Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Strike Against GM Begins » Archive through September 24, 2007 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 4971
Posted on Monday, September 24, 2007 - 12:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So in everyone's opinion (except LYard;s since he knows all and sees all), what do you think the short and long term effects of this strike will be?

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1738
Posted on Monday, September 24, 2007 - 12:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Depends on how long it goes on...

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 1973
Posted on Monday, September 24, 2007 - 12:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Short term? Both sides lose.

Long term? Both sides lose.

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 2748
Posted on Monday, September 24, 2007 - 12:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fox local news covered it.

I hope this will bring GM to their senses. Bargaining will resume almost immediately, with luck it will be meaningful. I wish it hadn't happened, but I think the UAW will prevail in this one.

Papa
Username: Papa

Post Number: 251
Posted on Monday, September 24, 2007 - 12:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Let us hope that GM goes to independent Union free labor, like their competition. If they don't, they are going to go out of business.

Unless you live under a rock, you MUST know GM's financial woes.

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 4962
Posted on Monday, September 24, 2007 - 1:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I noticed that most of the strikers appear to be over the age of 50. Any guess why?

Southwestmap
Username: Southwestmap

Post Number: 909
Posted on Monday, September 24, 2007 - 1:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Perhaps its because "with age comes wisdom."

Sstashmoo
Username: Sstashmoo

Post Number: 420
Posted on Monday, September 24, 2007 - 1:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The members just don't get it, it's not there to ask for anymore. They are truly living in the past. When asked about GM's viability, Gettlefinger had sudden loss of hearing. He knows.

The outcome of this may be very interesting.

Pffft
Username: Pffft

Post Number: 1374
Posted on Monday, September 24, 2007 - 1:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, damn those people. How dare they still be working after 50. Get a bus and ship them out.

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 2749
Posted on Monday, September 24, 2007 - 1:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't be deliberately thick. I'm watching the same coverage and there are plenty of younger people there. They just bought out tons of the older people.

Hate unions all you want, don't spin what we can all see.

Belleislerunner
Username: Belleislerunner

Post Number: 361
Posted on Monday, September 24, 2007 - 1:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

UAW workers receive $200 a week in strike pay while off the job. This will really hurt the rank and file workers, many of whom live paycheck to paycheck. If this lasts longer than a couple weeks, many may cross the lines to avoid defaulting on mortgages, cars etc.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 10220
Posted on Monday, September 24, 2007 - 1:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Oh, damn those people. How dare they still be working after 50. Get a bus and ship them out.

I don't believe anyone is saying that put let's be honest. Many of the older UAW members aren't thinking about the long term ramifications to their peers or the industry, they want everything with no regard to the long term ramifications.

Their f you, I should get mine approach will do a major disservice to their younger peers and the company as a whole.

UAW members seem to forget that GM is the company writing the checks, not the UAW.

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 1635
Posted on Monday, September 24, 2007 - 1:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hope this goes well for the UAW, maybe then those employed at Southern Japanese plants will realize you don't have to take the lowest offer that management doles out.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 5961

As soon as I saw the strike was on, it wasn't going to be good for either side. On the posturing side, Gettlefinger needs to stop his diatribe about his disappointment in GM. If this was truly to be a mutual relationship, he needs to accept partial responsibility too. Saying that, I'm not saying that across the table GM wasn't guilty of it either but Gettlefinger was the first to voice his disappointment at the OTHER side.

Again, both sides of the table need to come together. Now is not the time for finger pointing. Posturing right now is stupid.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 2703
Posted on Monday, September 24, 2007 - 1:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Generous Motors that took care of my family and many like them is no more. The days of middle class wages for unskilled labor are over. It is sad and unfortunate, but it is the reality. The domestic auto industry is facing disaster, but they will not go out of business. They just won't build anything here anymore, if they cannot lower their labor costs.

Ndavies
Username: Ndavies

Post Number: 2776
Posted on Monday, September 24, 2007 - 1:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I noticed that most of the strikers appear to be over the age of 50. Any guess why?

The last major hiring push happened in the late 80's. most of those hired in the 80's are now in their 50's. The industry has been cutting ever since. Not too many new hires.

Previously layoffs were based on seniority, last in, first out. The last round of cuts were turned into early retirements. So people 55-65 were offered early retirement packages.

People retiring off the top and no new workers in at the bottom equals most of the strikers being in there 50's.

