Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Ferrari following Audi's Path in Engine Efficiency « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Peachlaser
Username: Peachlaser

Post Number: 123
Posted on Thursday, September 27, 2007 - 10:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

By using Direct Injection technology, Ferrari has found a 40% reduction in emissions and a 10% increase in power. Audi used this technology in its Audi R8 prototype endurance sportscar racer and dominated the sport with its combination of efficiency and power. Bosch helped Audi develop their system and worked with Ferrari in developing their current system.

As much of the research into future engines is focused on fuels, this technology is focused on the delivery of these fuels into the combustion chamber in the most efficient and timely way possible.

The result is a more efficient use of the fuel without waste in the form of emissions. Direct Injection is a step beyond Fuel Injection which generally replaced the carburator as the primary means of delivering fuel to the cylinders of today's engines.

Ferrari kept their basic block assemblies but have redesigned the heads and fuel delivery mechanisms while adding advanced electronics to control the process. This is an example that there is still a lot of room left for making the internal combustion engine more efficient.

Here's the article... http://www.speedtv.com/article s/automotive/technology/40530/

Rb336
Username: Rb336

Post Number: 2600
Posted on Thursday, September 27, 2007 - 10:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is also what ford is doing with it's next family of engines

Peachlaser

Post Number: 124
Posted on Thursday, September 27, 2007 - 2:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Rb, do you know when the new Ford engines are coming online?

Kayakor
Username: Kayakor

Post Number: 10
Posted on Thursday, September 27, 2007 - 3:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sounds like great technology that enhances fuel economy, horsepower, and emissions. General Motors already sells cars with this technology. My Saturn Sky Red Line has a 260 horsepower 2.0L direct injected Ecotec four cylinder. I read that the '08 Cadillac CTS offers a 300+ horsepower 3.6L DOHC direct injected V6.

Rb336
Username: Rb336

Post Number: 2614
Posted on Thursday, September 27, 2007 - 3:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i'm not sure, i think the twin force will be in the Lincoln MkS when it comes out next year.

Peachlaser

Post Number: 125
Posted on Thursday, September 27, 2007 - 4:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks everyone. I did not realize how many manufacturers were already working with the technology. Audi really made it popular worldwide and perfected it in endurance racing. I think the important point here is that manufacturers are making attempts at becoming greener, even the performance manufacturers like Ferrari.

Abracadabra
Username: Abracadabra

Post Number: 81
Posted on Thursday, September 27, 2007 - 5:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ford has an example already in the direct injected turbo powering the Mazda CX-7. I do not know if Mazda developed it independently or not.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.