Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Mike's Ham Place and Hygrade Deli « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Drjeff
Username: Drjeff

Post Number: 8
Posted on Tuesday, September 25, 2007 - 2:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I drive by these places on Michigan Ave. often and have always wondered about them. Any good? Is the Hygrade Deli related to the Hygrade company that makes (or used to) Ball Park Franks?

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 1976
Posted on Tuesday, September 25, 2007 - 3:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hygrade's has been there for decades. The name was originally selected because of it's location to the old Hygrade's rendering plant, on Michigan where I-96 crosses it now. The plant was demolished about 1965 or so, but the name of the restaurant seems to have hung on.

On a foggy night, you could smell the rendering plant a mile in either direction. Not offensive, but not particularly pleasing, either. Let's just say it was unique.

Mjb3
Username: Mjb3

Post Number: 158
Posted on Tuesday, September 25, 2007 - 3:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Drjeff,

The Hygrade serves good food, don't let the surrounding blocks scare you away.

Soup's are to die for! Beef barley - my fav. Check it out, you'll be won over.

As for Mike's, can't vouch for it. If you like ham, check out Jonny's Ham King on Fort St. Used to be at Fort and Rosa Parks but they moved down Fort closer to bridge. The Ham king swch is outstanding.

Check it out!

Drjeff
Username: Drjeff

Post Number: 9
Posted on Tuesday, September 25, 2007 - 3:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the info! I will have to check out the Hygrade sometime. The surroundings don't scare me at all. I regularly enjoy driving down Michigan on my way home from work (at WSU). I see so many of these little places that look like they've been there forever around the city and wonder if it's worth my while to try them out.

Pgn421
Username: Pgn421

Post Number: 139
Posted on Tuesday, September 25, 2007 - 3:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mikes Ham is great! Ive been going there for about 30 years. Excellent bean and pea soups.

Granmontrules
Username: Granmontrules

Post Number: 177
Posted on Tuesday, September 25, 2007 - 4:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

YUM! I have been going for years. Hygrade has excellent corned been and the breakfast is excellent. It is cheap and clean!

Reetz12
Username: Reetz12

Post Number: 189
Posted on Tuesday, September 25, 2007 - 4:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mike's has a very limited menu.

Breakfast - Eggs, Toast and Ham.

Lunch - Ham Sandwich, Bean Soup or Split Pea Soup, also cherry or lemon pie.

That's it don't expect anything else.

It is very clean and quick. Not to mention excellent!

As far as Hygrade, they have a full-menu, it is alright in my mind. I feel the service needs improvement and yes i've mentioned it to them, not just on this forum.

Corned beef is good. Don't care for the breakfast, would rather go to Johnny's Ham King on fort street.

Rustic
Username: Rustic

Post Number: 3172
Posted on Tuesday, September 25, 2007 - 9:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

" ... cheap and clean!"

Two preferred qualities in restaurants and women ...

Corktownmark
Username: Corktownmark

Post Number: 345
Posted on Tuesday, September 25, 2007 - 9:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I haven't been to hygrade for a while. when are they open these days? The breakfast there is great.

Cris
Username: Cris

Post Number: 470
Posted on Tuesday, September 25, 2007 - 9:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hygrades has a really, really good corned beef sandwich!!

I always wondered about the name, too. Interesting.

Last I checked they were open until about 3:00 in the afternoon, if I remember right.

Detroithabitater
Username: Detroithabitater

Post Number: 41
Posted on Tuesday, September 25, 2007 - 9:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've been going to the hygrade deli since 2001 and love it. Friendliest waitresses in Detroit!

Track75
Username: Track75

Post Number: 2599
Posted on Tuesday, September 25, 2007 - 10:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Both are good places. Back when Cadillac was open on Clark St. the Hygrade was packed for lunch every day.

Mikes was a favorite with cops. Some guy tried to rob it one day when six cops were inside.
Cops 1 Robber 0.

Pgn421

Post Number: 145
Posted on Wednesday, September 26, 2007 - 8:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

reetz! hows bros Gene,Brent and Terry?

Dabirch
Username: Dabirch

Post Number: 2419
Posted on Wednesday, September 26, 2007 - 8:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some memories are a little foggy, but did not there used to be another restaurant named Hygrade's basically across the street from the deli on Michigan?

Cris

Post Number: 475
Posted on Wednesday, September 26, 2007 - 8:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dabirch, I think you might be right. There was another building on the other side of Michigan Ave with a small sign that says Hygrade's. It's closed up and abandoned.

Pgn421

Post Number: 148
Posted on Wednesday, September 26, 2007 - 8:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yes, there was, it was Hygrade deli,also

Track75
Username: Track75

Post Number: 2601
Posted on Wednesday, September 26, 2007 - 9:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The other was Higrade (yep, with an "i" instead of a "y") Restaurant.

Cris

Post Number: 476
Posted on Wednesday, September 26, 2007 - 9:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's right, I remember that spelling (Higrade) on the sign. How long ago was it in business there?

Detroithabitater
Username: Detroithabitater

Post Number: 43
Posted on Wednesday, September 26, 2007 - 10:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I ate lunch at the higrade restaurant in 2003, i'm not sure how much longer it lasted.

Luckycar
Username: Luckycar

Post Number: 44
Posted on Thursday, September 27, 2007 - 6:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tell Stu I said hello.Been going to the Hygrade for 30 years.Same family owns it.Get the cornbeef and eggs pancake style,with a grilled kaiser roll.Heaven.The old waitresses from my younger days are all gone now,they were a trip.Lots of cops used to go there,suits from Clark St.Caddy Plant.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.