Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Jazz music at Cliff Bells « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Postbop
Username: Postbop

Post Number: 3
Posted on Sunday, September 23, 2007 - 11:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Has anyone been to the new jazz club in Detroit, Cliff Bells? It's an incredible experience; the place is done up in art-deco design and has a huge stage with a grand piano. It's like walking into the 1930s.

I highly recommend the 16-piece big band on Wednesday nights, but they have jazz 5 nights a week.

Has anyone heard any good jazz groups there?
Anyone have an opinion on the place?

Rjlj
Username: Rjlj

Post Number: 397
Posted on Monday, September 24, 2007 - 12:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Really great asset to the downtown area. I like it a lot.

Tkshreve
Username: Tkshreve

Post Number: 172
Posted on Monday, September 24, 2007 - 12:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

look for Hot Club of Detroit down there. They play some mean gypsy jazz. I heard they even have this one dude that shreds on a guitar PA.

Dialh4hipster
Username: Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 2196
Posted on Monday, September 24, 2007 - 2:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's awesome, although not exactly new. It pre-opened for the superbowl, and officially opened a few months later.

Irish_mafia
Username: Irish_mafia

Post Number: 1046
Posted on Monday, September 24, 2007 - 5:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

and my mother used to there...

It is a good time

Postbop

Post Number: 4
Posted on Monday, September 24, 2007 - 6:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

With the Centaur, Towne Pump, the new Park Bar, and all of the construction going on, maybe Park Ave. will have a cool nightclub scene. It would be a dream to be able to walk Park Ave. from I-75 to Grand Circus Park with a nightclub or bar at every turn.

Driving down Park last night, I saw new lights on in a finished lobby, kitty-corner to the Towne Pump. There has been a lot of construction there lately. Has anyone else seen this?

Downtown_remix
Username: Downtown_remix

Post Number: 499
Posted on Monday, September 24, 2007 - 7:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

both the womans club and detroit life building are under redevelopment. hey postbop..i think your dream will come true. Shields pizza will soon anchor the corner of park and grand circus. 75 and park will be the (red wings cafe),,,,lol

Daf
Username: Daf

Post Number: 26
Posted on Monday, September 24, 2007 - 1:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I made it to a jam session there a few weeks back. Good band. So good, I was afraid to sit in.

Nice to hear a guitar without a Marshall stack behind it for a change.

Love the ceiling there. I want one for my bedroom, LOL. Never seen anything like it.

Motorcitydave
Username: Motorcitydave

Post Number: 99
Posted on Monday, September 24, 2007 - 3:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Shields pizza will soon anchor the corner of park and grand circus"

Yeah, it's set to open in the summer of 2007.... ;)

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1437
Posted on Monday, September 24, 2007 - 3:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you jazz-lovers go, please do try to dress up a little. I saw some guys with flip-flops and shorts and T's. Bleeccchhh. Go in style, dude.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 2727
Posted on Monday, September 24, 2007 - 5:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wore a nice burgundy shirt with a pin stripe vest there one time. Only to find it was basically the uniform of the bar staff. They asked me if I was there to help out. Kinda embarrassing, but mostly just funny.

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1439
Posted on Monday, September 24, 2007 - 5:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

John: Haha. That's rich!

They need the help, frankly. Something about clubs with music: They never get the service right, it seems.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 2728
Posted on Monday, September 24, 2007 - 5:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's why I always get there a tad early and procure a seat at the bar. Only downside is you'll occasionally get the frustrated folks asking you to get the bartender's attention for them or order a drink for them.

Postbop

Post Number: 5
Posted on Tuesday, September 25, 2007 - 2:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I do get bummed out about the parking around Cliff Bells or lack thereof. It's too bad that all of the gravel lots are fenced in now.

It's weird to have streets lined with cars, people fighting for spots, and vast parking lots all empty, with no game or Fox act in town.

Seeing that Olympia owns most of the lots near Park Ave., and Cliff Bells not having any tie to Illitch, I guess it would be logical to assume that he wouldn't just go ahead and let people park in his lots.

The thought aggravates me as I walk from Cliff Bells to my car parked on Grand River (BFE) at 2:15am.

I know that the owner, Paul, is a great guy and is constantly working to improve the club, so who knows? I did hear that they will be opening a kitchen soon in late Fall.

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1440
Posted on Tuesday, September 25, 2007 - 10:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Haha. Last thing that place needs is a kitchen. They can't even get you a drink! But that's OK, we come for the crowd and the music, dig?

Swingline
Username: Swingline

Post Number: 904
Posted on Tuesday, September 25, 2007 - 10:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thread jack. A cool sounding trio was playing on the sidewalk patio at The Woodward last night. A warm evening, great sounds and an attractive crowd added up to a small but cool and welcome city experience.

Jazzstage
Username: Jazzstage

Post Number: 118
Posted on Tuesday, September 25, 2007 - 12:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Agreed, Paul is truly stellar. We have brought a couple acts into Cliff's and it is a great room especially now that he has the sound board happening. I have never had a problem getting a drink but I am usually at the bar. I will let Paul know the complaint. He will make sure his staff is more attentive.

I wish it was less of a meat market and more of a listening room. I am not there to be seen, I go there to see (and hear). Nevertheless, I understand the draw. People want to be around a beautiful place and beautiful people. Nice to have another room supporting Detroit's Jazz elite.

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 2437
Posted on Tuesday, September 25, 2007 - 12:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Now all we need is another Flame Show Bar for the blues!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.