Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Tiger Stadium: City Repaid by Tigers for Missing Items « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Tigersfan9
Username: Tigersfan9

Post Number: 118
Posted on Tuesday, September 25, 2007 - 10:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did anyone hear about this? I also saw a commercial on Ch. 4 about a story regarding Tiger Stadium but I missed it. Can anyone let me know what they said? Here's the AP story from this morning:

DETROIT (AP) -- The Detroit Tigers reimbursed the city of Detroit $3,600 because seats, turnstiles and other items are missing from Tiger Stadium.

The Tigers, the city and Detroit police have been working together since Sept. 12, when the team said it became aware of allegations about unauthorized access and possible larceny from the shuttered ballpark. The club repaid the city on Friday.

The team, which provides security for the city-owned venue, said it suspended a security officer assigned to Tiger Stadium based upon an internal investigation.

An online auction of a 680-item collection of Tiger Stadium memorabilia, including World Series banners and the home dugout urinal, is scheduled to run through mid-October.

Tiger Stadium has been empty since the team moved Comerica Park in 2000.

Retired Hall of Fame broadcaster Ernie Harwell is backing a plan that would save Tiger Stadium's playing field and about 3,000 seats. The Old Tiger Stadium Conservancy, a nonprofit group, is pushing the plan.

The city has said it plans to use proceeds from the auction to defray the costs of demolishing most of the stadium, and is holding on to some stadium items for historical purposes.

Copyright 2007 Associated Press.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.c om/2007/baseball/mlb/09/24/bc. bba.tigerstadium.rei.ap/

Mdoyle
Username: Mdoyle

Post Number: 216
Posted on Tuesday, September 25, 2007 - 10:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

are we still shooting for demolition sometime in October or will it be delayed if/when the conservancy get money and plans drawn up? I wouldnt mind seeing some site prep.

Ohudson
Username: Ohudson

Post Number: 286
Posted on Tuesday, September 25, 2007 - 10:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Channel 4 had a story with hidden camera's watching Mel, the hired security guard get paid $20 bucks to let people in to the stadium and do whatever. In one part a group of guys came with all kinds of baseball equipment to play on the field. After playing they decided to started breaking apart seats to take with them. That was the first part, I didn't see the second part.

Tigersfan9

Post Number: 119
Posted on Tuesday, September 25, 2007 - 10:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for that info. I checked the clickondetroit.com site for a video of the report but couldn't find one.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 10229
Posted on Tuesday, September 25, 2007 - 11:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Part 2 is on tonight on the 11 o'clock news.

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 1335
Posted on Tuesday, September 25, 2007 - 11:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd give him $100 to get in the park. But I wouldn't steal shit while in there...besides a clump of dirt or something. Playing baseball sounds like a great idea though!

Tigersfan9

Post Number: 120
Posted on Tuesday, September 25, 2007 - 11:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm assuming they've cracked down on the security now that this story has broken.

Harpernottingham
Username: Harpernottingham

Post Number: 276
Posted on Tuesday, September 25, 2007 - 12:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's the video of Kevin Dietz's report:

http://www.clickondetroit.com/ video/14199738/index.html

Part 2 tonight at 11.

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 875
Posted on Tuesday, September 25, 2007 - 12:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If they're going to sneak into Tiger Stadium to play baseball couldn't they have at least gotten some wooden bats?

Jt1

Post Number: 10235
Posted on Tuesday, September 25, 2007 - 12:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wonder how much these shit heads would have sued the city for had a piece of the stadium fallen on their heads?

Jelk
Username: Jelk

Post Number: 4621
Posted on Tuesday, September 25, 2007 - 12:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mdoyle,

The stadium dismantling and scaling back will begin this year and the process will be done in a way to allow the Conservancy to preserve a significant portion of the stadium as well as the field.

If anyone bothered to get their facts straight about this project they would know the city's dismantling plan has been put together with the cooperation and input of the Conservancy. The "demolition" (an inaccurate term for the process) and the Conservancy's preservation effort are all part of the same plan approved by City Council in July.

I'm not blaming you for having the details wrong because what appears in the newspapers (John Gallagher excluded) is so far off from what is really going on, it's a wonder anyone has the first clue about the future of Tiger Stadium.

Jt1

Post Number: 10236
Posted on Tuesday, September 25, 2007 - 12:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, one side thing about the news story yesterday.

They specifically stated that the charge to save part of the stadium is led by Ernie Harwell. Seemed like a big f' you to all of te Conservancy people that have committed countless hours to this.

Harpernottingham

Post Number: 277
Posted on Tuesday, September 25, 2007 - 12:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sometimes it's hard to tell news from advertising.
Celebrity, celebrity, celebrity.

I love Ernie, but Jeff Wattrick and his colleagues at the OTSC are leading the charge. Ernie's name seems to have been used in the report more for color than for accuracy.

This just in: News doesn't have to be flashy. Just make it as accurate as possible and let advertisers put their spin on the news.

