Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Rochester Hills mansion « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Hpgrmln
Username: Hpgrmln

Post Number: 188
Posted on Monday, September 24, 2007 - 5:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Years ago (probably late-80's), as a child, I used to see a big mansion East of Rochester Rd, north of Hamlin, way off in the distance, when visiting my aunt. It was apparently torn down sometime around then. Last night, I talked to a coworker and found out he lived in the area at the same time and recalls seeing it as well. Im suspecting it may have been part of the cemetary on Hamlin.
Id love to find out more about what (and exactly where) it was but don't have much to go on.
Anyone know anything about it?

Dannaroo
Username: Dannaroo

Post Number: 160
Posted on Monday, September 24, 2007 - 9:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think I know of the area you are talking about and there is still a huge house there on Hamlin (or I may be thinking about Avon) and it seems really out of place. I will take a look at some info I have somewhere else and try to post more tomorrow evening.

Fishtoes2000
Username: Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 303
Posted on Tuesday, September 25, 2007 - 1:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I went to a party there once in the 80's. Good party. Cold beer. Don't remember much of the house.

Gingellgirl
Username: Gingellgirl

Post Number: 59
Posted on Tuesday, September 25, 2007 - 9:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Perhaps you're thinking of buildings belonging to the Ferry Morse Seed Company? Ferry Court (now Wayside Park) and the boarding house are located just west of the Christian Memorial Cultural Center Cemetery.

http://www.michigan.gov/docume nts/hal_mhc_shpo_LHDManual_15A ppendixE_SampleReport_161873_7 .pdf

Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 304
Posted on Tuesday, September 25, 2007 - 1:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I didn't party at those houses. The house I was referring to was closer to where the ITC powerlines cross Rochester Road. I'm not sure if that's the one the original poster was referring to.

Gingellgirl

Post Number: 60
Posted on Tuesday, September 25, 2007 - 2:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A Southern-style, Gone-With-The-Wind type house with columns, right? East side of Rochester Road. Always had an old grey donkey out grazing in the south pasture.

Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 305
Posted on Tuesday, September 25, 2007 - 6:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yep, that's it, though I don't recall the donkey.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 3332
Posted on Tuesday, September 25, 2007 - 6:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It might help if we could pinpoint it in this 1967 DTE aerial photo. Did it even exist at that time?

(Message edited by Jimaz on September 25, 2007)

Hpgrmln

Post Number: 193
Posted on Tuesday, September 25, 2007 - 8:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It wasn't ON Rochester but could be seen from Rochester. My recollection was that it was behind Bordines, maybe up to a mile. It was gone around roughly 1990.
I couldn't get the old aerial photo to work on my aging computer but I looked up the area on mapslive and its all subdivisions now.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 3334
Posted on Tuesday, September 25, 2007 - 9:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rochester & Hamlin is in the lower left hand corner of this roughly 1-square-mile part of the DTE photo:

Mansion?

If you can indicate a part of that photo, maybe I can zoom in on it.

Hpgrmln

Post Number: 195
Posted on Wednesday, September 26, 2007 - 7:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It would be the large building just northwest of the wishbone-like driveway, sort of sitting way out there by itself.
Well, from Rochester it looked like a big old mansion (keep in mind I was a little kid, too)now after seeing this, who knows...could be a lot of things....but thats the building regardless.
Thanks For posting that,i feel relieved knowing that im not imagining things and that there was some kind of big house/building there.

Gingellgirl

Post Number: 61
Posted on Wednesday, September 26, 2007 - 9:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Could it have been the Ferry Morse barn and support buildings? It was a huge structure, located about a quarter mile east of Rochester Road, but southeast of Rochester and Hamlin. "The Hamptons" development, with apartments, condos, golf course, and, of course, strip mall took the property.

Hpgrmln

Post Number: 197
Posted on Wednesday, September 26, 2007 - 2:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

May have been a barn or a stable. Whatever it is,its just above and slightly to the left of the cemetary on the picture above. Judging by the size and the paths leading to it, it looks like it may have been a huge barn or garage. Either way, thats about where it was located.
On todays aerial view, that area is about where "Bliss Road" is now.

Hpgrmln

Post Number: 198
Posted on Wednesday, September 26, 2007 - 2:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gingellgirl-are you from Gingellville? I grew up right by there.

Gingellgirl

Post Number: 62
Posted on Wednesday, September 26, 2007 - 2:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hpgrmln - yeppers.
Check out the website: gingellville.com

Hpgrmln

Post Number: 199
Posted on Wednesday, September 26, 2007 - 2:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

cool.
i lived in the keatington sub off maybe the first few years of my life

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.