Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » ISO The Clamshop - 2675 E. Grand Blvd. « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 4177
Posted on Wednesday, September 26, 2007 - 11:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anybody have have any memories, stories?

Below is an exchange with friend of mine who has been trying to track it down. We put together this image including a match book he picked up off ebay. The listing is from my 1940 Polk City Guide.

clam shop detroit

"In my archeological journey to my past, one place that has particularly gripped me is this spot my father used to take me, The Clam Shop. It's address was 2675 E. Grand Blvd."

"So what did you eat there? Clams? :-) Wondering about the emotional attachment...

The blue arrow on your map would quite likely be the correct address. I found it up in my 1940 Detroit City Guide. It would have been the second building from the corner so you building is a definitely candidate. Also since the corner building had many tenants, it must have been larger and, I am guessing, was probably torn down when a bend in E. Grand Blvd. was created to accommodate the I-75. I also checked and made sure that odd numbers are on the south side of E. Grand Blvd."

"It was surrounded by smoke spewing industrial buildings then, wall to wall, and reminded me of that Art Spiegelman graphic story "Maus", don't know if you know of it. Spiegelman captured this quality of Poland under Nazi Germany ...very ominous dark scary, albeit satirical... that's how the Clam Shop neighborhood was, at least to this little kid. But inside, it was a rip-roaring speak-easy sort of place that served amazing seafood (duh). Just bought those matches for $4 on e-bay. Truly rare."

Hornwrecker
Username: Hornwrecker

Post Number: 1895
Posted on Wednesday, September 26, 2007 - 12:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1952 aerial EGB and Russell

Dannyv
Username: Dannyv

Post Number: 20
Posted on Wednesday, September 26, 2007 - 2:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In '69, I had a roommate who praised The Clam Shop as his favorite Detroit restaurant. Years later in '73, I took a date there, my future wife and ex. She threw up off the porch of her parents home when I took her home that night. We only went there the one time.

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 4992
Posted on Wednesday, September 26, 2007 - 4:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And Hornwrecker steps in with another map pulled from his utility belt!

:-)

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 3483
Posted on Wednesday, September 26, 2007 - 4:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is the building pointed to by the blue arrow. An address sign on the side shows 2679, but it probably is referring to the building next to it or behind it.

Clam Shop - 2675 E Grand Boulevard

Walloon
Username: Walloon

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, September 26, 2007 - 5:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think the above is just west of 2675.

But I wanted to ask Hornwrecker how to get aerials from the 50's/60s as he did.

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 3484
Posted on Wednesday, September 26, 2007 - 5:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If that's the case, then the building is gone.

For aerials: http://tools.comm.wayne.edu/me dia/low_res/aerial_photos/inde x.htm

Neilr
Username: Neilr

Post Number: 583
Posted on Wednesday, September 26, 2007 - 5:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember it being a smaller free-standing building up on a bit of a hill.

Downtownguy
Username: Downtownguy

Post Number: 66
Posted on Wednesday, September 26, 2007 - 6:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The building in the photo above is the Pioneer Building (2679 East Grand Boulevard) home to several artist's studios. Website is here: http://www.thepioneerbuilding. com/

Open house on Oct. 6!

Dabirch
Username: Dabirch

Post Number: 2418
Posted on Wednesday, September 26, 2007 - 6:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oddly, I have never seen an artist studio space that size that is predominantly filled with middle-aged women.

Hornwrecker
Username: Hornwrecker

Post Number: 1896
Posted on Wednesday, September 26, 2007 - 6:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

2675 EGBlvd

Looking at the 1921 Sanborn map for that area, the bldg that Mikem posted was the Trippensee Mfg Plant #2, auto body maker (in green).

2675 EGB was a 2 story bldg just to the east of it (red).

Downtownguy
Username: Downtownguy

Post Number: 68
Posted on Wednesday, September 26, 2007 - 6:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From the Pioneer Building website:

"Constructed as a factory in 1914, the Pioneer Building was converted to artists’ studios in the mid-1990s. The building and its artists are part of a national trend to resurrect industrial spaces, transforming them into vibrant workplaces.

The Pioneer Building is located at 2679 East Grand Boulevard in Detroit, one mile east of Woodward Avenue and just east of Russell Street."

Not sure why the Sanborn map's addresses don't jive, but the website's photo of their building matches Mikem's. Nice family owns the building.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.