Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » D-Town...K-Ville and Confusion « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Chuckjav
Username: Chuckjav

Post Number: 92
Posted on Thursday, September 27, 2007 - 1:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If I was to create a television series about Detroit, a logical choice for the title could very well be "D-Town"

Why dee-hell does FOX call their TV action-drama series, set in New Orleans...."K-Ville"?

Here I was thinking that the show was about the University of Tennessee - or Knoxville.

Seems goofy.

PS Maybe it's just me but, ever since visiting The Big Easy in 1988, I've always thought that New Orleans is quite a lot like Detroit - very French & very old.

Rb336
Username: Rb336

Post Number: 2608
Posted on Thursday, September 27, 2007 - 1:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

katrina ville. stupid. and with all the great NO music available, why did the ads use mississippi/detroit JLH's "boom boom"?

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 2807
Posted on Thursday, September 27, 2007 - 1:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rb, go in Howe's Bayou in Ferndale and you will be asking yourself a similiar question. Nothing like crappy top 40 music in a New Orleans themed restaurant to set the mood.

Upinottawa
Username: Upinottawa

Post Number: 961
Posted on Thursday, September 27, 2007 - 1:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit used to be French -- all that is left are the mispronounced street names.

The Northshore of Essex County used to be French -- but that population is very diluted now.

I wouldn't exactly call N.O. or Detroit "very old", but I do get your point.

Chuckjav
Username: Chuckjav

Post Number: 93
Posted on Thursday, September 27, 2007 - 2:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Rb336 - I should have guessed...KVille indeed; that is priceless (not).

Detroit, founded in 1701 - really, really old.

Speaking of Cajun cuisine - there is a joint in Tallahassee, about two miles east of FSU baseball stadium, out of this here world!

Bring on the Zydeco, gator tail, and crawdads.

Yeee-Heeeee!

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 6599
Posted on Thursday, September 27, 2007 - 2:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Katrina - New Orleans = K-Ville. A Fox series that deals with 2 New Orleans cops fighting everyday crimes in ghettos of New Orleans during post Katrina.

Mrsjdaniels
Username: Mrsjdaniels

Post Number: 264
Posted on Thursday, September 27, 2007 - 10:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i think i'd call it MotorTown...ode to Mandela :-)

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 5423
Posted on Thursday, September 27, 2007 - 11:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Upinottawa, what do you mean that Detroit and New Orleans are "not very old"?

The American Atlantic ports, New Mexico Spanish Missions and Lower Canada (Quebec City and Montreal) may have us beat (1600's), but Detroit (founded 1701) and New Orleans (founded 1712) have Upper Canada (Toronto and Ottawa) beaten by a long shot.

Toronto was first settled in 1793 as Fort York, but was not named Toronto until 1834 (they had their centennial in 1934). And Ottawa is even younger... first incorporated as Bytown in 1827, and not named Ottawa until 1855.

Even Chicago (founded in 1783 as a fort, but not named Chicago until 1833) and Cleveland (founded 1796) are youngin's compared to Detroit!

So yes Detroit (name going back to 1701) is the oldest continuously occupied city in the USA between the Appalachian and Rocky Mountains... that makes it "very old". :-)

(Message edited by Gistok on September 27, 2007)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.