This also explains the push for a two tier wage system. The companies know there is going to be many retirements over the next 10-15 years. That means the upper wage workers will retire out, only to be replaced by newer lower wage workers.

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 4965
Posted on Monday, September 24, 2007 - 1:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Alright, here is a stupid question for ya...Is it possible that the older workers will be replaced by automation and robotics rather than an actual human?

Jt1

Post Number: 10221
Posted on Monday, September 24, 2007 - 1:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Alright, here is a stupid question for ya...Is it possible that the older workers will be replaced by automation and robotics rather than an actual human?

That has already been done for many/most situations but there is always room for technological improvements.

Professorscott
Username: Professorscott

Post Number: 784
Posted on Monday, September 24, 2007 - 1:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Robots will only do certain types of jobs, and already have replaced some people. Mostly the UAW needs to worry about their jobs being replaced with identical jobs in other parts of the world.

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 2750
Posted on Monday, September 24, 2007 - 1:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Do you guys honestly think people walked out with a smile on their faces and a song in their hearts? This is serious as cancer and nobody knows it like the auto workers.

Patrick, it is a stupid question. Robotics are a huge part of the auto plants and have been for years. This is not the aim of GM (or Ford or Chrysler). They are trying to weasel out of promising job security in exchange for the unions taking over the health care.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 4042
Posted on Monday, September 24, 2007 - 1:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

dance of the robots

Cambrian

Post Number: 1636
Posted on Monday, September 24, 2007 - 1:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GM does not want to be in a position where they have to compete with Korean, Chinese and Japanese companies who have factories here and they don't. Thank god the UAW wasn't quaking in thier boots after all the cheap threats about accelerating the push towards moving manufacturing to other countries. With this subprime mess, expect our dollar to tumble even more and before you know it the expense of doing business over seas is less and less attractive all the time.

Jt1

Post Number: 10223
Posted on Monday, September 24, 2007 - 1:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

They are trying to weasel out of promising job security in exchange for the unions taking over the health care.

I prefer to see it that they are trying to stay in business. Job security should not be a gimme in any business and job security is what has put the domestic autos in the situation that they are currently in. (management helped with the situation as well)

Professorscott
Username: Professorscott

Post Number: 785
Posted on Monday, September 24, 2007 - 1:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is the last sentence of an Associated Press story about the strike, just so we all know how much respect the investment community is giving the UAW right now:

"Despite the strike, GM stock rose a penny to $34.95 in midday trading."

Also, I agree with Jt1: "trying to weasel out of promising job security"?! Nobody on Earth owes anybody else any job security. If GM loses money year over year and fails, nobody will have any GM job whatsoever. They are in business to make money, not to make sure you have a job. Good Lord.

Higgs1634
Username: Higgs1634

Post Number: 173
Posted on Monday, September 24, 2007 - 1:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Between the GM/UAW contract talks(and now strike) and the budget circus in Lansing, I've had about enough of the finger pointing and posturing.

Gettlefinger's presser was ridiculous. "[p]ushed off a cliff?" uh no, Ron, y'all jumped. get your people back to the table and join us in the real world.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 4043
Posted on Monday, September 24, 2007 - 1:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GM stock's up 0.52%, Ford up 2.43%, so far.

Cambrian

Post Number: 1637
Posted on Monday, September 24, 2007 - 1:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

" Nobody on Earth owes anybody else any job security"

That attitude is caustic. If I have no job security how do you expect me to make a big purchase like a home or a car if I can be out of a job at a moment's notice? People making large purchases that require loans are responsible for 75% of our economy.

Jt1

Post Number: 10224
Posted on Monday, September 24, 2007 - 1:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

People making large purchases that require loans are responsible for 75% of our economy.

And contrary to what yo useem to believe how many of those people have jobs where they can not be fired. It is not the majority, that is for sure.

That is just a really weak argument.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 2705
Posted on Monday, September 24, 2007 - 1:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Seriously, I could lose my job for various reasons. I would never expect to be GUARANTEED employment. Sounds like fantasy land, and it must have been nice to have lived in it for so many decades. But those days are done, and no amount of arguing across a table is going to change the reality of it.

Dabirch
Username: Dabirch

Post Number: 2410
Posted on Monday, September 24, 2007 - 1:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

If I have no job security how do you expect me to make a big purchase like a home or a car if I can be out of a job at a moment's notice?

I expect you to be a strong enough believer in your own skills and ability to produce whatever it is that you produce, that if you lost your job, you could find another one.

If you don't possess that, you shouldn't be making major purchases.