Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Highland Park Police? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Pythonmaster
Username: Pythonmaster

Post Number: 100
Posted on Tuesday, September 25, 2007 - 12:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://farm1.static.flickr.com /202/502043161_7852181780_o.jp g

I saw a Highland Park Police car on patrol near 6 and John R last week. I thought there were only State Police in HP. Anyone know the story?

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 10237
Posted on Tuesday, September 25, 2007 - 12:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I believe that HP has taken over that function within the last few months.

Username: 7051

Post Number: 43
Posted on Tuesday, September 25, 2007 - 1:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They had the Wayne county sheriff for about 4-5 years (until this July). They are in the process of restarting a police department and are hiring MCOLES certified cops as part-time emplyees with no benefits. Once these new cops ratify a contract, the city is a also reestablishing a fire department with some new full time hires. The FD there has had a few older full timers and a bunch of parttimers the last 5 years. It all looks like a permanent break from a Public Safety system (employees are cops AND firemen) which fails miserably in suburban cities who have had it since the 1970's public safety bandwagon (not to mention its TOTAL worthlessness in HP since it took hold in 1986 and was fully implemented by 1994.)

Some longtime police officers in HP are still there and some are being rehired. I have personal knowledge of many of these people. Let's just say that there's a good reason that Highland Park became the drug capital of Metro Detroit from the mid 70's until the present.

Most businesses and most residents(if they don't have a relative or friend as an HP cop, city council member, etc.) will tell you that the Wayne County Sheriff was a HUGE improvment over HP's old force. But since Granholm wanted her guy(Blackwell) as a new receiver instead of Engler's appointed receiver, it's a return to the old guard. Blackwell is the son of a Blackwell who presided as mayor over HP's decline during the 70's. He supposedly brought federal money to HP, but on a $1 for the city, $1 for him basis. His son is also notorious as he was an appointed general manager in the Detroit Fire Departmentin the early 90's who was on camera as never being at work and was finally let go (Alonzo Bates separated at birth twin).

At least the previous receiver in HP was a CPA, Blackwell's only business experience is on the public trough.

Mrsjdaniels
Username: Mrsjdaniels

Post Number: 256
Posted on Tuesday, September 25, 2007 - 3:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DO NOT SPEED - they will pull you over for anything then goat you to coming to court and get $100 out of you

Jfried
Username: Jfried

Post Number: 1073
Posted on Tuesday, September 25, 2007 - 4:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrt Blackwell. I hope he gets another radio show.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.