Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » The economic woes of Detroit- Who's more at fault? Bush, Granholm, Kilpatrick, ?? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Postbop
Username: Postbop

Post Number: 7
Posted on Tuesday, September 25, 2007 - 3:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would love to hear liberal and conservative opinions on who should take more responsibility more Detroit's economic woes. Of course all three parts of government have blame, but where does more of the fault lie?

what will turn our fortune around?

Tkelly1986
Username: Tkelly1986

Post Number: 411
Posted on Tuesday, September 25, 2007 - 7:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Neither, the majority of the fault lies with the incompetent city officials, especially the race baiting clowns on city council. With their continued employment and the casual acceptance of the “me first” attitude and corruption in city government, real change is only a pipe dream. Detroit needs to stand up and say, this is unacceptable.

It’s a vicious cycle of election and appointment of individuals with little or no qualifications to lead, let alone brings new ideas to the plate. It’s the same old stuff, the city officials think Detroit is owed something and nobody is willing to think outside the box to attract new investment. And when new investment is made, it’s not because of the hard work by the city officials; it’s because of someone like Roger Penske. However, the officials are quick to take credit, because they “allowed” for things like the Superbowl to happen. What a joke. I hope that change is on the horizon, but it seems like an acceptance of the status quo is a little too commonplace for some of the residents of Detroit. (I am not saying people on this board; this is one of the few beacons of optimism, but we need this optimism to spread….how that happens is another topic).

Lombaowski
Username: Lombaowski

Post Number: 57
Posted on Tuesday, September 25, 2007 - 7:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Coleman Young, Ronald Reagan, the UAW, Whitey who got scared and left.

Frankg
Username: Frankg

Post Number: 26
Posted on Tuesday, September 25, 2007 - 7:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Engler and Reagan. Then Bush II accelerated the problems.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 2810
Posted on Tuesday, September 25, 2007 - 8:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Who do you blame for the auto industry becoming more efficient and reducing the number of jobs on the lines? Who do you blame for the auto industry moving to suburban and rural areas where land is less expensive? Who do you blame for the city and state becoming so dependent on a single industry and not remaining diversified? Who do you blame for the general downward trend of the US worker?

Detroit's ebb and flow is the result of chasing the almighty dollar - who do you blame for that?

Udmphikapbob
Username: Udmphikapbob

Post Number: 465
Posted on Tuesday, September 25, 2007 - 9:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I came here to say Reagan, but that's been taken...I'll go back even farther then and say Eisenhower for the Interstate Highway program. Also, the rural Macomb and Oakland County Commissioners who couldn't reach an agreement with the City to construct a real mass transit system with the money the Ford administration promised.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 6581
Posted on Tuesday, September 25, 2007 - 9:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't blame Granholm, BLAME BUSH and the Republican thugs for their folly ideals of increasing economic trade policies.

I'm glad that Dick DeVos did not become governor. For if he did, then Michigan is doomed.

Umcs
Username: Umcs

Post Number: 41
Posted on Tuesday, September 25, 2007 - 10:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Neither and none of our elected officials. Two reasons.

Politicians and their faults only reflect the larger faults in society. We failed to anticipate changes and meet them head on. We took the easy, more comfortable road. We took the devil we knew instead of the one we didn't.

Also, we don't live in China where an executive leader in government can mobilize everyone to move in one direction.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 10366
Posted on Tuesday, September 25, 2007 - 10:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Detroit's ebb and flow is the result of chasing the almighty dollar - who do you blame for that?

He shoots...he SCORES!

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 1694
Posted on Tuesday, September 25, 2007 - 10:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whose idea was it to pave interstates over city neighborhoods? That's who I blame.

Michigan
Username: Michigan

Post Number: 1205
Posted on Tuesday, September 25, 2007 - 10:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, this thread illustrates who is responsible, and why the situation is not improving.

The people who have lived in Detroit, and the metro area, for the last forty years are responsible. Not governments, especially not the current ones. Detroit was over the edge of the cliff long before Granholm and Bush stumbled onto the train wreck.

Please, stop the incessant search for someone else to blame. Voters in Detroit elect Kwame. Voters in the burbs elect governments that don't even want to speak to Detroit, let alone co-operate with it. So now you know who is to blame, you are.

Yvette248
Username: Yvette248

Post Number: 958
Posted on Tuesday, September 25, 2007 - 11:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Amen, Michigan.

We are the ones who set the tone for politics, business and civic pride (or lack thereof) in this region. If you are looking for someone to blame for our mess, look in the mirror, then look at your next door neighbor, then look at your co-worker.

Way beyond just our little corner of the world, this weak, pathetic, pass-the-buck mentality is the exact reason why other nationalities are surpassing AMERICANS in technology, education, work ethics and moral standards.

Nyct
Username: Nyct

Post Number: 73
Posted on Tuesday, September 25, 2007 - 1:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well since Bush gets blamed for every friggin misfortune in the world, it HAS to be his fault. All of Michigan's problems began on the day he took office too, so that's another fact that proves this phenomenon!

