Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » WSU To Discontinue Men's Hockey Program « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Wsukid
Username: Wsukid

Post Number: 166
Posted on Wednesday, September 26, 2007 - 6:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

here is the article:

Sept. 26, 2007

DETROIT - Wayne State University will discontinue sponsorship of the men's hockey program at the end of the current academic year. The decision, approved by the WSU Board of Governors today, was necessary due to continuing reductions in state appropriations to higher education.

"Anytime you eliminate a program, it is a very difficult move. We exhausted every possible option before taking this step," stated WSU Director of Athletics Rob Fournier. "The reality of the economics of the state of Michigan, the educational imperatives of the University, and the need to manage our resources effectively led to this difficult decision. Importantly, however, the educational objectives of the men's hockey student-athletes will be protected."

All current student-athlete scholarships will be honored provided they meet satisfactory progress standards under NCAA guidelines. Releases will be offered to those who wish to transfer to other schools next summer, where they will be eligible to participate immediately as the normal residency requirements of the NCAA are waived.

This will be the ninth year for the Warrior men's hockey program and eighth consecutive as a member of College Hockey America (CHA), which includes Bemidji (Minn.) State University, Niagara (N.Y.) University, Robert Morris University in Pittsburgh, and the University of Alabama-Huntsville.

Wayne State University won three consecutive CHA tournament titles (2001-02-03). Of the current seventeen (17) sport programs, men's hockey is the most expensive and has the largest operating budget.

The decision does not impact the Wayne State University's women's hockey program.

Voice: (313) 577-7542
Fax: (313) 577-5997
Email: jeff.weiss@wayne.edu

here is the link: http://wsuathletics.cstv.com/s ports/m-hockey/spec-rel/092607 aad.html

To say the least I am very disappointed that the hockey program was discontinued. It was great to see they played the toughest college hockey teams like UM, MSU, wisconsin,and minnesota. Im thinking along with the loss in appropriations from the state, they played didnt play on campus, they played at the state fairgrounds so it was harder to establish a fan base away from campus.

Dbc
Username: Dbc

Post Number: 78
Posted on Wednesday, September 26, 2007 - 10:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That sucks. I'm surprised, because weren't they supposed to build a new hockey arena for the team?

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 5996
Posted on Thursday, September 27, 2007 - 2:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm saddened too because with some of these victories & championships, you'd think they would start recruiting some of the better talent in the US & Canada.

And while it probably isn't related, I'm sure it must be disappointing for the players to hear this in the wake of WSU getting all of that other development & research money as well.

(Message edited by smogboy on September 27, 2007)

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1118
Posted on Thursday, September 27, 2007 - 2:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You can win all the games every season but if people don't come to the games nor sponsors really sustain the team..... simple equation.

It's gotta make sense all around.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 6000
Posted on Thursday, September 27, 2007 - 2:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It still makes me wonder just HOW much they're saving by slashing the men's program and not the ladies. Ideally both would be viable and if they would've ditch both programs I can see it as a serious cost saver. Was it the ice bill that killed the program? I know that the men's program generally has more sheets of ice than the ladies. Most of their equipment was sponsored. Maybe it was the travel costs?

More musings from someone who'll be saddened by the loss of this sport at WSU.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 3711
Posted on Thursday, September 27, 2007 - 3:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Probably has to do with Title IX.

Emu_steve
Username: Emu_steve

Post Number: 467
Posted on Thursday, September 27, 2007 - 7:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

couple of thoughts (despite my username I'm an undergrad alum of WSU so I follow their athletics as well). Most of this is my speculation:

1). I believe that at one time there were dreams of a basketball arena AND hockey arena. We can kiss the hockey arena goodbye.

2). Saving $ from men's hockey might make it possible to reallocate SOME of that budget item to FB and hoops (hope the athletic budget isn't going to be reduced dollar for dollar).

3). Not having to worry about a hockey arena might make it MORE likely to build a basketball arena.

4). WSU is over 400m (goal: 500m) in their capital campaign. Wonder when they will start talking about a basketball arena? (Wayne has several building projects started so I wouldn't be surprised if they want to finish them before starting the School of Business and new arena. Pure SPECULATION on my part.

5). I wouldn't be surprised if Title IX wasn't a consideration.

6). Reid/Fournier (the AD) were a good combination. I hope Wayne athletics don't regress after Reid is gone.

Jelk
Username: Jelk

Post Number: 4631
Posted on Thursday, September 27, 2007 - 10:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well when state funding requires 16% tuition hikes universities have to cut the fat somewhere and there is no easier fat to cut than intercollegiate athletics.

That said Wayne's hockey program strike me as the wrong place to start cutting. There aren't a lot of schools with hockey programs and based on past success the hockey team could have anchored their athletic department. Football would have been the obvious sport to cut. No one cares about D-2 football in this town and football is expensive. Cutting football also makes Title IX less burdensome. Conceivably cutting football would also allow Wayne to cut some excess women's sports and remain Title IX compliant. That would mean more money pumped back into academics and student services that benefit more than the 12-25 participants in an intercollegiate sport.

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 778
Posted on Thursday, September 27, 2007 - 12:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am a HUGE college hockey fan, and this has really hit the college hockey world hard. It is very much a niche sport, with only 59 schools participating at the D1 level.

Mark my word, this does not just hurt WSU athletics...because of this, t least 3 other programs will fold. College hockey is in trouble if they cannot figure out a ay to align conferences without discouraging new programs.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 4093
Posted on Thursday, September 27, 2007 - 12:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why cannot men's hockey be continued as a club sport--using the athletic facilities of the university?

I played rugby--a club sport--at UW-Madison. We had access to many of the same facilities that the football team had except for their specialized facilities, such as their own weight room and the stadium, proper. We could have special hours for the Memorial Shell (indoor six-lane 200-meter running track) and the McLain Center (astroturf shortened indoor football field) facilities just across the alley from the Camp Randall football stadium for colder weather just as the scholarship sports could, etc. In addition, there were a number of other large gymnasiums and other facilities available and more are now being planned for both the scholarship and club sports. We provided our own funds for traveling for games and played other such university club-sport teams, especially when getting together during spring breaks on South Padre Island or similar locales.

There eventually was a woman's rugby club-sports team there, which conducted their business similarly. We might drink with some of them in the bars around Camp Randall, afterwards. Quit whining. There are alternatives.

(Message edited by LivernoisYard on September 27, 2007)

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 431
Posted on Thursday, September 27, 2007 - 1:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You've got to pay to play. Barring any alumnis with big buckaroos, you can kiss the program goodbye.
I'm surprised they lasted as long as they did.
Without a heavy hitter (like Michigan's Red Berenson) Wayne State will always have trouble getting a hockey program to go full time.

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 780
Posted on Thursday, September 27, 2007 - 1:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Paulmcall, Bill Wilkinson is highly respected in college hockey circles. Red Berenson could have done no better in starting a program here.

Red is a phenominal coach (and a good friend of my father so i'll spare spartan criticism) but his style is much like Wilkinson's in terms of his take on the development of the program as a whole. I dont think anyone could have done better than coach Wilkinson.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.