Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Old Photo - Country Club of Detroit « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Ookpik
Username: Ookpik

Post Number: 336
Posted on Wednesday, September 26, 2007 - 9:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I posted the photo below on one of my blogs where it was identified by MikeM as the Country Club of Detroit. The second photo shows what the area looks like today. The following photos are the rest of the set. Anyone know who the golfers might be? Or the event?

Larger View

Larger View

Larger View

Larger View

Larger View

Larger View

Ookpik

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 1786
Posted on Wednesday, September 26, 2007 - 11:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think these guys were invololved that day somehow..........

another fine mess!

Tarkus
Username: Tarkus

Post Number: 385
Posted on Wednesday, September 26, 2007 - 11:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That might be Arnold Palmer when he played CCD for the amateur championship.

Crystal
Username: Crystal

Post Number: 33
Posted on Wednesday, September 26, 2007 - 12:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think these guys were there too.

Hpgrmln
Username: Hpgrmln

Post Number: 196
Posted on Wednesday, September 26, 2007 - 1:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wheres Bagger Vance?

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 4972
Posted on Wednesday, September 26, 2007 - 2:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In the first pic, is that Hank the Deuce's mansion? Or was his place the first one in off Provencal?

Ookpik

Post Number: 337
Posted on Wednesday, September 26, 2007 - 2:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Patrick,

MikeM wondered the same thing but my research indicates that the house pictured is NOT Henry Ford II's place. I believe Ford's place is at 160 Provencal, about 4 houses up the road.

Ookpik

Patrick

Post Number: 4978
Posted on Wednesday, September 26, 2007 - 9:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That is only street I have never been down in the area. I want to zip down Provencal and snap some pics but the security patrol might call the cops.

Patrick

Post Number: 4979
Posted on Wednesday, September 26, 2007 - 9:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ook, can I get a copy of the pic without "copy" written on it?

Goblue
Username: Goblue

Post Number: 387
Posted on Thursday, September 27, 2007 - 12:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ook: One of the pics sort of looks like Palmer putting...I can't remember the year he won at CCD...1954??...in another pic the hat is reminiscent of Snead but that would be a long shot guess.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 5419
Posted on Thursday, September 27, 2007 - 12:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Henry Ford II house was the former Ray (or Roy?)Chapin mansion on Lakeshore at Provencal. That house in the picture is not the same house (although it has that Georgian look).

The Chapin mansion was razed and subdivided into the McMansion condos that occupy the Lakeshore Rd. site today. It may have been Henry II who did the razing and subdivision. That was around the time he was into his 3rd marriage (to Katherine DuRoss).

(Message edited by Gistok on September 27, 2007)

Sstashmoo
Username: Sstashmoo

Post Number: 435
Posted on Thursday, September 27, 2007 - 1:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Isn't that Ben Hogan? Sortofa guess. But that does look like him in the one pic.

Crystal
Username: Crystal

Post Number: 34
Posted on Thursday, September 27, 2007 - 6:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

More reasons it can't be the Henry Ford II (former Roy D Chapin) house at 421 Lakeshore, are that the setback on the homes was much greater that in the photo, Lakeshore is/was a wide boulevard, and the area between Lakeshore and the Lake St Clair was not wide enough to accommodate sand traps and large trees.

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 3485
Posted on Thursday, September 27, 2007 - 11:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

After Henry II sold the Chapin home, he moved to Provencal. I think Ook is right; the new Ford residence was farther west.

The Amateur US Open was held at the CCD in the early fifties, but these pictures look older.

Patrick

Post Number: 4982
Posted on Thursday, September 27, 2007 - 1:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think HFII owned two homes on Provencal. There is the one first Georgian on the private stretch, nearest the gatehouse which may have been his, and then there is the house his widow is or was trying to sell. Iacocca tried to buy one of the houses from HFII but the Deuce blew him off.

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1965
Posted on Friday, September 28, 2007 - 8:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When my law partner and I drove down Lakeshore on our way to work, we would often see Hank the Deuce and his driver, also "going to work". They would pull out of his beautiful mansion on Lakeshore in a Ford Victoria, the boss always sitting in the front passenger seat and always reading the morning Free Press. None of this back seat stuff for Hank.
Though I assume they were headed to Dearborn, they would turn right at Mt. Elliott rather than continue on Jefferson.
And when our kids were younger, we used to take them over to the Ford mansion on Halloween night for trick or treating, knocking at the side door rather than the front door! A sign actually directed you to the side door. Great treats, too!
We hated to see that beautiful home finally face the wrecker's ball.

Lmr
Username: Lmr

Post Number: 104
Posted on Friday, September 28, 2007 - 10:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

These pictures look more like the late 1930's-early 1940's to me, from the style of the clothes and cars (granted, it's hard to see them clearly). Could also be right after WWII but I would go more with right before WWII.

Stromberg2
Username: Stromberg2

Post Number: 44
Posted on Friday, September 28, 2007 - 7:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The_rock, Did you ever get to meet Hank?

Stromberg2, Just curious what he was like.

Ahartz
Username: Ahartz

Post Number: 9
Posted on Friday, September 28, 2007 - 7:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

that home is still there on a street called Country club, it runs from Moross around to Kercheval, at the curve is the entrance to now the Country Club. That house is 2 doors down from that entrance...andy

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1967
Posted on Friday, September 28, 2007 - 8:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, Stromberg, we never got to meet him. The closest I ever got to the Ford family was Edsel Jr. He has done a lot for the city. He is a really good guy, very down to earth.
Once we were stopped for a traffic light on E. Jefferson and Henry and his driver pulled up next to us, and we waved "hello", and he acknowledged us with a wave, but we did not exchange pleasantries!!
When we took the kids "trick or treating", we were greeted at the side door by his Chinese staff who were very courteous.
Hank the Deuce has had a lot of stories told about him, but there is no doubt in my mind that he took over the company at a very young age, probably when he was not ready to do so, but brought the FMC back to profitability.
And his former home on Lakeshore was just beautiful. It was so sad to see it go the way of so many of those beautiful mansions.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 1994
Posted on Friday, September 28, 2007 - 8:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I shook hands with him once. It was at Greenfield Village at "First Day" ceremonies for the U.S. postage stamp honoring his grandfather. It was a small crowd, and he was very pleasant and autographed the USPS program for anyone who asked. I've since given it to a real philatelist who appreciated it more than I.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 4118
Posted on Friday, September 28, 2007 - 8:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My uncle John ran the magazine stand on the corner of Michigan and Schaefer during WWII and up to 1947, when the previous owner returned from the Army and reclaimed the corner business. So, occasionally, the old man Ford might have his driver buy something there when going to the former Ford HQ on Schaefer.

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 888
Posted on Saturday, September 29, 2007 - 1:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is a vid of Provencal Rd to Kercheval:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =boNCiZuAiyA

Ookpik

Post Number: 338
Posted on Saturday, September 29, 2007 - 2:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Bullet! Where ya been? I think you got it! Last house in the video. Don't drive past Gordie Howe's house doing that or you will get in trouble. ;)

Ookpik

(Message edited by ookpik on September 29, 2007)

Patrick

Post Number: 4989
Posted on Saturday, September 29, 2007 - 2:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where does Howe live anyways? Fraser? GP?

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 889
Posted on Saturday, September 29, 2007 - 10:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Ook. I have been on a, er, lets just say its nice to breath the fresh air again!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.