Jelk

Post Number: 4622
Posted on Tuesday, September 25, 2007 - 1:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

They specifically stated that the charge to save part of the stadium is led by Ernie Harwell. Seemed like a big f' you to all of te Conservancy people that have committed countless hours to this.

I doubt the Conservancy people mind all that much. In fact I'd be worried about someone upset that they have to take second chair to Ernie Harwell in the public mind.

Jt1

Post Number: 10239
Posted on Tuesday, September 25, 2007 - 1:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Point taken.

Oakmangirl
Username: Oakmangirl

Post Number: 425
Posted on Tuesday, September 25, 2007 - 1:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ernie Harwell is irrelevant. This city is a f**cking disgrace.

Histeric
Username: Histeric

Post Number: 821
Posted on Tuesday, September 25, 2007 - 4:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yea, yea omgirl. One always has the choice to leave or be part of making it better. Y the shot at Ernie? Irrelevant? I think not.

I for one, have no problem taking a back seat to Mr. Harwell. I am pleased as punch to have him on the team.

Mdoyle
Username: Mdoyle

Post Number: 217
Posted on Tuesday, September 25, 2007 - 4:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So the dismantling had been planned with the conservancy's plan in mind all along? Is there already a contract with a company for the dismantling? Im just curious to know when we'll be seeing any sort of work on the site. This fall, spring of '08 longer? work seems to pretty much cease in the winter.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1614
Posted on Tuesday, September 25, 2007 - 5:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

wdiv sucks, and screw local tv news

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 2383
Posted on Tuesday, September 25, 2007 - 7:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, the nerve of these guys to "flick their cigarette ashes on the field." It's always funny to hear investigative reporters make comments about the people being investigated as if those being investigated have sold children on the black market. Anything to sensationalize the report.

Now, who among us who loved going to Tiger Stadium would pass up an opportunity to play on the same field as so many Tiger greats? The stealing was clearly wrong, but paying the security guard some money to trespass was priceless.

The city doesn't realize the gold mine it has with the field at Tiger Stadium. Save the field and advertise it as a "field of dreams" and every guy in this world who thinks he can play baseball will pay twenty bucks(and probably a lot more) to play on the field. House a sports museum (where the right field overhang exists), build a parking deck, and maybe a small hotel and you've got a destination spot. Forget about saving 3000 seats. Forget about using the field for just little league. Save the field for all of us who dreamed of playing on it and we will come.

(Message edited by royce on September 25, 2007)

Burnsie
Username: Burnsie

Post Number: 1158
Posted on Tuesday, September 25, 2007 - 8:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jelk: why is "demolish" an inappropriate term? Just because part of the stadium might be saved, that doesn't mean that "demolish" is any less accurate a term for what won't remain.

Tigersfan9

Post Number: 121
Posted on Tuesday, September 25, 2007 - 11:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm curious to see what the second part of the report has to say tonight. Too bad by the time any of us learned about the easy-to-bribe guard it's too late to take advantage of it...

Kid_dynamite
Username: Kid_dynamite

Post Number: 244
Posted on Tuesday, September 25, 2007 - 11:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just watched it... what the hell is up with Carmen Harlan's hair tonight?? Looks like Elvis with a mullet.

(Message edited by kid dynamite on September 25, 2007)

Harpernottingham

Post Number: 278
Posted on Wednesday, September 26, 2007 - 1:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, Carmen's hair needs to be demolished.

Border5150
Username: Border5150

Post Number: 182
Posted on Wednesday, September 26, 2007 - 5:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Of course, if the city had demolished the park in a reasonable amount of time (12-18 months) like most other big league cities - Milwaukee, St. Louis, Seattle - this wouldn't be a problem today.

Maybe we can each pay $20 and take hits on that poor animal that died on top of Carmen's head...

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 6589
Posted on Wednesday, September 26, 2007 - 9:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Most folks don't care about sacred treasures like Tiger Stadium. They just take and run. Even the Ancient Roman Coliseum had been looted for a thousand years until the Italian Government made it a historical landmark preventing other people from looting the stadium.

Jelk

Post Number: 4627
Posted on Wednesday, September 26, 2007 - 3:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

why is "demolish" an inappropriate term?

Demolish is an inappropriate term because it suggests not only a total leveling but also the kind of process that involves a big wrecking ball smashing into things. The portions of Tiger Stadium to be removed will be dismantled, salvaged, and recycled. If a building is going to be scaled back or torn down, the process proposed for Tiger Stadium is far more humane, preservation friendly, and green than the Hudson's implosion. Think the architectural salvage program.

When put into context of other former Major League ballparks what is currently proposed in much more of a preservation project than a demolition project. I'm the last guy to get caught up in PR messaging buzzwords but dismantling is a much more accurate term to describe the plan for Tiger Stadium.

As for Carmen Harlen's hair, I feel bad for the camera guy trying to frame a head shot with appropriate head room.

