Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Wonderful night in the D! » Archive through September 23, 2007 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Fishtoes2000
Username: Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 292
Posted on Saturday, September 22, 2007 - 9:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was sorry to read that, Kid D. Our group actually did have a wonderful night. We biked from 7pm until 3am, including the UDM student bike ride. Downtown looked great and the weather was perfect. Fortunately we had no problems.

(Message edited by fishtoes2000 on September 22, 2007)

Supergay
Username: Supergay

Post Number: 91
Posted on Saturday, September 22, 2007 - 9:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well actually the upside of this bad crack or weird moon phase was that last night was the freakiest, bestest, awesomest night of karaoke all-stars ever at the Comet Bar.

I mean, tremendous.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 1682
Posted on Saturday, September 22, 2007 - 10:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Summer's last hurrah?

>Kid_dynamite

Don't take this the wrong way, but running after that guy was incredibly stupid. That's a really good way to end up as another crime stat.

We should start a list of street smart tips for people not so used to inner-city living.

1. Don't run after car-jackers. You might get shot.
2. Don't honk your horn at people walking in the middle of the street. You might get shot.

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 86
Posted on Saturday, September 22, 2007 - 10:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

3. Don't do no stripping for the Mayor. You might get shot.

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 30
Posted on Saturday, September 22, 2007 - 10:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

4. Don't even honk your horn at another car. You might get shot.

Drifterlee
Username: Drifterlee

Post Number: 6
Posted on Saturday, September 22, 2007 - 11:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You can't honk your horn in the suburbs or anywhere or you might get shot!

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 10285
Posted on Saturday, September 22, 2007 - 11:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ran into the Gent that owns the Bankle (sp?) Building just south of the Fine Arts...and he set me straight.

I thought he owned the whole space...for some reason those parties always seem to take up so much room...but I'm probably suffering from space/time pretzel-twists by the early morning hours when I seem to end up there.

He didn't know anything about the dead woman.

Kid_dynamite
Username: Kid_dynamite

Post Number: 230
Posted on Saturday, September 22, 2007 - 11:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yeah...well maybe it was not the best idea, iheartthed, but you have to let these fucking vampires know that this won't be tolerated here. You have to let them know that people are watching and it is not thier neighborhood..it's ours, and they can't just run amok at their will.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 1683
Posted on Sunday, September 23, 2007 - 12:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

3. Don't do no stripping for the Mayor. You might get shot.

LOL.

RIP stripper #2.

Jrvass
Username: Jrvass

Post Number: 224
Posted on Sunday, September 23, 2007 - 2:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Blow the Horn!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =BQpa8whzwAE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =TiWNw0A1Ijg&mode=related&sear ch=

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 11696
Posted on Sunday, September 23, 2007 - 9:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I went out to lock up the garage last night, not to late, maybe around 8 pm or so. Hear three gun shots off to the North, I'm guessing they were near the New Center area. Didn't think much of it. If you listen carefully, you'll hear gun shots more often than you think.

Harpernottingham
Username: Harpernottingham

Post Number: 270
Posted on Sunday, September 23, 2007 - 12:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KD gets bonus points for spelling "amok" correctly.
Well done, sir.

Harpernottingham
Username: Harpernottingham

Post Number: 271
Posted on Sunday, September 23, 2007 - 12:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Speaking of which, who's the hairy-handed gent who ran amok in Kent?

(Lately he's been overheard in Mayfair.)

(Message edited by harpernottingham on September 23, 2007)

Dissolvedgirl3
Username: Dissolvedgirl3

Post Number: 1
Posted on Sunday, September 23, 2007 - 1:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Man o man, I'm pretty new to DetroitYes! but I've lived in Detroit for six years...WSU area, Wooodbridge, etc...that night sounds insane. Love my neighborhood but I hear gunshots all the time. It's like "A Little Night Music" Detroit style. That makes me so angry about Showcase Collectibles because they're one of the only things worth going to on that stretch. Also, I was at the Comet Friday too...some awesome karaoke happening, for sure.

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 2380
Posted on Sunday, September 23, 2007 - 1:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Friday was one of those unseasonably hot summer nights that you typically get in July or August but rarely this late in September that gets everybody excited about being out and about. The fact that it was Friday also meant that a lot of people would be drinking. Put together the two and you have a mixture that's going to produce volatile situations.

A friend of mine once told me that Friday night is the one night of the week that you're most likely to be in a car accident that can lead to death. All of those intoxicated folks driving home from the bar after work is the reason your risk of a car accident goes up. One Friday night I had just entered the Fisher Freeway from Gratiot, heading west, when a car came at me head-on. Fortunately I was able to veer to the right to avoid a collision, but the driver of the other car never seemed aware that she was driving the wrong way and continued towards Gratiot. That was the scariest driving situation I had ever experienced.

