Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Aquarama to be scrapped « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 909
Posted on Monday, September 24, 2007 - 5:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://blog.mlive.com/chronicl e/2007/09/former_cruise_ship_a quarama_to.html

Co-worker just sent this to me. A sad way for a legend to go.

Stinger4me
Username: Stinger4me

Post Number: 59
Posted on Monday, September 24, 2007 - 6:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

She was quite the news maker in her day. The wake of the ship was memorable. My aunt went on the cruise, there and back in a day. A fast boat.

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 97
Posted on Monday, September 24, 2007 - 6:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mrs. Gnome's grandfather was the Aquarama's first mate

Ookpik
Username: Ookpik

Post Number: 334
Posted on Monday, September 24, 2007 - 8:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think this is the Aquarama.

Ookpik

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1960
Posted on Tuesday, September 25, 2007 - 8:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thats it, ookpik. The ill-fated Aquarama. Our law firm was involved in litigation for Westinghouse when the vessel was being converted back in 1955 from a C-4 carrier to a passenger ship. Her Great Lakes captain, Morgan Howell from St. Clair, was a real interesting individual and told some wonderful stories about his command.
P.S. I am having trouble posting on your "Mystery Ships." I think I have a couple more answers.

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 3480
Posted on Tuesday, September 25, 2007 - 10:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did Morgan Howell go on to be a pilot? I think I rode with him on a pilot boat out of Marysville in the early 1970s, while he was being delivered to a downbound Greek freighter. He did had some good stories to tell, even on the short ride out to the boat.

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1826
Posted on Tuesday, September 25, 2007 - 10:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i used to see it at its mooring in buffalo when i visited friends there, it was a pretty eerie sigtht at night.

Walkerpub
Username: Walkerpub

Post Number: 175
Posted on Tuesday, September 25, 2007 - 10:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From: Postcards from the Past, Volume 1- The Border Cities (Walkerville Publishing)

"The “S.S. Marine Star,” built in 1945 by the Sun Shipbuilding & Drydock Company in Chester, Pennsylvania, was commissioned as a naval troop ship, then converted to a passenger cruise ship in 1955, and renamed the “S.S. Aquarama.”

She plied a route between Cleveland and Detroit and was a familiar sight along the river; she featured nine decks, four restaurants, four bars, a movie theatre, room for 260 cars and 2,600 passengers! Mothballed in 1963, she is currently docked in Buffalo, NY and faces an uncertain future."

Aquarama

The Lounge

Aquarama Dance days

The Lido Deck

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1963
Posted on Tuesday, September 25, 2007 - 11:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Morgan Howell died in his 90's and had quite a long history on the Lakes so could well have been your skipper on the ferry, Mikem. He spoke a couple of times at the annual meeting of the Great Lakes Historical Society and his adventures in the wheelhouse of the Aquarama.
It was my understanding that the thought was for the Aquarama to run between Florida and Cuba, but when a guy named Fidel took over in Cuba the plans were scrubbed and so the vessel came up here to the Great Lakes.
She was always hitting and destroying docks in Toronto and Cleveland as the boat was really hard to manipulate, and her wake destroyed many a small dock too.
Howell's stories left you laughing! He could really deliver a stirring tale.

Sstashmoo
Username: Sstashmoo

Post Number: 429
Posted on Tuesday, September 25, 2007 - 12:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When I was a little kid, that thing about swamped our little 40 foot boat in Livingstone channel. They were tickin everybody off up and down the river with that ship. The wake was like 8 feet high under way, or looked like it anyway. I remember some old newspaper articles talking about preventing it from going over a certain speed in areas here. Truly a grand old piece of Detroit river history. Quite frankly I thought it had been scrapped years ago.

Ookpik
Username: Ookpik

Post Number: 335
Posted on Tuesday, September 25, 2007 - 12:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quote The_rock:

"P.S. I am having trouble posting on your "Mystery Ships." I think I have a couple more answers."

I'm not sure why you would be having trouble. Send me an e-mail at: ookpik72 "at" yahoo "dot" com and maybe I can figure it out.

Funny thing about the Aquarama - I was completely unfamiliar with the ship and the photo I posted in this thread was going to be the next "Mystery Ship." I about fell out of the chair when I clicked the link in the first post and saw the picture.

Ookpik

Ed_golick
Username: Ed_golick

Post Number: 819
Posted on Tuesday, September 25, 2007 - 3:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

rama

Motorcitydave
Username: Motorcitydave

Post Number: 102
Posted on Tuesday, September 25, 2007 - 3:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Speaking of cruise ships, any new info on the port by the RenCen?? Still looking at summer of 2006 for the completion date?? ;)

Mdoyle
Username: Mdoyle

Post Number: 218
Posted on Tuesday, September 25, 2007 - 4:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

or for that matter any news at all on work on the river walk. is it a far as it can progress currently. Are there land allocation issues?

Ltdave
Username: Ltdave

Post Number: 92
Posted on Tuesday, September 25, 2007 - 9:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i took some pictures of Captain Howell back in 84-85 when he completed his 5th associate degree at St. Clair County Community College. we ran the pictures and story in the Erie Square Gazette...

neat ol' guy...

d

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.