Granholm's total lack of ability and the fact that she is a horrible governor is Bush's fault too.

Oakmangirl
Username: Oakmangirl

Post Number: 426
Posted on Tuesday, September 25, 2007 - 1:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

John Engler.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 2812
Posted on Tuesday, September 25, 2007 - 1:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I give some credit to both Kwame and the Gov - managing messes in tight times is a lot harder than in easy times. Add to that the Gov. has no financial reserves to fall back on, unlike Engler, to make things easier.

Detroit and Michigan will only be stronger once we get through this.

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 211
Posted on Tuesday, September 25, 2007 - 7:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm sure there plenty of blame to go around to all.
Maybe the Voters who elected idiots.
Postbop, who do you think is most to blame?

Titancub
Username: Titancub

Post Number: 82
Posted on Tuesday, September 25, 2007 - 7:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Granholm has been a disaster as our state leader. Nice enough person with good values and all, but she has failed to step up and lead our state during these tough times. Passing some blame to others is legitimate but I think her inability to step and steer our state is a HUGE issue.

I also take big issue with Levin, Stabenow, Dingell, et al in Washington representing us. They have failed to support the state and return money and programs that we desperately have needed.

I also blame folks who still perpetuate the divide and hate of city and suburb. This kills our reputation as a region and discourages investment. Like it or not we are viewed collectively as one to the outside world and therefore must come together to enrich ourselves.

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 2384
Posted on Tuesday, September 25, 2007 - 8:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I blame the pro-gun lobby and the anti-gun lobby. I blame the pro-choice lobby and the anti-abortion lobby. I blame the segregationists and the integrationists. Basically, I blame Americans for being so selfish that we can never come to an agreement on any thing that will benefit all of us.

(Message edited by royce on September 25, 2007)

Hpgrmln
Username: Hpgrmln

Post Number: 192
Posted on Tuesday, September 25, 2007 - 8:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Titanclub is spot-on.
I second pretty much that whole post.

Ccbatson
Username: Ccbatson

Post Number: 4368
Posted on Tuesday, September 25, 2007 - 8:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, if "government" is the problem, what then is the solution?? Smaller government.

Ray
Username: Ray

Post Number: 1017
Posted on Tuesday, September 25, 2007 - 9:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't know how much to blame Granhom, but I can't imagine blaming Bush. First, compared to onslaught of the new Democratic Congress, he's the auto industry's best friend. His Dept of Transportion is being lambasted for trying to pressure California no to adopt new mileage rules.

The whole country has done great economically over Bush, until maybe recently.

The problems of Detroit have mounted for generations before Bush, hell since Bush was in kindergarten.

Blame Bush for Iraq but not Detroit.

Ray
Username: Ray

Post Number: 1018
Posted on Tuesday, September 25, 2007 - 9:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't know how much to blame Granhom, but I can't imagine blaming Bush. First, compared to onslaught of the new Democratic Congress, he's the auto industry's best friend. His Dept of Transportion is being lambasted for trying to pressure California no to adopt new mileage rules.

The whole country has done great economically over Bush, until maybe recently.

The problems of Detroit have mounted for generations before Bush, hell since Bush was in kindergarten.

Blame Bush for Iraq but not Detroit.

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 1211
Posted on Tuesday, September 25, 2007 - 9:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yuppies under Reagan driving every modern day idiot to put selfish consumerism before community.

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 9841
Posted on Tuesday, September 25, 2007 - 9:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CEO's of said corporations. And unions for not playing along and trying to get whatever they can get without much care for the future.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 4072
Posted on Tuesday, September 25, 2007 - 9:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Yuppies under Reagan driving every modern day idiot to put selfish consumerism before community.

You can't be serious! What are you--some kind of Trotsk?

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1616
Posted on Tuesday, September 25, 2007 - 11:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

James Couzens for vetoing the subway

Ccbatson
Username: Ccbatson

Post Number: 4410
Posted on Tuesday, September 25, 2007 - 11:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Businesses are about making as much profit as possible for as long as possible...that is a good thing for everyone. Leave them alone (meaning the government should leave them alone) and things will work out for the best.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 10390
Posted on Wednesday, September 26, 2007 - 12:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How, exactly, is that a GOOD thing for everyone?

Can you actually back up those claims Cc?

Sounds like you're farting without any backup solid stool again...

Michigan
Username: Michigan

Post Number: 1211
Posted on Wednesday, September 26, 2007 - 7:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

cc- I love money as much as the next guy. I believe in markets as much as the next guy. But, your statement is short-sighted and ludicrous.

Sturge
Username: Sturge

Post Number: 119
Posted on Wednesday, September 26, 2007 - 9:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Royce - Basically, I blame Americans for being so selfish that we can never come to an agreement on any thing that will benefit all of us.

I agree. The left and right are so far apart and no one is willing to find a middle ground. Thus nothing gets done and we maintain the status quo.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 6586
Posted on Wednesday, September 26, 2007 - 9:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks to the power of free will. We can do anything we want and forget about somebody else's problems.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.