Therefore, what Detroitrise was saying was not off the mark. Crazy things happen on Fridays and Saturdays. Throw in the unseasonably warm weather and some bad things were bound to happen.

(Message edited by royce on September 23, 2007)

(Message edited by royce on September 23, 2007)

Kid_dynamite

Post Number: 231
Posted on Sunday, September 23, 2007 - 1:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are people really that desensitized by these things? I'm a little surprised. I don't think there is anything normal about what I saw on Friday. I will never think that seeing someone breaking into a car, witnessing gunshots, or crashing a car into a storefront to loot it will ever cause me not to be disgusted.

And Detroitrise, just like TheJesus, I spent most of my life in the burbs. I have never seen the 3 things that I saw occur within ONE HOUR of each other out there. I'm sure it happens, but it would be extremely rare and it would be a huge deal.

(Message edited by kid dynamite on September 23, 2007)

Detroitrise

Post Number: 33
Posted on Sunday, September 23, 2007 - 2:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was just ironic that you happened to witness all of those things why what I personaly think is being nosy. When you first noticed the car break in, you actually walked around to the scene of the other incidents. I would be frightened to go outside after what just happened (whatever city or suburb I'm at), let along walk all the way to old Chinatown where all the Crackheads and Whinos congregate.

These things do happen in the suburbs, but just because you don't see them doesn't mean they don't happen. You put yourself in the driver seat of seeing all of these things that night.

So what you're trying to prove to me is nothing more than ignorance on your behalf.

Then again, you lived in the suburbs compared to me living in the city most of my life, so it probably did really shock you, as these things are less likely to happen like this in the suburbs not because of the people that live out there, but the police presence.

Kid_dynamite

Post Number: 232
Posted on Sunday, September 23, 2007 - 2:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitrise, can you read? I didn't walk around the scene to the other incidents. I was standing in the street, 100 feet from my garage when I heard and saw gunshots from 5 blocks away. It didn't taking more than 5 seconds for me to run inside my house and close the garage door. Later, after I went to the store, I happened to drive by a chaotic scene on Cass on my way home.

Please explain your feeble attempt of an insult by telling me I was being nosy.

"These things do happen in the suburbs, but just because you don't see them doesn't mean they don't happen. You put yourself in the driver seat of seeing all of these things that night."

I didnt say they don't happen. Again, try reading my posts all the way through before commenting. But, that's irrelevant. The point is, this kind of lawlessness is not something I have EVER witnessed out there. What happens nightly in Detroit happens once or twice a year in Farmington Hills. Please tell me that you are not that disillusioned to think otherwise.

I feel like I am dumbing myself down by even responding to your words of wisdom right now.

Detroitrise

Post Number: 34
Posted on Sunday, September 23, 2007 - 2:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What I AM saying though is that you're so surprised tht these things happened. My general point was things happen like this on a Friday night when people intoxicate themselves and become walking zombies in a trance. They all don't have to occur at once though like you're emphasizing. It happens everywhere. There could be a robbery in one place and a rollover in another. Sheesh, but my point is you're making a bigger deal out of it.

(Message edited by Detroitrise on September 23, 2007)

Greatlakes
Username: Greatlakes

Post Number: 5
Posted on Sunday, September 23, 2007 - 3:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's just the spirit we need to lead Detroit on its way back up! Cars being driven into stores? Kids getting robbed at bus stops for their coats and getting shot at back to school parties? Ten people killed in three days? What can you do, eh?

New city motto: "It happens everywhere. Stop making a big deal about it."

(Message edited by GreatLakes on September 23, 2007)

(Message edited by GreatLakes on September 23, 2007)

Kid_dynamite

Post Number: 233
Posted on Sunday, September 23, 2007 - 3:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"What I AM saying though is that you're so surprised that these things happened"

Yeah, I am surprised. I hope I never reach a point where there is no shock value in seeing shootings and lootings.

"My general point was things happen like this on a Friday night when people intoxicate themselves and become walking zombies in a trance. They all don't have to occur at once though like you're emphasizing. It happens everywhere"

Never once growing up did I ever seeing zombie-like deadbeats roaming my subdivision in drug induced trances. I think I will go out on a limb and say that in the 20 years I lived at my parents home that I grew up in, I never saw one. Nor did I ever hear a gunshot once, nor did I ever once see looting. I honestly don't ever remember any car ever being broken into on my street. EVER.

Dude, what's wrong with you? I love the city. Most people do too on DY. We talk about the good things that are happening in the city and the bad. People inform each other here on things that are happening around us. If bad news like this doesn't interest you, don't comment on it.

Kathinozarks
Username: Kathinozarks

Post Number: 880
Posted on Sunday, September 23, 2007 - 3:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, Detroitrise. First you call Kd nosy (which wasn't the case). Next you suggest:
"So what you're trying to prove to me is nothing more than ignorance on your behalf."

