Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Matt Allen article « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Spartacus
Username: Spartacus

Post Number: 238
Posted on Thursday, September 27, 2007 - 10:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm surprised I didn't see anyone post anything about this.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20070926/NEW S01/709260307/1003/NEWS01

BY ZACHARY GORCHOW

FREE PRESS STAFF WRITER

Detroit Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick's press secretary acknowledged Tuesday that during the past four years he failed to live full time in the city of Detroit, or keep his automobile registration and insurance registered to his Detroit residence.

Matt Allen said he has owned a home in Detroit, but for personal reasons also has lived at his parents' home in Huntington Woods. Allen said his automobile and insurance are now registered in Detroit.

Advertisement

In an interview, Allen called the situation an oversight. He declined to elaborate on what the personal reasons were for living in Huntington Woods or how much time he spent there.

A number of city residents register their automobiles to addresses of relatives outside the city to avoid paying higher insurance rates.

Allen denied any effort to pay a lower insurance rate.

In late 2005, Kilpatrick ordered all of his appointees to live in the city.

Allen said he informed Kilpatrick of the situation and said the mayor was supportive of him disclosing the situation in light of media inquiries.

"I hope that this information coming to light today doesn't cause any embarrassment to city of Detroit residents or to Mayor Kilpatrick," Allen said.

"I ask the public to accept this explanation and sincere apology for my past mistakes."

City officials declined to comment beyond the statement Allen issued.

Is it just me, or does this story not add up? Why is he insuring his car in Detroit if he doesn't live in Detroit? Is he apologizing for living outside of Detroit, or is he apologizing for insurance fraud? Either way, the word "oversight" seems kind of strange.

Mrsjdaniels
Username: Mrsjdaniels

Post Number: 261
Posted on Thursday, September 27, 2007 - 11:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

detroituncovered has this posted a few days back...seems the mayor's spin doctor knows insurance is high too!

Susanarosa
Username: Susanarosa

Post Number: 1702
Posted on Thursday, September 27, 2007 - 11:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe this has something to do with it?

quote:

Auto theft:
Detroit is #2

Vehicle Theft rate City
26.45 Oakland
25.91 Detroit

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 2459
Posted on Thursday, September 27, 2007 - 11:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He's apologizing for moving to Detroit.

Seriously, this is such a non-issue.

Belleislerunner
Username: Belleislerunner

Post Number: 367
Posted on Thursday, September 27, 2007 - 11:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Most people get renewal notices for car insurance every six months. Step one is confirming the address at which you reside. I can understand an oversight but four years (8 renewals) crosses the threshold of "oversight" and into "willingly falsifying information."

Higgs1634
Username: Higgs1634

Post Number: 178
Posted on Thursday, September 27, 2007 - 11:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, you mean to say that there is someone in the Kilpatrick administration perpetrating a fraud for his own financial gain? Scandalous.

Irish_mafia
Username: Irish_mafia

Post Number: 1049
Posted on Thursday, September 27, 2007 - 11:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Seems to me that he has been thrown out of the house by his wife for fooling around...so he is staying at his parent's place.

Of course that is just rumour and innuendo.

Yvette248
Username: Yvette248

Post Number: 978
Posted on Thursday, September 27, 2007 - 11:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The entire State government is about to shutdown because our legislators WON'T DO THEIR D@MNED JOB and this is what you choose to focus on???

Spartacus
Username: Spartacus

Post Number: 239
Posted on Thursday, September 27, 2007 - 11:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Out of curiosity, are you responding the same way to every other post about something other than the State budget crisis, or do you just do this when the post is about an article critical of someone in Kwame's administration?

Kid_dynamite
Username: Kid_dynamite

Post Number: 255
Posted on Thursday, September 27, 2007 - 11:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

soooo.... Yvette you are suggesting that there should be no other subject worthy of discussion but the state government right now. Just stop posting on every other thread, huh?

Irish_mafia

Post Number: 1050
Posted on Thursday, September 27, 2007 - 11:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not sure how they relate to each other... that said:

Let it shut down or give us the $900MM in tax cuts that the Republicans have proposed.

Umcs
Username: Umcs

Post Number: 48
Posted on Thursday, September 27, 2007 - 11:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You know Irish,

If you take the $900 mil in tax cuts plus the closure of $500 mil in tax loopholes, we're only looking at a $400 mil tax increase. That's fairly appealing.

