Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Strike Against GM Begins » Archive through September 24, 2007 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Elsuperbob
Username: Elsuperbob

Post Number: 78
Posted on Monday, September 24, 2007 - 12:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just saw this pop up...

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20070923/BUS INESS01/70923052

I wonder how a more European way of striking would work here. Rather than strike until an agreement is reached, set day long strikes for specific days. Or would the more fractured organization of unions here preclude something like that?

Yvette248
Username: Yvette248

Post Number: 954
Posted on Monday, September 24, 2007 - 5:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wonder what's the odds of this really happening? Five bucks to the best guesser.

Cincinnati_kid
Username: Cincinnati_kid

Post Number: 12
Posted on Monday, September 24, 2007 - 7:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm willing to bet they announce a tentative agreement at 11AM instead of a strike. It's nothing but window dressing by the UAW

Scottr
Username: Scottr

Post Number: 766
Posted on Monday, September 24, 2007 - 8:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A strike of any significant length will only hurt both parties, so i expect an agreement within a matter of a day or two, if not hours, of any strike.

Pffft
Username: Pffft

Post Number: 1373
Posted on Monday, September 24, 2007 - 8:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's a refreshing story advising people to stop blaming unions:

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20070924/O PINION03/709240301

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1735
Posted on Monday, September 24, 2007 - 9:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This group has ads on TV here in Charlotte telling you to check out their web site: http://www.ufcwexposed.com/

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 2692
Posted on Monday, September 24, 2007 - 9:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My prediction: The UAW leaders are posturing for the benefit of their members. They are trying to appear they are fighting tooth and nail, because the truth is they are going to have to make some concessions/changes that will be hard to swallow. They can't just walk in and come to an agreement on these things right away, it would look weak on their part.

Elsuperbob

Post Number: 79
Posted on Monday, September 24, 2007 - 10:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree that it probably is just posturing and we'll get a few of these. And I agree if there is a significant strike it will only hurt themselves by hurting GM. That's why I'm wondering if day long strikes would be better. It would cause headaches at GM but not necessarily hurt GM to the point where the UAW may be hurting itself.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 6573
Posted on Monday, September 24, 2007 - 10:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

SOLIDARITY FOREVER Strike Strike Strike!

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 4038
Posted on Monday, September 24, 2007 - 11:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Notice the lack of interest in GM and the UAW...

Drudge has nothing about any possible GM strike among its thirty-some lead stories. There's not much interest here either.

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 4169
Posted on Monday, September 24, 2007 - 11:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is on.

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 2745
Posted on Monday, September 24, 2007 - 11:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Charlotte, the good people of Smithfield want you to eat pork products made under subhuman conditions. If that's okay with you, believe that link.

I hope they don't go out. It's 11, and nothing yet.

Johnlodge, no offense, but you don't know what you're talking about. They've been in intense bargaining (day and night) for 20 days. This is no pose.

Danny, think twice about chanting strike. This is serious shit.

Higgs1634
Username: Higgs1634

Post Number: 172
Posted on Monday, September 24, 2007 - 11:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

side question, has the "jobs bank" issue been addressed yet in these negotiations?

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 1691
Posted on Monday, September 24, 2007 - 11:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Notice the lack of interest in GM and the UAW...

Drudge has nothing about any possible GM strike among its thirty-some lead stories. There's not much interest here either.

It was the first story I heard this morning on Good Day New York...

It's also Breaking News on cnn.com...

(Message edited by iheartthed on September 24, 2007)

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 1330
Posted on Monday, September 24, 2007 - 11:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

UAW Strikes GM
http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20070924/BUS INESS01/70924034

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 4040
Posted on Monday, September 24, 2007 - 11:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

AP
UAW Locals Picket Five GM Plants
Monday September 24, 11:19 am ET
UAW Pickets Begin at Some General Motors Plants After Strike Deadline Passes

That's the first that Drudge had on it--released maybe three minutes ago by AP. Apparently, the threat of a strike was not newsworthy enough.

See how much times have changed?

Johnlodge

Post Number: 2696
Posted on Monday, September 24, 2007 - 11:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Johnlodge, no offense, but you don't know what you're talking about. They've been in intense bargaining (day and night) for 20 days. This is no pose."

Oldred, we were asked to predict and give our opinions. I gave mine. Glad you have yours, but what makes you think you know more about it?

Professorscott
Username: Professorscott

Post Number: 783
Posted on Monday, September 24, 2007 - 11:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's interesting that the UAW is providing this great assistance to GM as the latter tries to figure out how to sell us all on the idea that they will have to make more and more cars overseas.

My prediction is the end result of this strike will be that GM is convinced it has to invest billions of dollars in facilities outside the U.S., since it can't make money on small cars if it makes them here, and GM knows it will have to make more and more small cars in the future.

It is not 1955; not everyone seems to be aware of this. Just my humble opinion.

Cgunn
Username: Cgunn

Post Number: 111
Posted on Monday, September 24, 2007 - 11:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looks like the strike is over! That was fast.. I guess a strike really does work.

Cgunn
Username: Cgunn

Post Number: 112
Posted on Monday, September 24, 2007 - 11:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Now the (news) says, it may not be over. There is a news conference at 12:15p

Frenchman_in_the_d
Username: Frenchman_in_the_d

Post Number: 170
Posted on Monday, September 24, 2007 - 11:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow!
BBC News is pretty clear and timely about the UAW strike...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/bus iness/7010935.stm

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 2746
Posted on Monday, September 24, 2007 - 11:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Johnlodge, two of my best friends have been in bargaining with GM for the last 20 days, and other good friends who work at Solidarity House are also in the middle. My husband is a UAW member with a great deal at stake on this issue. I am an active union member and the member of several organizations that would be instantly mobilized for strike support. I have been breathing this issue for a long time now, and will continue. So I know a bit of where I speak.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 2698
Posted on Monday, September 24, 2007 - 12:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

UAW to officially announce national strike, not settlement, at 12:15.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 4041
Posted on Monday, September 24, 2007 - 12:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anybody remember four years ago when both the Detroit Three and the UAW settled their last contracts? They both (automakers and the union) stated that there would be about 55,000 fewer UAW jobs at this time (2007).

So, how many UAW jobs really went south during the past four years?

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 1332
Posted on Monday, September 24, 2007 - 12:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

UAW to officially announce national strike, not settlement, at 12:15.

As in on GM, right? They're not going to strike Ford, I'm assuming.

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 1634
Posted on Monday, September 24, 2007 - 12:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I say good for the UAW to show some balls to greedy GM. It's laughable that management thinks that pulling out of plants here and going full bore in Asia is anything more than a pathetic hollow threat. Especially with our waning dollar and rampant inflation in China. Who are they kidding?

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 2747
Posted on Monday, September 24, 2007 - 12:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GM. They haven't done Ford bargaining.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 2699
Posted on Monday, September 24, 2007 - 12:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Correct, on GM.

Elsuperbob

Post Number: 80
Posted on Monday, September 24, 2007 - 12:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

About the news coverage, here's what I saw.

CNN covered the press conference and discussed the situation while MSNBC appears to have been talking about the release of Halo 3. And, no surprise at all, Fox was continuing to beat the war drum on the MoveOn.org controversy after 20 minutes about Ahmadinejad in New York. In fact Fox barely mentioned a strike.

Bread and circuses I guess.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 2701
Posted on Monday, September 24, 2007 - 12:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Watching the entire press conference live on clickondetroit.com.