Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » What skyscrapers can you see from Comerica Park « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Motownbound
Username: Motownbound

Post Number: 12
Posted on Monday, September 24, 2007 - 9:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello everyone,

I am very new to the area and attended a Tigers game Saturday night. I was astounded by the beautiful view of Detroit's skyline from the park. I know quite a bit about some of the most famous of the skyscrapers downtown because I have long been obsessed with Detroit's history and architecture, but I was having a hard time identifying all of them.

I know I saw the David Whitney building and the Ren cen and the Penobscot. Is it possible that I might also have seen the Book? I know the Book is further away, but it seemed to look a lot like it. It was very dark (the building and the sky, especially with the blazing stadium lights), and the silhouette seemed right, but I couldn't be sure.

From my vantage point, behind the home team's dugout, it looked like the Penobscot was to the left of the Book (if that's what it was). Can someone help?

I haven't had a chance to head downtown yet during the day to see these beauties in the daytime, but it's on my agenda for fall.

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 593
Posted on Monday, September 24, 2007 - 9:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thats correct. You probably wouldve seen the Book over the whitney from the vantagepoint

Motownbound
Username: Motownbound

Post Number: 13
Posted on Monday, September 24, 2007 - 9:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK, cool! I knew that had to be it. I also saw the Stott building--that has a really neat silhouette, too. I had to look that one up, but I know for sure that was it.

The Book looked so, so dark--just a little red blinking light on top.

Rsa
Username: Rsa

Post Number: 1282
Posted on Tuesday, September 25, 2007 - 11:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

dugout vantage

you can see two book buildings from that vantage: the book cadillac hotel behind the david broderick tower, and the book tower behind the david whitney building. if you were higher up you could see the third book building (now at&t regional building or whatever).

other buildings visible from that vantage are: the wurlitzer building in front of the stott tower, trolley plaza apartments next to the book tower, and the michigan mutual building (i think now called grand center building) over the upper right field deck.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.