse Pointe Central Library. It seems that the GP Library Board will vote to approve a plan to expand the building rather than destroy it.

A NEW CHAPTER: Library expansion would save a gem

"Six months ago, the Grosse Pointe Central Library looked like a goner.

This gem of modernist architecture by mid-century master Marcel Breuer was threatened with demolition for all the usual reasons.

Library functions had outgrown Breuer's building, which opened in 1953. Parking was an issue. The library board, which had already built two new branch libraries in recent years, discussed razing Breuer's building and starting over.

Word of those discussions provoked outrage among many in Grosse Pointe and across the nation who appreciated Breuer's elegant designs. E-mails poured in, some angry, some pleading.

As a result, a region that celebrates too few preservation victories appears to have a major one shaping up. The Grosse Pointe Library Board now seems likely to approve a plan soon that will save Breuer's building and add onto it in a thoughtful, restrained manner.

It's not a done deal. If the library board approves the new plan, it will still need to seek approvals from various boards and (no small matter) try to raise the $20 million or more needed to make it happen.

But the movement toward demolition of yet another southeast Michigan architectural landmark has been blunted, and perhaps stopped. And that's worth celebrating. ...."

Full article at: http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20070923/NEW S02/709230586/1001/NEWS

Previous threads:
Grosse Pointe Central Library is slated for razing
https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/91697/91745.html

Marcel Breuer Grosse Pointe Central Library
https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/91697/98315.html

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 4958
Posted on Sunday, September 23, 2007 - 3:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

$20 mil sounds like a lot. How will they come up with that cash? Donations and fundraisers only go so far even in GP. maybe the Ford Foundation can pitch in eh? lol

Kathinozarks
Username: Kathinozarks

Post Number: 884
Posted on Sunday, September 23, 2007 - 4:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is wonderful news. I'm breathing a sigh of relief.
Thanks for posting the news!

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 3704
Posted on Sunday, September 23, 2007 - 5:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wouldn't miss that building, but I don't trust the to build a decent quality new one, considering the design disasters that are the new branches in GP Park and GP Woods. The addition would really have to be built up, no? They are on a very small block. They could also build over where the current parking alley is and make parking underground.

Dds
Username: Dds

Post Number: 346
Posted on Sunday, September 23, 2007 - 6:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And what is so wrong with the Park and Woods branches? Very welcoming and comfortable. Not necessarily spectacular on the outside, but the usability of those two branches is wonderful, especially when considering the previous locations.

Dialh4hipster
Username: Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 2193
Posted on Sunday, September 23, 2007 - 7:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I didn't appreciate that building when I was young either, Mackinaw, and I grew up there too.

Give it a little time and a little more education and you might feel differently.

If that building were cleaned up and de-cluttered, I think people would appreciate it more. Keep the main building for kid's library, reading room, periodicals, conference room, maybe computer lab. Put the rest in the new addition.

That building would be a stunner.

Scs100
Username: Scs100

Post Number: 1495
Posted on Sunday, September 23, 2007 - 8:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Believe me, I work there and I don't particularly like it. I don't know if anyone went to the presentation, but setting up for that thing was really annoying. We had to tear down the entire front area, move all of those tables to the back, and set up the chairs for people to sit in. We need a separate presentation area, badly. Hope this goes well.

Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 2195
Posted on Sunday, September 23, 2007 - 9:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry to hear the architecture makes your job annoying.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 3707
Posted on Tuesday, September 25, 2007 - 3:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dds, the problem is just that: the exterior design. Functionally they're fine, but a lot of ugly things are functional. GP tends to have some high standards for design. They've been lowered significantly lately.

I don't think education (about modern architecture, I presume), will make me appreciate it more, Dialh. I can live with it though, especially with some of the faceless postmodern designs that are the alternatives. The current building is of a vintage that I just will never like, but I understand that it was produced by a noted architect, and there is always the chance that it will become more graceful with age (or some additions).

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1961
Posted on Tuesday, September 25, 2007 - 8:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It looks like October 22 is the date set when the Library Board will vote on the fate of the Central Library. What's 24 million among friends. It's only money.

Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 2201
Posted on Wednesday, September 26, 2007 - 10:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I don't think education (about modern architecture, I presume), will make me appreciate it more, Dialh. I can live with it though, especially with some of the faceless postmodern designs that are the alternatives. The current building is of a vintage that I just will never like

Never say never. When I was right out of college I was working in DC wearing seersucker suits and bowties, in love with neo-anything architecture and going for a very studied Ralph Lauren vibe in my townhouse flat.

Things change ...

Dds
Username: Dds

Post Number: 363
Posted on Wednesday, September 26, 2007 - 10:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Functionally they're fine, but a lot of ugly things are functional.

Does form follow function, or function follow form? Granted, they may not be the prettiest, but if you're going to focus on the outer beauty of a building like a library, which will have a limited construction budget to begin with, you are going to sacrifice space, accessibility, usability, comfort on the inside. I would want to feel comfortable and like I was able to get all my information needs met at the library, rather than sit outside and bask in its grace and sagacious presence (so to speak).

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 6594
Posted on Wednesday, September 26, 2007 - 10:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looks like the rick folks in Snobbyville rather save the money rather than spend it on a building for books.

Detourdetroit
Username: Detourdetroit

Post Number: 341
Posted on Wednesday, September 26, 2007 - 3:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

for a long time i hated modern architecture. i still think its misappropriation by planners and developers over the past 50+ years has had a devastating impact on urbanity. however, i've grown to love modern architecture over time, especially when done right - it can really be sublime. the problem with modern buildings is that it's hard to do em right and so easy to do em wrong...90%+ of what has been built is CRAP...imho....

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.