Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Best books about Detroit » Archive through May 01, 2007 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Irvine_laird
Username: Irvine_laird

Post Number: 29
Posted on Monday, April 23, 2007 - 10:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd like to start a reading club/discussion group that concentrates on books about Detroit. What authors/titles do you recommend?

Urbanoutdoors
Username: Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 242
Posted on Monday, April 23, 2007 - 10:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thomas Sugrue: Race and inequality in post war Detroit

Mary M Stolberg: Bridging the River of Hatred: The Pioneering efforts of George Edwards

June Manning Thomas: Redevelopment and Race.

For Starters.

Quozl
Username: Quozl

Post Number: 478
Posted on Monday, April 23, 2007 - 10:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Buildings of Detroit: A History (Hardcover) by W. Hawkins Ferry

I bought mine on eBay about two years ago for $40.00 but they have a few on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Building s-Detroit-W-Hawkins-Ferry/dp/0 814316654

Norwalk
Username: Norwalk

Post Number: 62
Posted on Monday, April 23, 2007 - 10:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

On a lighter note : Fiction - Michael Zadoorian: Second Hand

Quozl

Post Number: 479
Posted on Monday, April 23, 2007 - 10:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Frank Miller's RoboCop

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 2715
Posted on Monday, April 23, 2007 - 10:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sugrue's book is informative (at least parts). The actual title is 'Origins of the Urban Crisis.'

The Buildings of Detroit is classic.

For fiction, I think Middlesex is the best. It did win a Pulitzer.

Quozl

Post Number: 480
Posted on Monday, April 23, 2007 - 10:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Who Killed Detroit?: Other Cities Beware! by Diane Holloway Ph.D. and Johannes F Spreen

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 3269
Posted on Monday, April 23, 2007 - 10:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/6790/77218.html

Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 244
Posted on Monday, April 23, 2007 - 11:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jose Vergara's The new american ghetto.
Poems by Robert Hayden, Phillip Levine, Jim Daniels.
Kevin Boyles book on the sweet case
(can't remember the name right now)

(Message edited by Urbanoutdoors on April 23, 2007)

Quozl

Post Number: 481
Posted on Monday, April 23, 2007 - 11:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A personal favorite:

The Detroit Almanac: 300 years of life in the Motor City by Peter Gavrilovich and Bill McGraw

Quozl

Post Number: 482
Posted on Monday, April 23, 2007 - 11:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Westside is the Bestside by Jjaba Ph.D.

Valkyrias
Username: Valkyrias

Post Number: 451
Posted on Monday, April 23, 2007 - 11:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

kevin boyle's book is called arc of justice and is about the ossian sweet trials

Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 245
Posted on Monday, April 23, 2007 - 11:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Valkyrias, I was drawing a blank for some reason.

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 1161
Posted on Monday, April 23, 2007 - 11:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I second the Arc of Justice. Quite well done.

Others that you should check out:
Hard Stuff: Coleman Young's autobiography. The stuff toward the end of the book is more propaganda, but the beginning of it where he explains his upbringing explains an awful lot.

Made in Detroit: Well written, although it tails off in the end.

The Quotations Of Mayor Coleman A. Young: This is a short yet incredibly enjoyable read. A must read on the Detroit list.

Also, I highly recommend checking out the previous threads on this subject linked higher up by MikeM. They are much more comprehensive than this thread can ever dream of becoming.

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 839
Posted on Monday, April 23, 2007 - 11:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Algiers Motel Incident by John Hersey

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 366
Posted on Monday, April 23, 2007 - 12:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i'd be interested in a detroit book book club.. i'm reading Y.B.I. [out of print] autobiography of Butch Jones right now.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 1354
Posted on Monday, April 23, 2007 - 12:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"The Westside is the Bestside" by Jjaba Ph.D.

That was just one of a series. Other titles he later wrote are:

"Tales of the Dexter Bus Line"
"The Routes of The Detroit Times", or, "How I saved enough for my first house".
"East Side: The Horrors of Being Lost in a Strange Land".
"Ewald Circle: Trolleys on the Island".
"The Exposing of Lewis Cass and His High School".