These little attacks all because Kd is a bit less jaded than you? There I was welcoming you and feeling bad that people were treating you in a 'not so nice' fashion. Well, well, well. Guess I should've waited.

Then you say: "Then again, you lived in the suburbs compared to me living in the city most of my life, so it probably did really shock you, as these things are less likely to happen like this in the suburbs not because of the people that live out there, but the police presence."
------------------------

You stated that you have lived in the city 'most of my life', so your info on a better/bigger police presence being the reason for lower crime rates in the suburbs doesn't hold much weight. You don't really know that to be true, do you?

Anyone can tell you that suburbanites are less likely to throw a mattress out of a window or run screaming after a tweaking wild woman in the middle of the night down the middle of the street.

Millions of great people living in big, urban cities, but the dynamics are totally different than in the suburbs; and more police presence is, maybe, a tiny percent of the reason. IMO

Detroitrise

Post Number: 35
Posted on Sunday, September 23, 2007 - 3:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Anyone can tell you that suburbanites are less likely to throw a mattress out of a window or run screaming after a tweaking wild woman in the middle of the night down the middle of the street."

That is also a false assumption. The same type of people that live in the suburbs also live in the city. Income I think has nothing to do with a person's overall personality and attitude towards anything. People in the Suburbs can easily throw a matress out of the window as well. I haven't seen anyone in the city throw a mattress out a window, so that's another false inner city statistic.

You're only using that logic according to statistics, and statistics are not always correct.

The people in the city of Detroit aren't stupid. They know that if they were to commit a crime, they would be less likely to get caught in the city of the Detroit than let's say Farmington Hills. This is probably one of the main reasons why more crimes are committed here.

In addition, I could care less what others think. Thank you for welcoming me Kathinozarks, but I don't necessarily need pity. I just was trying to be nice.

(Message edited by Detroitrise on September 23, 2007)

Kid_dynamite

Post Number: 234
Posted on Sunday, September 23, 2007 - 3:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Again, you exhibit what a top-notch debater you are.

Detroitrise

Post Number: 36
Posted on Sunday, September 23, 2007 - 3:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Again, you exhibit what a top-notch debater you are."

Ok, since I've see you've lowered to sarcasm, I will go ahead and agree with you. Quoting myself "The world was and perfect and ritzy when I notice someone robbing my possession, then crashing into a store to rob things. I was so shocked that I had to tell everyone about it and put a sarcastic description on it. I never thought anything like this could ever happen."

Kathinozarks
Username: Kathinozarks

Post Number: 883
Posted on Sunday, September 23, 2007 - 3:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ghetto_butterfly
Username: Ghetto_butterfly

Post Number: 741
Posted on Saturday, September 22, 2007 - 8:08 pm:

------------------------------ ------------------------------ --------------------
I heard some noise last night, followed by some yelling. Looked out the window and somebody had thrown a mattress out the window. Never seen that before. Then, later that night I woke up to some yelling, again looked out the window and saw a woman in a white nightgown running away and screaming, with a man trying to catch her. I heard him saying "come on baby, it's me" over and over but she kept running and screaming, running up the street. Guess she was high on some kind of bad crack.
-----------------------
Detroitrise: "I haven't seen anyone in the city throw a mattress out a window, so that's another false inner city statistic."

Oops.

Detroitrise: "You're only using that logic according to statistics, and statistics are not always correct."
---------
I never use statistics. Statistics are compiled by groups with a specific agenda and therefore are suspect in their validity. I most always say IMO, as I did above.

You are fun.

Kid_dynamite

Post Number: 235
Posted on Sunday, September 23, 2007 - 4:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Ok, since I've see you've lowered to sarcasm, I will go ahead and agree with you. Quoting myself "The world was and perfect and ritzy when I notice someone robbing my possession, then crashing into a store to rob things. I was so shocked that I had to tell everyone about it and put a sarcastic description on it. I never thought anything like this could ever happen."

I never said anybody robbed my possession. It was not my car. Try reading the posts again. I didn't use any sarcasm when I posted that.

I did however, use sarcasm to offer rebuttals to your brilliant comments. It is kind of hard not to when engaging in a discussion with such a captivating individual like yourself.

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 89
Posted on Sunday, September 23, 2007 - 8:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why are you folks busting the Kid's balls? He did the single thing that most Detroiters don't do: he got involved.

Damn straight, the Kid stood up for his neighbors, his neighborhood, his city and of all the things he deserves; none of it involves backhanded slaps.

Hey, Kid, thanx for doing what you did, and for letting us know about the wonderful night in the D.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 10308
Posted on Sunday, September 23, 2007 - 9:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yanno, fuck YEAH, thanks Gnome.

Kid, if you're old enough to drink...I'll buy you one if you get to an FSC.

Cheers!

Detroitrulez
Username: Detroitrulez

Post Number: 424
Posted on Sunday, September 23, 2007 - 9:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Urbanize, welcome Back!