Civilprotectionunit4346
Username: Civilprotectionunit4346

Post Number: 508
Posted on Wednesday, September 26, 2007 - 4:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That report on News4 was a joke....Why does the city even give a f--k what happened. They are going to knock it down soon. This city is going further down the pervival sh--ter. I am planning on moving next yr out of state. The job market here sucks...& nothing seems to be turning around. To many retards betting that the auto industry will make a comeback....

Harpernottingham

Post Number: 280
Posted on Wednesday, September 26, 2007 - 4:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What's this about Troy Percival now?

(Message edited by harpernottingham on September 26, 2007)

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 1339
Posted on Wednesday, September 26, 2007 - 4:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

To many retards

Indeed.

Jelk

Post Number: 4628
Posted on Wednesday, September 26, 2007 - 5:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

That report on News4 was a joke....Why does the city even give a f--k what happened. They are going to knock it down soon. This city is going further down the pervival sh--ter. I am planning on moving next yr out of state. The job market here sucks...& nothing seems to be turning around. To many retards betting that the auto industry will make a comeback....

Translation = I have no idea what's going on.

Kid_dynamite
Username: Kid_dynamite

Post Number: 250
Posted on Wednesday, September 26, 2007 - 6:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Alright, well, see you later CPU4346. Off to the "pervival" greener pasture, huh?

Jrvass
Username: Jrvass

Post Number: 225
Posted on Wednesday, September 26, 2007 - 7:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

2 ?'s and a statement...

1. "pervival"?

2. Why are the Tiger's paying for security and not the city?

3. CPU4346 will be around until at least next year. Pissing and moaning about Detroit and all us losers who aren't moving out also.

You can enjoy the next 3 months at least, of griping.

Civilprotectionunit4346

Post Number: 511
Posted on Wednesday, September 26, 2007 - 7:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1.) The Auto Industry will not bring back this area. Someone needs to pull there head out of there ass & realize that some other kind of industry is needed here...But no one seems to have been doing jack & shit for the past 20 yrs or so since the auto industrys decline. Another thing all these people who think it's going so great downtowm...how come they can't fill all the loft's & condo's downtown. Before you put your foot in your mouth & complain more about me whining about how bad it is...has anyone seen the current economic situation of this state & area.

2.) I will be leaving & moving to greener pastures...don't see myself making any gains finacially here. With the way they want to pay people here to work fulltime because they are to cheap give a decent wage. At least on the east coast I will be able to find a job that will pay me fairly for my skills.

3.) The only one who will be pissing & moaning about people are folks like you Jrvas who can't deal with the truth.

4.) It's only a matter of time before this area becomes more like Gary, Indiana. With the way the rate people are flocking out of this state and moving elsewhere due to the job & economic situation here. I have a buddy in FL & he says he see's more MI plates then any other out of state plates where he lives in Tampa.

At least I got 3 months to say goodbye to some friends I made here & at least have an open view on subjects such as this.

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 43
Posted on Wednesday, September 26, 2007 - 7:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Yeah, Carmen's hair needs to be demolished."

Wow, that would be like me judging Alan Lee's Gray-head turf.

I don't understand how you people can look beyond what the sources are providing you with. Sheesh, what a bunch of critics.

Detroitrise

Post Number: 44
Posted on Wednesday, September 26, 2007 - 7:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Besides, the crazy, big hair styles like Carmen had are making a fashionable comeback. That British style hair doo, the Suits with the vest, and the Afros from the 70s already had it's welcome, now it's time for 50s/80s fashions to return (leather jackets, etc.).

Jrvass
Username: Jrvass

Post Number: 227
Posted on Wednesday, September 26, 2007 - 8:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Goodbye CPU4346

Drm
Username: Drm

Post Number: 1151
Posted on Wednesday, September 26, 2007 - 10:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I have a buddy in FL & he says he see's more MI plates then any other out of state plates where he lives in Tampa.

If people moved to Florida from Michigan, wouldn't they have Florida plates?

Detroitrise

Post Number: 50
Posted on Wednesday, September 26, 2007 - 10:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Drm, he may just be speaking of the visitors to Florida.

Yes, you must have a plate with the state you live at on the back of your car.

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 601
Posted on Wednesday, September 26, 2007 - 10:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

urbanize, i like the new handle

Civilprotectionunit4346

Post Number: 512
Posted on Friday, September 28, 2007 - 7:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No my friend stated these are people who have moved their...due to the lack of jobs here. Im sorry to say this..but this area isn't going to see a major revitalization....You will see some jobs...but it will not what everyone expects. I will miss my friends here, but I have to do what I need to do....bad job market & bad economy aren't helping me here make a better salary. People will continue to leave to earn a living for their families & themselves. I am really starting to believe those economic forecasters that are saying this area is going to become a ghost town. Some parts of it seem already has happened. You can brag about the new riverfront & new condo's being built..but you have to ask yourself...are people really flocking to move downtown?

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 914
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 4:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To many retards

As opposed to TOO many idiots?

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.