Irish_mafia

Post Number: 1051
Posted on Thursday, September 27, 2007 - 11:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

While I would never say that a tax increase is appealing UMCS, I agree with you that the $900MM in expense reductions is a hell of lot more digestible than the Governor's attempts to ram significantly higher taxes through to protect her special interests.

Oakmangirl
Username: Oakmangirl

Post Number: 433
Posted on Thursday, September 27, 2007 - 12:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Isn't this related to Andylinn's graduate essay?

Granmontrules
Username: Granmontrules

Post Number: 178
Posted on Thursday, September 27, 2007 - 12:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He lives in the City. My sister-inlaw and his wife work together - they have two kids and live in Indian Village. She said she was at his house a couple of weeks ago for some neighborhood event.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 5420
Posted on Thursday, September 27, 2007 - 2:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK... Susanarosa, I reread the article... and my first reading gave me the impression that Allen was talking FOR Kwame, not about himself... my bad... post deleted.

(Message edited by Gistok on September 27, 2007)

Susanarosa

Post Number: 1707
Posted on Thursday, September 27, 2007 - 2:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gistok's a little late to the party.

Yooper
Username: Yooper

Post Number: 88
Posted on Thursday, September 27, 2007 - 2:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are Matt Allen and Kwame brothers?

Susanarosa

Post Number: 1708
Posted on Thursday, September 27, 2007 - 2:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Brothers from another mother?

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 10273
Posted on Thursday, September 27, 2007 - 3:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bros from different hos?

Higgs1634

Post Number: 181
Posted on Thursday, September 27, 2007 - 4:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are you calling the Honorable Carolyn C. Kilpatrick a "ho"?

Susanarosa

Post Number: 1710
Posted on Thursday, September 27, 2007 - 4:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This place has officially lost its sense of humor.

Higgs1634

Post Number: 183
Posted on Thursday, September 27, 2007 - 4:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

did this place ever have one to begin with?

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 603
Posted on Thursday, September 27, 2007 - 4:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

susanarosa sure as hell doesnt

Belleislerunner
Username: Belleislerunner

Post Number: 368
Posted on Thursday, September 27, 2007 - 5:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just took "ho" as shorthand for "honorable"

Irish_mafia

Post Number: 1053
Posted on Thursday, September 27, 2007 - 9:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

or horrible... as the case may be

I know, its kind of a cheeky statement

Bob_cosgrove
Username: Bob_cosgrove

Post Number: 576
Posted on Saturday, September 29, 2007 - 9:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've known Matt Allen for about 4 years, long before he was the Mayor's press secretary. We've served together on the Historic Indian Village Association Board of Directors.

During that time, Matt has always maintained a residence on Seminole. I find him to be a very dedicated city employee and a very honorable person as is his wife.

As a professional journalist, I can understand why this story is news in the eyes of the Detroit Free Press, although there are certainly better stories out there that don't get covered.

The real story is the cost of the automobile insurnce and the fact the State of Michgan Insurance Commission has done nothing about the insurance company prejudice against the inner city.

Having also spent 31-years in the life insurance industry, while not an expert on casualty insurance, I think I know enough about the insurance industry to make this comment: The idea behind all insurance is to spread the risk. This should be done for the five-counties in the metropolitan Detroit area.

While my home owners insurance is line with the suburbs, I pay $3,600 a year for automobile insurance. My best friend, who lives less than six miles away in Grosse Pointe pays $900 for the same coverage.

Add to that cost of the taxes - I am protected under the Headlee Amendment and my taxes are about $3,000 per. A close neighbor who moved in about 8 years ago and whose house is only slightly larger than mine $14,000.

There are a lot of great reasons for living in Detroit, but cost of living isn't necessarily one of them.

Bob Cosgrove

Wash_man
Username: Wash_man

Post Number: 479
Posted on Saturday, September 29, 2007 - 11:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Do you and your friend have comparable cars and do they have comparable theft rates?

Bob_cosgrove
Username: Bob_cosgrove

Post Number: 577
Posted on Sunday, September 30, 2007 - 1:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The answer to Wash_man's question is yes, I'm comparing apples and apples.

The question sounds like waht an acutary would ask - I recall one of the New England Life actuaries at a meeting at the Boston headquarters kidding by saying, "In college wanted to become an accountant, but I didn't have the personality, so I became an acutuary."

So you don't have to look it up, in insurance companies acutuaries are the ones that calculate the rates based on a number of factors including past exerience.

In life insurance rate calculations are mainly based on longevity and health, unlike casualty insurance where the risk factors are much more diverse.

Bob Cosgrove

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.