Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » The Corktown Boot (Rummage) Sale! « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Urbanoutdoors
Username: Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 594
Posted on Monday, September 24, 2007 - 8:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Corktown Historical Society
“BOOT” Sale
(aka Rummage Sale)
(in England, the trunk of a car is called a boot and a Rummage Sale is called a “Boot Sale” –
started off as selling items from the “boot” of a car)
Saturday – September 29th
Noon – 5:00 p.m.
On Michigan Ave. just west of Tiger Stadium

Want to sell stuff?

$5.00 table and chair rental

Come out and see what cool stuff there is to be had!

Terryh
Username: Terryh

Post Number: 545
Posted on Monday, September 24, 2007 - 8:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DAMMIT! fuck! I have to work that day. I have tons of collectible I would like to sell.

Brandon48202
Username: Brandon48202

Post Number: 184
Posted on Monday, September 24, 2007 - 9:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Do a lot of people show up for this event? I've got some stuff I need to get rid of.

Dialh4hipster
Username: Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 2198
Posted on Tuesday, September 25, 2007 - 10:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is the first time it's been held, so nobody can say how many people will show up. But a $5 rental - not too bad!

The selling will take place in the parking lot next to the Gaelic League, as well as at various houses in the Corktown neighborhood. There will be a list of yard sale addresses at the main lot.

Here is more info from the blurb I got:

People will be selling (everything from crafts to junk to garden veggies) from the trunks (er, boots) of their car. Other neighborhood folk --and their friends -- will be selling from their front yards. Participating addresses will be posted at the parking lot boot sale. Or if it's a nice day, just walk the historical neighborhood for front-yard bargains. Go early: Owner of Mezzanine, Joe Posch, will be cleaning out his storage closet for the event, and our resident fashion designer, Sarah Lurtz of Wound, will be selling the rest of her t-shirt stock. You can also hope for some good vintage, and expect lots of junk.

--------------

More details on the Mezzanine stuff - TONS of vintage 50's - 70's stuff

* dinnerware including Franciscan Oasis & Starburst, Vernonware (?) Tickled Pink, Russell Wright American Modern & Iroquois Casual China, Ben Seibel's Rosemary & Autumn (complete sets), probably some Metlox and more

* some vintage furniture including a Heywood Wakefield desk (not the sculptured front one, sorry kids), funky 50's freestanding fireplace & more

* TONS of tiki stuff - I collected tiki mugs for a long time back in the 90's and amassed what is now an irritatingly large number of them. I've got no patience for ebay with these things so I am getting rid of most of my extras, plus various other paraphenalia.

* plus other collectibles, lighting, fabric, ashtrays, prints and much much more!

And that's just me. It should be a great sale!

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 10368
Posted on Tuesday, September 25, 2007 - 10:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Irritatingly large number"...oh thanks for the laugh, Dial, I needed that!

I'm going to look through my electronics and other stuff, too...not a bad way to end the summer, cleaning out some stuff that others could cherish anew.

Corktownmark
Username: Corktownmark

Post Number: 343
Posted on Tuesday, September 25, 2007 - 12:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

See you there Gannon -- I have a pile of stuff and the weather looks to be real good.

Corktowner
Username: Corktowner

Post Number: 17
Posted on Tuesday, September 25, 2007 - 7:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It seems this will be a success due to the number of calls received. The $5.00 fee is only for a table at the tent next to the Gaelic League. Those selling from their boot or home do not have to pay, just let us know so we can let participants know where items will be for sale.

Later on at the Gaelic League, there will be Karaoke and Open Mike night starting around 9pm. Bring your favorite music if you'd like, but make certain everything is labeled. Everyone is welcome, so stop in if you have a good time with friendly people and Guiness and such.

Gannon

Post Number: 10380
Posted on Tuesday, September 25, 2007 - 10:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Very cool...Pgn421 said he would come down, too, Corktowner.

He's that fellow I told you about the other night who knew your mom and dad from Gannon's...we'll have to tip a pint or two with Ann!

This is going to be fun!

Sign me up for a table...near the building so I can get some AC power easily...I'm sure folks will want to know if the stuff works before they buy it.

Corktownmark

Post Number: 347
Posted on Wednesday, September 26, 2007 - 12:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It looks like quite a few vendors have signed up for tables and also some to sell out of their vehicle. Any car, van or SUV will work and save the five bucks.

I think there will be a big crowd for this. The Red wings are at home which always brings a big crowd to Michigan ave.

Gannon -- maybe some one will be selling a generator or a converter for your car... Otherwise bring a real long extension cord and plug it in at my house... or maybe the G League will help us out.

Gannon

Post Number: 10403
Posted on Wednesday, September 26, 2007 - 12:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, if my Auntie is working from her house...and are you, are you going to keep it close to home or take everything to the League?...then I might ask her if I can setup there.

Corktownmark

Post Number: 348
Posted on Wednesday, September 26, 2007 - 4:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am planning on taking some stuff to the G League to sell. We have some cool stuff but I can get it all in the van.
We should be able to work things out for you at the Gaelic League or at your Corktown Cuz's place. They are a block closer to the Gaelic league than me. We would not want to make folks go ALL THE WAY to Trumbull.
This looks like another good time in the shadow of the old ball yard. Good thing we have a large vehicle to take that stuff we buy from Diah4hipster home in.

Gannon

Post Number: 10415
Posted on Wednesday, September 26, 2007 - 5:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I didn't know you were INTO Tiki...

Gannon

Post Number: 10416
Posted on Wednesday, September 26, 2007 - 5:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually, now that I think of it...the party WILL be at the League...and if Dial will be there, it is a guaranteed good time.

I might end up with some Tiki, too.

