Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Anyone have pics of freighter on it's side in Detroit River? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Corktown_paddy
Username: Corktown_paddy

Post Number: 21
Posted on Monday, September 24, 2007 - 1:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This was in the late 50's.
There was a collision of sorts in the Detroit River between two lakers. One ended up on it's side in the river not far from the bridge.
Anybody happen to have a photo (or two) of it?

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1958
Posted on Monday, September 24, 2007 - 1:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In July of 1962, the freighter, Montrose, was sunk by Captain Becker's barge near the bridge and blocked shipping for quite a while. The bell from the Montrose was presented to the Dossin Museum by its captain (who lost his license).
I am not sure that is the collision you refer to.

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 5546
Posted on Monday, September 24, 2007 - 1:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In 1962, The Rock was a big-timey lawyer who lurked freighters with his telescope from the penthouse at The Guardian Bldg.

Call us Rock when you get to 2,000 posts.
Being a double centarian brooks no demeaning.

jjaba, Westsider.

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 806
Posted on Monday, September 24, 2007 - 1:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://info.detnews.com/histor y/story/index.cfm?id=164&categ ory=events

Rb336
Username: Rb336

Post Number: 2489
Posted on Monday, September 24, 2007 - 1:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Billybbrew
Username: Billybbrew

Post Number: 295
Posted on Monday, September 24, 2007 - 2:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One of the most haunting photos I've ever seen was the similar to the above photo, but with the Captain standing alone on the side of the ship. Very moving...Tony Spina always had a way of capturing the moment.

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1962
Posted on Tuesday, September 25, 2007 - 8:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I believe the late that Bob Lee, former curator of the Dossin Museum, had that photo you mentioned, hanging on his wall behind his desk.
Right you are, haunting it was. The Montrose was raised and lived to sail again under a different name, but I don't know if Captain Eyre-Walker ever returned to the Great Lakes again.

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 3479
Posted on Tuesday, September 25, 2007 - 9:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is a statue (of St Peter?) in front of St Peter the Apostle Catholic Church in Harper Woods that was salvaged from the Montrose. The church acquired it much later, sometime in the 1980s. I can't remember the reason the church has it or why it took so long to take possession of it.

Dan_the_man
Username: Dan_the_man

Post Number: 40
Posted on Tuesday, September 25, 2007 - 2:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

actually that statue got vandalized a few years ago and has since been replaced with a new statue that looks exactly the same, but it gold instead of white marble.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.