I think they're all out of print, but one or two might turn up on Ebay some day.

Schoolcraft
Username: Schoolcraft

Post Number: 112
Posted on Monday, April 23, 2007 - 12:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bad Boys! Isiah
Inside Pitch-Roger Craig

Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 248
Posted on Monday, April 23, 2007 - 12:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Very Grim but any of Sidney Fine's out of print books.

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2234
Posted on Monday, April 23, 2007 - 12:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Loren Estelman's Detroit Series novels fictionalizing various eras of Detroit, including Thunder City, Jitterbug, and Edsel.

Tkierpiec
Username: Tkierpiec

Post Number: 21
Posted on Monday, April 23, 2007 - 1:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've got a few books if somebody wants them - off the top of my head, I know I have The Detroit Almanac, Made in Detroit, Hard Stuff & Origins of the Urban Crisis (this book was an amazing read, in my opinion.) I'm in the process of moving and things are packed away at the moment but if you give me a week to unpack boxes, you can have them all for free.

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 1162
Posted on Monday, April 23, 2007 - 2:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm interested in Hard Stuff and Origins of the Urban Crisis. Please send me an e-mail to 5column at gmail dot com.

(Message edited by E_hemingway on April 23, 2007)

Swbaby12345
Username: Swbaby12345

Post Number: 22
Posted on Friday, April 27, 2007 - 9:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The best one though is....

Detroit: A Tourist's Guide by Helen Earth

hehehe

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 1047
Posted on Friday, April 27, 2007 - 9:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No one liked Devil's Night by Ze'ev Chafets? I'm sure I spelled the name wrong, don't start a thread about it..PLEASE!

Detroitej72
Username: Detroitej72

Post Number: 535
Posted on Saturday, April 28, 2007 - 8:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Loren Estelman's Detroit Series novels fictionalizing various eras of Detroit, including Thunder City, Jitterbug, and Edsel.

______________________________ ___________________

Hey Kathleen, you forgot the best book in that series. "Whiskey River".

Ever read any of the Amos Walker mystery's? Great accounts of present day Detroit.

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 802
Posted on Saturday, April 28, 2007 - 11:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

On the Jan. 2006 thread about this same subject, Neilr wrote:
quote:

To me, American Odyssey, by Robert Conot, 1974, is the best, most readable, general history of Detroit. Conot traces the history of Detroit through the fictionized account of several generations of several families, both black and white, rich and poor, as they coped, or didn't cope, with the changes in the course of our history.

I have to whole-heartedly agree with Neilr, American Odyssey is very readable and instructive. It was through reading this book that I first learned that the majority of the venture capital used to fund the enterprises that "built" Detroit came from Boston bankers and businessmen, not New York financiers.

Gtat44
Username: Gtat44

Post Number: 118
Posted on Saturday, April 28, 2007 - 2:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I also agree Mikeg, read that one many,many times. It was one of the first books on Detroit I ever read.
BTW, still looking for the paperback about the man growing up in the 6 Mile and Troester area and going to Assumption Grotto in the 40's and 50's. Can't seem to find it on Amazon. It was written by a guy that used to hang out at Tudge's in S.C.S. Front cover had a boy sitting on top of a garage. Illustrated. Thanks for any help.

3rdworldcity
Username: 3rdworldcity

Post Number: 610
Posted on Saturday, April 28, 2007 - 3:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Many of Elmore Leonard's novels. "52 Pickup" was a good one.

Swiburn
Username: Swiburn

Post Number: 110
Posted on Monday, April 30, 2007 - 10:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You'd have to include Devil's Night-that's probably the main recently relevant book on the Detroit scene. An absolute must (hope it's still in print.)
"Buildings of Detroit" is a great book, but maybe for an architecture book talk.

Karenk
Username: Karenk

Post Number: 34
Posted on Tuesday, May 01, 2007 - 12:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Detroit Public Library should have all of these titles you have mentioned, especially local authors.