Corktownmark

Post Number: 349
Posted on Wednesday, September 26, 2007 - 5:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

On the Tiki not so much... Actually African and MesoAmerican textiles, fabrics and art are more our style... do you think i should put some of this old stuff up for sale and see if the better half wants to try Tiki for a change?

Gannon

Post Number: 10421
Posted on Wednesday, September 26, 2007 - 5:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I dunno, it seems like the start of a BAD addiction.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 3341
Posted on Wednesday, September 26, 2007 - 5:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tiki?

Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 2202
Posted on Wednesday, September 26, 2007 - 6:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's a disease. This is from back around '99. And there were doubles, and triples.

I was young

There will be other paraphenalia there too - tiki masks, swizzles, menus, some wall artifacts from the Seattle Trader Vic's ... (don't ask).

It's fun stuff, but I've moved on.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 3342
Posted on Wednesday, September 26, 2007 - 6:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There's no accounting for taste at Tiki Bar TV!

Oakmangirl
Username: Oakmangirl

Post Number: 429
Posted on Wednesday, September 26, 2007 - 6:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dialh4hipster,

Since you know your British...what's the difference between a *boot sale* and a *jumble*? I always thought a jumble=rummage sale. Is there a difference? Not being a wise ass, but seriously wondering. Hope the boot sale goes well!

Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 2203
Posted on Wednesday, September 26, 2007 - 7:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I actually have no clue - I didn't come up with the concept, I'm just an eager participant.

Man, I love having a yard sale.

Gannon

Post Number: 10442
Posted on Thursday, September 27, 2007 - 3:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Without having to tend the yard, I'd bet!

Oakmangirl,

Since they were offering tables for setup or allowing people to sell directly out of their car-trunks...THAT was the source of the 'boot' title.

Cheers!

(if we didn't get 'rummage' from the Brits...where the heck did it come from?)

Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 2204
Posted on Thursday, September 27, 2007 - 3:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"rum"mage seems carribbean to me ...

Oakmangirl
Username: Oakmangirl

Post Number: 432
Posted on Thursday, September 27, 2007 - 9:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dialh,

That's the tiki in you talking!

I checked the word origins: apparently, a *jumble* is a sale for raising funds, and a *boot sale* has no do-gooder connection. I think they're pretty interchangeable now. I love the idea of selling crap right out of the back of my car- Detroit should have more of these...if the boot fits....

Corktownmark

Post Number: 350
Posted on Thursday, September 27, 2007 - 3:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think you are on to something Dialh4! I will be looking for some convenient 'Rum'mage right after the sale. I will enjoy some libation while I try to explain my new Tiki treasures.

Oldestuff
Username: Oldestuff

Post Number: 49
Posted on Thursday, September 27, 2007 - 11:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

because of the proximity to the Gaelic League, all participants and lookers on will be able to imbibe at any time they feel the need. I also understand that some of the sellers will also have thirst quenchers available, for a wink and a nod.

Homer
Username: Homer

Post Number: 236
Posted on Friday, September 28, 2007 - 1:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great, hope to pick up some neat conquistador paraphernalia. Those curvy metal hats are so cool.

Corktownmark

Post Number: 351
Posted on Friday, September 28, 2007 - 8:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There are many community based groups and churches in corktown Homer. We have the Greater Corktown development Corp, The Corktown Residence counsel, The Corktown Historic Society, St Peters, Spirit of Hope, Most Holy Trinity, Alternatives for Girls and the list could go on and on. This is an area with strong commitment to the City of Detroit and many committed social activists. I have no comment to make on the other thread except to say to paint corktown residents as some monolithic march in lock step gentrification advocates is an extreme disservice to the many many many residents of Corktown. This area has long been known as an activist community from the Cabrini Clinic in 1834 to Father Kern to some of our leaders today.

Homer
Username: Homer

Post Number: 237
Posted on Friday, September 28, 2007 - 11:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CTMark
Sorry, just my twisted attempt at humor.

I am well aware of the terific community
based groups in CT and Southwest Detroit
in general. Mexicantown Developement, Clark Park Coalition, SDBA, SW Environmental Vision, SW Solutions, and more.

No offense intended.
n

Corktownmark

Post Number: 352
Posted on Friday, September 28, 2007 - 2:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No problem Homer and thanks. I am just hoping that the Rummage/boot sale (which has nothing to do with the secret group) is not adversely impacted by the other discussion.

Scs_scooter
Username: Scs_scooter

Post Number: 29
Posted on Saturday, September 29, 2007 - 4:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some else's trash is MY treasure! What fun the boot sale was. We picked up everything from jewelry to a room/screen divider. Also, it was a great day weather-wise for an outdoor function such as this.

Long_in_the_tooth
Username: Long_in_the_tooth

Post Number: 67
Posted on Saturday, September 29, 2007 - 5:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The boot sale was a blast, I had such a great day.
Makes me miss those Sundays at the Rose Bowl.

Tkierpiec
Username: Tkierpiec

Post Number: 58
Posted on Saturday, September 29, 2007 - 6:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I drove by at about 2:00 on my way to somewhere else and it looked like a really nice turn out! Wish I had time to stop....and I am hoping there will be more of these in the future!

Gsgeorge
Username: Gsgeorge

Post Number: 205
Posted on Saturday, September 29, 2007 - 7:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had a great time at the boot sale and browsing the neighborhood's various yard sales. Whoever was selling grilled sausages made my day.

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2502
Posted on Saturday, September 29, 2007 - 8:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wish I had had more time to go to the neighborhood sales. Ran into friends right after arriving and ended up having lunch at Slow's. One of my friends made it over to Dial4hipster's place and bought a few things. They were headed out for more treasures as I left...

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.